• Published 10th Dec 2012
  • 408 Views, 0 Comments

PLR: The Beginning - Caesar2013

  • ...
5
 0
 408

Tragedy

Inside the Village's Mining Hall, the mine's workers had gathered to hear their chosen representative, Brom.

"Comrades!" Brom called out to his fellow miners. "How long has it been since we've been 'freed' how long has it been since they merely said we were no longer slaves? But are now free? I tell you the truth! We are free! They merely do not call us slaves!"

The workers say nothing but agree.

"Now comrades." Brom calls out to his fellow earth ponies. "It is time we-" The doors burst open, a team of strike breakers come.

"This is a peaceful meeting!" Brom calls out to the hired goons. "Get out!"

The strike breakers merely laugh at him. Then the leader comes forward.

"Now you listen here boy." The Pegasus comes forward. "The boss says you've been causing problems round here. Says we have to to teach you boys here a lesson." The strike breakers bring out clubs and move towards the miners.

Brom merely smiles at him. "Guess you you know nothing of earth ponies."

Sometime later back in the Brom household, the mare's sister is still holding the young foal. She had just managed to get the foal to sleep after crying the rest of the afternoon.

"He's so adorable" The mare's sister says to herself. Looking out the window, the mare's sister sees a familiar stallion.

"Sister!" She calls out. "It's your husband, Brom!"

The Mare wakes up, and manages to rise out of the bed.

"Brom! Oh Brom you're back!" The mare calls out to her husband.

"I'm home! You wouldn't believe the day I've had. Not only did I organize my fellow workers, we also managed to beat down some of the owner's strike breakers. Could this day get any better?" Brom asks

The mare merely smiles at him. "Yes, show him sister."

Brom turns around to see his sister-in-law holding the new born.

Brom merely looked at the foal and looked back at his wife.

"Is that what I think it is?" Brom looks shocked as his wife nods.

Brom picks up the foal and holds him. "Now for a name..."

His wife suggests a name " Derpy? No... "

Brom picks up a book from a desk.

"I've been reading a book on a stallion that had freed the slaves, a certain stallion named Bucephalus. How about that?"

His wife merely shakes her head.

"Fine.. Not the name I'd choose, but that's a nice name."

Brom looks at his small son. "When you are older Bucephalus, I have plans for you."

Thus was born Bucephalus, the future leader of the PLR. The young colt grew each day. Getting bigger and bigger. Though Brom was busy organizing workers and working in the mine, the couple managed to have more children. Silver Tail, and a pair of twins Stone and Coal Skin. While the family struggled to make ends meet. Brom always had a way to keep his family provided, that is until the mine came under new leadership.

The new mine's owner was all about extracting the most profit. However, working hours were increased and pay steadily decreased. That winter was harsher than usual. Though winters in that mountain were bad, this one was harsher than ever. But even then, the workers still had to toil in the mines. That day, it snowed so much that the snow had trapped the miners inside.

"Mother.." a Young voice calls out to the Mare. "Mother, I'm cc- cold."

Bucephalus, only 6 years old then, and his siblings looked sadly at their mother, their only protector as father was always in the mine.

"I'm sorry, but we've destroyed all our furniture to stay warm. There is nothing I can do."

A tear fell down the cheek of the mare, which soon froze. The mare was saddened that could do nothing to help her children. But there was one chance. The mare had heard rumors that there was some coal left which she could take may be enough to save her children. But she couldn't leave her foals... could she?

With a deep sigh, the mare felt like she had no other choice.

"Buce" The mare calls out to Bucephalus. "I need you to look after your siblings, I … I don't want to leave you, but.. if I don't we may all die!"

Tears flowed down the mare's cheeks as she opened the door into the frozen village.

"Mother! Don't go mother!" Bucephalus yells out to the mare as she closes the door.

"Buu" Silver Tail taps on Bucephalus. "Where's mommy going?" The young and innocent Silver Tail asked his older brother.

"I .. don't know brother... I .. don't know" Bucephalus says in response.

The mare had struggled through the freezing cold and deep snow. She knew where the coal was being kept, if only she could get it.

Approaching the depot, a Unicorn guard stopped her.

"Clear yourself! This coal isn't yours!"

The mare gets on the ground near the guard's hoofs.

"Please sir! My family is sick and dying! We're freezing to death! I'm begging you just give me a little coal and I will pay you everything I got."

The guard looks at the mare suspiciously.

"How much do you have?


"About 8 bits"

"Get out of here" The guard pushes her aside. "If you were a better mother, your family wouldn't be freezing now would they?"

The mare begins crying loudly. "PLEASE! Sir! I have small children! Two of them are infants! What would you do in that situation?!"

The guard at this moment was angry, he'd heard enough. Lifting his club, he hits the mare in the face, knocking her into the snow.

"Get out of here whore!" The guard yells at the mare

"Oompf" The Mare knew she couldn't go back empty handed. If she did, her family would surely die. Looking around, the mare saw a small crawl space near the building that stored the coal. Inside, there was mountains of coal, enough to keep the village warm for centuries. However, none of it was given out to the miners, as this coal was the property of Canterlot Mining Industries. The coal was to stay there until winter, where it will stay until the railroads have access to the village.

"Surely they won't miss a bagful" The mare says to herself scooping a bag full of coal, nothing more, not even filling her pockets.

As she climbed out of the crawl space, a Pegasus Guard, who had been watching her every move, called out. "Intruder! Stop Thief!"

The mare took off on a run, the coal has to get back to her children. The Pegasus pulled out his crossbow, took aim, and fired.

"Buu" Silver Tail poked his brother again. "Where's mommy, I'm scared."

Bucephalus who was cradling his younger siblings, merely shook his head. "I don't know."

Silver Tail continued looking out the window for any sign of their mother.

"Look!" Silver Tail cries out. "Mommy is back."

Bucephalus put Coal Skin and Stone back in their cribs, and looked out the window.

"Mother!" Bucephalus calls out as he rushes to meet his mother.

The bleeding had finally stopped... The mare looked around, and saw a trail of blood in the snow where she'd been running. Reaching down, she pulls the crossbow bolt out of her body.

"AGHHH!" The pain was unbearable for the mare. But she had completed her objective.

"Mother." Bucephalus looks at his mother who was lying down on the ground. "Mother... please get up." Bucephalus tries hard to get his mother to stand up, but his six year old body is not strong enough to move it.

"I'm... not sure if I can..." The mare struggles to get on her hoofs, but collapses onto the ground.

"Here Bucephalus, put these in the stove. They should keep you warm tonight." The mare hands the bag of coal to Bucephalus.

"Mommy.." Silver Tail says as he brings his little stuffed bear dragging behind him. "Mommy?"

Several of the guards arrive at the Brom place.

"Ahh, there's the thief. I'll be taking that back, thank you." The guard says as he yanks the bag out of Bucephalus' hoof.

"Please sir..." Bucephalus pulls on the coal guard's uniform "My mommy's sick, can you help?"

The guard pulls away and slaps Bucephalus.

"Help? HELP?! This bitch stole Canterlot Coal Industries Property. You'd be lucky if we didn't cuff her for that. Lets move out... leave the body here."

The guards follow the road back to their base.

"Buu" Silver Tail pulls on Bucephalus' coat."Mommy and babies are sleeping."