• Published 4th Dec 2012
  • 1,051 Views, 23 Comments

Can She be Trusted? - Slender Dash



Luna has been troubled over her night one thousand years ago, which Celestia helps her to recall.

  • ...
4
 23
 1,051

The Story Continues

"Stop! I do not wish to heed another word," Luna cried, as her sister continued on with the story. She glared holes in the walls, sitting nervously.

"Luna, you know as well as I do there is no going back now," Celestia said sympathetically. She walked around the room for a bit until her sister was ready to hear more.

"Let us continue," Luna said curtly.







I flew over quickly and saw you...changing. Morphing, more like. It was unearthly. Your legs went stiff and rigid, the bottom of your hooves facing the stage below. Your body was shuddering, like a fall leaf struggling to keep its grip on the tree in a strong wind. Tears started dripping form your eyes again, releasing sadness and sorrow. But most of all, anger. I could feel the dense rage rolling off you in waves.

The tips of your hooves started glowing in a bright blur light. The wave started slowly traveling up your legs, leaving jet black fur behind. Then you turned your eyes to me, and stared in dismay and wailing, burning anger.

"You said it would make it all better," you whispered softly to me, as the wave started reaching your belly. "You did this to me."

As the wave traveled up your torso, it unraveled teal and purple, shining armor that was made like a saddle. You closed your beautiful blue eyes and squeezed them shut as the energy coursing through your body turned your sky blue mane and tail into a floating, swirling mass of blue light dotted with blazing stars. It throbbed with energy, and swished around violently. Then the wave placed a matching turquoise-violet head piece on you, and you wore it like a twisted, horrible crown. You slowly opened your eyes, only for me to gasp as the appeared as the same dark colors as your new armor.

You turned towards me, and roared. "YOU DID THIS!" You lunged forward with a beat of your wings, your newfound fangs extended for my throat. I dodged to the side quickly, and rose up above you.

"Luna," I shouted, "What are you doing?" You looked up at me in confusion, with your old blue eyes staring at me with a deep sadness that made me want to curl up and cry. You blinked once more, and those wretched dark eyes were back, with nothing but the dagger-ed glare of an angry soul. You whorled around quickly, and shot off towards the fleeing ponies, howling with rage as they swarmed away from you.

I held my position for a moment, dumbfounded and incredibly hurt. I could tell you were extremely angry and upset, but this was a completely new experience. Your anger had been so great, it had manifested as its own ragging spirit and had taken you over. I saw in those sad, scared eyes in that split second they had changed back, and I knew you were still trapped inside. You hadn't known this would happen, that it would get this out of control.


Luna sat on the bed, crying silently as the tears slipped down her face. Her small intakes of breath were hardly audible, and she was bent over, her hooves over her eyes. Her normal, wonderful eyes. Celestia scooted closer and opened a wing, enveloping her sister in a white, feathery hug as she cried.

"Maybe we've had enough for the day," Celestia suggested gently. "We'll pick up the story again tomorrow."

"No," Luna quivered," We need to finish this now," Gulping down the rest of her tears, she blinked her eyes a few times and stared blankly back at her sister. She was ready to hear the rest now, and she wanted no delay from Celestia to tell it to her.


I let one tear fall from my face, down onto the gardens below, when I thrust my wings and rapidly flew towards the palace. I stooped in through my window, landed ungraciously, and picked up running as my hooves touched the ground.

I ran to the Armory, and levitated the finest armor designed for me onto my body. It fit quite snug, and I lowered a helmet onto my head as well. The armor was golden, reinforced with steel and trimmed with a metallic purple. I tightened the saddle straps to keep it from falling off, and I rushed to the Canterlot Archives.

I loaded up on fighting spells, refreshing the memories of others, and quickly teaching myself to cast a wide variety of beams and force fields. I flipped quickly through books, ganging as much knowledge as I could in the short time available. Soon I was rushing down the hall again, not bothering to look at anypony staring at me.

"Princess?" called a voice I had left behind a matter of seconds ago. "What are you doing?"

"No time, Shining Armor!" I yelled back as my writhing mane whipped around my face. I dashed down hallways, almost crashing into everyone that turned a corner before I either side-stepped or leapt out of the way.

I kept running until I reached a sealed hallway, and came to a stop before it. I let my magic flow out and reach for the lock that only opens with a special spell. I sighed as the door swung open, and I ran inside. I swiped a few hidden items, and dashed out of the room again before the alarm sounded.

It did. I guess that's what happens when the most valuable items in Equestria have been stolen. I belt away from the "crime-scene," and got into another hallway before the Royal Guard went rushing past me towards the gaping doors.

I spotted an open window, and hurtled towards it. My legs were beating as fast as my heart now, and I took another few steps before I leaped out of the window, my wings snapping open and catching the cool night air.

I pumped my wings furiously in the direction you-or, not you- had gone, and I was thinking out different plans in my head. How could I save you without hurting you? If you were trapped inside of that thing, was it even possible to get you out? Will all of my experience be enough? What if you hurt someone?

The air rushed out of me in a sound described as a deflating balloon as I tumbled through the air and crashed on the ground. I slowly lifted my head, and made out the black mare resting down on the ground before me. Temporarily unable to move, I scrabbled for air as you stalked over with a sinister laugh.

"Celestia, ruler of the Sun. Well, sister, it's too bad that the night will be forever now." You through back your head and gave a vicious laugh, and then trained your eyes on me once more. "I, Nightmare Moon, have deemed you unworthy of the throne." You smiled with sharp, white fangs, and your eyes sparkled at the joy of seeing me on the earth beneath you.

This had confirmed one thing- you were not my sister. Deep down inside, were there, struggling feebly to regain control as it sapped your energy. This was an entirely different being, one who came only to bring harm.

I sucked in a breath, and spoke boldly, "You are not welcome here. Let my sister go, and leave."

I stared with growing doubt as you reared up and laughed, kicking at he air with your hooves as you struggled to sustain enough air to keep laughing. Your hooves reached the ground again, and you chuckled, "Your sister created me. I cannot leave. And there is no. Getting. Her. Back. Her spirit is almost dead anyway, and it would take a thousand YEARS for me to run out of her energy. I'll tell you, your sister is quite the power. Lots of energy to go around."

"Please, just don't hurt her..." I said pleadingly as I gazed into your- I mean her, or whatever- eyes, and I got only treacherous glee in return. A huge, evil smile was spread across your face as you stared down at the seemingly helpless Ruler of Equestria below you. You chuckled again and leapt up into the air flying swiftly away.

I jumped to my feet just as quickly, and mustered up the strength to put forth a truly powerful spell. The solar ray of magic burst forth from my horn uncontrollably, catching up to you in mere seconds. The blast hit your wing full on and you spiraled downward, before catching yourself unsteadily in the air. You winced with every flap of your injured wing, and send me a hateful grimace in return for the unwanted gift.

I am in the air by now, staring you down with burning eyes. The battle will start soon. Very soon. Actually, it started so soon that I barely managed to dodge a dark beam of incredibly powerful magic. This energy was either a match to my own or even surpassing it a bit. Good thing I had brought a back-up.

I pushed my wings down and tilted up, rapidly gaining altitude. You began to race after me, chasing me on my path to the sky. I propelled myself faster, gaining speed, and slowly leaving you behind. When I went the highest I could in the sky, you were about a mile below me, rapidly getting closer. I blink, and you've covered almost half the distance. I concentrate hard, remembering, then let out a shot of magic.

The magic hits you square in the chest, and you are knocked off balance for a little bit. Then, an energy net burst out from the point on your chest, materialized into a sturdy net in the air, and weaved its way around you. Your legs flailed in the net, and you started to fall. I began charging my energy for another attack- when you busted out of the net.

I shot the magic and you rolled swiftly out of the way. You spiraled upwards when you came out of your turn, getting above my head as I tipped up to fly. You flew a wide circle in the air-and ended up staring me in the face, magic ready to deliver a hefty blow.

I dropped quickly, snapping my wings shut and dropping like a stone. Your attack singed the flowing hairs above my head as I fell. Then you dipped straight down and sped after me.

I flung my wings open to stop my fall immediately. They almost got pulled out of their sockets. They protested in pain as i didn't bother to take a break for them to heal a bit. Instead I shot off to the side, heading away from Canterlot. I didn't want to cause any casualties.

I kept flying, my wings slowing slightly as I flew. I didn't know how far I had flown, I only knew that you had disappeared behind me. I guess you hadn't followed me here. I crawled to a stop in the air to catch my breath. I stared over the shadowy landscape of the night. Normally I would find it pretty, but tonight I see what every pony else sees- a dark, scary place waiting to swallow you up.

I gave a yelp of pain as your hoof slammed down on my arm, popping it out of its socket. I struggled away from you, turning to face your direction as I stopped. I placed a hoof on my shoulder, trying to keep it from moving. You stared at me with hatred, and I stared back with pity. Not for the beast that was now you- for the real you inside.

You flung yourself at me, shrieking with rage as to swing down your hoof to catch my spine. I dodged out of the way, giving a cry of pain as my shoulder jostled around. I sucked in a huge breath, counted to three- and gave a huge shove up my arm.

I screamed as my arm gave a sickening pop, but instantly the pain started to ebb away. I sighed as I was filled with sweet relief, only to get hit on the side. I spun around half way and bolted in the other direction, only to get stopped by jarring pain to my neck. I cracked, and felt a little better after wards, but not good enough. I turned and swung an outstretched hoof at you. Unexpecting it, you backpedaled in the air, but my hoof met with your wing and wrenched the muscles out of place. You gave a roar of agony as you dropped from the sky.

I folded my wings and dived, following after you. I couldn't let you yeah the ground- my sister inside would get hurt as well. About one thousand feet above the ground, I grabbed onto you and beat my wings as hard as I could. I couldn't stand the weight of myself and an extra, full-sized mare. Though we slowed considerably, we still landed in a painful pile of wings and legs.

I picked myself up, charging my mana, watching you shakily get to your feet. I watched silently as you laughed, or coughed, or whatever that was. You gave a small half smile, and I let the stored magic loose. I stared as a dark cloud enveloped your body, then wished away as soon as the attack was finished, leaving you unharmed.

"You'll never defeat me," you taunted, with your wing still flopped out awkwardly on your side. "And I thought the sun would shine forever." With that thinly veiled insult, I launched myself forward, pumping my wings for extra speed and distance. I slammed my hoof into your side, and planted both front hooves on the ground. I spun in a half circle and instantly leaned down towards the ground. I pushed up with all my might, resulting in a hefty double buck. You yelped as the blow landed on your arm, and toppled to the ground, your bone snapped.

Tears started to flow freely from my eyes. My sister. My poor, poor sister, trapped inside this being of rage and hate. I did that to her. I just disabled her wing and snapped her leg. I thought you must be screaming on the inside, begging me to stop. But I couldn't, not if Equestria were to survive.

I calmly stepped back as you fought back tears, even managed to get on your feet. Your eyes were crazed, your wing layer uselessly on your side, and your arm was pressed protectively against your body. You snarled as I closed my eyes, and I levitated the stolen objects out of my pocket. Your anger melted into fear as you realized what I had brought. You began to whimper like an animal, one only aware of its injuries and its danger.

I opened my eyes to the five Elements of Harmony, cradled softly in my magic's glow. I arranged them into a small circle, and tipped my horn to start. My magic began, and a fuzzy white light glowed from the end of my horn. I placed the magic between all of the elements, and concentrated. I was almost about to give up when the gems gave a flash of energy, then hummed with life as the spark reached the core of the gems. I lifted them off the ground, and in my posse ion, I felt their energy coursing through me.

Using the Royal Canterlot voice, I spoke out.

"For threatening the land of Equestria, meaning to place the land in eternal darkness, causing chaos and harming my littles ponies, you punishment will be severe."I shouted with such force, I couldn't believe I had that much energy to muster. YOu began to shake violently, terrified of what was to come. And I remembered about what she had said. What she had said about she could run off your power one thousand years.

"As punishment, you will be banished to where no pony will ever reach you," I decreed. Then I whispered, "The moon."

The elements began to spin, weaving a beam of magic the color of rainbows into the sky. You began to yell as the magic crashed over you, slowly sucking you up and wrapping you in the magic. I watched for a few seconds, and when the magic unveiled- you were gone.