• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 500 Views, 2 Comments

Sword, Shield, and Scabbard - Shadowslash101



An ancient threat has returned to Equestria and he seek to only rule it with the ancient power of the titans. A powerful allience must fight him, but who?

  • ...
5
 2
 500

Evil Resurrected

Chapter 6

Evil Resurrected

“When you do what you can for somepony.” Discord huffed as he kicked a stone into the pond in Everfree. “Not only that, but that desultory Equestrian Times paper business went out months ago. I should really take the time to catch up with today.” He sat down before the pond and loomed over his reflection. He sighed sadly as the reflection shifted to Fluttershy. “I’m so sorry, Fluttershy.” Discord apologized to the reflection of his friend. “I’ve made a mess of everything. If there was still some way to make up for it I would do it, but I think flowers,” A bushel of roses appeared, floating beside him, “And chocolates,” A heart-shaped, red box appeared also, “Won’t fix anything. I’d rather just tell you how much shame I feel of all of this. Please, forgive me. If you weren’t my friend, I’d never have felt how good it feels to have one. Don’t leave me alone again.” The flowers and red box disappeared from the air. “The rest of your friends still don’t trust me entirely, and I fear that if you weren’t my friend again I’ll have nopony else to turn to.” He sniffed, saddened by the thought of sheer loneliness. “Perhaps it’s not all lost. Prince Joyful’s a good chap. Maybe if I talk to him you’ll consider forgiving me, and so would the others.”

Discord’s moment was soon crushed by chuckling behind him. Discord gasped of surprise and turned back to see Scorch leaning against a tree; singeing the bark black. His arms were crossed and his armor’s luster gleamed in the bright moonlight. “My have you gone soft.” Scorch mocked him. The draconequus immediately recognized the black armor. It was definitely Scorch. The black cape behind him was so the same, and he had no doubt that the unicorn horn-decorated shield and red cutlass was under the cape.

“Scorch?” Discord scoffed. “You finally got somepony to free you from your prison? As a demon, you really can’t manifest in your own independent form. Pity.” He cocked his head to the side, mocking the Ifrit back. “You think you’re so tough? Why don’t you walk out of that body and prove it, eh?” Scorch was silent. “Thought so. You know better than to disturb a draconequus’ when he has his moments.” Discord turned around to remove Fluttershy’s reflection in the water. “You’ll only make him very rude.” He turned around and jumped back at the sight of Scorch closer than before. He was right in front of him. “Still quick on your feet, I see.”

“The Master has returned, Discord,” Scorch told the creature. “And as his Titan of Illogic, you must heed his call.”

“Oh, please.” Discord waved at him. “I no longer live by that name. It was changed a long time ago. Besides I’ve found an even greater power than the Master.”

“Oh?”

“I’ve found the mystical power of Friendship, and it’s greater any power I’ve ever encountered.” Discord crossed his arms and nodded. “I’m no longer a servant of Chaos.”

“Listen to yourself, Discord!” Scorch shouted, shocked by his replies. “These ponies have changed you!”

“And perhaps for the better.” Discord nodded. “Adieu!” He stomped away from Scorch from the pond, but was surprised again to see the Ifrit blocking his path.

“You once made a deal with the Master for you to have all the power of your wildest dreams.” Scorch told the draconiquus. “Do you really want to let all that slip away from you?” Scorch was right. The Master did make a deal with Discord that if he would serve him then the Master, in turn, would grant him his powers. If he turned away now, bye-bye manipulating reality and he’s already made his friends hate him. Why not return to the Master and serve him again?

“Oh! Scorch, you’re such a sourpuss!” Discord huffed in irritation. “Fine, I’ll serve, but only because I want to keep my powers, not because I want to come back, okay?”

“Very well.” Scorch nodded. “The Master has already gone ahead of us toward the castle town named Canterlot. We must move swiftly.”

“No need, Scorchy.” Discord snapped his fingers and they disappeared.

Meanwhile, in Canterlot Castle, Merciful and the others have explained to Princess Twilight what they’ve experienced so far in the Main Hall. “And that’s when we entered here.” Merciful finished.

“Through the janitor’s closet.” Sunny added for the third or fourth time.

“Oh my.” Twilight said as she took this in. “I hope Spike’s okay.”

“He’s with Helpful so he should be fine.” Their attention was grabbed by Discord’s laughter.

“Discord?” Twilight and the others turned their attention to the entrance where the laughter came from. Discord flew toward them, closing the door behind them.

“So you came back to apologize, ‘eh?” Sunny crossed her arms.

“Me?” Discord looked at her innocent. “For whatever for?”

“You left us inside the Canterlot Mines with no aid.” Rainbow Dash complained in Discord’s grinning face. “You didn’t lead us to the Diamond Dogs Caverns at all!”

Discord yawned. “Calm yourself, Rainbow Dash. That’s all in the past isn’t it?”

“Heh. Very funny. You haven’t even said, ‘sorry’ to Fluttershy.” Sunny growled as she gestured to the shy mare, whose expression seemed cross.

“No need, Sunny. That Discord’s done plenty enough.” Fluttershy huffed with her arms crossed and she looked away. “I’m not going to talk to him.”

“Wow. She really has changed!” Pinkie Pie told Twilight. “I’m not even sure if she’s the real Fluttershy.”

“I’m sure she’s over-reacting.” Twilight reasoned with the Pink Mare. “Give her some time and she’ll warm up to Discord.” Fluttershy huffed again and Snowy crossed his arms too, just to help his companion.

“I thought you might be still mad.” Discord poked the Shy Mare with a long steel rod. “So I brought somepony specail to help make your anger go away.”

“I’m surprised.” Sunny raised an eyebrow of suspicion. Discord cleared his throat.

“Oh, Scorchy.” He called to the door with a sing-song voice. The double doors flung open and a teenage dragon walked out. He was cladded in black knight’s armor with a decorative design of Celtic origin. He held a red cutlass in his right claw and a circular shield on his left. He stopped beside Discord and everypony looked at him in fright. Twilight noticed that the shield this dragon carried had three unicorn horns embedded into the steel, and at the center was another Celtic symbol. She also noticed that the green comb of the dragon stuck out from the top of his helmet. Although the helmet may cover his face, Twilight felt that he was familiar.

“Hiya, Scorchy! I’m Pinkie Pie and this i—” Merciful quickly covered Pinkie Pie’s mouth, silencing her, using his magic.

“Who are you?” Princess Twilight asked.

“Allow me to introduce to you Scorch, the Black Ifrit.” The Draconiquus introduced his ‘friend.’

“An Ifrit?” Applejack raised an eyebrow.

“Why, yes.” Discord chuckled. “Scorch, why don’t you get acquainted with our ‘friends’ while go and ‘check something’?” The Draconiquus snapped his fingers and disappeared.

“Something tells me that he doesn’t mean that at all.” Dash told her friends as Scorch twirled his sword.

“Everypony, stand back.” Merciful told them, and they quickly did so, leaving the Dark Prince and the Black Ifrit to dual. They faced each other with cold focused expressions. “After over thousands of years, you’ve finally freed yourself.”

“You’re one to talk about freeing oneself.” Scorch replied.

Merciful raised an eyebrow. “Is that supposed to be threatening?” He used his magic to levitate a sword from a knight statue behind Scorch. “I believed you demons knew all kinds of taunts.”

“Well, when I’m through with you, the world will know that you were indeed a poor ruler.” Scorch laughed and Merciful pulled the sword he levitated behind Scorch toward him. The Ifrit spun around and blocked the sword with his shield.

“Run now!” The Dark Prince ordered his friends and they ran out of the room.

“No!” Scorch exclaimed in surprise as he pushed the sword back; blades stuck out from the edges of his shield and he thrusts it toward his escapees, but he missed the last one: Pinkie Pie, by a hair. The shield hit the wall and Scorch pulled it back to his arm by a chain linked to the shield and his gauntlet. The doors slammed shut, and Scorch was irritated by their escape. He growled, and then his attention turned back to Merciful.

“It seems that we have a dual.” Merciful smirked as he held up his sword with his magic.

“Very well.” Scorch tossed his cutlass away, clinking and clanging onto the floor. The Dark Prince watched as the Black Ifrit lifted his shield up with the spikes sticking out and it whirred around in circles, like a buzz saw. “I accept your challenge.” He lunged forward, forcing the shield to fly toward Merciful, but it missed its target as Merciful leaned to his left.

Meanwhile, in Canterlot, Roadburn and his crew were all still sitting around in the donut shop, talking and sharing many funny tales when ponies outside began to scream and shout in fear of something.

“What’s going on?” Jacko asked, worried. The group exited the shop and turned their attention to a dark thundercloud coming toward them.

“This is what’s making Canterlot citizens scared?” Turnip questioned the situation. “This is barely legitimate.”

“Maybe it’s not the thunderstorm, but what’s inside it.” Luckyshoes reasoned. “Strange things happen when storms come out of nowhere.”

“Well, Brother, what do you think is in it?” Fancypants asked as more ponies ran past them. Luckyshoes shrugged.

“Only one way to find out.” The captain said, and Flight Lock landed beside them from behind. Roadburn noticed that he was a dark blue Pegasus with a spike blond mane. His Cutie Mark was now covered by blue armor. Roadburn knew this was a Captain of the Royal Guard’s armor. He must’ve taken Shining Armor’s place once he left to the Crystal Empire. “Flight Lock!” Everypony except Roadburn and Pony Joe greeted the stallion with surprise. Roadburn never really liked the Captain of the Royal Guard much. He considered him a problem with his midnight ‘outings.’ “Magi had ordered me to help aid you.” Flight Lock told them.

“Seems that whatever’s in that thundercloud is a threat to the city.” Pony Joe said as it came closer.

“Soarin’ you come with me, and we’ll see what’s inside that storm.” Flight Lock ordered. “The rest of you better help the troops with escorting everypony else to the Crystal Empire. Magi’s orders.” Soarin’ and Flight Lock flew off.

“You heard the guy.” Jacko said. “We need to move now.” He ran off to any other ponies heading toward the castle and began to have them rerouted to the Crystal Empire. Fancypants, Luckyshoes, AC, Pony Joe, and Roadburn did the same.

Meanwhile, the Mane Six, Sunny and Snowy run through the castle to the Elements’ Hall. As they crossed the bridge, they all noticed the gigantic thundercloud coming their way, and everypony panicking. “Oh, no.” Twilight sighed in dismay. “This doesn’t bode well.”

“Don’t worry, Twilight.” Applejack assured her with comfort. “We’re still with you every step of the way.” They reached the gem-decorated door and quickly entered, but the group was dumbstruck by the sight of Discord holding the gem-encrusted case in his claws with a fiendish grin.

“Looking for something?” Discord chuckled darkly as he smirked at them.

“Discord!” Twilight said. “What are you doing?”

“What my Master wants me to do.” Discord told her. “Y’know, I never was born with these powers of manipulating reality.”

“But you’re supposed to be our friend, Discord!” Fluttershy begged him. “Why are you doing this?”

“Because I’ve found a greater power than friendship; a power I’ve long forgotten after all these generations of stone imprisonment. Now the real fun begins.” Discord cackled at them all as the sound of thunder filled the room.

“I knew reforming Discord would do no good!” Sunny growled as she beats her fists together.

“What is this power, Discord?” Twilight asked.

“The power…” Discord pulled the case back into a throwing position, “Of a god!” He launched the case toward them and it broke into the pieces before the eight comrades. They quickly scrambled through the wooden shards and found the Elements of Harmony, but something about them seemed wrong.

“The Elements!” Twilight exclaimed in surprise as she held up her tiara with her magic. The gemstone on the very top was black. “What happened to them?” The very same happened to the other Element of Harmony. The gemstones were black as night.

“Oh! Has Magi never told you?” Discord looked at them with mocking pity. “Prince Joyful may have control over all the Elements, but there’s a catch. When he dies, they die, and when they die, your powers are inexistent, and when your powers are inexistent…well, let’s just say it won’t be so fun for you.”

“What?” They all exclaimed in shock. Discord began his maniacal laughter as Fluttershy’s eyes filled up in tears.

“Helpful…” She whimpered, “Dead?”

Meanwhile, in the Main Hall, Merciful ducked as the spinning-saw-blade-shield swept over him, circulating around and back to Scorch. Much damage has been made in the Main Hall. The walls have been cut through and many pillars have been scarred as well as the floor. Scorch stood and watched as Merciful panted from exhaustion due to so much dodging. The Dark Prince held up his sword with his magic. “Is that all?” He grinned, and Scorch immediately launched his shield again. Merciful jumped over to his right and the shield continued into a wall. The Black Ifrit tried to pull it out and back to him, but it was stuck. He tried again and again, but the shield was stuck in place. This was Merciful’s chance to attack. He charged the Ifrit with his sword straight forward to impale him.

Scorch noticed this attack and he jumped right before the sword could touch him, and Merciful stopped. He looked up behind him, and Scorch stood on the ceiling, seemingly defying the laws of gravity. He pulled on the chain to let loose the shield, but it was still stuck. “Are you out of tricks, Scorch?” Merciful mocked him, “Or are you too much of a coward to come down and fight like a warrior?” Scorch silently detached the chain attached to the gauntlet and allowed it to fall. He jumped down and landed on the floor, ten feet away from Merciful. He reached down and grabbed his red cutlass. “My Blood Curse thirsts for the blood of a challenger, and I have ignored that call for too long enough.” Scorch readied the sword. “Your blood shall be the first on this very night be drawn out by my sword.” Scorch lunged forward, and Merciful blocked his vertical slash. The recoil from the attack made Scorch step back and Merciful slashed back, but it was blocked again. The battle was like that a very long time. The sounds of movement, grunting, and sword-clanging was all that could be heard.

Finally, Scorch was knocked back off his feet and Merciful held the sword to his neck. The Blood Curse was knocked out of the Ifrit’s claws far out of his reach. “Please,” Scorch begged the Alicorn, “Have mercy.”

“I do not always live up to my name.” Merciful told the Ifrit. “I can become heartless, and unforgiving; senseless even.”

“But you wouldn’t kill one of your dear friends,” Scorch gently laughed at him, “Now would you?” Merciful didn’t understand, nor could he understand. The mask covering the Ifrit’s face kept him from seeing the truth.

“What do you mean?” Merciful asked him.

“Spike.” Scorch chuckled.

“You…you possessed him?”

“You kill me; you kill that worthless baby dragon.”

“You heartless monster!” Merciful growled. “Twilight Sparkle loved Spike ever since she was a filly! Possessing him is murder! He was a great dragon!”

“Oh, I’m sure he was,” Scorch sneered under his helmet, “But now he’s your enemy; not mine.”

“I swear on the everlasting power of the Star Symbols, you will perish for this!”

“And let poor Spiky Wikey die?” The Black Ifrit tilted his head. “You don’t think things through, do you?”

The Dark Prince could remember that statement from Envious when he escaped and almost himself when he saved Applejack during the attack on that ship.“You have no idea.” Merciful used his magic to launch Scorch from the Main Hall, outside, down the stairs, and whatever else awaited him. He looked out the door and he saw the storm brewing outside. “This does not bode well.” He turned back to find the others.

Meanwhile, Roadburn and Pony Joe enter a store filled with ponies trying to hide themselves. “Everypony, get out!” Pony Joe ordered. “Hurry! Take the evacuation route to the Crystal Empire! Go!” Everypony inside hurried out the door toward the route, and Roadburn checked inside the back room for others.

“Hello?” He checked as he turned on the light, and was surprised to see confetti blasting into his face.

“Surprise!” A White Pegasus Mare shouted as she jumped, making Roadburn exclaim in surprise and fall on his rump. The Pegasus was curly, fluffy blond maned and her Cutie Mark was three balloons. Her eyes were a purplish color. “Hey there! My name’s Surprise!” She jumped excitedly.

“I would have never guessed.” Roadburn replied with a fearful expression. He cleared his throat. “Look. You need to leave Canterlot now. The Royal Guard will help lead you to the evacuation route that leads to the Crystal Empire. Go!” He pointed for her to leave.

“Ha, ha, silly,” She poked his nose, “I’m not supposed to leave you.” Roadburn looked at her confused.

“Huh?” Roadburn raised an eyebrow.

“I’m—” Her sentence was cut off from Pony Joe entering the room.

“Burn, did you find others?” He asked as he entered.

“Hi-ho,” Surprise waved toward him.

“Oh, good,” Joe grinned, “Miss, you need to leave the city immediately.” He walked over to lead her out.

“But--” Surprise tried to protest.

“There’s no time. You need to leave now.” He grabbed her hoof and led her out of the store into the streets. Roadburn followed and they found that the thunderstorm had gotten closer.

“Oh, darn.” Joe said to himself, and he turned his attention back to Surprise, but she was gone. “What?” He looked around and found her right beside Roadburn. “Okay, miss. You need to get out of here now. The whole city’s being attacked.”

“I know.” Surprise giggled. “Isn’t it great?”

“No!” Pony Joe looked at her strange. “No, it’s not great! You need to get out of her now.” The wind began to grow stronger around them, blowing straight toward the thunderstorm, where the thunder grew louder the closer it came.

“Look, buddy.” Surprise said. “I must stay with Roadburn. It’s my sworn duty!” She saluted as Pony Joe and Roadburn looked at her confused.

“Her what?” Joe asked Roadburn.

“I don’t know!” Burn shrugged. “This mare’s crazy!” Thunder struck again, and the volume was so loud that it forced the ground beneath them to tremble. Roadburn almost lost his balance. “What’s even going on?”

“The Lord of the Titans is coming!” Surprise skipped and sang. She wasn’t helping the situation at all.

“Who is this lunatic?” Joe asked her confused and slightly panicked.

“Uh…she said her name was ‘Surprise’…” Roadburn answered thoughtfully. Fancypants, Luckyshoes, Jacko Lantern and Turnip Top all quickly came back.

“There you are!” Fancypants greeted them.

“What’s wrong?” Jacko asked. “Magi’s given the order to make sure that everypony escapes safe-and-sound. C’mon!” He waved for them to follow. Joe, Roadburn, and Surprise followed them to the escape route. Flight Lock and Soarin’ landed down before them.

“It’s no good!” Soarin’ told them. “The storm’s turned into a super cell! I’m surprised that it didn’t make a tornado yet!”

“We were unable to see what was happening, but we also got the telepathic message from Magi!” Flight Lock added. “He’s told us that the princesses are already at the Crystal Empire, and we must move now!” They led the way to the escape route.

“You didn’t forget anything important, did any of you?” Fancy shouted over the sharp wind to his friends, and Pony Joe and Roadburn remembered something.

“Granny Cookie!” They both shouted simultaneously with frightened expressions.

“What was that, friends?” Fancy looked back to where Pony Joe and Roadburn were, but all he could see was Joe. “Where’d Roadburn go?”

Meanwhile, in the Elements’ Hall, the Mane Six, Sunny and Snowy all watch in awe as Discord’s laughter subsided. “I haven’t had this much fun in a millennium!” Discord wiped a tear from his face.

“You won’t get away with this, Discord!” Twilight warned him.

“Just what can you do about it?” The draconequus cackled again. Fluttershy cried as she hugged onto Snowy for comfort. Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie were all baffled by Helpful’s “death”, Rainbow Dash and Sunny wanted to tackle Discord into the ground, and Twilight thought long and hard for an answer, but he was right--there was nothing they could do to stop this now that the Elements of Harmony have lost their power. “See the thundercloud coming toward your castle?” Discord looked out the window. “It’ll be a matter of time until this castle becomes my Master’s domain.”

“You take that back!” Rainbow Dash tried to charge Discord in midair, but Applejack held her back by the tail.

“Now tell me,” Discord walked over to them, and he stood over Twilight, “Where are the Chains?” Twilight looked up to Discord looming above her. Chains? What is he talking about? What would Discord need with chains? Before she could ask what he meant, a magical blast knocked Discord flying and he hit the window. It cracked from the trauma, but it was still in one piece as Discord slide off of it slowly, making a squeaking noise. Everypony looked over to the source of the blast and it was Magi of the Seventh Chain! In his hooves was the Scepter of Kronos, which he used to knock Discord off his feet, and a gilded, highly decorated shield was equipped on his left arm. “Magi!” Twilight gasped as everypony quickly ran over to him.

“Stand back, my friends!” Magi ordered and he pointed to the door. “Leave now!” Princess Twilight nodded in understanding.

“Yes, Magi!” Twilight replied. “C’mon!” She told her friends and they followed her with the Elements of Harmony out the room, and Magi shut it with his magic. Discord stood up and cracked his back.

“Ah, Magi,” He chuckled, “Seems that I’m taking a trip down memory lane tonight!” He laughed at the joke of it all. “Anyway, old chap, I believe you have something that belongs to my Master,” He pointed at the scepter, “Hand it over, so I may return it to its rightful owner.” He extended his arm, expecting Magi to give it to him.

“The Scepter’s rightful owner is a mortal whose every waking moment is to protect those whom he loves,” Magi corrected him, “The Symbols may have made the mistake of giving it to him once, but I will not do the same!”

“Uh-huh. Say, is that the Shield of Alamos?” Discord pointed toward the shield Magi held. “Judging that since you’re holding it means that you haven’t found an owner for it, ‘eh?”

“The Shield of Alamos choses whom he deems worthy,” Magi reasoned, “He is not simply given to a pony for his true power to be unleashed.”

“’He’?” Discord raised an eyebrow of thought. “Oh, yes! That ‘incident.” Magi grew silent. “You still believe he lives in that piece of metal? Ha! My, haven’t we grown foolish?”

“The path of evil is, but a path of fools,” Magi stated the proverb, “But those who turn back to the path of good shall revel in the rewards of light.” Discord looked at him disdainfully. “You can still come back to us Discord. You’re abilities weren’t meant for this cause.” Thunder shook the castle, almost knocking Magi off his balance. Taking this as his advantage, Discord blasted a fireball at the Immortal Sorcerer. He blocked it with the shield, bouncing it away and it hit the window beside Discord, shattering it into pieces. Discord looked out the window to see the fireball continuing its path into the open air. “I forgot about that…” Discord scratched his head as Magi countered with a lightning bolt. Discord turned around and used his claws to absorb the blast, but Magi didn’t stop the lightning bolt. Discord only laughed in a mocking manner. “You think that a little lightning can hurt me? Somepony’s a little rustier than he thought. You’re only using basic spells!” Discord cackled, but Magi smirked. He pulled the scepter back like a whip and Discord was pulled forward by the lightning, as if he was the end of the whip. Discord shouted and hollered as Magi whipped him around and ‘round, smashing him into the walls, hurtling him into the ceiling and slamming him into the ground.

Finally, he launched the draconequus through another window, shattering the glass as he let Discord go. The creature flew off and crashed into the Canterlot Sculpture Garden. Magi jumped onto the window sill and saw Discord sitting half-consciously on a pedestal with a marble cup in his lion claw and a stone monocle on his left eye. “Would you like more tea, Celestia?” He half-consciously mumbled as Magi watched in amusement. “One lump or two?” He extended the cup to nopony as his hallucination continued. “You’ve changed your mind? Okay, well, who needs tea anyway?” He tossed the cup behind him. “Oh, what happened to me? I was whipped around the hall like I was nopony’s problem. Oh yeah!” He nodded. “It was like up and down and all around,” He airily twirled his claw in the air, “Left then right, then out the window! It was like I died and when to Chaotic Heaven.”

“I must’ve rattled his brains more than I anticipated.” Magi looked at him oddly, but also amused.

Meanwhile, Merciful and the others managed to meet up in the halls of the castle. “Mercy!” Applejack exclaimed in surprise at seeing him.

“Where’s Scorch?” Merciful raised an eyebrow after short eye contact with his beloved. “I have pacified him for the time being. Hurry! We must…” His sentence trailed off once his sight landed on Fluttershy’s tear-filled eyes. He saw her memory of Discord explaining to them why the Elements have died and he was very withdrawn.

“Is there something wrong, Merciful?” Twilight grabbed his attention.

“My brother has died, hasn’t he?” He spoke after a moment of silence and thunder.

“I’m afraid so, Merciful…” Twilight answered him.

“This is indeed a sorrowful day, but we must escape to the Crystal Empire.” Merciful told them. “Magi will hold off our attacker while we escape.”

“Yay!” Pinkie Pie shouted with joy. “We’re going to the Crystal Empire!” She quickly covered her mouth, remembering Merciful’s cold stare every time she would do that, but Merciful only chuckled.

“Indeed, Pinkie Pie.” He grinned as his horn sparked with a black aura. “Off to the Crystal Empire.” Merciful used his magic to teleported them to the Crystal Empire.

Author's Note:

And so the plot thickens!