• Published 28th Jan 2012
  • 3,121 Views, 31 Comments

Dear Princess Luna... - TheAceofClubs



Twilight Sparkle ponders to herself; what would've happened if Celestia had been banished instead?

  • ...
1
 31
 3,121

Prologue

The night in Equestria was young and the residents of Ponyville had settled to sleep, the daytime sun long since replaced by its twin. Silence reigned throughout the streets interrupted only by the occasional creature of the night calling to others of its kind. It would’ve seemed that the entirety of the town was in slumber; that is, if it wasn’t for the solitary light coming from a window in the library. It wasn’t unusual for Twilight Sparkle to forget her bedtime and continue her relentless research; in fact it was fairly average. Her young assistant, Spike, had long since given way to the call of his bed and only the sound of flicking pages could be heard.

“No...” Twilight muttered to herself in a frustrated tone, rereading the page she had just scanned for a third time just in case she had missed any information that could contribute to her already large selection of notes. The book had proved as useless as the last, which had in turn been likewise with its predecessor and so on; Twilight found it hard to believe that her library only contained a dozen books about the element of love. Twilight shook her head and pushed the tome aside and pulled the next in line in front of her without looking at it. She could feel bags forming under her eyes and she was starting to long for sleep. The young mare stared down at the book but found that the front was completely void of information; no title, no author, no images. Twilight sighed and stretched tiredly, letting a mighty yawn slip from her mouth.
“No!” Twilight told herself, shaking her head to wake herself up. “The princess will be expecting this report in by the end of the week; there’s not enough time to waste sleeping!” The unicorn put on a determined expression and opened the book to the first page with writing on it. The paper within was old and the ink was fading in places but it was in good enough a condition that Twilight could read the words. Dear Princess Luna... Twilight frowned and looked further down the page for an author; nothing. The title didn’t seem relevant to her research but she couldn’t resist the urge to see what the book contained and gently flicked the pages over until she got to the first full page.

~*~

The kingdom of Equestria had long been ruled by two sisters, Princess Luna and Princess Celestia. They had maintained peace and prosperity for decades under the loving watch of the sun, Celestia’s gift to the daytime, and the moon, Luna’s gift to the night. However, although they were many in years they were still young in heart and mind and they eventually began to break out in petty squabble. For as long as she could remember, Celestia had watched her little ponies work all day under her sun, before settling down to relax and take in the joys of life in the later hours by which time the sun has been replaced by Luna’s moon. Ponies would take advantage of the light to do their chores but once the light had faded they would play among one another, celebrate and generally enjoy themselves; young Celestia couldn’t help but feel betrayed by the lack of gratefulness that she was given compared to her younger sister and soon she started to voice the issue.

Princess Luna tried her best to calm her sister’s fury but soon it grew to a level that not even she could control. Her innermost power engulfed her, drawn forth by Celestia’s jealousy to create Dayflash. As Dayflash battled against Luna her power steadily engulfed the night sky, filling it with colour and light. Even during the midnight hours the sky was filled with colour, ignoring Luna’s moon’s call for darkness. As Dayflash’s power grew even further she revealed her true ambition; Equestria’s ascension to a higher plane controlled by her. Her ideals were beyond reason and maniacal and Luna, in her desperation to halt her insane sister’s plot, utilized the elements of harmony, defeated Dayflash and reluctantly banished her to the sun.

As time went on Luna began to control Celestia’s powers besides her own thus letting her return peace to Equestria as a solitary ruler. Happiness returned to the kingdom and life went on as usual. But Luna knew full well that her control over the elements of harmony was imperfect and the effect it had had on Dayflash would only be temporary instead of absolute; Princess Celestia would inevitably return to the world one day and Dayflash would be free once more.