• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 500 Views, 2 Comments

Sword, Shield, and Scabbard - Shadowslash101



An ancient threat has returned to Equestria and he seek to only rule it with the ancient power of the titans. A powerful allience must fight him, but who?

  • ...
5
 2
 500

A Poor Unicorn

Chapter 2

A Poor Unicorn

At the far outside edges of Canterlot, a stallion stood on top of a cliff right above his rickety home, made of scrap metal. The stallion had a blue coat with an unruly black and white mane that streamed toward the back of his head from countless times of running. His Cutie Mark was a circle of lightning with another bolt overlapping it. Black goggles covered his eyes as he stared out into the marvelous view before him. He could see Ponyville and the Forevergreen Mountain. He could also see the Everfree Forest filled with life as always. The story of this Unicorn is very dark and mysterious. He has no recollection of his family, not even the memory of how he received his Cutie Mark; however, it sits on his flank with pride. He’s lived in poverty ever since he was a foal, living with his one-and-only relative…or at least he believes her to be a relative. She’s taken care of him ever since he awoken in this dump which stands on a cliff of the mountain.

“Roadburn!” An old voice shouted from below him; bringing the stallion out of his steely gaze. “Where is that boy?” He pulled off his black goggles, revealing his emerald eyes, then looked down to the old yellow mare in the front yard of his home. She had a gray curly mane with a red bow tie on her tail, and her Cutie Mark was a plate of cookies. She had a blanket wrapped around herself to keep warm, and she looked really concerned. “Roadburn!” The stallion sighed as he jumped down from the cliff side, unto the roof of his home and down beside the old mare.

“Yes, Granny Cookie?” Roadburn asked. The old mare turned around to face him, not surprised to see him appear out of nowhere, but glad to see him.

“Oh, there you are, Roadburn.” Granny Cookie sneezed harshly. “I’m sorry. It’s the allergies, dear.”

“Then maybe we should come back inside so you won’t be so tortured.” Roadburn opened the front door of his home. Granny quickly trotted in.

“Thank you, Roadburn.” The old mare replied.

“No problem.” Roadburn closed the door and stepped inside. There really was not much room inside of their house. It was made of mostly steel, but it was enough to make two bedrooms, one kitchen, one living room, and one bathroom. They didn’t even have a floor, just the dirt. The beds they slept on were old and dusty, but still comfortable. Such a place compared to Canterlot pained Roadburn to see his Grandmother living in such conditions. He always thought of her as a grandmother. Even though foals would call their parents ‘Mom’, or ‘Dad’, he called his parent ‘Granny Cookie.’ The old mare sat on the dilapidated couch and began to relax from the warmth of the fire in the fireplace. The smoke escaped through a hole in the ceiling. It was fine enough, but the room would become flooded every time there was a storm. It was cozy enough for her to sleep in. “So, Granny.” Roadburn began. “There was something you wanted to tell me?”

“Oh, yes.” The old mare remembered. “Could you fetch some more firewood, and if you can, chop some up and place it in the fireplace. It’s beginning to cool down, Son.”

“No problem, Granny.” Roadburn nodded as he left the house and got to work on chopping some extra firewood for the fire. Once finished, he came back inside and placed the wood into the fire. It flared brightly as it grew again. “Thank you, Roadburn. You’re such a nice boy.”

“It’s no problem, Granny.” Roadburn assured her proudly. Soon after sometime, Granny Cookie fell asleep; leaving Roadburn to his thoughts. He then remembered an old friend in Canterlot and so he left the house toward Canterlot. Once there, he strolled through the marketplace. Two rich ponies, both mare and stallion, notice this filthy pony trotting through the city, again. They had to put a stop to this nonsense. They followed him toward the only donut shop in the entire city, Pony Joe’s. As Roadburn sat at his seat at the counter, the two rich ponies sat at a table far behind the stallion. “Hey, Donut Joe!” Roadburn grabbed the big stallion’s attention. He had the same light cream coat and brown hair as Roadburn remembered. He also still had the donut Cutie Mark as ever, and he still wore that tacky hat and apron.

“Oh! Hey there, Burn!” Pony Joe greeted with a delighted smile. “Here for the usual?”

“Yeah.” Roadburn nodded and the clerk gave Roadburn two cream-filled donuts, and a large cup of hot chocolate.

“Here ya go, and as usual, it’s on the house!” Pony Joe nodded as Roadburn ate his food, but then their moment was interrupted by the rich ponies laughing in their ‘proper’ manner. “Uh…can I help you?” Pony Joe greeted them a little confused as to why they were laughing.

“You call this a business?” The rich stallion scoffed.

“It’s absolutely preposterous!” The mare added.

“Oh, so you don’t like how I run my business, eh?” Pony Joe growled at them, obviously resentful of their remarks as Roadburn watched their exchange while eating his food and sipping his hot chocolate.

“Mm-hmm.” They nodded simultaneously.

“Giving food and drink to somepony as filthy as that bum right there!” The mare pointed straight toward Roadburn still scarfing down the food and sending crumbs all amiss.

“And it’s all for free?” The stallion also added. “Yet you charge us more important ponies to pay for the food.”

“You don’t even eat here!” Pony Joe shouted irritated. “Just who do you think you are?”

“Calm yourself, Sir. My name is Jet Set, and this is my wife: Upper Crust.” Jet Set explained themselves. “We spotted this filthy creature entering town and we just had to get him out of here before the New Princess finds him trotting about, dirtying the streets with his filth.”

“New Princess?” Roadburn repeated, curious. Since when was there a new Princess in Canterlot? Did he miss out on something while he was taking care of Granny Cookie?

“You, Sir, and Madam, are the most inconsiderate and selfish ponies I’ve ever met!” Roadburn’s friend shouted at the two intruders in his shop. “In fact, the only thing filthy I see in my shop is two ponies standing right in front of my best friend and me.” He growled as he walked around the counter and made his way toward the two rich ponies. “Now if you don’t leave, I’m gonna tell the New Princess that you two have been pushing around my friend ever since he first got to this city, ka-peesh?”

“Oh, well, I--!” Jet Set’s sentence was interrupted by Joe.

“Oh, well, you what?” It was obvious that Pony Joe was not kidding and Jet Set and Upper Crust left the shop with their heads held high. The shopkeeper chuckled as they left into the streets. “Those two never seem to give up on banning you out of Canterlot.” Pony Joe remarked as he returned to his counter, wiping off the crumbs Roadburn scattered on the counter. “But seriously, you kinda do need to be considerate of how you eat things.” Roadburn then wiped the cream beard off his face with a napkin and laughed.

“They say it like it’s a bad thing.” He laughed some more, but Pony Joe didn’t laugh with him as he usually would, instead the stallion gave him a firm look, and Roadburn noticed. He cleared his throat, uncomfortably.

“Burn. Look.” Joe started one his serious talks again. “We’ve been friends since foalhood, and I know your secret, but once anypony else finds it out, you’ll be thrown in jail in an instant. You should be careful about what you do nowadays.” He leaned closer to Roadburn with a hoof at the side of his mouth for him to whisper. “I’ve heard that the Royal Judge sees the truth, as well as the Royal Sorcerer.” He whispered and then returned to his earlier position. “You really don’t want to get caught in the act, if you know what I mean.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know.” Roadburn rolled his eyes.

“I’m just looking out for a friend.” Joe smiled, and took Roadburn’s cup and washed it with his dishcloth. “So how’s Granny? She still doesn’t want to come to Canterlot, yet?”

“Well, y’know I’ve decided to leave that alone. Her business is her business.” Roadburn replied.

“She hasn’t been forgetting things, yet, has she?” Joe asked him again.

“Not yet, but I know old age is getting to her quick, and this winter is also going to be brutal.” The Blue Stallion tilted his head down in thought. “Snow will come soon, and I still have not enough money to buy Granny Cookie that new house that she needs so bad.”

“I hear ya, buddy. I hear ya.” Joe nodded in agreement. “Which reminds me. Come with me to the back of the shop. I have somethin’ for ya to take.” Roadburn followed Pony Joe to the back of the shop. He was surprised to find a wagon filled with a couple sacks of flour, sugar, a few small tubs of butter, and a couple barrels of water waiting for him in the next room. There were also a few cartons of eggs. “Here’s enough food for the snow ahead. You have enough firewood, right?”

“Joe, I live in the forest, how can I not have enough firewood?” Roadburn chuckled. “And I can’t take food from you.”

“Hey! You need it more than my business!” Joe obstinately insisted. “So take it.”

“But why, Joe?” Roadburn asked again, confused.

“Because you’re my best friend, and as best buds, we look out for each other.” Joe laid an arm over his friend’s shoulders, and he was right. Ever since they were foals, they would always watch each other’s backs. Pony Joe was like a brother to Roadburn, although they live two entirely different lives. They are equal in their own way, and Joe shared many hilarious stories with Roadburn as they spent time together as friends. “Thanks, Joe.” Burn thanked his friend.

“No problem, Burn.” Pony Joe nodded, and he chuckled at a late memory. “Have I ever told you of the time I was taking my masterpiece ‘Donutopolis’ on the train to that contest here in Canterlot?”

“You mean the time when there was an investigation on finding who ate from the ‘Mmm’?” Roadburn laughed aloud. “That mare must’ve been insane thinking that you were a secret agent. I mean, look at you! You’re not smooth, just big, messy, and scruffy!” He laughed again, and Joe laughed as well.

“Even though, I would look ‘dashing’ in a tuxedo!” They laughed even louder and eventually Roadburn was sent on his merry way back home to the other side of Canterlot Mountain. On his way toward the exit, he noticed Fancypants trotting along with his brother: Luckyshoes through the marketplace. Out of the other rich ponies Roadburn hated, Fancypants wasn’t so bad. In fact, he secretly praised him for being so kind and gentle toward the ponies that were less fortunate in their lives, because he gave them food, water, and even shelter for the homeless. Rumors explain that Fancypants had become less important to the other wealthy ponies, because he spent more time with the misfits than them. But Roadburn knows that the truth is that Fancy is the most important pony in Canterlot. He should be awarded for his helpfulness to the needy. His brother too!
Roadburn was told that Luckyshoes came back from a distant land. He sailed the great ocean and knew many stories. Why he came back he never knew. The two ponies Roadburn was eavesdropping at the time left before it was mentioned. He then decided to trot over and greet the two brothers. They seemed like jolly ol’ fellows, and that they wouldn’t mind a short chat. “H…Hello…” Roadburn grabbed Fancypants’ attention, shyly.

“Oh, salutations, my good fellow!” Fancypants greeted delightedly. “What brings you to Canterlot, my friend?”

“And what’s your name, lad?” Luckyshoes added with a smile. They were really kind fellows with very obvious good character.

“I’m just on a marketing trip.” Roadburn answered, nodding toward his wagon. “I heard that you help the homeless. My name’s Roadburn.”

“You heard right, lad.” Luckyshoes nodded delightedly. “But all these other wealthy landlubbers think that we’ve gone and lost our importance to the city. What do they know? We’re only following what the Prince does for a living.”

“Prince?” Roadburn asked confused. New Princess? Prince? Just what has he been missing out on?

“Why, yes. Haven’t you heard? Prince Joyful returned and saved our world from Envious just a few months ago, and now he lives in Ponyville helping the needy with whatever he can. Luckily for him, not many ponies live in Ponyville without a home.” Fancypants explained.

“He should be up here in Canterlot doing our job, if you ask me.” Luckyshoes remarked.

“I wouldn’t say that. He’s probably doing nothing different at his home in Ponyville than what we do here.” Fancypants insisted. “Besides, we’re doing quite fine on our own, helping the city, if you ask me.”

“Aye, I believe you’re right.” Luckyshoes nodded. “I sailed with the lad before, and I’m sure he knows what he’s doin’. In fact, his friends and he were the reason I came back.”

“Really?” Roadburn grinned.

“Aye.” Luckyshoes nodded.

“I say, dear fellow, you look rather…dirty.” Fancypants remarked, noticing Roadburn’s filthiness. “What happened?”

“Oh! I was walking through town when some pony dashed past me, knocking myself off balance and landed in a dirt pile. I’ll be fine and get cleaned later. Right now, I need to bring all this food back home.”

“That’s very splendid, my fellow. Where do you live, by the way? In Canterlot, by any chance?” Roadburn shook his head.

“No. I live just in the outer edges of Canterlot.” Roadburn explained. “My Granny and I live in a hoof-made house.”

“Now that is what I call ‘living the simple life.’” Luckyshoes remarked with a kind smile.

“Well then, my brother and I must pay a visit to you sometime soon.” Fancy chuckled.

“I believe I should pay you a visit!” Roadburn immediately responded with alert in his eyes. “I really don’t think that you’ll enjoy our home that much.”

“Nonsense!” Fancypants insisted. “I believe that your home must be a very rustic residence. I would be pleased to see for myself.”

“Say, brother.” Luckyshoes grabbed the White Unicorn’s attention. “We don’t have any other work after this, so we can visit the lad’s home now.”

“Why yes! Why didn’t I think of this before?” He chuckled and turned his gaze to Roadburn, but found that the unicorn was gone. “Now where did the fellow go?” They had not noticed, but Roadburn left them for the conversation was moving in a direction he had not anticipated. As he continued out of the city into the forest, a carriage was traveling toward him, and he could not see who was in it from the distance he was at. He decided to walk a little faster, in an effort to see who inside the carriage. He began to see that it was a Royal Carriage, meaning that it would be either Princess Celestia or Luna riding home. He absolutely despised Luna and Celestia.

If the Princesses were all-wise, why didn’t they do anything to help the homeless, like Fancypants and Luckyshoes? They should learn from this Prince Joyful, who saved everypony a few months ago. That’ll make them think of the homeless more often, but why isn’t he ruling Equestria? He would make a grand king, no doubt. The Royal Carriage was getting closer as it was pulled by two Royal Guards, now Roadburn could see who is riding it. Wait a minute. The pony riding in the carriage wasn’t either Celestia or Luna. She instead seemed to be an everyday normal pony, however she was still an Alicorn with a Princess getup. That didn’t make him like her any more than the other two. She was coming closer and Roadburn could see that she was a purple Alicorn with black straight hair with two purple streaks. She stopped beside him, and Roadburn continued walking, but slowly, in an effort to secretly study her, however seemingly ignoring her. “Hello!” She greeted him, and Roadburn looked over to her with his black goggles swinging around his neck. He was pretending like he just now noticed her. “My name is Princess Twilight Sparkle. What’s your name, traveler?”

“A Princess?” Roadburn repeated, seemingly surprised. A Princess? She must the New Princess that everypony mentioned from before, but she looks really young to him. Her height was shorter than his. How is this pony a princess? “I’m sorry, but I’ve never met a princess before.”

“Oh well. I wasn’t always a princess.” Twilight explained, modestly. “I was once Celestia’s most faithful student, however time passed on and I’ve found that I was destined to be this way.”

“Interesting.” Roadburn raised an eyebrow, secretly in disbelief, however seemingly curious. “Well, it’s been nice meeting you, but I have to bring this food back to my Granny before she wakes up, so I’ll see you later!”

“Wait!” She stopped him. “I haven’t got your name.”

“It’s Roadburn.” The Unicorn replied as he trudged on his way, confusing Twilight, but she quickly jumped out of the Royal Carriage.

“Your Majesty!” A Royal Guard grabbed her attention.

“Don’t worry.” Twilight assured the Guard. “I won’t be long.” She quietly followed the stallion until he made a turn into the deep brush, which made Twilight curious on why he went off the road into the forest. One Guard followed her, and stopped beside her.

“Your Majesty. We can’t let you travel these roads alone.” He told her, but Twilight only shushed him.

“I want to figure out what his problem is, and besides that, he seems familiar to me.” Twilight whispered to the Guard. “Stay with the other Guard until I return. If you are found without me, I’ll take the blame, so don’t worry.”

“As you wish, Your Majesty.” The Guard nodded and he gave Twilight a bell.

“What’s this?” Twilight asked as she accepted it.

“Ring it and we’ll come to your rescue.” The Guard explained.

“Thank you.” Twilight hung the bag that the bell was offered in around her neck, and she quickly followed Roadburn through the forest. It wasn’t very long until she found a small shack, built on top a cliff under another cliff. The shack was leaning against the cliff wall as smoke floated through the roof. What a terrible home! She couldn’t imagine living in such a place of poverty. She watched as Roadburn entered the house and closed the door behind him. Quickly, Twilight dashed from the forest brush to the house and peeked through a small hole through the wall. She could see the interior, and it was saddening. All there was inside was a fireplace, a couch, a bed on the ground, a few thin blankets, and very little firewood. How could he even live in such a horror? But it’s obvious that he’s been through tough times, and somehow living through the worse situations.

She watched in awe as Roadburn parked his wagon inside and freed himself from the harness. The door was wide enough for the wagon to fit conveniently through. Perhaps he knew how to live in such an environment. He trotted over to the couch, which was turned away from Twilight so she couldn’t see. “Hey. Granny Cookie.” Roadburn gently shook whatever was in the couch. “Wake up.” Twilight could hear very light groaning of an old mare, very similar to Granny Smith’s voice. She then spotted an old mare standing up and turning her gaze toward the wagon and she gasped of surprise.

“Oh, Roadburn!” She hugged the stallion tightly. It was obvious to Twilight that now wasn’t the appropriate time to step in and give generous help. It was too soon, and so she left the house toward the forest, however she decided to stay hidden in the brush, in case of Roadburn’s return. This was hardly princess-like of her, but her intentions were true. Perhaps she could have a conversation with the poor stallion toward Canterlot. As time rolled by, Twilight remembered what she did to become a princess and the funny part of the Coronation was that Helpful, Merciful, and Sunny were late, mostly because Sunny was trying to look her best; however she took forever to find an appropriate dress.

She giggled at that memory, and she remembered what Merciful told her about becoming Royalty. “It isn’t what it’s cracked up to be, Twilight,” He said, “Sometimes being Royalty can be exhausting and the work can become unbearable.” At first that seemed to be discouraging to her, but Helpful also added, “But you’re a great leader, Twilight! I bet you’ll be better than me.” Of course, modesty forced her to insist that she could never be better than he would rule, but only time will tell. The sun was beginning to lower into evening and she began to wonder if he was even coming, but she soon heard rustling through the bushes. The rustling started come closer and closer, but she couldn’t see what was coming. The anticipation was growing in her. Was that rustling Roadburn or an animal? It grew closer and closer until the bushes just a few feet before her stopped. Silence lingered and uneasiness settled in Twilight. This doesn’t feel right. Ponies don’t creep in forests. She began to step backward, and she was lucky to get away a few more steps, however something blocked her path and she gasped of shock. What stopped her felt warm and slightly fuzzy from behind and she looked back slowly to see Roadburn behind her. “What are you doing here?” He asked with an indifferent expression.

“Oh! Roadburn!” She greeted with surprise. She couldn’t let him know that she was following him, and so she looked around for an answer. “I was just, uh, taking a stroll out into the forest to…refresh my memory.” She smiled, convincingly, but Roadburn looked at her in disbelief. She soon began to wonder how he got past her in the forest. “I thought you went home.”

“I did, and I had to return the wagon to my friend.” Roadburn explained. “I’m returning home now, and so should you, Your Highness.” He was secretly mocking her, but in a dry fashion so she couldn’t notice it. “Good-bye.” He walked around her, but the princess quickly stopped him.

“Wait!” She grabbed his arm, “There’s something out there in the bushes.” Roadburn looked at her in disbelief, at first, but there has been much activity in the forest lately. Timberwolves, most likely. Have the forest animals from Everfree begun to move uphill? That isn’t likely to happen, and yet, he finds himself wondering on that many times. He should check out what this princess is talking about. “Stay here.” He told her, and he trotted toward the bushes. At first, it seemed that all was well to Twilight, but as Roadburn turned to tell her that it was nothing, a Timberwolf jumped from the bush, and she screamed in fear. She closed her eyes and uniquely at that second, Roadburn turned around to face the wooden creature and he kicked its face, knocking it off course and flipping it onto the ground, unconscious. Five others quickly, entered the area at the same time Roadburn defeated the Timberwolf.

Roadburn noticed and dashed to the closet on his left and before it could respond, he tackled it and the momentum from his run made the Timberwolf fly off and hit two other wooden creatures, breaking them into pieces. One Timberwolf lunged toward Roadburn with an open jaw while the other went to end Twilight. As quick as lightning, the stallion dashed around the first Timberwolf and stopped between Twilight and her predator. He quickly punched the attacker, knocking off the head. Once finished, Roadburn turned his attention to the final Timberwolf and Twilight stopped her screaming. She caught her breath as she watched in confusion as the last Timberwolf retreated in fear. Roadburn stood beside her, and she didn’t know what happened.

One second Roadburn was going to be eaten by a Timberwolf, and the next, the Timberwolf looks scared as he runs away, and she only screamed once. “Wha…What just happened?” She asked, terribly confused.

“A Timberwolf ran away.” Roadburn answered, indifferently. “You should leave before more return. I’m returning home. So long.” Roadburn then left her with no other explanation. The Royal Guards heard her scream and they quickly came to her rescue.

“Your Majesty! Your Majesty!” They shouted after her, and they found her in the bushes. “Princess Twilight! Are you alright?”

“Yes, yes. I’m fine.” She assured them.

“What happened?” One asked her. Twilight thought over that question hard.

“Nothing happened. Let’s go back to the castle.” She ordered, and they left the forest, but they were not alone. Roadburn secretly watched them as he was hidden in the dark brush. Once they were out of sight he sighed a sigh of relief. That was too close. If Twilight knew of his secret, he could’ve been in serious trouble. Pony Joe was right. He should be more careful on what he does to protect his secret. His secret of Super Speed.