• Published 8th Dec 2012
  • 5,088 Views, 52 Comments

Ascendancy: Fear - SeedOfEvil



Twilights fear will cause the rebirth and rise of Sombra once more.

  • ...
6
 52
 5,088

Ascendancy Through Fear

Chapter 6: Ascendancy Through Fear



Celestia woke as the sound waves of an explosion shook through walls of the Carousel Boutique. The Princess had been startled so badly that she'd almost retaliated by setting the bed she slept in on fire. Still half asleep, the Princess rushed to the nearby window. Outside, it was still to dark to see much of anything save for the faint glow of red and orange reflecting against a tower of billowing smoke. The column of smoke was gigantic, reaching nearly a mile into the air before spreading outwards to blot out a large portion of the starry sky.

Looking toward the source of the smoke, Celestia could easily tell the distance from where the explosion had occurred. Though Celestia had never memorized the layout of the small earth pony village, she could still easily tell where the smoke was coming from. The Ponyville library, Twilights home.

Celestia wasted no time to spring into action. She moved quickly over the bed rooms doorway only for it to be opened by another pony instead. Luna, also woken by the sound of events outside, stood in the door way of Celestia's room.

"It's Twilight sparkle isn't it? We knew we shouldn't have let her do this alone." Luna said to her older sister.

She was right. Luna had wanted her sister to be there when Twilight attempted to rid herself of he darkness in her mind. Twilight had already gone out of control twice, but Celestia still couldn't say no to letting her student do this on her own.

"Yes Luna, I know. But that is the past. We must now focus on the here and now. And right now, Twilight is probably creating a danger for herself and everypony in this town. If I don't stop her, she could end up killing somepony." Celestia said eagerly.

You mean 'We' sister." Luna interjected, "We are both going to help young Twilight."

"No Luna. As much as I desire your help, you are still too weak to even fly. Let alone stop a rampaging Twilight Sparkle."

"But sister I-..."

"Not another word. If you wish to help, then please gather Twilights friends and have them help you evacuate the area. I will handle Twilight."

Luna opened her mouth to argue, but quickly shut it again before nodding in obedience. Celestia was Right. Luna was still too weak to be of any help to her sister. Though her mane had begun to etherealize again, She was still no match for even a Timber wolf. Besides, arguing would not help the situation. Time was of the essence, and the two royal alicorns had no time to loose.

Without another word, Both Celestia and Luna Left the house to go their separate ways. Luna to Surgarcube Corner where Twilights friends were, and Celestia to the Library.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-




Of all the mistakes Celestia had made in her life, that one had to be the most idiotic. After leaving the Carousel Boutique, Celestia had decided to take to the skies in order to reach the Library on the other side of Ponyville. But what would have only been around a two minute flight had become a thirty second failure. The moment Celestia had flown into the smoke leading the Library, she began coughing violently until she was ultimately forced to land. Now short of breath and barley able to see from the burning of smoke in her eyes, Celestia made her way on hoof toward her student.

Normally a run through Ponyville would be no more than seven or eight minutes, but adding up the factors of blinding smoke, coughing lungs, and disorientation from inhaling large amounts of carbon dioxide, Celestia was taking nearly three times as long. All the while Celestia continued to send a message to any pony she saw to evacuate the area away from the smoke. By this time the streets were beginning to flood with dozens of ponies who had all woken to the loud explosion. Celestia saw Fathers and Mothers dragging there crying foals through the smoke covered streets as they attempted to evacuate.

Celestia stopped only twice in order to help extinguish a few rooftops that had caught fire from falling debris. But otherwise carried on. The whole time Celestia traveled however, she couldn't shake the feeling that this smoke seemed almost unnatural. Though she was sure that the explosion had been real, the resulting smoke did not seem to be from the fires. Normally, smoke simply lifted up and away from a fire. The smoke Celestia was now submerged however, seemed to purposely linger on the ground. Linger as if it was being told to stay low.

Not only did Celestia notice how unusually low the smoke was, she also took notice of a very strange occurrence of where the smoke was. The streets that Celestia ran down were indeed covered in a thick layer of smoke, but nearly all the alleyways she passed were nearly void of any smoke at all. Risking the loss of another minute, Celestia decided to turn off into one the adjacent alleys.

Just as she thought. Almost immediately after entering the alley, smoke quickly filed in after her. There was no doubt in Celestia's mind now. The smoke was being controlled. And its purpose, was to slow her down.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-


If Twilight was scarred before, now she was terrified. Not only was she alone with the pony she feared most in all of Equestria, but she was also at the mercy of his control. The alicorn amulet was locked tight around her neck. There would be no removing it unless King Sombra himself willed it. Worst still, even if Twilight wanted to use it, she would be unable to unless Sombra allowed her to do so. All Twilight had now was her regular magic and her mind. Both of which were severely handicapped in her state of anxiety.

"What do you mean you created it?", Twilight asked.

Sombra stared at her with a grim smile before answering.

"I mean just what I said. The amulet is my creation, and only I have the authority to control how it is used."

Twilight, finding a small drop of courage, took the moment to do the one thing she knew she shouldn't. She taunted the King.

"So what," she said with a slight grin, "It doesn't matter if I cant use the amulets power against you. I still have my own magic. And that is something you will never control!"

Twilight soon found her self on the ground once more. The dark king pressing her face against the ground with one of his armored hooves. He had moved so fast, Twilight didn't even have a chance to defend herself.

"Foalish girl. The amulet is far more impressive than just that. The magic you receive from wearing the amulet is only a taste of its true power.", Sombra pushed Twilight's face into the ground one more time before stepping off of her. As the king moved away a gleam of inspiration twinkled in his emerald eyes, "Perhaps, a demonstration is in order?"

Sombra's horn began glowing in a black aura as he focused on the spell he would show the terrified Twilight. Twilight looked down to the amulet around her neck to see it to was glowing in a similar aura.

"What are you doing?!" Twilight asked in terror.

In an instant, Sombra was once again right next to the lavender pony. This time he looked her directly in the eyes as his own face hung mere centimeters from Twilights.

"I'm doing what I do best my dear. Breaking you!"

At that moment, black tendrils of pure darkness shot forth from the amulet around Twilights neck. The tendril flew outward in a three foot radius before turning back toward the pony who bore them. One by one, the tendrils stabbed their way through Twilights back like knifes.

Twilight shrieked out in pain as each tendril wormed its way through her body just under her skin. Every movement they made inside her, Twilight felt it. She felt as one tendril forced its way into her chest cavity. Wrapping around her quick beating heart before tearing through her left lung. Another Tendril worked into Twilight right foreleg, snapping ligaments and blood vessels as it went like they were a child's toy while a third tendril crawled under the skin of Twilights face .Ripping open her cheeks and threatening to crush her eyes in their sockets. Several more tendrils simply kept a repeating motion of stabbing strait through Twilight's entire body before turning around and stabbing her again like a needle stitching cloth.

There was blood, more blood than Twilight even thought she had. Each new wound to her body sent pint after pint of life sustaining liquid flowing out of her body. Each stab to her body made Twilight cry out in agony until finally her lungs had been ripped into so many pieces, sound was impossible to make. Eventually Twilight just lay there. Writhing in pain as her fur was stained red by her own blood.

Sombra looked on at the sight he was seeing. It had been so long since he'd seen another pony bleed, he had forgotten the sheer pleasure he sought in it. The smell of blood in the air was intoxicating. So much so, he thought about impaling himself just to smell more of it. But time was of the essence, and young Twilight was on the verge of death. All of Sombra's efforts would be wasted if he allowed himself to let the unicorn die. Sombra focused his magic once more. This time, in a faint golden color.

The amulet around the blood soaked Twilight glowed in the same aura that now surrounded Sombra's horn. With one final push, Sombra's spell was released. Slowly, the amulet surrounded Twilight in an orb of golden light for several seconds, before fading away. With the blinding golden light gone, Twilight was able to see herself once more. She gasped in pure shock as she found herself standing once more. All the wounds that Twilight had received, all the blood that once stained the ground beneath her, all the pain she felt. It was gone. Twilight was completely healed.

Twilight looked back to the king. She couldn't understand. This was the second time that night that Sombra had healed her. The second time after he himself brought forth the injuries. Why would he nearly kill her, only to heal her back to full health? It was a question that Twilight soon found herself saying aloud.

"I don't get it.", she said,"Why don't you just kill me and get it over with? Why do you bring me near death if you're just going to heal me?"

Sombra moved closer to Twilight. Another grin forming from his mouth. "As I told you once before my dear. I need you for a very special task. I cant have you dying just yet. What you felt just now is what I like to call, a learning spell. Each time it is used, you will learn to be more obedient. To put things simply, You will do exactly as I say Twilight Sparkle, and if you should refuse....well...." Sombra's horn glowed black once more as tendrils shot forth briefly from the amulet before receding back inside once more. "You get the idea."

Twilight trembled in silence. Would he really do that again? Make her fall into the depths of agony just so that she'll obey? And for what purpose? What did Twilight have that Sombra didn't? Twilight couldn't take it. As strong as she was mentally, there was no way she would be able to keep her sanity if Sombra unleashed the spell again. Twilight was afraid. Afraid for Equestria's well being, afraid for her friends safety, but most of all, she was afraid of Sombra.

Sombra brought a hoof to hold up Twilight's head from below her chin, "So now. What will it be? Will you be good little pony, or will I have to break you further?"

Twilight said nothing. Could say nothing. All she could see before her were Sombra's red and emerald eyes glaring back at her. The very eyes that would threaten to drive her into madness.

Sombra waited for Twilights answer, but he was soon growing impatient. ."Hmm... Perhaps you require a different lesson.", he hissed menacingly.

Sombra made his horn glow black once more before unleashing his power upon the powerless Twilight for a second time. The tendrils burst forth from the amulet once more. But instead of cutting Twilight to pieces, they took to a different tactic. Slowly, they begin to swim through Twilight's fur coat until each was rooted tightly against Twilight's skull. One by one, the tendrils begin pulsating. Slowly at first, but gradually increasing in speed.

Twilight began screaming louder than she ever had in her entire life. She writhed violently on the ground as she did so. But Twilight Sparkle was not in pain. What made Twilight scream was not what was happening to her body, but what was happening to her mind.

Images of darkness and death swam through the currents of Twilight's mind. And what Twilight saw, made her want to end her own life right then and there. Twilight could do nothing but watch as the most horrible things filled herminds eye. She saw all of Ponyville ablaze in fire as ponies she knew fled from their homes. Their hair and skin on fire. Not only could Twilight see it, she could smell it. She could smell the flesh of burning ponies as it blackened and sloughed off their bodies in mess of blood and gore. Twilight saw a young foal crying for its already dead mother as timber-wolfs feasted upon its still living body. As much as Twilight tried to fight back the scene she was being shown, she couldn't shake them from her mind. The thoughts soon grew more gruesome. And more personal.

Twilight saw Rarity on the ground drenched in blood. A large gash ran up her stomach allowing her intestines to spill out in the dirt. Fluttershy was next to her. At least, some of her was. Twilight could clearly see Fluttershy's head, but the rest had been melted away by some kind of acid. Nothing remained of Fluttershy's body other than the eroded remains of her skeletal structure.

Pinkie Pie, a pony once so filled with joy and happiness, laid weeping as she sat beneath the blade of a guillotine just before it dropped, beheading her in an instant, before her head rolled across the ground. A a trail of blood leading back to her headless body.

Twilight tried to close her eyes. In her heart, she knew that none of this was real. In reality she was still writhing on the ground at King Sombra's hooves. But in her mind, everything Twilight saw was real. And it was happening right in front of her.

The images of death continued to flood the unicorns mind. Twilight saw Rainbow Dash falling from a red sky as she attempted to fight off some kind of winged demons that were pursuing her. Her wings were torn and bloodied. Rainbows left wing was missing an entire forth of its original length, having been bitten completely off by one of her pursuers. The blue feathers still hanging from its mouth. Rainbow Dash flapped her damaged wings helplessly as she fell. She spiraled out of control while falling for nearly twelve seconds before she hit the ground at nearly terminal velocity.Her skull practically exploding on impact with the hard rock below.

One by one, Twilight saw her each of her friends tortured and killed in gruesome ways. When all of her friends were killed the images would simply cycle back around and play again for Twilight to see. Each one fake. Each one an illusion. Yet each one seemed one-hundred percent real. Then as quickly as waking up from one of her nightmares, Twilight was brought back to reality.

Twilight woke from the illusions gasping for breath as tears flowed from her eyes. Each image of her dying friends was burned into her brain. Scenes she wouldn't be able to forget until the day she died.

"They seem so real don't they Twilight Sparkle?" Sombra spoke as he leaned over the sobbing Twilight, "Its the same spell that I used to create your nightmares. Only with that amulet, its effect is much more intense.", Sombra caressed Twilights cheek with his hoof before repeating his earlier question, "Will you follow my orders Twilight Sparkle?"

Twilight just lay on her side sobbing and breathing heavily as Sombra's armored hoof moved gingerly across her face. She couldn't fight him anymore. There was only one option left for her now.

"I will.... do whatever you say..." Twilight disdainfully answered.


A wide grin spread across Sombra's face.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-


When Princess Luna reached Sugar Cube corner, she found Twilights friends waiting for her outside. Luna figured that, like her, they were also awakened by the loud explosion and smoke that swept through Ponyville.

"Princess Luna!", Applejack exclaimed in worried egarness,"Whats going on!? Why are ya out of bed!?"

Luna held up a hoof to silence the concerned Applejack before speaking.

"Our well being is not in need of thous concern. We come to tell thee that something has happened at young Twilight Sparkles home.''

Rainbow Dash zoomed in between Luna and Applejack to speak, "Well than what the hay are we waiting for?! We gotta go help Twilight!"

"Calm thyself Rainbow Dash.", Luna continued, "Our sister is on route to Twilight as we speak, our job must be to help Ponyville's Townsfolk evacuate."

"Is the Ponyville in that much trouble?" Fluttershy asked.

"We do not know. But better safe than sorry as they say.", Luna replied.

With that the group sprang into action. Pinkie Pie and Applejack, being unable to fly, were put in charge of going door to door evacuating Ponyville's residents. Fluttershy and rainbow dash would fly just overhead so that everyone knew where to go, and where the smoke was less dense. Rarity had perhaps the hardest job of the group. Using her magic, Rarity sent several shinning flares into the sky at the edge of town to lure as many ponies as possible away from the source of the smoke. Unlike Twilight, Rarity was not used to continuously producing burst after burst of magic into a bright enough lights to pierce the blanket of smoke surrounding the town. The most she ever used her magic for was for levitating fabrics and small sewing tools.

Meanwhile Luna did her best to help out as well. Though her sister probably wouldn't have approved, Luna moved though the smoke covered streets trying to find some other source of the smoke. It seemed strange to her how so much smoke could be produced by a fire on the other end of town. Especially since the wind was currently blowing in the opposite direction that the smoke was traveling. In fact, it almost seemed like the smoke was following her. The best place to start looking seemed to be at the Library.


-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-


Murphy's law was out to get Celestia. From getting lost and disoriented in dense smoke. To struggling through clouds of scared and confused ponies as they tried to evacuate. Celestia was having nothing but bad luck. Everything that could go wrong, was. Celestia had run as fast as her legs would carry her, but by the time Celestia reached her destination it was almost dawn. They sky above the smoke cloud covering Ponyville was beginning to brighten and turn from black to blue as night progressed into day. At least her spell to keep the solar cycle moving without her intervention was staying active.In the end, Celestia had at last reached her destination. But what she saw there filled her with horror.

Entering the small square outside the Library, Celestia stared in shock at what she saw. The once great tree which held Ponyville's library was completely torn apart. Except for a couple of side of the trees trunk, there was nothing left standing. Piles of burning wood and ash were scattered across the entire area. Of the hundreds of books the library once held, Celestia could only see small burnt scraps of what she assumed were pages of books lucky enough to be indirectly shielded by their covers.

Walking among the debris and flames, Celestia desperately looked for her student. She lifted several branches with her magic. Hoping desperately that she wouldn't find her students corpse crushed beneath them. At least luck was on her side with that much. Celestia kept looking among the rubble. Sending out her magic like a sonar wave, Celestia tried to pinpoint Twilights location. Unfortunately, the thick layer of smoke in the area proved to be too thick for her spell to work efficiently. Never the less, she continued to channel her magic into the spell. She had to find Twilight. She had to find her soon before anything bad could happen to her.

Sending out several waves of magic proved to be quite effective. With wave after wave of her magic vibrating off the surfaces around her, Celestia could practically see everything around her from within her own mind. She wondered briefly to herself on why she hadn't thought of this while getting lost among the streets and buildings she passed trying to get here. Celestia had only time to store the thought away for later as she felt one of her waves of energy return to her. It was in this wave that she felt something. Two magic energies that did not belong to her, but other ponies. One was Twilight's and the other a magic that she hoped she was imagining.

Like a trained homing pigeon, Celestia headed toward the direction of where she felt Twilights magic. She sighed with relief that it wasn't coming from the torn remains of the library, but from just beyond it on the other side of the square where the smoke seemed to be less thick. She had to hurry. If her magic senses were correct, Twilight was in more danger now than she was if she were actually still inside her burning home.

Celestia saw what looked to be an unnatural clearing in the smoke, and inside it were the two forms of Twilight and another pony who she knew was responsible for this. Celestia for one was glad to see an end to the blinding smog that surrounded her. With a single flap of her white alicorn wings, Celestia shot herself into the clearing.


-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-


Despite having a few difficulties along the way, Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy had succeeded in evacuating nearly the entire town. Only a few still remained in inside, having volunteered to help anyone else who might still be lost in the smoke. And aside from a few cuts and bruises obtained in the chaos, everypony was uninjured.

With everyone safe and their job done, the five ponies were quick to debate on what to do next.

"Isn't it obviouse! We need to go help Twilight!" Rainbow dash said, "We cant just sit around here while she's still in there!"

"Rainbow Dash, the princess told us to stay here.", Applejack said, pointing toward the ground for emphasis, "I wanna help Twilight as much as you, but goin off blindly into that smoke again wont do anything but make more trouble."

"I agree with Applejack." Rarity concurred,"I think we should stay put and let Celestia handle Twilight. She is a Princess after all and Im sure she can handle it. Don't you two agree as well?"

Rarity looked toward Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. A look of undecidedness upon both their faces. Uncharacteristicly, Fluttershy was the first to speak.

"I,... I think we should go after Twilight," she squeaked" She's all alone in there after all. And...um...I agree with Rainbow Dash....if... that's okay..."

Rainbow Dash took that moment to confirm her opinion, "See? Even Fluttershy thinks we should go! Come on Pinkie! You're with me too aren't you?"

Pinkie held a hoof to her mouth as she pondered Rainbows question. She wanted to help Twilight, but she also didn't want to disobey Princess Luna's orders. There had to be a way to choose. Then it came to her.

"I know!", Pinkie reached her hoof into the hole of a nearby tree. After rooting around inside for a few seconds she pulled out revealing a six sided dice in her hoof. "I'll roll this dice! If it lands on and even number, we all stay! And if it lands on an odd number, we go help Twilight!"

The others looked at Pinkie. None of them could believe that she would actually put such an important decision up to the rolling of a dice.

"Pinkie dear, why do you keep dice in that tree?", Rarity asked.

"In case I have a dice emergency! Duh-uh!" she sang playfully.

Rainbow Dash simply smacked her own forehead with her hoof before responding, "Argh... Yeah... fine. Roll the dice Pinkie. Just do it quick!"

"Okey-dokey-lokey!" Pinkie said as she tossed the small cube into the air.

The dice landed quickly onto the ground. Rolling across its flat edges several times before stopping. Everyone gathered around to see which side had landed face up.

"Ah cant believe we're gonna take advice from a block of plastic.", Applejack said after seeing the cubes results.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-


"Twilight get down!", Celestia called as she shot out of the smoke.

The sun princess was no fool. Already she had prepared a flare spell to fire at King Sombra.She would not allow her enemy time to build a defense against her. Once she had her hooves planted firmly on the ground, she fired. A beam of white hot plasma shot forth at the Dark king. Its speed and velocity fueled by a deep rooted hatred for the king in Celestia's heart.

The blast made contact. A direct hit. But as the smoke cleared, Sombra still stood tall. Not even shaken by the spell that had exploded only inches from his body. In mere milliseconds, Sombra had not only raised a magic shield, but had also made one strong enough to nullify one of Celestia's strongest spells. At first, the king didn't even seem to acknowledge Celestia's presence. Only standing there as Twilight rushed to the Princesses side.

"Princess Celestia!", Twilight shouted. She ran to her mentor to embrace her in the way they would often greet each other, only to be stopped by Celestia's hoof held out in front of her.

"Do not let down your guard Twilight. This is not over yet.", Celestia looked back to the unmoved king. She couldn't believe that one of her most powerful abilities was just knocked away like it was a mosquito. Sombra had become more powerful since the last time she fought him. She would have to be careful. Especially since Luna was not here to aid her.

Twilight moved back to stand behind Celestia.

"Are you hurt Twilight?" she asked in concern.

"No", Twilight answered.

"I am glad for that", Celestia answered back, turning her attention back to Sombra.

Only after several moments did Sombra actually turn to face the Princess. His black mane flowing behind him as small fires illuminated him from behind.

"You're late Celestia." he began, "I didn't realize my smog spell would give you so much trouble. Perhaps it was too challenging for an old mare like yourself?"

Celestia snorted her nostrils at the insult. Though she was in-fact thousands of years old, it was still rather embarrassing for her to be considered such. Alicorn or not, she was still a mare, and disliked being called elderly.

"So I was correct. That smoke was following me. A spell you no doubt created to buy some time was it Sombra?"

"Come now Celestia. Cant I just have a little fun with my favorite princess?" he said innocently, "Why do you always think I have some kind of master plan up my sleeve?"

"Because you always do have a plan Sombra.", Celestia shot back," Since the day I met you, you've always been scheming to get what you want. The only question is, what is it you want this time?"

"What I want you ask?", Sombra smiled, "You appear to be confused my dear Celestia. For you see. What I want, and what I have are completely different concepts." Sombra looked toward Twilight who was still standing behind Celestia. All according to plan.

"What I wanted, is something that is already mine. Isn't that right, Twilight?"

Celestia's eyes shot wide as she looked back to her student standing behind her. Twilight stood behind Celestia, her horn overflowing with magic. The only thing Celestia had time to think about was how foolish she was to let her guard down for the pony who had spent an unknown about of time with the most corrupting unicorn ever born.

"I'm so sorry princess." Twilight said with tears streaming from her eyes.

"I'm sorry too," Celestia thought, "Sorry I couldn't protect you."

A blinding Light and a dull pain was all Celestia felt before she felt her consciousness fade away.


-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-


Princess Celestia lay passed out on the fire scorched earth in front of what was once the Ponyville library. The sun was just starting to peak over the horizon. Perfect timing in Sombra's opinion. Celestia would have been much more difficult to handle if the sun had been up. Twilight did played this role obediently, but there was still more to accomplish.

Twilight lay sobbing next to the princess.Her muzzle buried deep in her white coat. The alicorn amulet still clung around her neck. Celestia had been so preoccupied with Sombra that she didn't even notice the alicorn amulet around her own students neck. Sombra had counted on Celestia being distracted by himself. She was always so predictable.

However, now was not the time to celebrate. There was still more work to be done.

"Stand Twilight Sparkle." Sombra ordered her.

Twilight left the side of her mentor to stand before Sombra as ordered. She felt like a pet. Just some toy for Sombra to do with as he saw fit. But as painful as it was to attack the Princess, Twilight couldn't bear to face the horrors of punishment from her new Master. Twilight dried her tears, and spoke in the way she was instructed to.

"What do you desire my King?..." she said with cold monotone voice.

"I must prepare Celestia's body for transport. Be a good girl and keep Luna from interfering." Sombra said as he looked back at a nearby alleyway.

Luna's eyes shot wide. How did he know she was hiding here. She was sure she hadn't been noticed and yet, somehow, Sombra knew. Since there was no point in hiding now, Luna stepped out of the shadows and into the early morning sunlight. Twilight looked to the night princess. A deep shame filling her chest. Luna saw it. Watched as Twilight attacked her sister, yet Luna simply stood regal. Not a glimpse of emotion upon her face.

Luna looked to her fallen sister, Sombra, and then back to Twilight. "What is the meaning of this betrayal Twilight?" she asked calmly, "Why have you attacked our sister?"

Twilight could not answer her. She wanted to tell her everything, about the alicorn amulet and that she was being controlled. But the truth was, every action she took, was her choice. She could have chosen to suffer at the hands of Sombra's spell. Could have chosen to do nothing. But her fear and cowardliness had betrayed her. Whatever answer Twilight might have given was cut off as Sombra gave his order.

"Attack."

Twilight rushed Princess Luna.Twilight acted quickly and unhesitantly. Lest she be punished again by Sombra's magic. Using the magic of the alicorn amulet, she was able to cover the distance of twelve yards in less than it took her to blink her own eyes. Twilight focused her magic into a shell around her right hoof, making it as hard as steel before smashing it against the side of Luna's face.

Luna flew backwards upon impact. She was unprepared for such a fast attack and in her weakened state she hadn't the reflexes to dodge. But nopony could say she didn't learn. As Twilight was about to attack again, Luna teleported to the top of a nearby building that overlooked the battleground. Up close, she knew she didn't stand a chance. Her physical body was still to weak. Luna knew that if she wanted to last more than three minutes, she had to fight from a distance.

Luna focused her magic to her horn. As she released her spell, it split into two parts in the air. Each part forming a blue ethereal bow on both sides of Luna. She then spoke in the royal Canterlot voice.

" We do not know why thou are doing this Twilight. But we are sure thou is being manipulated. We would like to apologize for any injury you may receive."

With her apology finished, Luna was ready to begin. The ethereal bows moved on their own. Their strings pulled back as ethereal arrows took their place behind the strings. Before firing, Luna made a bright flash with her horn to blind the her opponents below. Simultaneously, the arrows fired. One headed for Twilight while the other was on target to Sombra. Both arrows shot with incredible speed. even in her weakened state, Luna was no pushover. She didn't fight to survive. She was fighting to win.

Twilight blocked her arrow with a basic shield spell. Though she couldn't see the arrow due to the light, she knew very well where it was headed. The trick was stopping the arrow targeting Sombra. Twilight was ordered to not let Luna interfere with Sombra's preparations. She didn't want to fail him and risk punishment. Using the power of the amulet, Twilight shot out a black tendril from her horn. The tendril shot out to intercept the arrow. Since the blinding light kept her from seeing the arrow, Twilight let the amulet act for her. Just as Twilight hypothesized, the tendril not only intercepted the arrow. It caught it.

Slinging back the tendril, Twilight threw the arrow back at Princess Luna, adding her own touch by setting the arrow aflame. Luna might have expected another shield, but to actually catch the arrow? "This Alicorn Amulet has more power than I thought"

Before the arrow could hit. Luna Teleported away. Narrowly avoiding the arrow. But Twilight was not yet finished. As Luna reappeared, Twilight met the princess in the exact spot she teleported to. Using the still extended tendril Twilight grabbed hold of Luna's exposed neck. The sudden force choking off her air supply made Luna gag. She scrapped at the tendril with her hooves in an attempt to free herself, only to be suddenly slammed against the ground. Luna felt one of her ribs crack as she was lifted once more to be slammed into the ground again. When Luna hit the ground again, she was able to lift her head just enough to see Twilights face. What Luna saw though, horrified her.

Twilight was smiling. She was... enjoying this fight. Enjoying the opportunity to cause Luna pain. And then in an instant, the smile was gone. Twilight came to her senses and held her head with a hoof. She looked as if her mind was in pain. Using the opportunity to escape, Luna unleashed several blade shard blasts from her horn. Several blue crescent shaped blasts shot out toward the base of the tendril where it connected with the amulet. The tendril holding Luna fell linp as it was cut into a hundred pieces, allowing Luna to retreat backwards to a safe distance.

Being lost for a thousand years, Luna didn't know much about the alicorn amulet. In fact, most considered the amulet to have been destroyed long ago when Sombra was defeated the first time. But Luna did know that the more magic a pony used from it, the more the amulet would corrupt them. And its effects were already starting to show on Twilight. Twilight Sparkle by herself was a challenge. With the amulet, she was a rival. But a corrupt Twilight was a nightmare. As informed as Luna was in the art of warfare. She was still no match to the intellect of Twilight Sparkle.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

While Luna fought with Twilight, King Sombra started his preparations for transporting Celestia's unconscious body. Of all the ponies that could pose a threat to his plans, Celestia was the most dangerous. This also, however, made her the most useful as well. There were many secrets locked inside this alicorn of the sun. Secrets that could give Sombra the power he needed to rule over all of Equestria. Sombra needed Celestia alive so he could do just that.

Transporting an alicorn was no easy feat. First and foremost, was the possibility of Celestia waking up. To ensure her capture Sombra bound the princesses hooves with the purest dark magic he could muster. Magic so dark and corrupted that even Celestia would be helpless to break free. Sombra tied the princesses front hoofs together with her hind hooves in a hogtied position as she lay on her side. The wings were another problem factor. So Sombra also tied them down to Celestia's sides with dark energy as well. Finally, to keep the princess from using her magic, Sombra cast a spell onto Celestia's razor sharp horn. As he did so, her horn became covered in what appeared to be black crystal. It was the very same spell that Sombra had used to keep Shinning Armor from using his own magic.

Preparations were almost complete. All he needed to do now was gather enough magic to teleport Celestia, Twilight, and himself to a safe location where he could hold the princess while he stripped her of the knowledge she so selfishly hid within her. This would take time. luckily, Twilight was more than capable to give him the time he required.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-


Luna dived to the ground just in time to dodge a spout of black mage fire. As her belly hit the ground, Luna fired of a blast of blue lightning at Twilight before jumping to her hooves once more to maintain the distance she needed to fight the friend before her. Twilight was not so easily moved however. Instead of dodging, Twilight simply cast a spell to change the polarity of electrons within her own body to match the charge of the lightning bolt.. As the lightning hit her, the bolt was repelled off of her. Simply gliding across Twilights chest before following her legs to the ground beneath her. Like a living lightning rod, Twilight had redirected the lightning into the ground.

Twilight did her best to maintain control of her sanity. Sombra had ordered her to attack, but that didn't mean she had to kill Luna. She did her best to make the fight as evenly matched as possible so that no victor could be decided. But as the amulet grew in power, her own will was beginning to waver. If this kept up for much longer, Twilight would lose control again. She couldn't let that happen. If she did, Luna would be done for.

"Princess Luna!", Twilight called out to the her, "Stop fighting me and run!"

Luna stopped only for a second to fire off an arrow from one of her ethereal bows which hung in the air next to her. Run? How could she just run?

"We will do no such thing Twilight Sparkle!" she proclaimed as she kept up the pressure of arrows, "We will not abandon thee to Sombra!"

"But you're in no condition to fight!" Twilight continued,"I'm purposely fighting on par so that I don't kill you! You haven't recovered enough strength to fight yet! Every second I spend fighting is another step to loosing my mind to this amulet! Please princess! I'm begging you!"

What Twilight said was true, and Luna knew it. At her full strength, Luna should be able to fire nearly twenty arrows without even stopping to think about it. In her current state, Luna was only able to use two. But she couldn't just give up. Not while her own sister was in danger.

"We will not run Twilight Sparkle. We will free you, and we will free my sister!"

At first Twilight did nothing. Then as a few seconds passed, her eyes flashed red before the vile grin returned to her face. "Then I'll make you stop. By breaking your legs!"

Twilight charge toward Luna with the intent to kill. Luna fired off a few arrows, only to have them disintegrate in the air as Twilight hit them with a wall of her own magic. Before Luna could react, Twilight had teleported directly in front of the princess. Three tendrils shot out from the amulet on Twilight's neck. Each one latched its self onto the princess. One wrapping itself around Luna's body while the other two tendrils grabbed hold of her legs.

In an instant, Luna was being lifted into the air by the unnatural appendages. Upside down, Luna screamed in agony as the tendrils pulled apart from each other. As one tendril pulled on her fore legs, the other tug back her hind legs in the opposite direction, threatening to tear Luna in Two.

"Hmm...", Twilight pondered out loud, "I wonder how much force it takes to break a pony's spine?"

"Ah-ahhhhgga!", Luna screamed as the tendrils bent her spine backwards. Luna tried to teleport away, but the pain made it too difficult to concentrate. She could hear the sound of her vertebra snapping as they one by one began to crack under the force bending them.

Twilight stood laughing as she tortured the Princess in front of her. Each scream was like music to her ears. Each tear shed, a reminder of her superior power over the alicorn. Everything was perfect. Everything felt right. Nothing could stop her.

"Twilight!"

Twilight shook from the influence of the alicorn amulet as she heard her name called. The next thing she knew, Twilight was tackled by a fast flying pegasus. Forcing her to release the princess from her grip. Twilight and the pegasus rolled together for a few feet before coming to a stop with Twilight pinned on her back while Rainbow Dash sat atop of her holding down Twilights forehooves with her own to keep her from moving.

"What do you think you're doing Twilight!?", Rainbow yelled not four inches from Twilights face. "Why are you attacking the Princess!?"

Twilight looked away from her friend above her. A feeling of guilt and regret in her heart.

"Im sorry Rainbow.", she said with tears welling in her eyes.,"But I don't have a choice."

Before Rainbow Dash could speak again, she was thrown off of Twilight like a rag doll, and slammed against the nearby wall of a building. Twilight stood up, her horn glowing as she pinned Rainbow to wall using her magic. Rainbow struggled against the magic that held her, but it was clear that she wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Twilight looked over at Princess Luna laying on the ground. Though Luna wasn't moving, Twilight could still see her breathing. She undoubtedly had a few torn muscle tendons but other than that, there were no life threatening injuries to the princess. She wouldn't be moving though anytime soon though.

Sombra was nearly complete with his preparations for transporting Celestia. Twilight only hoped that they would all be gone before her other friends showed up. Hurting them was the last thing she wanted. Unfortunately, Luck wasn't on Twilights side today.

Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy rounded the corner of a nearby building. Each of them stopping with a gasp at what they saw. Twilight holding Rainbow against a wall with her magic, Luna laying face down in the dirt, and of course they took in the sight of King Sombra himself as he stood over a defeated Celestia.

"Twilight?" Applejack began,"W-what are ya doin to Dash? Whats goin on?"

"Yeah!", Pinkie added, "Why are you hanging out here with king spooky hooves?!"

"And why on earth are you wearing the alicorn amulet?", Rarity questioned.

Twilight did nothing but continue to hold Rainbow against the wall as she remained silent. She looked each of her friends in the eyes. Each pair reflecting back feeling of concern for their friend. But Twilight wasn't their friend anymore. She was a puppet. A mere slave to the darkness she was too afraid to face. She was ashamed of herself. Ashamed that her best friends were seeing her like this. So she did the only thing she felt she could do. She hid her feelings from them.

Twilight threw Rainbow Dash from the wall to crash into her friends. As Rainbow landed all five were knocked off their hooves. Twilight stood before them. She hid away her emotions from her face, knowing they would only make this harder.

"If you don't want to get hurt. Take Rainbow and get as far away from here as possible." she coldly said. "I don't want to hurt you girls, but if you stay you'll leave me with no choice."

"Twilight, is something wrong? You can tell us. We're your friends." Fluttershy meekly asked.

Twilight stared coldly at the pink maned pegasus. "I am not your friend." she said, "At least, not anymore."

"What are you talking about Twilight? Of course you're our friend.", Pinkie said with a smile as she stood up."After everything we've been through, what else would you be?"

"She is my slave."

Sombra approached the group. Levitating a bound Celestia as he did so.

"Your Twilight has sworn her loyalty to me. She has attacked both Celestia and Luna in my name. And without question."

"That's a lie!", Applejack protested, "Our Twilight would never do such a thing!"

"Ah, but she's not your Twilight anymore. She is mine. Isn't that right Twilight?", Sombra said. Lifting Twilights chin with a hoof as he did so.

"Twilight? Are you..." Rarity began, unable to finish.

"Yes. King Sombra is my master. I have sworn my loyalties to him. And I will not allow anypony, not even my former friends from interfering with his plans." Twilight answered as she fought back the urge to weep. She couldn't cry. Not now. Not In front of the very ponies she betrayed. "The elements of harmony are dead. I'm sorry."

At that moment, the hearts of Twilights friends felt as if they had been hit with a thousand needles. And although the sun had risen, Each one of them felt as if the world was black as night.

"It is time Twilight." Sombra stated.

"Yes", Twilight answered back.

Sombra began the Teleportation spell.

"Despair Equestria! Despair In knowing that your strongest have fallen before me!", Sombra spoke in his own version of the royal Canterlot voice. The very sound of it seemed to fill every pony within a twenty mile radius with a great dread, "Today the Rule of your Princesses ends!..."

And as Sombra released his high powered teleportation spell, his voice seemed to echo into a whisper that flew for miles around. A whisper that filled all ponies with a deep fear of what would come to pass.


"And now My Rule, will begin...."


And with a final burst of magical light, Sombra, along with Twilight Sparkle and Princess Celestia, Vanished.

Author's Note:

Took me way too long to write this. And to be honest. I kind of rushed the last 1,000 words. Unfortunately, I only get to use a computer on the weekends because its my fathers, and he works out of town during the week. So all my writing is taken place on two days of the week. Long periods of nothing and then two days of writing isn't healthy for a story but its what I have to work with.

Also, If you are ever wondering about story updates, I typically write them in the comments.

I would also like to refer you to My absolute favorite fan fic of all time. If you like my story at all, you will fall in love with this one. A link will be posted below.

Its called the immortal game. And it is probably my favorite story of all time. Not fanfiction. Story. I rate it above most of the actual published books Ive ever read.

Like I said. Read 'The Immortal game' if you like my story. you'll probably never want to come back to mine if you do. lol.

But I dont plan on stopping my story anytime soon.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/1886/the-immortal-game