• Published 8th Jan 2013
  • 1,223 Views, 16 Comments

Angel and Devil - Shaq-of-All-Trades



One day Fluttershy finds a cute black bunny who looks an awful lot like Angel Bunny...

  • ...
1
 16
 1,223

Prologue

Our tale begins with a pony, but she is not the star. No, she is but a player in this game, a necessity to bring in the real stars. Though she will be the beginning and the end, she could just as easily be another. No, the two who truly matter are one whom has been under her care for quite some time, and one who has just begun their life with her. These two are the focus of this story, for the mystery surrounding them is the conflict.

Fur of snow, with eyes of blue; Angel be thy name, though it is far from the truth. Fur of ash, with eyes so red; Devil by thy name, though there is far more to be said.

Though they may only be bunnies, their conflict may prove more important than any may realize. These two, opposites both physically, mentally, and emotionally, may very well control the fate of Equestria. As they say, big things come in small packages. Oh, do you not believe that such importance is on these two creatures? Then you are truly foolish. Never doubt the power of something because it is small. Take a seed for instance: such a tiny object may one day sprout into a mighty oak, who's roots crush stone and soil, and who's branches reach towards the heavens.

Now, take heed of my warning. This story is a tool for teaching. If you can not find the lesson, then you have yet to truly read this work. Fictional though they may be, important the value is for life.

Look now into a white world, cleansed of all pain and sadness, where everything may die and everything may be forgotten...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fluttershy carefully wrapped her scarf around her neck, then checked in a mirror. The weather patrol had scheduled a simple week of snow, but due to an error, the town was experiencing a snowstorm that would likely last the rest of the month. Her animal friends who lived outside needed her to feed them regularly, and to check the fires keeping their homes warm. Angel Bunny hopped onto the desk beside her. "Oh, Angel," she said, "Did you need anything?"

Angel pointed to his tummy, and rubbed it. Fluttershy understood the message; Angel was hungry. She looked around, and found a carrot. She gave it to the little white bunny, then proceeded out the door. A wall of snow fell onto her, covering her from head to hoof. She popped her head out, only to see Angel's disapproving glare. She smiled embarrassedly, then got out of the snow. She'd have to clean up when she got back. She looked around at the landscape. The sky was dark with clouds, and snow poured down with the fierceness of an angered mare. She shivered and pulled her scarf tighter around her throat. She didn't want to stay out long.

She made her way to her shed, and got out the food for her different animal friends. Though there was a huge variety to deal with, none of the animals ate much, meaning she didn't have much to carry. She huffed and grabbed all the food, placing it on her back. The cold wind was harsh; Fluttershy wanted to get back in soon and sit by her warm fireplace. The thought made her smile and quickened her pace.

Quickly feeding her animal friends, Fluttershy managed to finish checking all she had to in under fifteen minutes. She just finished in the chicken coop, when she heard a whimper come from the direction of the Everfree Forest. She hesitated; usually sounds from the Everfree Forest weren't good. But the whimpering was so pitiable that she felt she had to go. She walked over past her fence, and saw a dark smudge against all the whiteness. She hurried to it, and nudged it with her hoof. It shivered, and she picked it up.

"Oh my!" she gasped. It was an adorable little bunny with soft black fur and an adorable little nose. It shivered in her arms, and felt as if it was near freezing. Fluttershy tucked it into her scarf, and hurried back to her cottage. "Don't worry friend; I'll nurse you back to health." She opened the door carefully, then swept out the snow. She moved quickly to the fireplace and took the bunny from her scarf. She set it down, and it extended outwards towards the heat. Fluttershy tilted her head. "That's strange... you look just like Angel Bunny."

At that moment, Angel hopped into the room and onto Fluttershy's head. He looked down to see what she was playing with, then froze in place. Fluttershy gently lifted him off her head and set him on the ground beside the other bunny.

"Angel, isn't this cute? There's a little bunny who looks just like you!" Fluttershy said giddily. She put them closer together, though Angel struggled as much as he could against her. She tilted her head confused. "Angel Bunny, don't you want to play with a bunny like you? I know there aren't often many near Ponyville, so having a bunny friend could make you less lonely." Angel Bunny looked at Fluttershy with pleading in his eyes. He pointed to the black bunny, then at the door. The message was quite clear. "Angel Bunny! I could never abandon a cute little critter in a snowstorm. That would be rude!"

The bunny began to stir, rubbing its eyes as if waking from a nap. The bunny looked up at Fluttershy, and its eyes became saucers. It immediately sprang up and hugged her neck tightly. She patted the bunny's head, and looked at Angel. He was shaking something fierce. He got up to move when the bunny turned and saw him. Once more it pounced, this time holding Angel Bunny. Angel struggles with all his might to break free, but the bunny held him in a death grip. Fluttershy carefully separated the two.

"Now Miss Bunny, we need to give you a name. It won't do just calling you 'Miss Bunny' all the time, oh no it won't!" Flutershy stuck her hoof to her mouth and pondered. The bunny started to hop in place, as though she couldn't wait. She was an energetic little devil, wasn't she? That gave Fluttershy an idea. "Why don't I call you Devil Bunny? You've got so much energy, and it feels right somehow."

Devil Bunny hopped high to the ceiling. It seemed she liked her new name. She bounced all around the cottage making happy sounds. Fluttershy smiled, and went to the kitchenette. She had fed her outdoor friends, and now she, Angel, and their guest, Devil, had to eat. She decided the best meal would be a light stew. She set the water to boil, and moved away to her pantry to get the ingredients. She came out and spread the ingredients on the table. She placed a few pieces of bread into the pot, and proceeded to chop up vegetables. When she was done, she moved her attention to mixing some water and flour with butter. Her entire attention was dedicated to what she was doing, so she didn't notice that Devil Bunny had moved behind her and was holding her knife...

Angel quickly leaped and knocked over the black bunny, the knife clattering to the floor. The noise shocked Fluttershy from what she was doing, and she turned to see Angel on top of Devil, pinning her down. "Angel Bunny! What are you doing? You know not to play around near knives!" Angel looked at Fluttershy in disbelief. He pointed to Devil, then to the knife, then to her, but the message wouldn't get through. Fluttershy turned back to her cooking, and Angel looked down at Devil. The black bunny smiled at him, and pushed him off.

They eyed each other, and in the silent language of the bunnies, they declared war. This would be a battle not only for supremacy, but for survival.