• Published 11th Feb 2013
  • 2,686 Views, 149 Comments

Bladewing: The Rise of a Hero - Cavalryunit001



Nothing lasts forever. The destruction of the Jedi Order showed just that. But where one journey ends, a new one begins.

  • ...
44
 149
 2,686

Rite of Passage

Darkness filled the heavens by the time Bladewing returned home. He decided to explore the city some more before heading back to his room, and though the move had significantly drained him of his stamina, it was an outcome he was counting on. Few things herald a deep and peaceful sleep like exhaustion.

“*yawn* I can’t wait,” murmured Bladewing, “I feel like I’ve been out here forever.” Forever was a word Bladewing rarely used, but he was too tired to think of a better one. He was more concerned with making it to his bed without fumbling with his hoofsteps.

He passed through the front door quietly. It was almost midnight, so he knew that the Hearts were currently in deep sleep themselves. Climbing the stairs would’ve been easy had he not been so depleted of energy. His tired muscles ached with every step he took, as if they were lashing out at him for prolonging their stress with this slower speed. Even so, Bladewing bore the strain and did his very best to reach his room without waking the couple. It was all the more unfortunate for him that his body would not cooperate with him this time.

“*grunt* Come on... n-not... now...” His legs no longer able to bear his weight, he went into a crawl and collapsed with a soft thud shortly thereafter with a sigh. His bedroom door was just to the side of his head.

*** THE NEXT MORNING ***

The golden rays of the morning sun shone through the windows of the Heart residence. A few of them managed to reach Bladewing’s face, and though he was well-rested, he didn’t like getting flashed in the eyes. He grumbled and kept a hoof in front of his eyes as he sat upright in his bed.

“*yawn* What a night. That was some dream.” Bladewing was shocked when he removed his hoof from his face to find himself back in his room. He rubbed his eyes firmly thinking he was seeing things, yet all that happened was his pupils returning to normal size.

“Whoa. How did I get here?” Bladewing took a moment to think about his question... and then remembered everything.

“*sigh* Damn. I must’ve fallen asleep on the spot. So much for making it to my room.” Bladewing exited his room and moved towards the bathroom, pondering incessantly over the matter while he took a shower. No answer came to him even after he finished, but it wasn’t a complete waste. At the very least, he still managed to get a good night’s rest.

While Bladewing didn’t find an answer to his question, he did find something else once he came down the stairs. That something just so happened to be Diamond Heart, and he was busy feeding Ruby some applesauce.

“Hello there, Bladewing,” he greeted, “I trust you slept well last night?”

“I have,” Bladewing spoke through a yawn, “Although I wasn’t expecting to wake in my bed.”

“Ah, yes. Topaz was the one who carried you to your room. She told me she found you lying unconscious outside your room. Whatever did you do last night?”

“Oh, I was just exploring again. I was at a different part of the city this time, so I took a little longer to return. I thought I had enough fuel left in me to get myself to bed, but I guess I was wrong.”

“*chuckle* So you were. It’s perfectly all right, though. I’m sure it was worth it for you if you enjoyed it.”

“In more ways than one,” joked Bladewing, “but I digress. I don’t suppose I’m late for breakfast again?”

“Actually, we both are,” reassured Diamond, pointing a hoof at a stack of pancakes, “Topaz left a note for me saying the in-laws need her help with something, so she made breakfast for the both of us while we were still in bed. I’m not sure how long these were out, but let’s find out together.”

“Hopefully, they’re not too cold.” The two stallions chuckled lightly at their misfortune. Bladewing took a seat opposite of where Diamond sat, and as he began loading a plate with his share of pancakes, Diamond began self-administering medication, in the form of a familiar cocktail of ingredients.

“Huh,” spoke Bladewing curiously, “Is that the home remedy Topaz spoke of?”

“It is,” Diamond replied reluctantly, “A brew so ghastly it may as well be a potion concocted by witchcraft.”

“Oh, come on, Diamond,” Bladewing chuckled humorously, “It can’t be THAT bad. I’ll admit that some of the ingredients on that list she gave me seemed strange, but they don’t sound like anything that would taste horrible in a mixture.”

“You don’t know my wife as I do, Bladewing. She always adds an ingredient that tastes nasty and overpowers the flavors of the others. ‘It helps numb the headaches,’ she tells me. Well, how I see it, she’s asking me to first feel discomfort in order to get RID of discomfort.”

“I see. May I try some?”

“You sure? I’m not joking about this.”

“*chuckle* Neither am I.” If Bladewing’s words weren’t enough to convince Diamond, his daring grin certainly was... and as such, he found no further reason to deny his request.

“Heh. I should’ve figured he’d be this way. If he can brave a two-on-one battle against the sisters, this should be nothing to him.”

“Very well, Bladewing,” Diamond spoke, pouring out some of the medical brew into a small glass, “Let’s do it together.” Bladewing took the glass from Diamond Heart with a smile.

“Cheers.” The two stallions clinked their glasses together, downing the medicine with one gulp... and Bladewing quickly understood why Diamond disliked it so much.

“Elw,” Bladewing spoke, putting the glass down with a grimace, “Ugh, GOD, that’s vile.”

“Told you so,” replied Diamond, “Do you see what I mean?”

“I do... and I think it’s burning my throat, ack!”

“Here, let me get you some water.” Diamond grabbed a clean glass from a tray and filled it with ice-cold water.

“Thanks.” Bladewing wasted no time taking the glass and draining it of every last drop of water. Until it was done, he didn’t pause for a single second.

“*sigh* That’s better. I was so not expecting that.”

“That’s the side effects for you,” spoke Diamond, “One of them, anyway. I’ve always found that one the most irritating.”

“But I don’t get it. Just what did Topaz put in this stuff that makes it taste so horrible?”

“Your guess is as good as mine, Bladewing. Topaz never tells me what that ingredient is. All I know of the matter is that she insists the medicine works better with the ingredient than without it... and so far, she’s never been wrong. I heal from colds in 2 to 3 days with this brew whereas I take at least 5 with normal medication.”

“I see. Is there no way to mask this flavor? Or at least minimize it?”

“I’m afraid doing so will ruin its medicinal properties, Bladewing... or so Topaz tells me. That ingredient will stay in there for so long as she can’t find a more pleasant replacement for it.”

“Damn. I don’t know which is worse: the cold or the cure.”

“*chuckle* Imagine how I feel drinking this stuff every morning. It’s quite literally all I have for energy whenever I wake up late for work.” Bladewing looked at Diamond Heart with shock.

“What? Just how do you work with nothing but a vile liquid in your stomach?”

“Let’s just say you become numb to the nastiness after a few rounds.”

“Oh. I guess there’s no avoiding it, then.” Bladewing was unsure whether he’d get used to the medicine’s flavor himself, but he trusted Diamond’s word. At the very least, he knew it was as equally effective as it was vile... and more importantly, that he didn’t have a cold for it to cure.

“Indeed. But let’s forget about it for now. Today will be my last day of drinking this medicine. Besides, I’m sure Mountain Wind won’t want to hear about a bad experience you had with home remedies.”

“Mountain Wind...” A thought was trying to surface into Bladewing’s mind, but once it did, he was awash with alarm. When he looked at what his hoof-watch read, it was even more so.

“Gah, this can’t be!” Bladewing shrieked, “It’s almost time for the rehearsals!”

“What?” replied Diamond with surprise, “When does it start?”

“In five minutes!”

“By goddess! You better get going, man. We can’t have you late for this.”

“Ack, I know, but I’ll need to get my armor first. Give me a moment.” Bladewing galloped up the stairs to retrieve the Council knight armor the king gave him, and he returned in it just as quickly. He didn’t bother to check for any imperfections on it before putting it on as he never took it out of his wardrobe until now. He had but one goal in mind as he went back to the kitchen: get to Mountain Wind’s palace on time.

“Take this, Bladewing,” Diamond told him, giving him an apple, "It's not much, but it should stave off hunger for a short while.”

“Thanks,” replied Bladewing, “I’ll be back soon.”

“Good luck with the rehearsals.” Bladewing tipped his head in agreement and exited hastily through the front door out of the house. Somehow, he was able to keep himself from slamming it. Diamond was thankful for that, but he was more concerned over whether Bladewing would make it in time... for even with flight, he had a lot of distance to cover in just a few minutes.

The wind brushed hard against Bladewing’s face. At his speed, the few droplets of juice that escaped his mouth from biting into the apple smeared in streaks across his cheeks like thin wet stripes. He managed to rub most of it off him, but his fur still gleamed a bit in the areas where the juice marked him... and with no open sources of water nearby, it would stay this way until he found a bathroom. Moments like these are usually the exceptions where looks did matter to him, but making it to Mountain Wind’s palace on time was all he could think of for now. He decided he’ll worry about presentation after he beat the clock.

And sure enough, Bladewing indeed made it on time. Granted, he was at the gates on the dot, but he was sure that Mountain Wind would still count it as being on time. After all, given how long he had to rehearse the knighting ceremony, one or two minutes lost was sure to be negligible. Unfortunately, his recklessness with his appearance would still cost him, in the form of a chuckling, but friendly stallion standing guard with his younger comrade.

“Welcome back, Bladewing,” Rigor told him, “How ya been this morning?”

“A lot livelier, that’s for sure,” joked Bladewing.

“You don’t say, lad. I can see it on your face.” Bladewing shot a confused look just as Solar chuckled softly. He felt his face with a hoof and noticed immediately by the sticky feeling on his hooves that some of the apple’s juices dried into sticky streaks across his cheeks.

“Damn. I must’ve eaten sloppier than I thought.”

“Here.” Bladewing looked curiously at Solar as he gave him a damp rag. He remembered that Rigor told him that Solar was a bit jealous of him for having both a marefriend and the future title of Council Knight, and so his generosity at the moment surprised him. However, given the circumstances, he was grateful for it. He took the rag graciously from the guard and took a short moment to wipe his face clean.

“Thanks.” Solar just grinned as Bladewing gave him back the rag.

“*ahem* Right then,” said Rigor to Bladewing with a more serious tone, “Let’s get you inside. Help me with the gates, Solar.”

“Yes, sir.” Bladewing smiled and tipped his head in thanks, passing through towards the palace in a speed walk, but not before Rigor had a moment of curiosity himself.

“Heh... I wonder what’s gotten Solar in a good mood.”

Meanwhile, waiting for Bladewing by the king’s throne was Blue Belle. Although she was accustomed to seeing him in the palace, she was more so pleased to see him this time around because of his appearance. All that now stood between him and his place within the king’s high Council is his knighting. Once he successfully executed this rite of passage, he will show the entire nation that he is worthy of the armor he is wearing... and more importantly, of the power it bestowed on him.

“Well done, Bladewing,” she spoke with a smile, “You came right on time.”

“I wouldn’t miss this for the world, Belle,” replied Bladewing with enthusiasm, “Let’s do it.”

“You got it. The others are waiting for you in the dueling room as we speak. Let’s not keep them waiting.” Bladewing nodded and followed Belle to the room. Like Belle, all five of the knights – Clover, Lafleur, Ice Luster, Silver Streak, and especially Sky Walker – were pleased to see him once more, and they were eager to begin rehearsing.

“Good to see ya again, laddie,” spoke Clover, “Ya ready to learn how it’s done?”

“I am indeed, Clover,” Bladewing answered, “I’ve been looking forward to this.”

“We all were, sugah,” added Ice with a grin, “We’ve been anxious ta see yer knightin’ through since day one. Right, Sky?”

“You bet,” replied Sky Walker, “But before we get this little party started, we wanna introduce ya to one more of the crew. You mind if I take over, Belle?”

“Go ahead, Sky. You have the green.”

“Sweet.” Besides the five knights Bladewing already knew, there was one more standing next to them. Her fur coat was cream-colored while her main and tail were blonde, the latter two complimenting the blue irises of her eyes. Regardless of her background, she was a sight to behold.

“This cool earth pony gal you see here is Laurie. Laurie, this is Bladewing.”

“A pleasure to meet you, herr Bladewing,” Laurie spoke, shaking his hoof, “My full name is Lauren von Schneider, but Laurie is fine if you vant. As you can see, my comrades prefer this version of my name.”

“I can see why,” chuckled Bladewing, “But to be honest, I like your full name just fine. It’s very unique. Are from you here?”

“Mm-hm. Born and raised. However, both of my parents come from Germainey.”

“Germainey, you say?”

“Ja. My father used to vork as a shipwright in ze German navy. He helped build and repair naval vessels for Kaiser Wilhemein for a living.”

“Kaiser means ‘emperor’ in German,” Sky whispered to Bladewing, a fact to which Bladewing assimilated with a nod.

“Wow. That’s very interesting, Laurie. What made your dad decide to move your family out of Germainey?”

“Vell, it’s... complicated. I vasn’t even conceived yet vhen he made ze decision. He made a very decent salary from his vork, but my mother told me he vanted ‘better for ze family’. My parents veren’t exactly poor or in debt, but for reasons even Mum didn’t know, my father felt at ze time that our family could live better if we made Cydonia our home. And so one day, when he earned enough bits to buy a house here in Fredericksmare, he and my mother moved out of Germainey and into Cydonia. I’ve yet to understand vhat my dear papa meant by ‘better’, but I vouldn’t trade ze life I have here in this country for anything... *chuckle* and now vith YOU in ze gang, it’s even less so.”

“Aw, thanks. That makes feel even happier to have accepted the job. Speaking of which, how did you become part of the Council?”

“*giggle* Vell, that’s a much longer story, but let’s just say that it helped that my French sister here vasn’t ze only one ze king favored during ze finals at ze Royal Dueling Championship.”

“Oui,” interjected Lafleur heartily, “She and I met for ze very first time at my last RDC. She’s quite skilled, mon ami – we ended in a draw for three whole rounds before I finally defeated her. I tell you, I never sweated so much in my entire life as she made me did in ze finals.”

“No way,” replied Bladewing with a grin, “That’s incredible. You guys must be equally matched if it took so long to decide a winner.”

“Ja,” continued Laurie, “But we still have an occasional duel vhenever we have free time together. You know, for ze sake of keeping each other’s skills sharp... *chuckle* and also to show Lafleur here that she’s far from ze only ‘lioness’ in ze crew.” Lafleur chuckled at Laurie’s remark and hugged her closely in solidarity.

“And let me tell ya, stud,” chimed Skywalker, “When those two duke it out, it’s one hell of a fight.” Bladewing smiled and nodded being pleased to have heard as much as he did just now.

“Nice, very nice,” he continued, “We’ve only just met, and I’m already feeling like I’ve known you for years. I look forward to learning more about you, Laurie. Especially about the rest of your journey to the Council.”

“And I you, mein freund,” replied Laurie happily, “Believe me vhen I say I look equally as forward to vorking with you.”

“Awesome.” Bladewing turned his head to Blue Belle. “Let’s carry on, Belle.”

“You got it.” Blue Belle took a moment to clear her throat before continuing. “Normally, it’s tradition that the soon-to-be-knighted pony gets introduced to all the current members of the Council during the rehearsal period. In your case, Bladewing, I’m afraid we’ll have to make an exception. The other five knights you’ve yet to meet are still serving active duty outside of Fredericksmare.”

“Ah, so THAT’s why they’re not here.”

“Indeed. It will take some before they complete their missions and return to the palace for debriefing. In the meantime, we’ll have to make do with the few of us that are here now.”

“And Mountain Wind?”

“The king will be here shortly, Bladewing. He just stepped outside for a bit for some fresh air.”

“All right. Let’s get started, then.”

“Right. Get in formation, everypony. Today begins the first day of rehearsals.” Bladewing smiled to have seen the other knights cheer before getting into their role in Bladewing’s knighting. There was little doubt in his mind that the next two weeks will be a blast.

***THE DAY BEFORE THE KNIGHTING***

It was 8 in the evening, and the night cast its shadow upon Cydonia and her capital. Bladewing completed the final rehearsal of his knighting for the day roughly an hour ago, and he was currently with Clover, Skywalker and the king at a little party thrown by the palace kitchen staff to celebrate Bladewing’s successful completion of the rehearsals. Blue Belle and the other knights have left by this time, and Bladewing was enjoying one last slice of mushroom pizza at the table with the rest of the group.

“*sigh* That was a good feast,” Clover spoke with bliss.

“It sure was,” agreed Sky, finishing her last glass of wine, “The chefs have outdone themselves this time, sir.”

“I’ll be sure to pass the compliment,” mused Mountain Wind with a grin.

“Cool. I’m gonna call it a night. Thanks for the food.”

“Aye,” chuckled Clover, moving off his chair, “I feel the same, sir. Ya have me thanks for the vittles as well.”

“You’re most welcome,” replied Mountain Wind, “Sleep well... and I'll see the both of you here tomorrow morning.”

“Sir.” After saying that in unison, Clover and Skywalker bowed their heads to the king in respect. But before she left with Clover out of the palace, Sky walked over to Bladewing and gave him a hug.

“I hope you’re ready for this, stud,” she murmured softly to him, “It’s gonna be all eyes on you tomorrow.”

“*chuckle* I feel as ready as I’ll ever be, Sky.”

“Sweet. See ya tomorrow.” Bladewing agreed with a nod and with that, Skywalker walked together with Clover out of the palace... and at least for him, it wasn’t a moment too soon.

“Now then, Bladewing,” Mountain Wind said to the pegasus, “I hope you’ve enjoyed the little party I threw for you.”

“I have, sir,” Bladewing replied with a grin, “After spending two weeks mastering my movements and lines for the ceremony, I feel this was the perfect way to end the rehearsals before the big day comes.”

“Excellent. As you know, there is one more step you must take before the knighting can begin.”

“Yes. I must convene with Heaven in the Holy Temple of Faust.”

“Correct. It’s a small part of your rite of passage into the Council, but it’s an important one nonetheless. Are you ready for it?” Bladewing made sure to finish his slice of pizza and clean his hooves with a napkin before answering.

“I’m ready when you are, sir.”

“Good. Let us go.” After ordering the maids standing by the food tables to clean up the room, Mountain Wind left with Bladewing out of the dueling room.

Even now, as he was to have an audience with a literally divine mare, Bladewing was hesitant to believe in immortal beings. The memory of the spectral mare he encountered in his dream lingered in his mind, and though he had no proof that both the experience and the mare weren’t real, he wanted more evidence that she was not only a goddess, but also in fact Faust herself. He felt that perhaps in this first step of his rite of passage, he would at last find some answers.

Within a few minutes, Bladewing and the king arrived at the mahogany doors of the temple. Father Nexus was standing behind it, and his back was facing them as he observed the temple disciples singing part of a verse-less song. He turned to face the two stallions as soon as he heard the doors behind him open.

“Good evening, your majesty,” he told the king, bowing in respect, “I trust the festivities went well?”

“They have indeed, Nexus... and now that they’re finished, it’s time for the next step of Bladewing’s knighting. I’ll let you take over from here.”

“As you wish, my lord.” Mountain Wind turned his attention to Bladewing for the final time today.

“I’ll retire to my chambers for the night, Bladewing. Father Nexus will guide you through this last step. You are free to do as you wish when it’s done, but remember: though the ceremony tomorrow will start promptly at 10 a.m, I want you in the palace conference room by 9:30. Be sure you’ve had enough sleep by then.”

“Understood. Rest easy, sir.”

“You as well, Bladewing. See you then.” As soon as the king exited the temple, Bladewing turned to face Father Nexus once more.

“How does it feel to have come this far in your life, Bladewing?” The young pegasus returned the warm smile of the old priest with one of his own.

“I feel very accomplished, Father. Saving the Heart family, becoming Fredericksmare’s dueling champion, meeting my marefriend, and now becoming a Council knight? I feel like I’ve done and gained more than I ever would in a year or even a decade.”

“As well you should. Every step you make has a purpose... and look where they got you. So few can stand tall when the odds are against them. Even fewer can persevere.”

“It was nothing. I am but an example of what ponies are capable of. All who believe in justice have the potential to do the same.”

“*chuckle* And that’s why Mountain Wind chose you, child. The nobility of the Council shines naturally from you... and through both your choices and your actions, you’ve proven that you’re worthy of the power it bestows upon its chosen.”

“I am grateful that you think so, Father. I’m sure that after tonight, it’ll be even more so.”

“And so it shall be, my son. Let’s carry on.” With that said, Bladewing followed Father Nexus down the purple carpet in between the two columns of disciples... and given the details of this ritual, he found it very interesting. Each column had 12 disciples (or 24 in all), and the disciples themselves had lit candles in front of them. Each one was hooded, and only their muzzles were visible before the light of the candles. The song they sang sounded very heavenly to Bladewing, despite being somewhat foreboding in nature. All in all, this ritual was indeed one of repentance, and though Bladewing didn't regret protecting the Heart family, he knew he still had to repent his taking life to do so. For him, violence was a burden made heavier with every kill he made outside of war.

In only a moment, he and Nexus reached the temple’s podium. In front of this podium stood an altar, and Nexus turned to face him shortly afterwards.

“It’s time, Bladewing. Relinquish your arms. The holy mother forbids violence in her house of worship... and future knights are not allowed to carry weapons during sacred rites like this one. They will be returned to you when the ritual is complete.” Bladewing needed no further persuasion. He took his lightsabers and gave them to the lone female disciple standing next to him. Now that he was unarmed, Nexus turned to face the white alicorn embodied in the glass window before him... and Bladewing lowered his head in solidarity with the disciples of the temple.

“Lay them down here, child,” Nexus told the girl, patting the altar, “and bring the sacrificial crops.”

“Yes, Father,” she replied, bowing her head. After placing the lightsabers on the altar, she left for a brief moment to obtain the produce Nexus requested. Once she had them in a wicker basket in her foreleg, Nexus beckoned her to put said basket next to the podium (as well as a sample of Bladewing’s blood he took from the pegasus the day before). Now that he had everything he needed, Nexus began the ritual, all while the other disciples continued their singing.

“Hear us, o heavenly mother. We come before you tonight to ask that you grace us with your presence. Bladewing is here with us. Our lord king has chosen him to stand with his other warriors and help him in his quest to lead us into a new era of peace and prosperity. I, your most faithful servant, beseech thee.” In only a second after saying this last sentence, Bladewing sensed another presence enter the temple. It was a friendly one, and though he couldn’t see it in his position, he could detect its movement without much of a hassle. This presence took the form of a translucent white mist, and it passed through the doors of the temple and then through the lane made by the two columns of disciples. Bladewing felt this warm mist brush by his sides before ultimately gathering within the glass that made up the body of the white alicorn in the window and the stars that surrounded her. The now-possessed glass panes glowed from the window with a shimmering baby blue aura, indicating to Father Nexus and the disciples that their divine goddess was among them.

“This is it,” Bladewing thought to himself, “She’s here. Maybe now I will finally get some answers.”

“You may rise, everypony,” Nexus told them, “The holy mother is among us.” Without hesitation, Bladewing and the disciples rose from their knees and stood tall. Their current song had finished by this time, and now that it did, they began to sing another verse-less one. This one also sounded heavenly to Bladewing, but it was also a bit more cheerful. Though he came here to repent before Faust, he felt more at ease with this new song.

“We thank you for joining us, o mighty one,” Nexus continued, “Now we ask that you hear our audience. This brave warrior standing before you rescued a family of three from death at the claws of dragons. It is true that he claimed their lives to protect this family, but we ask that you show him mercy and pardon him for the blood that he spilled that day, for only those whose sins have been forgiven can serve on this great Council... and only you have the power to cleanse the soul.” The old priest returned to face Bladewing once more.

“Raise your head, Bladewing.” The pegasus did as Nexus asked, and he prepared himself for whatever the old priest would ask of him next.

“Faust and her angels are here, my son... and I can hear them talking. They say that they too find you worthy of being a Council knight. However, Faust herself says you are destined for even greater things. She spoke to you one night, didn’t she?” Bladewing’s eyes shot open in surprise. He was getting a feeling that Nexus may know more about him than he let on.

“H-How... how did you know?”

“*chuckle* I can sense that you have doubt. That is, doubt over whether or not deities exist... but I can assure you, child, that they do. Faust herself is real, as was the rest of your dream. I wouldn’t have known about it if she were but a figment of your imagination.” Nexus winked at Bladewing shortly after saying that, a startling indication to the pegasus of just how much he knew of his encounter with Faust.

“Bloody hell. It’s like he heard every word I exchanged with her. Could it really be that Faust and the mare I encountered are one in the same?” Bladewing had little idea how to answer this question. He briefly looked up to the window behind Nexus but once he saw the glowing mare within it, the realization that hit him also unnerved him.

“N-No way... it’s her. Faust was the one I was talking to this whole time.” Unsettled by the shock of his realization, Bladewing was unable to decide what to do next. He at last found the answers he sought, but now he had more questions in his mind. What was the danger Faust warned him about so long ago? What exactly does she mean by “greater things”? And could it be that despite doing everything on his own, this immortal mare was somehow controlling his fate? The daunting idea of the latter caused him to look away and tremble within, more so than he ever did since the moment he woke in this world. For the very first time, Bladewing felt the genuine and paralyzing sensation of fear... but fortunately for the now nervous pegasus, Nexus understood his dilemma. He can literally feel the fear that now dominated Bladewing’s heart, and as a humble servant of Heaven, he intended to dispel all fear from those who have earned Faust’s favor.

“Don’t be alarmed, Bladewing. I know it’s a lot to take in, but you don’t need to be afraid. Faust doesn’t want you to fear anything... and for that matter, neither do I.”

“I know, Father,” murmured Bladewing, “It’s just... I have so many questions to ask now.”

“I’m sure you do, my son. You will receive answers to all of them in due time. However, you must learn to trust our holy mother. She can tell you what you want to know, but only if you can accept her existence.”

“I... I’m not sure I can. I never felt as scared in my time here as I do now. For once in my life, I have to completely change how I view both destiny and reality... and I’m unsure if I’ll have what it takes to move forward if I do.”

“I understand. Adjusting to change is never easy, but you don’t have to do it alone. You have me, your new family and the one you call your marefriend to rely on for support – and once you’re knighted, Mountain Wind and the Council as well. It may be that you arrived alone in this land because you once led a solitary life but whether it’s true or not, you won’t be so alone here. None who serve on the side of good are ever truly alone.” The old priest’s words inspired Bladewing, but he still held fast to the old way of thinking that carried him here. There was nothing wrong with trusting tried and true experience, but Bladewing knew well that he couldn’t grow as a person if he resisted change. Realizing that Faust was both real and the one he spoke to in his dreams finally shattered his notion that gods and goddesses didn’t exist, and if he continued to persist in this and other beliefs that his divine encounter disproved, he would never realize his full potential. Thus, it was clear to him what he must do now. However, he wanted more assurance that this alteration of his lifestyle will be the right choice.

“You’re sure that Faust will answer all of my questions?”

“All in due time, Bladewing. Like the motherly figure she is, she will help you no matter what – but only if you let her into your heart. Let go of the world you once knew, child, and embrace the one that welcomes you with open arms. Its doors will lead you to the future you were meant to have; but it’s up to you to decide whether to pass through them or seal them forever.” Reassured that he will indeed get answers to the new questions he had for the goddess, Bladewing turned to face Nexus knowing that the choice he now made meant there was no going back.

“Very well, Father. I have made my choice... and I choose to accept Faust into my life.” Nexus grinned warmly, for he could tell from both his smile and the tone in his voice that Bladewing was sincere... and now that he was, he had little doubt that Faust will indeed give him what he needs to not only join the Council, but also embrace the pony that she meant him to be.

“You have chosen wisely, my son. Faust will reward you in kind for your faith... and may your heart continue to guide you on your life’s journey.”

“Thank you, Father. Let’s get on with the ritual.”

“Of course. Now then...” Nexus motioned with a hoof for the female disciple next to him to replace the lightsabers that sat on the altar with the wicker basket containing the sacrificial produce. He thanked her for it before letting her return to her original position, and then he returned his attention to Bladewing.

“The Council awaits you, brave warrior. However, you are not yet pure. The blood of the dragons stains your soul as it does the ground on which they were slain. The holy mother abhors carnage on her peaceful lands, but she looked into your heart that day... and she sees you as one who doesn’t thirst for blood. She will pardon you for this slaughter and make you pure once more... but only if you confess to the deed. Do you claim responsibility for the ones you have sent to the grave?”

“I do, Father.”

“And do you repent?”

“Yes, Father. I find no pleasure in taking life... and I do it only if nothing else will save the innocent.” Nexus tipped his head to acknowledge Bladewing, and he then turned to face the glowing mare in the window.

“Bladewing has spoken, o great one. He wishes to use his strength only to serve the light and bring those who thrive in the shadows of evil to justice... and so we ask that you accept this offering as tribute to spare him the eternal punishment that comes with taking life.” Once he made his plea, Nexus took the tube containing the sample of Bladewing’s blood from the wicker basket and opened it, letting the contents flow freely onto the fruits and vegetables within said basket. As if struck by lightning, the basket was set alight only seconds afterwards. From what Blue Belle told him of this ritual (besides its purpose of getting the goddess to pardon the knight-to-be of his or her sins), Bladewing understood that the manner in which the pardon was granted depended on the severity of the sins or crimes.

For petty sins (like those that aren’t serious enough to warrant the attention of the royal family), the tribute varied depending on the type of sin committed. For example, if the sin involved money or valuables such as theft, the tribute offered to Faust involves the pony in question either surrendering all stolen valuables or paying a sum of money equal to the value of said valuables to the Faustian Order. Being an order that followed a vow of poverty, the High Priest or Priestess and their disciples would return these valuables to their rightful owners, and the ones that were left unclaimed after one full year were then sold to the public and all the proceeds either given to the poor, donated to charity, or both. The majority of the knights that served the kingdom since its birth fell into this category of sin.

For more serious crimes such as bullying, animal cruelty, and even corruption, the tribute offered to Faust was much greater. It required that for three entire days, the knight-to-be must endure extreme hardship – that is, he or she must live in isolation within the Holy Temple without a single bit of food or water. This ordeal served as penance for the pony in question to atone for the pain he or she inflicted upon those they have wronged. Needless to say, very few of the kingdom’s honorable knights committed crimes grave enough to warrant this type of atonement... and none who repented them ever dared to commit them again.

Normally, ponies with severe sins such as mutilation, rape, slavery, and especially murder were ineligible for the title of Council Knight as their crimes were deemed in the Order’s sacred texts as punishable by an eternity in Tartarus (in addition to possible persecution by the royal family.) However, under extremely rare circumstances outlined in Cydonian law, an individual guilty specifically of murder may be exempt from this rule. Bladewing’s case was one such exception. Since his only intention in killing the mighty lizards was to protect the Hearts from harm, he was still eligible to become a knight under the law... and according to a passage from the Book of Cielo, all Bladewing had to do to atone for spilling their blood was offer some of his own as tribute. Naturally, Bladewing was more than willing to cooperate. Father Nexus drew out a sample of his blood the day before using a needle and syringe and though small, this sample was more than enough for the offering. Bladewing was still required to confess his wrongdoings and repent before Faust, of course, but he was fortunate that taking life was the only sin he had to his soul.

“It is time, o heavenly mother,” Nexus continued, “Cast your judgment upon this young stallion.” Like a child awaiting a serious talk with his parents, Bladewing waited nervously for Faust to decide whether he would be forgiven or doomed to live as a marked pony. How Nexus and the disciples interpreted her verdict depended on the color change of the fire. If it turned blue, it meant that Heaven accepted the offering and the holy goddess pardoned Bladewing of his sins; if it turned green instead, it meant Heaven rejected the offering, and Bladewing didn’t truly repent. Nexus normally performed this variant of the ritual only for condemned prisoners facing capital punishment, and this was the first time he did it as part of the knighting ceremony. He understood why Bladewing was as timid as he was now. However, Bladewing’s timidity wasn’t as strong as when he made the connection between Faust and the mare he spoke to in his dream, especially since he committed no other sins. Regardless, he knew that the goddess had the final say in deciding whether he would be knighted or not. Needless to say, it was among the most nerve-wracking moments of his life.

Fortunately for the humble pegasus, Heaven showed its mercy to him tonight. As Nexus himself expected, the fire of the offering turned from orange-red to blue, a clear sign to the old priest that his immortal mistress cleansed Bladewing’s soul of the blood that stained it. He was now pure and ready to be knighted into the Council (as if the priest himself had any doubt.)

“The holy mother smiles upon you, Bladewing,” he told him, “Your sins have been forgiven. You may rise.”

“Thank you, Father.” With the ritual now complete, Bladewing rose to his hooves once more, relieved that his ordeal was over. The fire engulfing the sacrifice died down shortly afterwards, and the pegasus was amazed that all it left behind on the altar was soot. Everything else was quite literally consumed by the flames. The mist that possessed the glass image of the alicorn floated out of the temple and vanished into the wind, just as the disciples finished their last song.

“Well done, everypony,” Nexus told his disciples, “The ritual is complete. You may blow out your candles and retire for the night.” Happy that their work had been a success, the disciples bowed their heads to Nexus and then blew out their candles. They dispersed from their columns and exited the temple quietly, leaving only Nexus, Bladewing, and the female disciple still holding Bladewing’s lightsabers left within.

“Thank you for assisting me, Aura,” Nexus told the teen filly, “Return Bladewing’s weapons to him and you’re free to go. You have my blessing.”

“Thank you, Father.” The girl gave Bladewing’s lightsabers back to him, but not before bowing to Father Nexus in respect. She then left the two stallions alone with a smile as she headed for her room on the other side of the temple.

“*sigh* Such a sweet girl,” Nexus murmured to Bladewing, “It pains me to know that she started life the way she did.”

“How so, Father?” Bladewing asked.

“Well, I found her as a foal. I was returning with my disciples from a pilgrimage to the south when I noticed smoke to my left. We went to the site to investigate and to our horror, we found a log cabin burned to cinders. Soon we heard the sound of a baby crying to the side of the house, and that’s where I found her. She was in a little carriage that was slowly starting to catch fire, but we put out the flames before they could consume both her and the carriage. We were happy to have rescued her from the fire unharmed, but when we paid closer attention to the ruins, we found several burned corpses buried in the pile of charcoal and rock. We assumed that they were her family, but it was late in the evening and we didn’t have enough time to investigate further or give them a proper burial. After we brought her back to the temple and reported the incident to the authorities, I discovered through them that they were indeed her family. How she survived or how the fire even started we still don’t know but as a servant of the holy mother, I’m duty-bound to care for ponies like her who come my way. I scoured the royal database with Blue Belle for days afterwards looking for any living blood relatives, but none were found. I named her Aura and raised her as my own ever since.” Bladewing’s ears drooped in sadness.

“Oh... I’m sorry to hear that.”

“It's all right, Bladewing. It was pure hell what she went through, but I’m doing what I can as a father figure to help her become a strong and wise pony. It’s what any parent would want for their child.”

“I agree. I’m unsure whether her parents’ deaths were accidental or a product of murder, but I’ll tell you this, Father: it’s my hope that I’ll make this country a better place to live for ponies like her.”

“I will pray for your success, my son. As Faust herself told me, you are destined for things even greater than what you’ve already achieved. Have faith in her, and she’ll give you the strength you need to overcome all that stands in your way.”

“*sigh* Speaking of which... why does she say that? What does she see in me that compels her to think I’m going to become so great a pony?”

“Faust works in mysterious ways, Bladewing. As old as I am, even I don’t know what plans she has for us. Even so, there’s no reason for you to mistrust her. She only wants what is best for all of us.”

“Even if that means imposing unwanted burdens?” Nexus was confused at first but after thinking more critically of how Bladewing reacted during the ritual, he understood why he thought this way. As such, Nexus smiled and put a compassionate hoof on his bewildered friend’s shoulder before continuing.

“No path is set in stone. While it’s true that Faust has great expectations of those who earned her favor, we still have the freedom to choose whether our fates intertwine with those expectations or not. This chance for greatness is but an offer, Bladewing. I promise you that she would never force you into accepting it, whatever it may be. That decision was, is, and forever will be in your control.” Bladewing wasn’t sure if Nexus’s words were more than mere pep talk, but he was grateful to have heard them. If he didn’t already see him as a good friend, he sure did now... for as he saw it, Nexus was among the few that understood him. He returned Nexus’s kind words with a grin of his own and a firm hug of friendship.

“Thank you, Father. Adjusting to this new reality will not be easy, but I’m grateful to have a friend like you to help me with this transition.”

“You are most welcome, my son. I’m here for you whenever you need me. *yawn* With that said...” Nexus stretched his limbs before continuing. “I think it’s time I retired for the night. You’re free to stay and continue convening with Faust as long as you like... or return home, if you wish.”

“I’m sorely tempted to choose the latter, Father,” joked Bladewing, “My first attempt at the former failed miserably.”

“*chuckle* Don’t worry. I’m sure the only reason it did was because you lacked faith. I assure you that Faust will listen and speak to you if you truly want it. All you need to do... is believe.” With these as his parting words, Nexus turned towards the doors and exited the temple. Bladewing trusted Nexus, but he was still somewhat reluctant to try and talk to the goddess. Simply accepting her existence was daunting for him. Talking to her with no guarantee of a reply (or a way to know if she was even listening) was a prospect he was more likely to try if he were as drunk as the noble that cost him the bet with Rose. However, he knew that he would have to do it eventually if he wanted answers to the new questions that haunted his mind. On that note, he decided to get some peace of mind (even if only temporary) and finally get these answers before the confusion drove him insane. He turned towards the stained-glass window and took a deep breath before uttering his prayer to the immortal mare.

“*sigh* I’m not sure if you can hear me, goddess, but... I’m sorry. I’m sorry that for so long, I didn’t take you seriously. You didn’t deserve it; but please understand that this is not easy for me. This whole time I thought that gods and goddesses neither existed nor had any real influence over mortals’ lives. Now that I know that our time together was more than real, I have more questions to ask than ever... and I am not leaving this temple until you’ve answered every last one. I did my part in accepting you for both who and what you are, and now I ask that you do yours. Show yourself, Faust. For once in my life... I believe.” Just seconds after he uttered the final words of his prayer, Bladewing noticed the glass image of the alicorn mare glow once more. Once it reached a certain brightness, a mist – the same on he sensed during the ritual – floated out of it onto the floor. It shaped itself back into the translucent goddess, and though Bladewing could see that she was certainly listening, he was still wary of her. After all, she had yet to give him the answers he sought.

“So...” Bladewing held his ground as he looked into Faust’s eyes with audacity. “You’re real after all.” The smiling goddess tipped her head in agreement. “All right. I appreciate that you actually answered this time. Even so, Faust... you owe me some answers.”

“*chuckle* As I said, Bladewing: all in due time. However, you needn’t be so defensive.”

“Easy for you to say. You’re not the one who’s been chosen by a deity to carry out a quest you barely know about.”

“You are right, of course. However, you and I both know that the choice is yours.”

“*scoff* Some choice. You tell of a coming evil that will consume this world if I do nothing. Normally, I’d discard such a premonition from my mind as quickly as I felt it. Now... well, it’s not so simple anymore.”

“Nothing is simple when it comes to life-changing decisions, Bladewing. You should know this better than anyone else.”

“You got THAT right.” The look in Bladewing’s eyes turned from defensive to one of scorn. “Do you have any idea how heavy this decision weighs on me? I’m so close to finally having a solid grip on my life. If this evil you speak of is a genuine threat, then this quest you’re asking of me will surely throw it all back into disarray. I am NOT going to take on a task that will undo everything I’ve worked so hard to build. Especially if the one who’s giving it to me won’t even explain it.”

“I wish I could, Bladewing. Truly, I do. But the time is not yet right.”

“AND WHY THE BLOODY HELL IS IT NOT?!” Bladewing tried to be patient, but Faust’s response was the last straw. She stayed mum on the matter ever since their dream world encounter, and it slowly ate away at his opinion towards her. He just declared his genuine trust in the goddess, and yet still she refused to give him the answers he sought. Snapping at her was his only option for release... but after doing so, he quickly rued it. Angry as he was, he knew it wasn’t right. She never once yelled at him, and doing it to her made him feel unfair. The calm and gentle expression she still had on her face only made his regret sting even more.

“*sigh* Look... I don’t mean to say that you’re unreasonable. I’m sorry if my outburst made it seem otherwise but right now, I need answers and I need them now. I cannot accept anything you ask of me until I know what I’m getting myself into.”

“And you will. Just not now. You have not yet progressed far enough in your life.”

“And just how will I know when I have?”

“You won’t. You’ll just have to trust me, Bladewing. As I trust you.” This was it. Having heard what he heard just now, Bladewing could turn her down outright without a second thought – and no one, man or beast, would fault him for even a moment. After all, so few would travel a life road where all the forks had a high chance of requiring a leap of faith. Yet somehow, Bladewing couldn’t bring himself to do it. Was it reluctance? Pity? A fear of this alleged doom being even slightly possible? All were likely reasons but for better or for worse, Bladewing decided that it was time he obtained peace of mind at any cost... even one larger than the leap of faith he was about to make.

“*sigh*… All right. I’ll let you decide when it’s time for me to know more about this quest, but on one condition.”

“And that is?”

“I don’t want to hear about it ever again. I will not hesitate to risk my life for the greater good, but if you insist that this evil exists, then I want to see proof of it with my own eyes. Until then, I will hear no more of it. All I want is to live life as I see fit... and unless I have an irrefutable reason to put it on the line, I will not let anyone, even a goddess, throw it all into chaos.”

“Is that all?” Bladewing nodded his head lightly, a gesture to which Faust smiled warmly. “Very well, Bladewing. I will grant your request. However, while I will not condition you in turn for it, it will still come with a price. Ignoring the looming darkness will indeed make your happy times more so... but once you’ve come face-to-face with it, you will experience fear like you’ve never felt before. Can you bear this consequence?” Undaunted by her warning, Bladewing looked defiantly into her eyes.

“I’ll take my chances.”

“As pleases you. I will honor your choice and leave you be, Bladewing. However, if you so desire, I will answer at least one of your questions about your journey before I go. Consider it a parting gift from me.” As dismayed as Bladewing was that she will answer only one of his many questions about this mysterious quest, he appreciated that he was at least getting some closure from it.

“All right. Answer me this, then: how far along am I on this 'journey' you speak of?”

“*chuckle* You’ve only just started it.” Before Bladewing could speak further, a white aura began to rapidly engulf the alicorn, exploding within seconds into a blinding flash of light. Despite having anticipated this blinding phenomenon, he was unable to shield his eyes in time, and part of the flash managed to temporarily blind him. When his sight came to, all he could see in front of him was emptiness... or at least what would’ve been emptiness had it not been for a random box lying at his forehooves.

“Faust?” Bladewing’s attempt to reestablish contact was in vain as no response came. Even so, he looked around him just to be sure. Not a soul lay in sight. He then checked the image of the goddess in the stained-glass window only to find that it wasn’t glowing anymore. There was no doubt in his mind that he was alone once more. With that matter settled, he went to open the cardboard box and inspect whatever contents lay inside.

“What’s this?” Bladewing was surprised to find a sheathed sword lying within the box. The scabbard was old, apparently worn from having gone through times Bladewing could only imagine. Despite its archaic look, however, it was surprisingly intact... and from the dim light it was emitting, the blade it protected seemed to hold a mystic and possibly ancient power. Bladewing took hold of the hilt and pulled the sword out of the scabbard, marveling at the sight that literally glowed before him.

“Bloody hell.” The weapon that Bladewing held in his hoof was unlike any he had ever seen before. Though the blade itself was of traditional steel, its polished finish augmented the glow emerging from the runes that engraved its edges on either side. Two emeralds studded its intricately designed golden hilt – one in the left end and one in the right – and the bulb at the bottom end held a ruby bearing the royal crest. This crest glowed as the runes did, but it glowed red rather than blue, a phenomenon that Bladewing easily attributed to the ruby gemstone.

“It’s quite a nice sword,” he thought, “It must belong to the king if it bears that crest. But why would Faust just leave this thing here, and for what? Could it be this start to my journey she spoke of? *sigh* She just had to be stingy with her answers.” These questions floated ominously in his mind as Bladewing put the sword back in its scabbard and then into the box. He thought at first to try and locate Father Nexus, but he then remembered why it was a bad idea. Since no one else was around for him to talk to, he inevitably decided he’ll give it to Mountain Wind and sort it out with him tomorrow. Whatever the reason for the sword’s sudden appearance, one thing was certain to him as he carried the box home on foot: it was heavier than it looked.