• Published 30th Nov 2012
  • 1,583 Views, 52 Comments

Pink Heart - The Mirage



This girl... this girl was different. Bubbly would be an understatement, hyperactive is close.

  • ...
5
 52
 1,583

A Good Day...

The smell of the ocean was all too new to me, I had lived in the middle of the country practically my whole life and the sudden change was fairly jarring to my senses. I would be lying if I said I couldn’t smell salt no matter where I was in the city, but I would also be lying if I said being so close didn’t intensify the smell.

Look at me, being all philosophical now.

Who the hell am I with all these obscure phrases?

Still, salt fucking stinks. Especially when everyone on the sand was either some Food Network grill master prick or an asshole vendor that poured smoke into the air either way.

“Wow, it smells terrible here.” Pinkie said, making me remember that she was even here.

“Sounds great too.” I said sarcastically, listening to all the new-age music pounding through the air as people danced and moved to the beat.

“The music isn’t so bad, it adds a party feel to it!” She said, grabbing my wrist a dragging me onto the sand where we would meet my friends.

I didn’t mind being dragged at this point, it was just kind of something she tended to do. She wanted me everywhere she was so I didn’t miss any of her random antics. I was happy to be there, to say the least.

In the back of my mind, something was screaming at me to stop her and talk to her. But about what exactly? That I didn’t know.

There I go thinking again.

“Do you even know where you’re going?” I asked the girl before me, noticing that it was the third time we had passed Mr. Coolio and his orange and white Surfboard. People really tried to hard to be badasses these days.

“Nope!” She chirped, stopping immediately and not giving me any kind of warning.

Losing only about half of my momentum, I slammed into the girl and we tumbled to the ground.

With that amazing luck of mine, I ended up laying on top of the silent girl, my hands firmly planted into the sand as I stared into her sapphire blue eyes. Her breasts had just so happened to keep me from head-butting her.

She stared up at me as if she was expecting something, but said nothing. After my mind clicked back into place, I shot off of her, blushing like a schoolgirl as I practically shouted my apologies and tried to help her up.

She didn’t even take my hand as she sat up so stiffly she could have been made of wood. A smile still on her face.

“Are you alright?” I asked, holding my hand out but looking away in embarrassment.

“I’m fine, silly, sand isn’t exactly as hard as rock.” She said, taking my hand and hopping up.

Just as soon as I turned away to lead us in the correct direction, she grabbed the front collar of my shirt and pulled me so close we were practically touching noses, my blush returned to my face when she smiled innocently.

“I’ll get you back for that, Robby.” She said with an evil look in her eyes.

My heart skipped a beat when she snapped back into her normal self and grabbed my hand again. “You should probably lead the way now!” She smiled.

What.

What did she mean by that? Hell, did I even want to know what she had in store for me after what I did?

She obviously took it the wrong way, but how did she become so self conscious now than what she had showed the night before, hopping into my bed stark naked and snuggling up to me like I wouldn’t notice?

I wondered for a moment if I was in over my head with this girl, but quickly disregarded the idea, it’s not like she was some kind of alien. She was a normal girl just like any other.

Well, maybe not normal, she was funny enough to make Putin crack a smile, and happy enough to make Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh have joy.

There I go again with my obscurity.

It didn’t take long for me to notice that we had made it over to my group of friends and they were coming to greet me, I guessed I had noticed the subconsciously while I was thinking and decided to make my way towards them.

James and Conner were the first to come over, James was already eying Pinkie who stood proudly at my side, one of our towels tied around her neck like it was a cape as it comically flapped in the wind.

James was about the same height as Pinkie, which was significantly smaller than Conner or I. We both stood about the same height, but Conner still had a few inches on me. He had always been taller, even though I’d never admit it.

I looked over at James and Pinkie, they both stood about 5’7” to my 6’1” and Conner’s 6’4” it was hard to believe that we hadn’t seen each other in over three years, we all looked so similar to before.

“So, looks like we have a new addition.” James said, looking over at me with inquisitive eyes.

James was extremely hard to hate, and very easy to love, even though he made a few too many references to more personal things and said things most people would see as offensive without a second thought.

“It seems we do.” Pinkie said, crossing his arms and stepping in front of me to meet James’ eyes while mimicking his stance.

James smiled. “At least you found one with a sense of humor.” He said, looking over her head and winking at me.

I knew what he was thinking, and I was ready to shoot down his thoughts of our relationship but Conner quickly piped up.

“Oh, yes.” He said, smiling deviously. “This one will be assimilated quickly.” He joked.

“I don’t think you guys know what you’re dealing with.” I said, looking down at the top of Pinkie’s head.

The girl nodded quickly, smiling brightly.

These three would get along fine. Conner was witty and sarcastic, but Pinkie couldn’t be fazed easily. James was smart and careless, but Pinkie was random enough to give him a run for his money.

Now all I needed to keep her away from was-

“Hey, if it isn’t Bobby and his buttbuddy!” A voice shouted from the group of people Conner and James had come from. “Looks like the crew is back together again!”

Bobby, oh how I hated that God-Awful name. What asshole thought it was a good idea to get Bob from Robert in the first place?

“With a new addition.” James added with a frown.

“I don’t suppose you have any ladies waiting for you to come back, do you, Nathaniel?” Conner added, turning towards him as the older guy stalked towards us.

“I wouldn’t be bragging about your friends girlfriend just off the bat, Connie.” Nathan said, grinning like he had already won.

Nathan was the one person in our group of friends that I refused to get along with. He had started off nice enough, when we first met he just seemed like an extension of James’ personality, but quickly it came out that he usually meant what he said, and only looked to degrade people to see who they really were deep down.

He had gotten to me once, and I had to remove myself from the conversation before I broke his nose, that had been the last time we spoke up until now.

“I see you have matured a whole lot, Nathan.” I said, looking dead into his eyes as he stopped in front of me. This wasn’t going to end well unless one of us backed down quickly, and neither of us had any idea as to backing out.

“More than you, at least.” He quickly retorted, his grin widening. “I see you’ve picked up a new friend, where’d you meet her?”

“I hit her with a car.” I said blatantly, catching him off guard.

I grinned, he was just where I wanted him.

“I parked right over, there, would you like to come ‘meet’ me again?” I asked him, gesturing to my car.

He was at a loss for words so he shoved me backwards.

“Are you threatening me, you little punk?” He growled, pulling back his fist.

“Depends on how you take it.” I whipped back.

Before anything else was said, Pinkie suddenly appeared in front of me with a wide smile.

“Look, Robby, those people are selling snow cones!” She said, grabbing my clenched fist and dragging me away from what was soon to be a fight.

I was so surprised she stepped between us that I didn’t even speak until she suddenly stopped, turning around with a frustrated frown on her face.

“What is with you two? That isn’t how friends are supposed to treat each other!” She chirped, her cute voice making her anger almost seem like excitement.

I spoke in a low tone so she knew I was serious. “We aren’t friends, me and him don’t get along.”

Her expression didn’t even budge. “Why not?” She asked. “Everyone should be friends.”

This was a simple disliking of one another, not the difference between Chaos and World Peace.

“He doesn’t know when to stop running his mouth, Pinkie.” I said, calming down a little bit as I tried to concentrate on the girl in front of me instead of the guy who wanted to break my face. “He has an insulting sense of humor and I don’t like that, so we don’t get along.”

“Maybe I should just talk to him and he’ll say he’s sorry.” She said, looking behind my shoulder and taking a step.

I grabbed her arm and held her in place, looking straight into her eyes.

“No, the last thing I want is for you to get your feelings hurt by that guy.” I said, not really noticing how that sounded to the people around us.

She smiled and stopped, wrapping her arms around me in a hug. “Thank you, Robby, I care about you too.” She said, her voice muffled as she pressed her face into my shoulder.

We stayed like that for a few moments before I wrapped my arms around her too, shocked at what she said even though we had only met the day before. My feelings towards her kept surprising me as well, every time I went over what I had said I couldn’t find a hint of a lie inside of it, I cared about her and that was the truth.

She pulled away but kept her arms around my waist, looking up into my eyes with her own.

“Next time you should just go out and say it, okay?” She said.

I nodded, feeling my throat tighten at our small conversation. All the adrenaline I had worked up from my short argument with Nathan had disappeared like it had never happened.

Her face suddenly went serious, “I wasn’t lying about the snow cones though, I seriously want one.” She said.

I couldn’t help but laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation. It really was great to have such an amazing girl as a friend. Although I did wish I hadn’t met her in such an abrupt way as to hitting her with my car, but maybe that was the magic behind us meeting, such an odd way to meet for an odd couple.

My thoughts suddenly stopped.

“Couple?” I accidentally said aloud.

“Huh?” Pinkie turned around from licking her blue raspberry snow cone, her tongue still out of her mouth and on the icy treat.

“Your tongue is blue.” I chuckled, quickly changing the subject.

She tried to look at her own tongue, but soon found out that she couldn’t, still continuing to try anyways. The way she moved around so quickly as if to catch her tongue red-handed was one of the funniest things I had seen her do all day.

I leaned back on the bench we were sitting in and relaxed, closing my eyes and listening to the ocean and the girl beside me that continued to talk and question. This was what my mind was slowly starting to constantly think about, this girl and her only, her constant stream of words was more soothing than what I originally thought was annoying.

Well this is certainly a big step up.

But Pinkie Pie was just too good to let go. I no longer wanted her out of my hair like I had thought about before, I wanted her to stay my friend like everyone else.

“Thanks, Pinkie.” I said, looking over at the girl.

“For what?” She asked, throwing her used cone into a trash can that made a little thunk as it hit the empty bottom before she looked back at me.

I smiled, “For getting me out of that little argument and calming me down.”

“Of course, silly!” She laughed, leaning her head over onto my shoulder. “I wasn’t just going to stand around while you get upset, I like you when you’re happy!”

“It’s not exactly thrilling to see you mad at me, either.” I said, “Plus, I like me when I’m happy too.”

“That’s the spirit.” She said, moving closer to me.

It didn’t take long for me to drift off into sleep, even though the bench was very uncomfortable and the sun was quickly heating up, the presence beside me was so comforting it felt wrong to try and move away.


I woke up to the feeling of being poked in the face. When I opened my eyes, Conner stood in front of me, thankfully blocking the sun. Pinkie was no longer beside me.

“Hey dude, we got a bit of a problem.” He said, smiling like nothing was wrong. I had seen this Conner many times before, he was trying to sugarcoat something.

“What is it?” I asked, rubbing my eyes.

He scratched the back of his head and looked over to his right, where I followed his gaze.

This wasn’t a little problem, this was a very big problem.

Pinkie Pie and Nathan were staring at each other hard, the taller boy was grinning as he spoke down to her height, his arms crossed and his sporty sunglasses on, someone I assumed to be his girlfriend was trying to pull him away, but he resisted.

The second I saw tears in Pinkie’s eyes I stood right up, anger flaring up to my head and telling me exactly what I should do.

I stomped right over to them, my anger only building as I grew closer and saw just how bothered Pinkie Pie was.

“You try to act like nothing bothers you, but you can’t even take a joke!” He laughed.

“Th-that’s not a joke, that is just hateful!” She said, her voice cracking in the middle of her sentence.

Before he noticed me, I snatched the glasses off of his face and threw them to the ground, smashing them with my foot before looking back into his eyes.

“If it isn’t Superman, coming to save the day!”

Before he could continue, I shoved him backwards, using enough force so he fell back into the sand.

“I’ll be damned if I’d let you talk to me that way, let alone her, you self-righteous prick!” I growled, waiting for him to stand back up.

“You think just because you’re taller than me you are stronger than me?” He shouted, grabbing me by my collar and lifting me up.

Just as soon as this happened, Conner came out of nowhere and slammed his fist into the side of Nathan’s face, knocking him to the ground and making him let go of me.

“Let’s just cut the beach party short and go back to the house.” James said, jumping between Conner and Nathan before the show could go on, he looked over at Pinkie and I. “Yeah?”

“Yeah.” I said, grabbing Pinkie by the hand and pulling her away from the scene and towards the car, which she quickly and quietly got into.

I watched James pull Conner away from the scene and back to his car, a black 2013 Ford Mustang, before getting into my own car to hopefully talk to Pinkie.

“What happened there?” I asked, starting my car and backing out of the parking lot, following Conner’s erratic and angry driving as he tore out onto the road.

Pinkie sniffled, making me wish I had hit the bastard.

“Why is he so mean?” She asked.

“Because he doesn’t know how to be a good person.” I said, gritting my teeth.

She leaned over and hugged me, which I half returned, making sure to keep my eyes on the road and at least one hand on the steering wheel.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there sooner.” I said as she let go.

I sped up to keep up with the speeding driver in front of me, who was completely disregarding the speed limit of forty-five and going a solid sixty.

“He just kind of, started being mean out of nowhere, I was trying to get to know everyone and he just came up to me.” She explained, “I know you said to stay away from him, but I didn’t know where to go.”

“Why didn’t you wake me up?” I questioned, looking down at the speedometer, which was clocked in at sixty-five now.

“Because you’re grumpy when you wake up, she said, crossing her arms and puffing out her cheeks.

I lightly laughed, but I quickly picked up my phone and called Conner, trying to stay on the road without blowing up the much older car.

“What?!” He shouted over the phone.

“You really need to calm the hell down, dude, we’re going twenty over the speed limit and one of us is going to go off the fucking road.” I said.

“Don’t tell me how to drive, I know what I’m doing.” He retorted.

I sighed, “I realize you’re pissed off dude, but I’m sure James is pissing his pants by now, and I would really rather all of us get to the house in one piece.”

I looked over to Pinkie, who stared back.

“Fine, sorry.” He said, gradually slowing down to the speed limit.

After a few minutes and all conversation was gone, Pinkie spoke up.

“You really care about him, don’t you?” She asked, looking right at me.

I was kind of caught off guard by the question, but answered truthfully, nonetheless.

“Yeah, I do.” I said, looking over to meet her eyes. “He’s my friend.”

She said nothing else, but smiled and stared off out of the window calmly as we followed the Mustang in front of us to the house Pinkie and I had yet to see.

I looked down at my clock, it read 10:00 am, so I had slept for about an hour.

I found myself wishing that I hadn’t fallen asleep in the first place.

Even though the last part of the little beach party had been very displeasing, it was a relatively good day.

But seriously Nathan, go fuck yourself.

Author's Note:

Might as well come back to this because I've cleared everything off my plate after my Hiatus and have nothing to work on. If anyone is still reading this, I would love to see a comment to know what you think of it now that it has come back.

And don't worry, I don't plan on making this a short one.