• Published 1st Oct 2011
  • 3,976 Views, 48 Comments

The Mage - remsaman

  • ...
2
 48
 3,976

Chapter 2: The Hero

Kent awoke with a jolt.

The last thing he remembered was tumbling down a hill, and then passing out from huge amounts of pain. He lifted himself off his back and surveyed the area around. He was at the base of the mountain alright, but surrounded by lush forests and damp grass. He stood up, armour clinking against itself, and started to walk over to his sack, luckily, everything was still inside. Just as he was about to reach out for the sack, he heard a high pitched scream coming from the forest.

"Damsel in distress? Hope she's rich, or pretty, either works fine for me." Kent reached for his sword, but his fingers wouldn't respond from inside his gloves. He cursed the tight armour for cutting off his blood circulation. "No matter, ill rescue her bare handed." He ran off into the woods, overconfident in his abilities. After a few seconds of running, Kent reached a clearing, and saw a manticore swiping at a fallen down tree. He saw a few tufts of hair poking up from the log, as the manticore swung its ferocious razor sharp claws, the log broke more and more, Kent dove forwards as the manticore was about to take another swipe, wrapped his arms around the figures hiding behind the log, and braced for impact. One claw ripped off the back off his armour, and he felt like a huge weight had been lifted from him, he dismissed the thought as fatigue. he opened his eyes and saw three foals wearing red and gold capes, they were all shaking in their hooves. His eyes widened, but then just assumed they belonged to a rich man who would pay dearly to have them back. although there was something about that white one and that orange one....

The manticore roared, Kent threw the orange foal onto his shoulder and the other two under his arms, and he ran as fast as he could. He was trained for endurance, so something like this was nothing more then a training exercise for him, a deadly one at that. He was starting to outrun it, before he thought he heard someone tell him to "look out for that cliff" He looked forward and saw the bushes part, before the edge of a cliff suddenly made itself obvious. The three foals screamed (could they even do that?) as Kent rushed off the cliff. He closed his eyes and accepted his fate...

But nothing happened.

Kent opened his eyes and saw the bottom of the cliff, but it wasn't getting any closer. He looked around and saw each of the foals with their eyes shut and teeth clenched. The manticore was pacing itself on the side of the cliff they just came from. Panicking, Kent looked in all directions, up, down, left, right, nothing was different.
What about his back? He leaned his neck to the side and saw a blue blur coming from his middle back. Confused, he leaned forward, and moved forward, just to make sure they were his. Slightly frightened, he made his way to the other side of the cliff and`set the foals down. He started to worry and tried to stop them, he couldn't do it, suddenly, one of the foals rose up from the other two

"Hey! You're a pegasus too!"

"ARGH!" Kent yelled a little and fell backwards in surprise, he hit the ground hard.

"Are you alright mister?" Kent's vision slowly focused, and he saw the three foals standing infront of him with worried looks on their faces. His eyes transfixed on the white one, he noticed a horn protruding from the top of its head.

"Ah' think somethin' scared him" One with a red mane and yellowish skin stopped, and looked at it's flank "Aww, no cutie mark." The other two echoed. before the yellow one turned back to Kent "Wow mister, you saved our lives! You must be a hero! Like from the old storybooks!"

Kent, still a little distraught, stood up shakily and leaned his head against wall.

Crunch

"AH FFF-" Kent shoved his limp hands against his head and threw off the helmet

"Uhh.." The white foal started to speak "Are you alright? You look like you crushed your ear pretty hard"

Kent, starting to get used to the foals talking, replied "Don't be silly, my ears are on the side of-" he stopped when he felt two ears on the top of his head, both throbbing in pain. He used his teeth to rip off his gloves, and started in disbelief. His hands had been replaced with hooves. He took off his boots, and they were much the same as well. He turned to the three foals. "Do any you have a mirror?" The white foal messed around with its, mane, revealing a horn, and a compact mirror.

"I always keep one with me, my big sister says I should always look my best." Kent picked up the mirror between two hooves, still staring at the foals horn. "Haven't you ever seen a unicorn before sir?"

"No... I can't say I have..."

"Well then glad to meet you! I'm Sweetie Belle, and this is Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo!" She started bouncing around her two friends. Kent just tried to give his best smile.

Kent examined himself in the mirror, it was a fair shock to him. His face was no longer human, it was elongated and thicker. His eyes were now a golden colour, and he had wild bright silver hair with dark grey streaks through it. His skin, now a sapphire blue fur. And he had wings protruding out of the back of his broken chest piece. He was stunned for a moment, before realising that he was still in front of the three fillies.

"So where do you girls live." Kent still found it strange that he was talking to horses, but he was getting used to the idea. After all, he and his comrades have encountered stranger things.

"Oh we live in Ponyville! It's just over there!" Scootaloo pointed her hoof at a nearby village. "Why, where do you come from?"

" The names Kent, and where I come from isn't your concern. Do you all need help getting down or...?"

"Oh don't worry, we can handle ourselves!" Apple Bloom went behind a rock and pulled out some gear

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS ROCK CLIMBERS! YAY!" The cheer nearly knocked Kent off the edge of the cliff. The three fillies hooked the ropes to the rock face and strapped themselves into vests, then jumped off the edge. Kent panicked and rushed over to the edge, then relaxed as he saw the three rappelling down the side. He walked back to the other edge of the cliff, the manticore was gone, but he still had to figure out how to control his wings to get to the other side. He focused on that particular part of his back, and after a bit of strain, his wings fluttered a bit. This made Kent smile, but it was only just a start.

It took Kent a while, but after around half an hour, he was able to gain enough control over his wings to sustain a few seconds of flight. his armour only made it harder, but he wouldn't leave it behind, it was the only thing he had left of his father.
He leaned his back hooves against the rock face, and then started running fast towards the cliff's edge. He leaped off, and focused hard on his wings.

Too hard. His wings flapped vigorously, his head smashed into the opposite sides cliff-face.

"FFFFFUUUUUUUU-" He held his hooves to his head, and started to fall. "That hurt like a b- oh right I'm falling" He tried to ignore the pain, and concentrate back on his wings. When he stopped falling he was a few metres from a very hard ground. He flew back up to the forested edge of the cliff, and fell flat on his face. "Ugh... why me..."

Kent dragged himself back to his loot sack, it was easy to find, as there was only one mountain in the area that had a stone gateway on the top, and a trail left behind when he slid down the side. He threw his armour off, it wasn't easy without hands, but he managed to do it with a few sticks and some rocks. He lay down on the grass and stared at the sky. He never really paid attention to the sky, it was always so bland and boring. But now... It just seemed... peaceful. Through all they had been through, this was the only time he really got to relax and think.

"The sky is so clear today." he mumbled to himself before dozing off to sleep.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

"Hey fella, You ok there buddy?" Kent's eyes awoke with a jolt, he looked at the sun, it had only moved... maybe half an inch? he wasn't asleep for long, that's for sure. He rolled over and looked at whoever woke him up. Before him stood a Sky-blue pegasus with a rainbow mane, she gave him a grin before continuing "So you're the colt that saved Lil' Scootaloo and her friends eh? She came right up and told me, as well as all the other ponies in town, ha ha. Name's Rainbow Dash. I'm the local weatherpony." She extended a hoof, they shook for a second before she continued "So, where you headed?"

Kent put on his armour. "Well actually, I'm just looking for my companions that I lost when we got here. Their names ar-"

"Looking for friends? No problem! Just fly behind me and I'll take you to town. They're sure to be there" Kent just stood there, shifting on one hoof. "What are you waiting for?"

"I... Can't fly..."

"And you call yourself a pegasus..."

"Actually I-"

"No matter. I'm an excellent flight instructor, just sit tight and follow my lead." Rainbow lands on the ground and begins her lesson "Step one, feel your wings. If you can't feel your wings, then somethings wrong."

"Is this going to take much longer?"

"HUSH! Now step two, flap your wings. pretend that you are falling off a cliff"

"Why pretend?" Kent chuckled, Rainbow just gave him a glare.

After a long and vigorous tutorial, Kent was still unable to get off the ground.

"I think I see the problem." Rainbow trotted up to Kent, reared up and bucked his armour off.

"Hey! That was made by my father!"

"And now its off. Can you get off the ground yet?"

Still pissed off, Kent did as Rainbow instructed, and got a few feet off the ground.

"Hey, I'm doing it! This is awesome! i could ju- arrgh!" He fell to the ground after being hit by a rock.

"you gotta learn to fly with distractions." Rainbow tossed a rock up in her hoof. "Try again."

Suddenly, an explosion rocked the area. Rainbow and Kent both looked immediately at the source, rocks were falling out of the sky, with rainbow fires trailing each.

Kent looked around for his armour, but couldn't find it anywhere. Panicking, he rummaged through his loot sack and pulled out the golden armour he looted from the castle. It fit perfectly.

"Hey, where'd you get that?" Rainbow questioned

"Doesn't matter. stay here and guard my stuff." And with that, he bolted off into the sky. a faint voice could be heard from behind

"Hey, you're doing it!"

Kent zoomed through the sky, he noticed how the armour had perfectly shaped holes for the wings, and also was lightweight, it gleamed like the sun. He felt a tear stream down his face, he realised that he had just abandoned the armour that his father made for him before he died. the one and only memory of his one true father figure.
He landed just outside of the town, his wings were tired(this was the second time he used them, first time on purpose.) When he walked through the town, all the other ponies in town looked at him strangely, could be the armour, could be that he just sped in from the mountain tops unannounced.

As he was nearing the source of the explosion, he was interrupted by Scootaloo.

"Hey Kent, you should come with me, there's something awesome you should see!"

"Kid, I really don't have time."

"Come on! It'll be worth it! Honest!"

"Fine. But only if it will just take a second"

"I promise! Come on!"

Kent sighed and followed Scootaloo, it had better be worth it. A few moments later the most heavenly of smells found its way to Kent's nostrils. All his previous thoughts seemed to melt away as the smell of baked goods pierced his nose and took over. He kept following Scootaloo, but no longer reluctantly. A store with a giant cup cake on the roof came into view, with a sign marking "Sugarcube Corner".

"Scootaloo" Kent tried to resist the aroma's coming from the bakery "This really isn't the time for sweets"

"Sweets? Just come inside and see!" Scootaloo started tugging on Kent's tail.

"Alright alright. Geeze.." Kent rolled his eyes and follow the filly into the store.

The store was dark. Kent couldn't see Scootaloo anymore

"Is anyone here? Hello? Scootaloo?"

"SURPRISE"

Kent fell over backwards. Every pony in the room rushed around to see if he was alright.

"Ow, my head." Kent rubbed his head with his hoof

"Are you alright? Because you should be having fun and it's not easy to have fun if you are hurt at a party!" A pink pony with poofy hair bounced in front of him. "Here have one these!" The pink pony grabbed a cupcake from a nearby table and shoved it in his mouth. As he slowly chewed, a wave of flavours burst and surrounded his mouth, his eyes nearly rolled into the back of his head from how delicious it was. The pink pony giggled at his reaction. "That happens a lot the first time. My names Pinkie Pie!"

"Could someone explain what's going on. I am really confused right now."

"Well, silly, This is a "Thank-you-Kent-for-saving-scootaloo-Apple Bloom-and-Sweetie Belle-from-a-manticore party!"

"That explains a lot, like the fireworks"

"Fireworks?" Pinkie had a serious look on her face. "I didn't plan any fireworks." Her expression immediately changed "But oh well! LETS PARTY!" Kent tried to get to the door, but was stopped by a hoard of ponies dancing and partying.

Kent groaned. "Well as long as I'm here, I should at least try to enjoy myself." He trotted over to the snacks table and dug in.

_________________________________________________________________________________________


It was late at night. Kent's stomach was bursting at the seams from eating too much. it didn't help that Pinkie Pie made such good food.

"Oh crap" He just remembered that his loot sack was at the base of the mountain, and he couldn't fly after eating so much, and to make matters worse, he didn't have a place to stay, he lay down on a park bench and let out a huge moan, his stomach was killing him. He took off his helmet and rested it at his side. He started to drift off to sleep before being startled by a voice

"Oh my, you poor thing"

"Who are you calling a thing." Kent put his helmet on and rolled over to see a white unicorn staring him in the face. "Uhh.. Hello miss."

"Rarity, It's a pleasure, Kent."

"I'm sorry do I know you?"

"You saved my sister from the manticore. I would like to return the favour. Is there anything I can do?"

"Well now that you mention it, I could use a room to stay for the night."

"Of course darling! I have a spare room upstairs, feel free to stay as long as you want. Just follow me and I'll show you where I live."

"Alright, just slow down. I think I ate a little too much"

After a few minutes, Kent and Rarity approached The Carousel Boutique. Rarity unlocked the door with her keys, before asking

"Please be quiet, Sweetie Belle has had a big day and should get her rest." Kent nodded and walked inside. The entire building was laden with Dress horses, cloth, and frilly decorations.

"Seems a bit girly." Rarity shot him a look, before showing him his room upstairs. "Thanks miss Rarity. It was kind of you to be so generous"

"Think nothing of it dear, now get some rest. After what happened I'm sure you'll need it." She closed the door, Kent placed his armour in a pile, threw himself onto the bed and drifted off to sleep.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Kent hadn't slept that well in a long time. It felt good to be in an actual bed, instead of in a bedroll. He dreamed of being back home, eating a nice meal with his mother and father, who he hadn't seen in sixteen years. He had signed up for The Blade's when his father died.

Kent woke up on the floor. Covered in his sheets. There was a basket of apples on the bedside table, with a note attached saying "From Apple Bloom" He smiled, and stood up, unravelling the sheets. He looked for his armour, but it wasn't where he left it! He panicked a little, but calmed a little when he saw a note from Rarity attached to the wardrobe.

"Dear Kent

I'm sorry for leaving you on the floor, but you were a bit... restless. I didn't want to wake you. I have placed your armour on a dress horse in this wardrobe. I will be out of the store today, but say hello to Sweetie Belle if she is awake.


~Rarity

True to the note, when he opened the wardrobe, a pristine dress horse was covered head to hoof in armour. He removed it from the Dress horse and put it on.

Kent took a bite of one of the apples. It was sweet and delicious. He placed it back in the basket for later and stepped outside.

It was a glorious day. The sun was shining, there were few clouds in the sky, and the birds were chirping. Kent took a few steps out of the boutique, He took a sniff of the morning air, fresh and crisp. After wandering around a bit, trying to get accustomed to the residents of Ponyville, he was stopped in his tracks by a familiar sky-blue pegasus.

"There you are, you kept me waiting all day! Here's your loot back." Rainbow tossed his loot sack in front of him, gold and jewels spilling onto the ground.
"I'm on to you, don't think this is the last time you'll see me." She then sped off into the sky, leaving a confused Kent to put everything back in the bag.

"What's up with her?"