• Published 3rd Dec 2012
  • 1,592 Views, 20 Comments

The Mysterious Adventures of Mare-do-well - Commando-Scarecrow



In an epic tale of corruption and heroism, one mare stands above the rest as a symbol of hope.

  • ...
2
 20
 1,592

The Episode of the Hat

Braeburn walked down the cold winter streets of New Maredrid City. It was hard to believe that Hearths Warming day was only in two weeks. But there were other things on his mind. Things that he simply couldn't look himself in the mirror for doing. Even the small flurries of snow failed to lift his spirits.

Braeburn had broken down in the Echelon complex. He became weak and cracked under his loss like a foal. He felt the cold wind on his face and adjusted his long-coat accordingly. He couldn't stand to even look at himself. Rainbow Dash was right. He was weak.

It wasn't as though he felt it for no reason, however. His plan had nearly gotten the only two mares he'd ever really loved killed. If not for that one stroke of extreme luck, if not for that mercenary having a change of heart, they all would have been killed. Then he let his mind wonder to time he tried not to think about since he had gotten involved with Rainbow Dash. He let it wonder to the time he spent with Trixie back in his home town of Appleousa.

...

He first remembered the day she wondered into his little town. There were some apple rustlers that showed up and she showed stopped them, although nopony saw her. She just returned the apples as if it was nothing. The most vivid memory he had, though, was of her was leaving. They were sitting in an apple tree and watched the dusty sunset for the last time. "I still don't see why you hafta go, Trixie."

She only sighed as she gave him the real answer. She'd tried to tell him a few different reasons, but they were all fake. Some of them had been because she didn't like the dirt, and then another one had been because she didn't like the regional accent. One of the ones that was partially true was the insane amount of wheels vehicles they had there. Something about the spokes just made her... unnerved. But she could have even dealt with that if she wanted too. "Braeburn, I think it's time I told you the reason I'm leaving." He knew she was being serious because she wasn't calling herself Trixie. "The real reason, I mean."

He held her close to him up in the branches of the tree. "I'm all ears."

"I've done things, Braeburn." She stared coldly at the setting sun. "Good or bad or simply fraud, I've done all three." She sighed, then kept on. These truths were evident to her and she always did her best to hide then, but Braeburn was smarter than that. Besides, he deserved as much. "The people of this town might never trust me. That might not be so bad if I was the mare I used to be. But I'm not, and even after all these months, I'm still looked at with sideways glances and mistrust."

"But you're a hero, Trixie." He saw her put her mask on maybe the third week she was in town. He never said anything about it in the hopes that she would come clean on her own. "You saved the ponies of this town more times than I can count, Sugercube." His country drawl was comforting to her, but it just wouldn't work this time. Her mind was made up.

"So you knew?" She was actually surprised about this immensely. She thought she had been so careful about it.

"Yeah, I knew," Both of them hardly looked at each other. He knew arguing with her would be useless. It wasn’t because she really to leave him, but because he knew that the only way to get her to stay was to look into each other’s eyes. Which was why he she wasn't looking at him. If they looked into each other’s eyes, then she couldn't go through with it. "So this is it, Trixie?"

"It is," Trixie was afraid that the longer she spoke, the greater chance of her tears flooding her eyes was. "Braeburn, I want you to know that I will always be grateful for how you accepted me before anypony else. I regret nothing of the time we spent together." She kissed him lightly on the cheek. "Thank you."

"I'm sorry it's gotta be this way, Trixie." At the time, Braeburn had to be strong. If he showed too much weakness, it would force her to stay. He never forced anything on her if he could help it. "But at least..." Fighting the tears was fight he was almost losing. "At least we'll always have the apple orchard."

"Yeah," a faint smile appeared on her face. "You and Trixie will always have the apple orchard." They spent the rest of that night up in that tree, staring at the sunset and then the starry night. That night was the last time he ever saw her. She refused to say good-bye. She said it was because if you never say good-bye, it's like you never left. But it sure didn't feel that way. She left the very next morning and he didn't see her again until she arrived by chance in this city.

...

Braeburn drank deep of that memory, and then his thoughts went to Rainbow Dash. They'd met before, but they didn't really notice each other at all. It wasn't until the Apple Family reunion when they actually took real notice of each other. And what really made him notice her wasn't attractiveness, although she did have that in spades. It was her spirit. It was her never say die attitude that simply would not allow her to quit on the path of what or who she believed in. Walking down the sidewalk the whole time, he stopped and realized on what he did wrong. Rainbow Dash failed a thousand times and would likely fail a few thousand more, and she still wouldn't turn tail and run. And then he looked at himself. He was willing to back down after one loss. Well, maybe it was time he took things more seriously. At that moment, he swore he would be the stallion that she thought he could be.

He found himself reinvigorated as he ran back to his apartment. It was time he became the pony he showed himself as. Rainbow Dash might ask him why he didn't pick any groceries, but he could go back tomorrow, for right now, he had some loose ends to tie up.

He ran up five flights of stairs to his and her apartment door and barged in, scaring her as she was busy drinking something, although she would never admit it. "Braeburn? What are yo-" He cut her off abruptly with a deep and passionate kiss that lasted no shorter than seven seconds. "What was that for?"

"I'm back Dashie!" he declared triumphantly in his twang voice.

She gave him a suggestive grin and had a wily look in her eye to compliment it perfectly. "I can tell." She then pushed him on the couch and he proceeded to redeem himself for the cowardice he showed the other night.

15 minutes later

Applejack walked back up the stairs to her friend’s apartment. She'd forgotten her hat when she left, so she figured that she'd just walk back up to Rainbow Dash's place to get it. The door was unlocked, so she let herself right in. "Rainbow Dash?" she called out in her cowgirl accent. "Ah thank ah forgot my... SWEET APPLE ACRES! IT'S EVERY WHERE!"

"CLOSE THE DAMN DOOR, AJ!!!" Rainbow ordered her friend as she invaded her and Braeburns private time. The door was slammed shut and Applejack picked up her hat later.