• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 2,962 Views, 3 Comments

The Echo of Betrayal - XbCreo



When an echo from the past catches up to the present, the world will be pulled into chaos and destruction. Can Twilight Sparkle and her friends save the world from those who would destroy it? Or will they destroy it themselves?

  • ...
 3
 2,962

The Echo of Betrayal Chapter 1

The Echo of Betrayal

Chapter 1

Twilight Sparkle the unicorn and Spike the dragon were heading home after a party celebrating the three week anniversary of Princess Cadence and Shining Armor’s wedding.

“Oh Pinkie Pie and her parties,” Twilight said with a chuckle, “I guess we should be glad that nothing has happened for the past few weeks.”

“Mmh parties... no more cake Gummy... I’m full.” Spike mumbled as they reached the door to their home. Looking behind her Twilight saw that Spike had slumped over her back with a lampshade on his head and was snoring softly.

Twilight gave a soft smile as she opened the door to her tree house with her magic and stepped inside. “Aw... little dragon tired himself out,” she said as she put Spike to bed. “Sweet dreams Spike.” Her smile faltered for a moment but with a quick shake of her head it was back. She was just about to go to bed as well when there was a quiet knock at the door. “Who could that be?” she wondered. As she opened the door Twilight was surprised to see Rarity standing there.

“Good evening Twilight,” Rarity said, “I hope I didn’t wake you.”

“No, I wasn’t in bed yet, but what are you doing here? It’s almost midnight.” Twilight replied.

“I realize that, but after the party I decided I needed to talk to you, if that is all right?”

“Sure come on in,” Twilight said as she stepped aside to let Rarity enter, “Are you alright?” She asked as Rarity sat down at the table.

“Oh, myself? I am quite alright.”

“Then is it about Fluttershy?”

“No, its not about Fluttershy, it’s - “

“Then Pinkie Pie? Did something happen at the party?”

“No, well not with Pinkie Pie but it does have something to do with the party. You see -”

“Is this about when Rainbow Dash dive bombed the cake? She said she was sorry for getting cake in your - “

“Its about you Twilight!” Rarity said interrupting her friend.

“Me? What about me?” Twilight said confused.

“Well ever since that horrid Changelings incident during the wedding you have seemed perturbed. You appear to not have a lot of energy lately and just seem rather down.”

Twilight was a bit taken aback and quickly shifted her eyes left and right. “I have no clue to what you are talking about Rare.”

“You were speaking to a plant for about ten minutes during the party, and you thought it was your brother Shining Armor.”

“Oh well...um” Twilight stammered looking for the right words.

“And it’s not just me darling. Everypony has noticed. That's why Pinkie threw the party, she thought it might cheer you up.”

“Everypony? Wait, Pinkie threw the party for me? I thought it was for the three week anniversary of the wedding. Isn’t that normal?”

“Oh sweetie.” Rarity said with a sigh which then changed to a face of worry. “We all just assumed it was because of what happened at the wedding but we wanted to be sure.”

“I understand Rarity.” Twilight said with a smile.“And it means a lot to me that you care about me, but I am fine. I just haven't been having good night’s sleep lately, and sadly none of the books I have read have helped at all.” She used her magic to levitate over the latest book she had been reading. “Not even ‘The Sheeps Guide to Sleeping. How to count on us to put you to sleep’.”

“I see,” Rarity said as she looked deep in thought, “Have you thought of going to Zecora? She may have something that could help you sleep better, perhaps a herbal tea? But since it is so late, why don’t we both go tomorrow?”

Twilight’s mouth fell agape. “Zecora? That’s brilliant! Why didn’t I think of that - wait, YOU want to go to Everfree Forest?”

“But of course, my dear. While I would normally never want to walk into that dreadful forest I understand how important sleep can be and I would be a pretty poor friend if I didn’t help you.” Rarity replied.

“Oh thank you Rarity.” Twilight said as she gave her friend a big hug.

“It’s the least I can do Twilight,” she said returning the hug, “It’s getting quite late so I best be off. I know it may be difficult but try and get a good nights sleep. Goodnight Twilight Sparkle.”

“Goodnight to you too Rarity.” Twilight said as she saw her friend off then headed for bed.

“That way at least one of us will.” She said softly as she closed her eyes.



No sooner had Twilight fallen asleep then she awoke to find herself in the same room she had been dreaming about for the past 3 weeks.

The circular room was 35 hooves in diameter and about 12 hooves tall and a dull shade of grey. A walkway lead around the room and two small daisies reached out towards the center from the north and south respectively. At the four compass points were barred windows with a wooden book lectern in beneath each one. The center of the room dipped down with two sets of stairs on either side of the connecting to the outer walkway. At the very center was an empty stone lectern. The walls were covered entirely with books and seeing the many piles of books strewn across the room reminded her of re-shelving day. Currently she was lying on a bed made of stone on the southern dais with a few books piled up around her.

“Oh, you’re back,” a deep voice in the room said dryly, “and its not my fault you keep winding up here you know.”

"Yes, I know Bary." Twilight said as she reached around the stone bed for the book she had started rereading a few nights before.

"Still can’t believe what has happened?" Bary asked, reading the title of the book she had picked up. "It was 3 weeks ago."

"I know but I feel like I missed something."

"You have a point, or rather you WOULD have a point except you have read that book five times now!" Bary exclaimed then dove to the ground with a yelp as Twilight levitated a pile of books and hurled them towards Bary’s voice. "Fine then," Bary called out after the flurry of books ceased, “I will continue with my own reading. After I clean up this mess that is.”

“I knew I shouldn’t have told you the books were indestructible” Bary muttered.

As Bary went about cleaning the mess Twilight opened the book to the last few chapters she hadn’t finished rereading and with a sigh began to read:



Just as Twilight drifted off to sleep a startled shout bolted her awake. The shout was quickly followed by a crash coming from the same direction. Looking around she was surprised to find that she was not in her own bed, or even her own room for that matter, but the sound of rustling pages broke Twilight out of her reprieve and she looked in the direction of the rustling.

What she found surprised her even more.

On the northern dais, lying amongst a pile of books, an overturned table and book lectern Twilight saw a Alicorn. Shorter than Princess Celestia but taller then Princess Luna, the Alicorn - like everything else Twilight saw in this room - was a neutral grey color with a surprised expression mimicking her own.

“Hello...” The Alicorn said with a deep voice without taking its eyes off of Twilight, “How did you get in here?”

“Um... hi.” Twilight replied. “Where am I? And who are you?”

“You don’t know how you got here? How can someone just accidentally find themselves in this prison?” The Alicorn asked with a raise of an eyebrow.

“Did you say prison?” Twilight asked as her eyes widened and she got off the stone bed.

“Yes, prison. Trust me, those bars on the windows are not for show. Well they are, but you get the -” The Alicorn stopped as it saw her standing, “Wait a moment,” it said as it stared at Twilight, “This isn’t possible.”

“What isn’t?” Twilight asked, feeling a bit uncomfortable under the Alicorn’s piercing gaze.

“You can’t be here, it doesn't work that way. Unless I missed something...” the Alicorn said as it quickly got to its hooves and galloped over to the stone lectern at the center of the room which held a large book opened about half the way though. “Ok lets see,” the Alicorn said as it started to skim through the book, “No, nothing here,” It went to a nearby bookshelf and took out a book, “Did I miss something earlier?”

“Can you please -” Twilight started but stopped as the Alicorn galloped past to another book.

“Maybe it was that week? It was a bore so I skipped over most of it.”

“Please stop for a moment and tell me -”

The Alicorn galloped past her again.

“But this doesn’t make sense, none of the other bearers were able to reach this place.”

The Alicorn started to move past Twilight again so she quickly stepped in front of it and raised a hoof.

SMACK


With a bit of effort the Alicorn peeled itself off of Twilight’s hoof, none the worse for wear and looked up at the purple pony.

“Oh yes, I forgot you were here.” The Alicorn said with a sheepish chuckle.

“You think?!” Twilight snapped in annoyance as she rubbed her hoof. The Alicorn’s head was far harder than she had expected.

“Now where are my manners?” The Alicorn said as it righted itself. “I am sure you are as confused as I am.”

“You are right about that. Can I ask you a few questions? Please?”

“Certainly, I will answer any questions within my power.”

“Alright, question one. Who are you?” Twilight asked, happy she was finally getting somewhere.

“I can’t tell you.”

“Argh!” Twilight raised her head and groaned.

“Please forgive me, I should have clarified that as long as I exist within the confines of this prison there are somethings I am unable to say.”

“Like what?” Twilight asked, wondering if she may have eaten something that could cause this dream, or nightmare.

“For example, I am unable to comment on my identity or the identity of those who put me here. I am also unable to comment on the reasons for me being in this prison or about my life before I was placed in this prison.”

“So what should I call you then?”

“Whatever you want I guess. I haven't had what you would call a ‘visitor’ in a very long time.”

Twilight thought for a moment then continued.

“Well all the books here remind me of a library so how about Lady Li?”

The Alicorn’s eyes went wide for a moment.

“Ahem, I would prefer for you to use Lord or Sir,” he said looking a tad annoyed. “or even just Li.”

Twilight balked at Alicorn

“I am sorry, but are you a male Alicorn?” She asked with surprise.

“Yes I am a male Alicorn, I dare say I would hate to meet a mare with a voice as deep as mine. Really now Twilight, did you truely think I was female?”

Twilight’s mouth hung open as she looked at the male Alicorn.

The Alicorn continued, “Although now that I think about it, other than myself you have never met a male Alicorn and in all the books you have read they say that only female Alicorns exist. So I guess I can forgive the comment but yes, male Alicorns existed but there haven’t been any in a very very long time.”

“I am sorry I didn’t mean to offend you sir,” Twilight said with a bit of embarrassment. “Hmm, if I take into account your deep voice then how about Bary then?” She asked.

Bary tilted his head in thought then nodded. “Ah! You mean the slang term for the baritone saxophone! Yes I remember, you heard one of Octavias friends playing it in the park and then read about it in that music book Octavia lent you after you talked to her about it.”



“Correct.” Twilight said with a smile. “Your voice sounds similar enough so I -” She stopped suddenly as a little light bulb appeared over her head. “Wait a whosit! How did you know I read that book?” The unicorn asked with a suspicious gaze.

“Well, about that I -”

The light bulb returned brighter this time as Twilight interrupted Bary.

“Not just that, you said you knew that in all the books I have read they say only female Alicorns exist? Granted it would be safe to assume I have never met a male Alicorn before but how did you know what I have read?”

“Ah, there is that analytical mind we all know and love, but where did that light bulb come from?” Bary shook his head. “But that’s beside the point. I can tell you how, but you might want to sit down for this.”

Twilight looked around for a place to sit but realizing that there were no chairs or stools she sat down on one of the stairs leading towards the center of the room. With a nod of her head she urged him to continue.

Bary stepped to the bottom of the stairs and with flourish he started. “Alright then, Twilight Sparkle. the light purple unicorn who is the current wielder of the element of magic. Every book in this library, every single page and paragraph, is about you. These books, Twilight Sparkle, are your entire life.”