• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 2,220 Views, 27 Comments

Monster of Everfree Forest - Drax99



Lyra screws up a spell. Yes, Lyra. Things go wrong as she summons a horrible monster.

  • ...
5
 27
 2,220

Prologue

As a violet glow carried a large, heavy tome across the room to the waiting mint-green unicorn, the lavender librarian looked at the cover with a concerned look on her face.

“Ahh, Lyra? While I am happy to see you finally taking a serious interest in your unicorn training, don't you think that advanced summoning theory is a bit... advanced for a starting lesson?” The massive, Pinkie-sized grin she received only served to creep her out even more as she levitated several similar books from their resting places among the shelves. “I know you have an amazing talent at object manipulation, and music, but this is an entirely different field of study. Even I have trouble with these spells!”

“Oh, don't worry Twilight! I’ve always been a quick study. I graduated from the Canterlot School of Arts as it’s youngest alumni, at the top of my class. The only other pony to ever do that was an earth pony that played the cello.” Nodding enthusiastically, Lyra gripped the books with her own magic and quickly stashed them in her saddle bags.

“Yes, well. I’m just glad to see that you are giving up on all those old legends and fairytales you are always reading. That stuff is for little foals. Some real scientific study will serve you alot better than a bunch of old mare’s tales.” Twilight sniffed as she turned to gather another book from her collection. She failed to see the smile wilt behind her back at the mention of Lyra’s little obsession.

“Yea, heh heh. That stuff.” A bitter chuckle escaped the green mare. “I guess we all have to grow up sometime. Put away foalish things and all that.” She ended on a bitter note, looking down at her hooves. Her lifelong pursuit of her dream was always something that got her teased, but she knew she was right! Humans DID exist! She looked up just in time to plaster her smile back into place before the librarian turned around with the last book.

“Well that’s the last of them. Pretty heavy stuff, if I do say myself.” The lavender mare floated the last book into the telekinetic grasp of her friend. “If you need any help studying those, feel free to stop by. I’d be happy to help, or give you some lessons. I still suggest starting with the basics though, even of you learned them in magic kindergarten. A refresher never hurt.

“Yea, um. Sure thing Twilight!” Lyra chuckled nervously. I know just the pony to ask if I run into trouble. Umm, thanks again!”

“No problem, Lyra. I’ve actually been rather bored lately, since getting back from the Crystal Empire, and have been thinking about doing some tutoring for some of the unicorns in Ponyville. Miss Cheerilee really likes the idea, since she can’t teach much magic herself. It’d be nice to have another hoof with the foals, and you can learn while we teach!”

The idea of teaching foals made Lyra shudder. Untrained magic users could be dangerous. She set her own share of fires and explosions as a filly growing up. Thank Celestia she was accepted into advanced arts school and learned to better control her blossoming skills. Before she turned anypony into a piece of furniture that is.

“Umm, yea. I’ll, ahh... think about it. Kaythanksgottago!” and she bolted out the door and into the darkening evening.

Lyra quickly made her way home, and began to study. Most of the stuff was way over her head, but Twilight wasn't the only prodigy in Ponyville. What she lacked in raw power, she made up for with a quick wit and finesse. It took a disciplined mind to play music the way she did, and she applied that mind to quickly devouring the material. She had to hurry, since Bon Bon would be back in just over a month. The big candy expo, combined with visiting relatives in Manehatten gave Lyra some time to put her plan into action, and she had to be quick to pull it off before her roommate's return.

Within a week, Lyra was practicing the runes and incantations needed for the rituals. Two weeks and she was making small breakthroughs; summoning small objects like coins and gems. By the third week and she managed to summon a small bunny. It was the most adorable white rabbit she had ever seen, and she felt a strangely maternal urge to cuddle it. She then was able to practice her banishment spell when the bunny opened a mouth full of fangs and lunged for her throat. Thankfully she had read the proper books on protective wards. That was no ordinary rabbit, that was for sure. At least she didn't have to use the Holy Water Balloon that Pinkie Pie had given her.

Finally, after a month of intense study and practice, she was confident of her skills to put her plan into action. It was two days before Bon Bon would arrive, and she had one shot at getting this right. An entire day was spent in a small clearing just inside the edges of the Everfree Forest, clearing the area and preparing her wards. Since nopony would dare come into the forest, and she was safe from prying eyes. All the runes and wards were in place, and the reagents placed in bowls in the proper locations around the summoning circle. She checked and double checked every line in the complex grid, and was glad she had bribed the local weather pony to keep the area clear and windless for the ritual. A fallen twig in the wrong place would spell disaster, but she couldn't afford to try this indoors where she may be spied on. Finally, with a sigh of relief, she placed the last object inside the circle, a pair of clay hands, modeled after Twilight’s dragon assistant’s claws. She was ready to begin.

Closing her eyes, she began to channel the spell. She had actually taken Twilight up on her offer of a few lessons, and she learned a bit about channeling magic from her environment, to augment her own power. The Everfree was undeniably a focus of massive chaotic energy, which could be channeled by unicorns. Most did not dare for fear of the corrupting influence of the chaotic forest, but she was not strong enough to perform such a spell unaided. She felt the power flowing towards her and focusing on the tip of her horn, as an aura began to form around it. A violent wind began to blow around the clearing, seeming to be stopped by the wards, forming a bubble of calm air in the center. As the light from her horn grew bright enough that it was painful through her closed eyelids, she felt one last push of energy snap from her horn, and leap to the clay hands in the center of the ring. With a loud static crack, the wind stopped and the magic released all at once. She collapsed to the ground, wind was knocked out of her, and she felt her consciousness dim after the release of so much power.

After a moment of weakness, she surged back to her feet, quickly checking the defensive wards were still in place. Only after she was sure of her own safety, did she dare to look to the center of the summoning area, gasping at what she saw there. It was pale, like her marefriend, but shaped nothing like a pony, while Reddish fur topped its head, and sprouted sparsely in other places, but otherwise it seemed to be totally bare. She had read that these creatures often wore clothes, but the summoning spell had a hard time bringing both living and inorganic matter through intact. She had erred on the side of caution and modified the spell to only bring something living. For a moment, she thought she had messed up, because the creature wasn't moving at all.

Oh, dear Celestia, she had killed it! Her first contact with a mythical human, and she had killed it with her magic! Quickly she ran towards it, giving it a cursory inspection. Two legs, two arms, like a minotaur. Hands! Yes, holy Luna on a stick, it had HANDS! And feet, and toes, and fingers, and... Hello? Well it appeared that “it” was a “he”. A wicked grin crossed her face as she noticed that not-so-little difference, then she sighed, remembering her marefriend would be back soon. Suddenly she remembered her panic, and placed an ear to the creature’s chest, listening for signs of life. Her grin returned and she let loose a little squee as she heard a heartbeat, and ragged breathing. She saw the chest rising and falling slowly, confirming life was still present in the creature’s frame. No, not creature. The HUMAN!

Happily bouncing up and down in excitement, she began to cackle. She did it! She summoned a human! After all the years of ridicule and embarrassment, she had proof that they existed. Even her special somepony, Bon Bon would finally have to admit that the years of putting up with the other mare’s weird habits actually had an outcome. Lyra could finally learn all about chairs, walking on two legs, and HANDS! Wonderful, beautiful hands! Oh, and feet, don't forget feet. She knelt down to nuzzle the little nubs on the end of the appendages, so much like fingers, but strange and new. She let loose a little sneeze at the smell, wrinkling her muzzle. Ok, mebbe feet weren't as cool as hands.

Finally calming down from her little joygasm enough to take stock of her situation, she realized that the human was still fast asleep. She poked him with a hoof in the side, eliciting a grunt in response. She tried tickling his face with her tail, only to get it batted aside by a hand. A small thrill ran through her as she imagined that hand grabbing her tail and giving a tug. All sort of naughty thoughts followed; every one of them involving hands. She gave another squee of pleasure at the thought.

After still failing to get him to awake, she remembered one of the fairytales of humans and sleeping princesses. Slowly, she bent down and very gently placed her lips on the face of the creature, blushing as she very tenderly kissed him awake. She was about to give up, sighing sadly, when she felt something lodge itself in her mane, while her head was pulled back down. Her muzzle smashed against the furless mouth of the human, and her gasp allowed his tongue to enter unbidden. Her shock dissolved into pleasure as she leaned into the kiss, letting her own tongue caress and explore the inner lining of the creature’s mouth. She felt the jagged canines, sending a thrill of excitement through her at the danger she was in. This was no peaceful herbivore, this was a dangerous predator!

Her reverie was short lived, as the pressure on her head was released, and she pulled back, looking down at the strange creature from her childhood dreams with a besotted grin. His eyes slowly opened, just like in the old tales, and he smiled back tenderly. Then it all went wrong.

Suddenly his eyes flew fully open, and a look of horror overtook his face. He yelled out something unintelligible, and began scrambling away in confusion. More gibberish spewed forth, as Lyra backed away slowly in her own confusion. The creature was now yelling very heatedly, and pointing one of it’s fingers at her. She focused on the digit, then turned around to see what he was pointing at. Not seeing anything, she looked back to see him gaping open eyed at her, fear clear on his alien face, despite its strange appearance.

“Um, hello?” She tried to speak, but the sound of her voice seemed to trigger a new wave of agitated screaming and noise, as the creature babbled incoherently at her. She took a step forward, and he scrambled backwards on his hands and feet, getting away from her. Finally he stopped, blinking, before a massive grin appeared on his face. He started making more strange sounds, and it took a moment to realize he was laughing. Laughing at her. He made a dismissive gesture, and turned away, muttering to himself. Slowly he got to his feet, and started to stumble away, holding a hand to his head.

“Wait! I have so many questions! Don't go!” she trotted forward, not wanting him to leave, but he seemed to be ignoring her now as if she didn't exist. She ran forward, and looked for a tail to grab; a sure fire way to stop most ponies and get their attention. Not seeing anything she could use to grab hold, she stood on her hind legs and wrapped her hooves around him, forgetting for the moment that she could just as easily use her magic to pull him back. That got his attention.

Stopping stock still, the human slowly looked down at the hooves around his waist. He then turned around to look at the green pony trying to get his attention, all emotion frozen on his face as he studied her for a moment. Suddenly, he twitched, and started screaming. Pulling out of her embrace, he ran full speed into the undergrowth of the forest, yelling in fear as he disappeared into the coming gloom of late evening in the Everfree forest.

Staring dumbly at the retreating hindquarters of the strange creature she had summoned, Lyra fell back on her rump in shock. It took her several moment so process what had happened, before letting out a very long suffering sigh, “Well, that could have gone better.”