• Published 11th Dec 2012
  • 857 Views, 12 Comments

To Fly With Dragons - lunabrony



When Scootaloo takes a shortcut to learn how to fly, is it really what it's cracked up to be?

  • ...
2
 12
 857

To Fly With Dragons: Chapters 1-3

Chapter 1

"Go, Rainbow Dash, go!" Came the cheers of the ponies surrounding the Town Square, all circled around and gazing up at the blue blur zipping through the air above them.

Rainbow Dash was on top of her game, cutting left, dodging right, avoiding the enormous heavy claws that slashed through the air in her direction. The claws were attached to the front leg of a very angry mid-sized dragon, who was not at all amused at being toyed with. The beast roared in agitation, sending pillars of flame through the air, barely missing the mare he was aiming at.

"Nice try, fishbait! But I've already got red and orange in my hair, I'm good for now!" Dash taunted, zipping through the creatures front legs around its back end. "Too slow! Try again!"

Infuriated, the dragon rose up on its back legs to get another shot in at her.

"That's your cue, Applejack!" Rainbow Dash yelled.

Moments later, a thick rope came whirling out of the crowd, wrapping around the dragons neck and yanking its head to the ground. "Ah wasn't best in show three years at th'rodeo fer nothin'!" She hollered. "Yer amazin', Rainbow Dash, if only ah could be half as amazin' as you are, ah'd be-"

"Wait, wait, wait!"

Scootaloo stopped in midsentence, front legs up over her head. "Aw, I was just getting to the best part!"

"You said this was a true story about Rainbow Dash."

"It is!"

"Then how come I never heard anything about a rampaging dragon? You'd think that would make the news."

"And ah'm pretty sure mah big sister never said anythin' like that." Apple Bloom chimed in.

"This is a story! You wanted an exciting story, you get an exciting story. Will you let me finish now?" The other two Crusaders had no objections.

"And so, with the dragon incarcerated..."

"Ah think y'mean incapacitated."

"You wanna let me tell the story, dictionary?"

"Don't call me a dictionary!"

Scootaloo glared at her. "AS I WAS SAYING... so Rainbow Dash had the dragon on the ground, and-"

Rainbow Dash stood atop the dragons head, chest puffed out, looking mighty proud of herself. "Don't everypony come begging for autographs at once, there's plenty to go around!"

Applejack frowned. "Now, Sugarcube, don't y'all get yer ego all out of whack again. We talked about this." Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. "Fine, fine. No autographs here. But I'll take donations for saving you all again! Just send your bits to Sweet Apple Acres, my secretary Applejack will-"

"RAINBOW!"

Apple Bloom rose to her hooves, shaking her head. "Yer a mighty fine story teller Scootaloo, but that's all it is. A story. That never happened."

Sweetie Belle followed her friend out the door of the clubhouse into the warm summer night air. "Maybe you'll get your cutie mark in sto*squeak*rytelling!" She said excitedly.

Scootaloo followed them outside. "A book...mark? That's lame!" She protested. "Anyway, I'm bored. I'm gonna go see if Rainbow Dash did anything amazing in the last few hours. I'll be back!"

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo looked at each other. "Where does she get all that energy from?" "Got me."

Chapter 2

Rainbow Dash was hard at work, surprisingly, teaching one of her recruits about proper cloud placement. She was overseeing a grey pegasus, whom had part of the cloud in her teeth and was pulling back on it.

"Now you don't want to pull too hard or you'll stretch it out, and you don't want to pull too loosely or it'll get all thin. So what you want to do is-"

"HI RAINBOW DASH!"

The grey pegasus looked down and waved, letting go of the cloud which sent it flying into Dash like a slingshot. Covered in cloud and now dripping wet from vapor, she glared at her recruit. The other mare gave her an apologetic grin and bolted away. "How many times have I told you, D-"

"Rainbow Dash! Hi!"

The blue maned mare fluttered to the ground, dripping, and landed next to Scootaloo. "I'm working, kid. Whatcha need?"

"Well I was wondering if you could show me any new moves."

Dash stretched her wings. "Well... I have been working for almost a whole fifteen minutes now. I guess I deserve a break. Yeah, I could show you one. What do you think about the Pegasus Twist?"

"That sounds like a dance move."

"The Dash of Death?"

"That sounds dangerous..."

Oh for Petes sake... the Cloud Twister?"

"That sounds cool!"

"Alright, watch closely." She shot up into the sky, and began to speed in circles with an ever diminishing radius. The clouds in the sky quickly responded to the wind vortex, drawing themselves into her tornado. Before long, a huge fluffy tornado of clouds spun harmlessly in the sky, Dash flapping next to it. "Alright kid, your turn!"

"I'm on it!" Scootaloo flapped her wings as hard as she could, her back end lifting up into the air. Harder and harder she flapped, her front legs hovering an inch or two as well. But it wasn't enough.

"Come on, kid! Gotta get in the sky first!"

"I'm trying!"

Dash flew down and patted her young ward on the head. "Take it easy, Scootaloo. Maybe your wings just aren't developed enough yet. It takes time and training to become as awesome as I am."

Scootaloo stomped her hoof. "I'm never gonna get in the air!" She said, before bursting into tears and running down the path.

Chapter 3

"Be careful, Spike. That's a very rare tome I borrowed from the Canterlot Library. If anything happened to it, valuable knowledge would be lost."

Spike groaned, staggering under the weight of the enormous book as he carried it towards the table in the study. "You say that about every book, Twilight. Surely it wouldn't be such a shame if some of these books were lost. Like The Complete History of Cheese? Why do you even have that? You don't even eat cheese."

The unicorn approached the table, frowning. "Spike! I study a wide range of subjects. And I might decide to start eating cheese one day, in which case I'd want to know about it."

The dragon shoved the book into the table, panting. "Whatever you say..."

Downstairs, the front door opened and closed.

Twilight was instantly alert, and her horn burst into activity, floating the young dragon onto her back. "Did you hear that? We have a visitor! Someone wants to learn! And I can help!" She said, trotting for the stairs.

"Unless they want to learn about cheese. Then they gotta go somewhere else."

"Spike! That's enough. Hello?!" She called, looking over the banister at the orange filly who'd just entered. "Scootaloo! This is unexpected. What brings you here?"

"I want to learn how to fly. And Sweetie Belle said Rarity said you made her fly once, can you do that again?"

Twilight shook her head. "That was a very complicated spell, and besides. Flying isn't something you just rush into. It takes practice, like anything else."

"How am I supposed to practice if I can't get off the ground?"

"she's got you there, Twilight." Spike said.

The unicorn frowned again. "I really don't know about this."

"Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaase?" Scootaloo asked. "Don't make me whine, I learned all about it from Rarity, and-"

Twilight snapped to attention. "Alright, alright! Spike, get my book of levitation spells." The dragon nodded and rushed for the shelves. "Now Scootaloo, I want to make one thing perfectly clear, this is just for practice. It's not permanent, and I want you to stay within range of a trained pegasus at all times."

"Yeah yeah, not permanent, pegasus, got it. Come on let's go! I gotta go fast! Faster! Faster! Fasterfasterfaster!"

"Calm down, Scootaloo." Twilight said, as Spike brought the book over. "Let's see..." She flipped through several pages. "I can't use the same spell I used on Rarity, that was disastrous. Here we go! Ready?"

"Do it already!" Twilight glared. "Um... please?" The unicorn lowered her head, and her horn sparked with light. Spike hid under the table. There was a brilliant dazzling flash, which from the outside of the library appeared only as a blinding white light.

And all was silent.