• Published 20th Dec 2012
  • 1,857 Views, 42 Comments

Surviving Equestria - SailorBrony



Derek, a normal teenage guy, is stuck in the wilderness where monsters from mythology are real. He needs to find help from the people of this land. Little does he know, that he isn't just stuck on Earth, he is in a whole different world.

  • ...
4
 42
 1,857

A Trip to the Market

So there I sat, I was on a blue chair across from Twilight by the fireplace The fire crackled and heated the entire room. I sat close to it and embraced the heat.

Twilight and I talked for a little bit, she asked me questions that mostly pertained to Earth. I tried to give her answers as best as I could, but a lot of them were too complicated for me to understand.

Shit, when is this over? I just want to get to bed. I thought.

“So, Derek. That little device is very interesting. Do you mind if I take a look?” Twilight asked.

“Um, well...” I started.

In truth, I really didn’t want to show her. I wanted to play around on my newly charged phone before the battery ran out again. It’s not like i would be able to make phone calls anyways, so I might as well just listen to music or play games on it.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to push you.” Twilight said, “ I understand if you don’t want me to see it.”

“No, it’s fine. Here, you can take a look.” I reluctantly said.

I gave her the phone and she took it in her magical aura. She looked it over and tried to get it to work. I walked over and hit the lock button which brought up the lock screen. Twilight watched as I unlocked the phone after typing in my password on the four digit and the home screen came up.

“How does this work?” she said, looking at the phone intently.

“It's a touch-screen” I said, “Go on, touch it.”

She put on hoof on the screen delicately and opened up my contacts. She looked delighted at the fact that she got it to work.

“This can call all of these people just by a simple touch?” she asked in awe, “That’s simply amazing. What an engineering feat! What kind of magic is this?”

“Yeah it’s kinda cool. But it isn’t magic. It uses electricity and a bunch of circuits, I think.” I said yawning, “Although, I do think it is strange that your magic recharged it.”

I looked over to the clock. If it was the same, then it would be 9:00 pm. I looked outside and figured that clocks were relatively close to the ones from home.

‘At least some things are the same.’ I thought to myself, finding comfort in the clock’s same-ness.

As crazy as it sounds, the old wall clock gave me something to remind of home. The place I had to get back to. As far as I know, they could be holding a funeral for me right now. Why can’t this be a dream? Can’t I just wake up in my house? No, I have to keep pushing. Moping around won’t do me any good.

“So? You said I can sleep here right?” I said.

“Yeah, there is a guest bedroom up the stairs and to the left.The bathroom is right next to it.” The unicorn said still looking at the phone.

‘I just let her look at it tonight, it’s not like I need it.’

“Maybe you can find out how to charge it.” I chuckled. The phone only charged a little after the incident at the farm. It was at roughly twenty percent.

“Yeah, this seems to run off of an internal energy storage.” Twilight said.

“Yeah, it's called a battery. Anyway, I am going to bed.” I said, leaving her with the phone.

I went into the room and fell asleep almost instantly.

***

My vision was blurred when my eyelids fluttered open, I saw a silhouette. As my vision focused, i realized it was a woman in a blue outfit. I looked around the room and saw machines hooked into my arms. There was a small beeping sound that went off in the background.

“Oh, you’re awake. Don’t move, you have to rest.” The woman said.

“Where am I?” My voice came out gravelly and foreign.

“You are at Mission Hospital. You had a nasty crash and were rushed here.”

I looked around, trying to remember what happened.

“Luckily, we got you all patched up. You’re perfectly fine.” she said.

Suddenly my memories came rushing back.

“Where’s Rachel?” I said, panicking.

“She is perfectly fine. She only had a broken leg. Which is strange, the accident should’ve done more. Not that I’m saying I wanted it too, but it seemed like something blocked most of her injuries.” the nurse said.

“So, how long until I can leave?” I asked.

“Sorry honey, but you’re going to have to stay overnight. We need to make sure your vitals are stable.”

I spent the next hour watching the television and eating. You really don’t know how hungry you get after that. Too bad that the hospital food is gross. There was no taste to anything, maybe if they could give me a little salt it would taste a little better!

I looked away from the television and noticed a familiar looking person. She had a pink cast around her leg and a pair of crutches.

It was my girlfriend.

“Hey, Derek!” My girlfriend said, a sad smile on her face.

“What happened to you?” I asked.

“What happened to me? You’re the one who has been unconscious for three days, scaring the hell out of me!” she said hitting me in the arm.

“Three days? What happened exactly?” I asked her.

“What happened? Well let’s see, we got hit by an idiot in a semi who ran a red light, then you protected me during the crash. I don't know how you managed to pull off such an idiotic stunt and still survive. The doctors are saying the same thing, they're completely in shock that you didn't die on the scene." Rachel said.

"Well, I'm pretty tough." I joked.

Rachel's gazed turned to my left. "You didn't even open your gifts?"

I followed her gaze and saw a pile of neatly wrapped presents.

"I have gifts? What are they?"

"Why don't you open them, dumbass?" she asked, laughing.

Rachel brought them over and handed me one. "This one is mine" she practically purred.

She handed me a small gift. The gift was wrapped in a green wrapping with a red ribbon. In fact, it looked like a cliche christmas gift.

I opened the gift and gazed into the box. It was a pair of earbuds! But not just any earbuds, they were the top of the line Bose earbuds. The gift was simply amazing. I would never be able to repay her for this. It was just too cool!

“This is so awesome!” I almost shouted.

“I hoped you would’ve liked it!” Rachel smiled.

“Like it? I love this!” I exclaimed, “Thank you so much!”

***

“Derek!” Twilight called.

I stumbled out of the bed and tripped over my shoes.

“Shit!” I mumbled, catching myself.

“Derek?” Twilight called out yet again.

‘I you fucking kidding me? She needs to calm down.’

“Yeah, I’m coming down!” I yelled back.

I looked back down on my earbuds. They were the same ones from Rachel, only a little beat up and dirty. I can't believe that this is my life now.

I rubbed my eyes and put on my shoes. I got up and put on my jacket before I walked out of the room. Twilight was in the kitchen, cooking – at least, that was probably what she was intending to do. I’m not usually very judgmental towards other people’s cooking, but you could smell her failed attempt at whatever dish it was meant to be throughout the entire house; or tree, as it was.

“Oh hey Derek, I have breakfast for everyone. Sorry, hold on.” she said, “Spike! Get down here!”

‘Spike? Is that her boyfriend or something?’

Upstairs, a door burst open, and I heard a little pitter-patter of feet – not as one would expect, the clip-clop of hooves – coming my way.

Not sure what to expect, I looked up the stairs. Trotting down at a leisurely pace was a purple, scaly creature, waddling slightly as it made it way forward. By the way he jumped when he saw me he was obviously surprised by my presence, but to his credit he recovered pretty quickly.

“So you’re the human?” he asked, hopping down the last few steps nonchalantly.

“Sure I am,” I answered, trying to be just as nonplussed as he was. “I can’t imagine your species is called spike, though.”

He raised an eyebrow at me. “What, have you never seen a dragon before or something?” He shot off a small green fireball as if to prove his point.

“As a matter of fact I haven’t, but that was pretty cool, I’ll give you that. I’m Derek,” I said a little amused, offering my hand to him.

“Yeah, I know your name,” he said with a toothy grin that bared his fangs, clasping my hand with his claws. They felt pretty sharp.

With the brief introduction over, Twilight began to serve up breakfast. There was something that looked like hash browns – or might even have been so if they’d been prepared by someone who had any idea of how to cook – and, for some reason, daisies. The flowers – being flowers – weren’t terribly promising, and the smell permeating the tree-house hadn’t given me much confidence in Twilight’s cooking skills, but I decided to give her the benefit of doubt.

Surprisingly the hash browns were quite decent, but the daisies were – much as one might’ve expected – disgusting. I almost spit them out by reflex, but I forced a smile onto my face and swallowed. I forcing them down my throat I made a mental note to not eat flowers again.

“Thanks Twilight. This was...delicious,” I said, having finished the hash browns. “Sorry for leaving the daisies, but I can’t really eat flowers.”

Twilight gave me an apologetic nod. “It’s no problem, really. I’ll have to ask you more about what you can eat later, so I can write it down.” For some reason, she put special emphasis on those last words.

Spike picked up one of the lightly singed hash browns and held it up with his claw. “No offense, Twilight, but next time you might want to make them look less like something I had a coughing fit on. Ash and food don’t go well together, you know.”

‘Oh thank god, it didn’t have to be me saying that.’

The unicorn gave him a stern look. “Oh, I’m sorry Spike. It’s not like there’s anypony else in this house who’s much better at cooking than I am, but felt so inclined to sleep in this morning, just like usual.” The sarcasm was not quite dripping, but nobody could’ve missed it unless they were deaf.

Spike took it all in stride, though. “Yeah, yeah, whatever. Shouldn’t you be heading out by now, Twilight? I thought your checklist clearly said–”

Twilight gasped, cutting him off. “Oh I almost forgot! I need to go back over to Applejack’s house. Can you go to the market?” Twilight answered.

“Uh, sure Twilight...” the purple dragon said nervously.

Twilight trotted upstairs, “I am going to get ready to go.”

Spike turned to me, “Can you come with me?”

“Sure, why?” I asked. The little dragon’s voice was quaky and small. He looked down and fidgeted with his hands.



“No reason,” Spike answered a little too quickly.

Twilight came downstairs and opened up the door.

She turned around and said, “Ok Spike, see you later!”

“Alright Twilight, see you.”

'Why the hell does Twilight think she is so important? Spike is only a baby.’

I looked over to Spike, who was cleaning the dishes.

'Poor guy, this is probably not the best way to grow up. When does he ever have fun?'

***

Once Spike had finished cleaning up the dishes, we were ready to go. Spike led me around town, away from the library. We past through town and gave me a short tour as we walked. We past different houses each not so much different from the last. Although, there were some shops that had some very interesting architecture.

Spike looked around as we entered a clearing in the town. Tiny shops filled the area like a farmers market.

Spike was told to buy normal groceries as well as some special ingredients for tonight's dinner. We also had to get some hardware items for the library.

I looked over at Spike who was holding his hands together and shifting from foot to foot. His eyes were darting from side to side.

‘What they hell is wrong with him?’

We were walking to a hardware shop, when we saw a couple of pegasi come up bang against the shop counter.

The three of them snickered and looked at each other. They all wore the same red bandana around their neck.The one in front was yellow while the back two were orange and lime-green.

"Where is our money?" the yellow pegasus stallion shouted.

"I'll have it next week, I promise!" the brown mare squeaked.

"This is the second time you haven't payed us! Trust me, you don't want anything...happening to your nice shop here." He made his point by pushing a flower pot off the counter. It made a loud crack as it smashed to the floor.

The mare squealed and shrank behind the counter.

"P-please d-d-don't!" the mare stuttered.

"Why don't you just hand over the money and we can put this behind us, okay?" the pegasus shouted, getting red in the face.

Spike and I stared at the event that was occurring before us. My mind finally jolted back to reality and I jumped into action.

"Hey! Stop that!" I raised my hand at the pegasus.

'That's it? What happened to the quick witted response?"

The group of pegasi turned toward me, he jumped back a little then steeled himself. I guess that a human accompanied by a dragon isn’t a normal occurrence. The yellow pegasus leader spat, "Oh yeah? What are you going to do about it, freak?"

‘Why does it seem that know one is scared of new creatures?’

"You’re really brave. Let’s see what happens when I break your neck?" I said.

"Why don't you come over here and say that to my face?"

‘Really? Are we back in grade school now?’

I walked up and got in his face, “Hurting people who are smaller than you is easy. So, why don’t you say sorry, then we all just go home and pretend this didn’t happen, okay?”

The yellow pegasus turned and bucked me in the chest. I was sent flying and my back exploded with pain when I hit a shop counter.

I stumbled up, gasping for air, when the pegasus charged at me. I remembered the movies where the guy jumps out of the way right before getting hit, unfortunately that wasn’t me. I was headbutted square in the chest. The counter crashed down under me.

The yellow pegasus put his forehoof on my chest and looked down on me. I was given the to recover from the pain that was coursing through my body.

He looked down on me, “What are you?”

“Human.” I said before placing both of my legs on his chest and pushed him off me.

I rolled over and got up with my guard up. The nearby gang members looked at each other and rushed me. One kept rushing me while the other waited. I quickly learned my lesson from the last one and jumped out of the way. The orange pegasus kept going and slid into the tent of a shop.

The lime-green one glanced at his partner then stared at me. He turned to buck me. I rolled out of the way and tackled the pegasus. I jumped on him and punched him in the face.

The pegasus stallion that was wrapped up in the tent escaped the sheets and turned at me. I looked over at him and he charged at me. I jumped up and braced myself. Just as the pegasus came to hit me, I side-stepped and grabbed his neck. The stallion only had enough time to let a small yelp escaped his throat before I flipped him over me. He landed with a thud on the ground.

I turned back to their leader, who had a scared look on his face. He before running off. The two scrambled after their leader, who had flown off without them.

'Doesn't this place have police ponies or something?'

I turned back to the cowering mare. “Are you okay?” I asked her.

“Y-yeah. T-t-thank you m-mister.” the orange mare began to get up from behind the counter.

“Who were those guys?” I asked.

“They were part of the Lightning Tumblers. They are a group of pegasus drug dealers, criminals and thugs. They believe that the other pony races are inferior to them, so they beat up on the earth ponies mostly. But sometimes Unicorns as well.” A stallion behind said.

“Hmm, thanks for the info.” I walked over to Spike.

“Let’s go Spike. I think we have everything.” I told him.

Spike and I headed off to the library with the groceries.

“Is that why you didn’t want to go shopping alone?” I looked down on the purple dragon.

“Huh?” Spike said.

“Are those guys the reason you didn’t want to come?” I asked again.

“Well, yeah sorta. They harassed me a couple times when I’ve come here. I don’t think they’ll stay gone though.” He looked away from me.

“I was thinking the same thing. I don’t know what I am going to do when they come back. I took quite a beating back there.” I felt the bruises under my shirt.

I looked down my shirt and saw twoMy chest was covered in a large black bruise. Obviously, I did the smart thing and poked at it.

“Ow!” I said.

“Well, what did you expect?” Spike chuckled.

We walked towards the library and I was lost in thought. How did I even get here? It was a question I asked myself a lot. Life just seems unfair and it has no problem using me as its punching bag. I wondered if it was some weird magical thing that brought me here. It could have been something I had done on Earth. 'Mowing the lawn? Doubt it.' I couldn't bring myself to stop pondering this question on our way back to the library.

***

We returned to the library and put the groceries away.

A short while after, Twilight came home looking exhausted. She sat on the couch and put down her stuff. She leaned back against the couch and sighed.

“How was your day?” Spike asked, a little nervous.

“Fine, I have to tell you something later.” Twilight said.

Author's Note:

Sorry for such a long wait. I was caught up in school work and just couldn't find the time to work on this. I was thinking about writing a different story soon. This will be the priority, but I would like to get this idea out of my head and on the page. Anyway, I hope you like it!