• Published 18th Jan 2012
  • 1,302 Views, 10 Comments

Hosting Luna's Student - Kartac



Twilight doesn't hesitate to host Luna's first student when he visits Ponyville for research.

  • ...
4
 10
 1,302

Reasoning, Research, and Reflection

A/N: Hey friends, Pony Ranger Green here. I just wanted to thank everyone for the outstanding support the first chapter of the story has received. The response, especially compared to my other story 'Forest for the Trees' has been all heavily positive. I also want to throw a huge thank you out to my proofreader Arklight, who has been combing my story for consistency. However he is unfortunately indisposed this week, so instead of having all of you wait another week. I made it to a natural stopping point in chapter two, and decided to just upload it as a shorter 2 & 3 instead.

Enjoy!

###

Chapter 2: Reasoning, Research, and Reflection

Twilight really couldn't help but smile as she watched Spike and Stoneheart argue from across the room. She smirked as Spike desperately tried to fish various dragon reference guides out of a trashcan that Stoneheart was vigilantly guarding, having put them there for a reason. The argument was honestly the perfect capstone to Stoneheart's first week in Ponyville. Much like her first visit, all of the juiciest bits happened on the first day. Twilight remembered Stoneheart showing up at Sugarcube Corner that first day covered in dirt, eyes bloodshot and his neatly parted (yet somehow still messy) mane absolutely disheveled. Her first reaction to his appearance had naturally been laughter. Then she heard the story of what happened in the two hours she'd left him alone.

Apparently he had decided that the best way to explore the town was to head out to the outskirts and work his way in. Which would've been a fantastic plan had he not stumbled onto the grounds of a significantly large apple farm, currently on the hunt for an apple thief. It took Stoneheart over an hour to convince the orange mare who had caught him trespassing that he meant no harm, and to get untied.

In a rush to make it to Sugarcube Corner, Stoneheart had bolted back into town. Where, in his haste, he smacked right into Spike, who had snuck out of the library to go see a particular fashionista before taking over for Twilight. Apparently Spike had exaggerated the story of the previous night just a little bit, using words like 'attacked' and 'evil tools'. This meant that Stoneheart had been forced to spend most of his remaining exploration time getting the dressmaker's coiffure out of his face.

Luckily, he'd been saved by a rainbow pegasus. Who, flying faster than her own good, smashed into him while Rarity was berating him. Sending him blissfully, but painfully, flying away from the fashionista's unnecessary arguements. After surviving the impact, Stoneheart didn't even bother to brush himself off, just running as fast as he could for Sugarcube Corner.

The best part for her though, was when Stoneheart had learned that those ponies were not only Twilight's friends, but also the Elements of Harmony. With her smile widening, she was snapped from her daydream by her male guest's voice.

"Twilight."

She had heard him speak her name so many times in the last week that everytime she heard it, she giggled inside like a schoolfilly. Stoneheart usually only called out for her under one circumstance. To settle a fight between the two testosterone infused residents.

"Yes, Stoneheart?"

"Could you tell the purple and green menace over here that he is in my room and I'll do what I want in it?"

Twilight giggled under her breath, she still felt bad about the fact that Stoneheart was sleeping on a couch down in the main library. She was thankful how cavalier he had been after hearing that the only spare bed was in her room and that she wasn't comfortable with him sleeping in it.

"As long as you aren't throwing out any books." Twilight said teasingly, knowing that's exactly what he was trying, for the third time.

"Pfft, these are barely that. I don't even want to call them tabloids." Stoneheart sputtered before ultimately giving up and letting Spike take the books out of the can. He still stood defiantly between Spike and the shelf however.

"Anyway, I'm going to wash up and go to bed if you want to use the balcony." Twilight said to Stoneheart, hoping to move him.

Stoneheart cringed a bit, his condition to not having a bed was that he could use Twilight's balcony for a few minutes every night. Since the first few nights he'd snuck out to do that while Twilight had been bathing the purple unicorn now informed him when she was doing so. Of course, it was just her nature to not realize how awkward that was to hear as a guest. He watched Twilight climb up but didn't follow her, instead waiting at the bottom of the stairs. Ignoring the triumphant celebrations of Spike as he reshelved the guides.

After a few minutes of silence, Spike gave Stoneheart an awkward stare.

"You know she's probably in the bath now, you can just go upstairs." He said.

Stoneheart proceeded cautiously, there had been a reason he stopped himself initially. Now, thanks to that stupid purple gremlin's interruption, he no longer remembered why. He walked into Twilight's room slowly, surveying the scene. He was very thankful to see the crack of light coming from the bathroom door, indicating her presence in it. He quickly trotted across the room, noticing just one thing out of place, which made him remember what he'd been waiting for at the bottom of the stairs. He pushed open the double doors and effectively marched onto the balcony.

The air was cool, and incredibly refreshing after a heated debate. He took a couple deep breaths to enjoy the sensation of the spring night before basking in the moonlight provided by his princess. He looked out over the fields behind the library, enjoying the occasional soft light of a loose ponyvillian house. This balcony showed him exactly why Ponyville was so great, he could honestly see why somepony would make a life happen here. He turned his head a little to the side and managed to see a small purple piece leaning around the doorframe.

"I was waiting for you."

Twilight was immediately taken aback, ducking behind the wall.

"How did you know?"

"First, you didn't run the water, I would've heard it downstairs. Also, you left your towel hanging from the cornerpost of your bed, you're much too analytical to forget something like that."

Twilight sheepishly stepped out onto the balcony, she felt bad trying to be deceitful but she was way too curious about what Stoneheart needed the balcony for.

"She's late." Stoneheart spoke, still staring at the sky.

"Who?"

"Luna."

Twilight walked up alongside him and placed her front hooves on the balcony rail, she looked at him for a second then tried to follow his line of sight to the sky. She noticed his target, one star caught amongst clouds constantly threatening to cover it's glow. Then it shone, briefly, more brilliantly then that tiny star ever could.

Stoneheart began to speak softly, "Goodnight my princess."

Twilight watched him in confused silence as Stoneheart talked about his day with somepony who was not actually there. She heard him discuss the fact that he had agreed to teach Cheerilee's class a little about dragons every week, and how surprised he was at the good night's sleep he was consistently having on Twilight's couch. He also talked a little bit about Spike and the dragon's active attempts to resist being studied.

Twilight didn't exactly know what to make of this display. She shifted along the railing, closer to Stoneheart. Then her curiousity got the better of her and she interrupted.

"What exactly are you doing?"

Stoneheart ignored her briefly, continuing his talk. However, after several minutes of her intense staring, he chose instead to just give a fond farewell before answering her.

"Luna likes to hear about my day while she meditates. She also seems to think that reflection is good for me."

Twilight continued to shuffle closer to him leaving little space between them.

"So do you only reflect about your day?"

Stoneheart turned to Twilight, wearing a gentle smile on his face.

"No, sometimes I talk about life, or fears. I've gone on some research trips where I've asked her to take care of my affairs. I'm a little afraid of dying, apparently my father is too, runs in the family I guess."

"So why do you do such dangerous research?"

"Why did you fight Nightmare Moon, or Discord?"

"Because it was my duty."

Stoneheart gave her a deadpan stare. She understood immediately, shifting her face into a quiet 'oh'. She shifted even closer to Stoneheart, leaving them shoulder to shoulder on the balcony. Twilight could feel his warmth against her and it felt good mixing with the cool air around them. It comforted her greatly.

"You don't give yourself enough credit Stoneheart. In those situations, I had to act. I mean, I didn't know it at the time but Princess Celestia had trained me for that. You face the prospect of death all the time and you don't have to. You only do it to fight ignorance, and at the very least... That makes you one of the most dedicated scholars I've ever met."

Stoneheart just stared. Here she stood alongside him, trying to explain to him, how he was better then her! She is the savior of Equestria. She couldn't possibly be so clueless.

"That little speech there, magical talent or not, is why Celestia chose you."

Twilight smiled at him before pushing off the rail and proceeding to head back inside.

"Oh Twilight?"

"Yes?"

"If I wanted a feel for where dragons in the area would nest. Is there someone nearby I should talk to?"

"I can take you to see Zecora tomorrow."

Stoneheart watched her walk back inside and shut the door before a smile crept onto his face. Twilight Sparkle, Element of Magic, Protector of Equestria. Subtly a hero to hundreds of thousands, if not more. Yet still humble, cleverly masking her accomplishments as duty, doing nothing to pad her own ego.

His eyes glinted and his cheeks gently shifted in color. He was more than a little sad that his research would mean less time around her, and the library.

Luna was right, reflection does a pony good.

###

A/N (2): So there it is, chapter 2. Would've been twice as long before, but like I said, I couldn't make you wait. Arklight didn't get a chance to proofread all of this so of course any of that would be appreciated in the comments. The support so far is awesome.

As always, comment and let me know what you like, or don't like.