• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 1,399 Views, 34 Comments

A Storm is Coming - Plasmadon



A wizard who tends to fight fallen angels for a living has to deal with ponies. Guess what happens.

  • ...
6
 34
 1,399

Chapter One: Everyone, Feel Bad for Sarge!

A Storm is Coming

Chapter One: Everyone, Feel Bad for Sarge!



My name is Selfless Guardian. Everyone calls me Sarge. I came to Canterlot when I was a young foal and-


*BEEP*

*BEEP*

*BEEP*


I quickly jumped out of bed, gave my mane a quick brush, went out into the hallway and stood at attention. The General walked past and gave his evaluation. “Passable. next time, do it in 10.” I should probably back up and explain things.

When I was a foal my parents and I had been picnicking near the Everfree Forest when a manticore wandered out of the forest. My parents had tried to run but the manticore was too fast and they were dead before I even realized what was going on. If it wasn’t for a passing guard who at the time was only a new recruit, I would have died as well. Sadly the guard, who later became Captain Shining Armor, wasn’t strong enough yet to defeat the manticore on his own and was almost killed. When I saw this I jumped in to save him, earning my cutie mark of a crystal purple heart covered by a shining silver shield, as well as a huge scar that completely covers my left flank and the cutie mark on that side. Shining Armor took the opportunity and managed to defeat the manticore and from there I don’t know what happened as I blacked out.

I remember waking up with the then Captain, Stronghoof, who offered to take me in due to my bravery and what he described as “Probably the most stupid, suicidal, and crazy thing I have ever seen, and if I don’t take care of you, you’re probably going to end up dead within a week trying to save the princess from a dragon.” While he was pretty strict and very tough on me he’s still the man I call dad. Granted, I call him General just to irk him, as he’s retired. My adopted brother Steelhoof is actually nothing like General, he’s an avid inventor and neither General nor Mom knows where he gets it from. Mom’s job is making glass and mirrors and she specializes in stained glass paintings, and her name is Shard Breaker.

Mother is….an interesting pony, to say the least. She works at the Canterlot Glassworks as the main flint. Mother took her job very seriously as they were in charge of making the story panes in the castle. She often talks in a rather strange accent even though she has never left Canterlot in the entirety of her life. She speaks quite fancily in the times she isn’t using her accent.

I should probably get back to the present as father is calling me down to the table. “Sarge, I want you to know that while I've given you a lot of freedom, especially since you've done such a good job upholding the Royal Guard’s name, I believe it’s time to actually time to give you an actual job. Due to the recent issues with Discord the Princess wants to have someone watch over the bearers of the elements, however she doesn't want to send a member of the Royal Guard as that could cause unnecessary concerns in the populace. She asked me to go, but I’m getting on in my years and I believe that this is a job you can handle easily, and since I know you two are inseparable Steelhoof can go as well. You will receive a salary of 200 bits a week, to do with as you please, and there will be a bank account you can access for mission expenses. The account will be refilled to 500 bits every other week, but you will have to send a message to the Princess about what the bits will be used on every time you make a withdrawal. This mission will last until the Princess deems fit to end it, either due to the protection no longer being needed or due to you being permanently disabled for some reason or another.”

I was stunned, Not only was I being given an actual paying job, I would get to see Twilight again, who I haven’t seen in years.

“One last thing,” said General. “Captain Shining Armor would like to see you before you leave tomorrow.” That got me excited, I hadn’t seen Shining Armor in a while and I’d been meaning to show him the new helmet design that Steelhoof came up with.

“Wait, tomorrow? That doesn’t give us much time to pack,” I said. General gave me a quick glance.

“You mean to tell me you don’t already have a fully packed bag of supplies to last you a week in any sort of setting hiding in your room already?” I blushed, not knowing he knew about that. “Plus you won’t need much seeing as the house you will be staying in is fully furnished and stocked, as the last resident was my brother Boltshot, who recently moved out to a little town near Las Pegasus named Pahrump and left me the house.”

I went to Steelhoof’s room to tell him that we are going to be heading to Ponyville, however he didn’t seem to be in it. All of a sudden I heard an explosion coming from the basement. Knowing him he probably was trying to build another of his crazy inventions, so I went to investigate and see if we needed to get the fire extinguisher again. “Hey, you blown your wings off yet?” I hollered down,

“Not quite blown off but I could use some help getting up,” Steelhoof replied. I carefully made my way down the stairs looking for any shrapnel or debris and saw Steelhoof stuck underneath a table.

“So what blew up this time?” I asked.

“My jig-saw puzzle,” he mumbled back at me. That confused me so after I managed to get my brain started again I asked him

“What was in that puzzle?”

“Only the normal stuff, you know cardboard glue, gunpowder….” I quickly cut him off there saying, “For the last time gunpowder IS NOT an ingredient to everything, anyways guess where we’re going.”

“I don’t know, Pony Joe’s?”

“Nope, Ponyville, right after we see Shining Armor tomorrow.”

Seeing as it had been a long time since we had seen Shining Armor and probably would be a year or so until we would see him again, we decided to bring him a working version of the helmets Steelhoof had designed. Sadly we couldn’t keep it from exploding due to the fact Steelhoof kept going overboard with the gunpowder in the helmets launcher mechanism, so we ended up brining an incomplete model.



“Shining it’s been forever since we’ve seen you, you really do need to work on getting more free time,” Steelhoof announced.

“Heh, how about you decide to finally get off your lazy flank and take the time to fly here when I do have time then?” Shining retorted. “Anyways about the reason I asked for you to come here, there’s some things I’m going to have to give to you before you can go to Ponyville. First, is this letter for the Mayor of Ponyville so she knows what you’re doing there, as well as a personal letter to Twilight I’d like you to deliver. Next, this is something I know you’ve been dying to get your hooves on” He says while floating the letters and-”

“Oh my gosh is that..?”

“Yes, it is indeed the Amaterasu.” The Amaterasu is a powerfully magical polearm weapon that’s blade is a nasty looking curved edge, similar to a scimitar, yet not quite as wide or sharply curved.

“But why would you be giving me this?” I asked

“Simple, you’ve shown immense proficiency in polearm class weapons, as well as a strong desire to have this weapon, and you will be protecting the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony. The only things that will be a threat to them is most likely going to be an opponent that a normal weapon wouldn’t work too well against. Now I believe the train will be leaving soon so I suggest you hurry to the station,” Shining supplied. We quickly made our way to the station after saying good-bye to Shining and handing over the helmet and the designs for it.



I had been disappointed that we wouldn’t be able to talk to Shining all that much, yet I was rather happy that we would get to see Twilight again, who we hadn’t seen in years. However I know Steelhoof was more than “happy” he would get to see her again. We hadn’t done too much hanging out with her yet I still considered her a friend, and I knew that Steelhoof had a huge crush on her. Funnily enough, he had never managed to actually get a chance to talk to her as she either didn’t pay much attention to him or he ended up chickening out. As I gazed out at the scenery of the countryside I was again amazed at its beauty. The intercom of the train suddenly burst out “We will be arriving in Ponyville in just a few minutes.” I woke up the napping Steelhoof. “Wuzz goin on…” he mumbled.

“We’re almost in Ponyville, you should probably get ready.” As he got up and stretched out I could see the train pulling into the station so I got our bags down, and quickly put mine on and then hoofed Steelhoof his.

As we stepped out of the train I noticed no one else actually got off of the train, which is pretty unusual, however not unheard of, especially as Ponyville’s a pretty small place. I went to ask which way the mayor’s office was from a pink pony I saw passing by.

“AUUUUHHHHH!!!!!”