• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 483 Views, 8 Comments

Tale of Stars and Monsters - Platypony



Twilight and Derpy have recently discovered a shared passion for the stars. What they see there will lead them on a quest to save the balance of Equestria.

  • ...
5
 8
 483

Prologue

Twilight was troubled to say the least. She was pacing her bedroom worriedly trying to calm herself. She was expecting a very important book that was vital to her recent studies, and it was late getting to her.

She just didn’t know what could have happened. The mail had been delivered several hours earlier, but the book had failed to appear with the rest of the post. It just didn't make sense! It was supposed to arrive today and she hadn't received any delay notice or heard about any problem that could have caused such a delay.

However this didn't stop Twilight Sparkle from imagining the worst. At this point she was begging to worry that the order had gotten screwed up, or the book lost on the way. Also among the list of fears was bandits, book eating monsters, rouge blizzard causing the book to be used as fuel for a fire, and jealous wizards destroying all copies of the book just to set her back in her work. She was worrying Spike.

"Twilight, calm down I'm sure it's just a small delay. It'll probably be here tomorrow and you'll feel silly for getting this worked up over it."

"How could you know that? What if it never comes and I can't do my research on celestial movement. What if I don't finish and all of Equestria is set back scientifically for a thousand years!"

"I seriously doubt that's gonna happen.” Spike was starting to feel another "Twilight Panic Attack" coming on and was starting to mentally prepare a letter to the princess when there was a knock on the door.

"I'll just go get that," he said walking to the door.

When he opened the door he was surprised to see a grey pegasus with a blond mane standing beyond the threshold holding a large tome in her mouth. She appeared to be distraught and embarrassed so he assumed that she had gotten the mail mixed up and was here to apologize and make her delivery.

"Please tell me that's Twilight's book Derpy, she's driving me crazy!"

"Yeth thir," Derpy tried before spitting the book out into her fore hooves. "I mean, yes sir Spike I'm sorry for any trouble I caused you and Miss Sparkle."

"It's cool Derpy. At least you got it here in one piece before Twilight caused any chaos from over worrying."

"Yeah, heh heh. I guess she can get a little too worked up some times."

"A little? She nearly destroyed the town because she thought she'd get in trouble for a late paper! Anyway I guess I should let her know it's here." he took a deep breath before shouting up the stairs, "TWILIGHT, YOUR NEW BOOK IS HERE!!"

Twilight's ear pricked up and she nearly threw Spike out of her way in the rush to the door. "It here! The new copy of The Modern Study of the Night Sky! I can finally start my research knowing every reference work is properly up to date."

"Sorry about the delay Ms Sparkle. I just saw the title and assumed my copy had arrived early. I didn't realize my mistake until I had gotten home and took a good look at the address. I came here as soon as I noticed and I haven't even opened it."

"Wait, you ordered a copy? I didn't know you were interested in astronomy. When did that happen? Most ponies in this town think it's boring unless there's a meteor shower or comet."

"It was a hobby I picked up from my time at Manehatten University."

"You went to MU?! What was it like? What did you study?"

"It was very nice, a wonderful atmosphere of knowledge and learning! I have my degree in Ancient Languages, focusing on obscure ones before the founding of Equestria. I moved here because my brother works in the area and my sister married a constable and had a child. I didn't think it was right to go wandering the planet and miss my niece growing up. It's not what I wanted from life but seeing her all the time certainly makes up for it, as well as the artifacts that get sent in for me to decipher now and then."

"Wow, it's so great to see another scholar around. Ooh, idea . . . would you be interested in stargazing with me and sharing notes? It would be a lot of fun and give us an opportunity to get to know each other and discuss all sorts of topics like science and history!"

"That sounds wonderful Miss Sparkle."

"You can just call me Twilight."

"Alright Twilight, so what is it the made you so eager to have this book on time?"

"Well, I'm working on a new theory about the movement of stars and I wanted to make sure that I have the most recent findings to help with my data collecting and to make sure there weren't any conflicting theories that would disprove mine. If I'm right then it could be a significant finding and help better calculate where things will be from night to night. It could revolutionize the entire world of astronomy."

"That's amazing! Why don't we start by me looking over your notes and data while you read through the book to see what's new and then we can start documenting everything tonight. My sister is on the weather team and told me it would be a cloudless night."

"As long as you’re finished with your own work that sounds like a great idea."

"Then let's get started.”

Author's Note:

I'm apologize for any roughness. I don't have a proofreader so if anyone would like to volunteer I would be very grateful for the help. I'm using this to test my writing skills because I hope to start on a book soon so please leave any and all criticisms and advice.