• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 5,365 Views, 69 Comments

Sweet N' Spicy - Shahrazad



Hearts and Hooves day is only three days away and some ponies need to find dates in time.

  • ...
10
 69
 5,365

Sweet N' Spicy Redux chapter 3

Written by: Shahrazad
Edited by: Conantheimp

Sweet N’ Spicy Redux: Chapter 3

~~~~~

Four weeks later...

He was flying. He loved flying, the wind rushing past, the sun at his back. The sun was ready to set and the light from Celestia’s star played across the horizon to paint the clouds red, purple, and gold. He kept turning his head this way and that trying to catch a whiff of... There it was again! To the right a bit? The scent was intoxicating. It was something like a cross between sugar and cinnamon. Just the smell of it was enough to make him content. He wanted to smell that scent again, more than he wanted food, or water, or even to fly.

sniff

He caught a faint breeze and with it the smell of something spicy. He followed it like ancient sailors would follow the tradewinds. The scent was his north star. He landed on a small golden cloud. The ground was little more than a blurry green mass far below. The sun touched the horizon, or at least he thought it did. The mountains were just a dark blur in the distance. He set the six pack of hard cider down and waited. He somehow knew this was the right spot to be. He idly picked up one of the bottles of cider but couldn’t read the label, the letters were just a meaningless jumble.

A hoof traced around his withers and around his neck. His smile threatened to split his face. He turned around without breaking contact and looked into her face. She was just like he remembered. Her multicolored mane was windblown and a stray bang floated in front of her. He brushed it away and their eyes met fully. “Would you like something to drink?” He hoofed her a bottle of cider. They sat on the cloud and watched the sunset, drinking. Several minutes passed without words, but each could feel the other on the cloud.

The sun dipped behind the horizon. A freewheeling bird found them both lying side by side, each with an empty bottle of cider. Each had a second bottle half finished. He gazed at her while she just looked at the sunset. The viridian bird flit by behind her, little more than a blur against the sky. He couldn’t stop staring at her. He wanted to remember every detail of her, her scent, her hair, her wings, her eyes...her flank.

He smiled and spoke once he finished the second bottle, “You know, this cloud is magic.”

“Really? It feels like a regular cloud to me.” Her voice was a bit raspy, but he found he liked that about her too. She always spoke directly and didn’t mince words. It was refreshing. He filed her voice pattern away along with the rest of the details.

“Yeah, legend has it this is the first cloud pegasi ever made in Equestria. They say it’s magic, that it can bring out the best in a pony.” He leaned closer so they were face to face, their lips almost touching. “I know you bring out the best in me.”

He slowly closed his eyes and just went for it. He wasn’t sure if it was too forward of him but he couldn’t help himself. When they touched it was like an electrical current flowed into him.

In the next instant he found himself pinned against the cloud. He snapped his eyes open and found she had pounced on him like a tiger and was staring at him with an intensity he had only seen in other Wonderbolts before a race. But this was different, more intimate. The look was just for him. She leaned in closer and pushed. They sank into the cloud. She used her wings to pull the cloud around them, like a soft white blanket.

He could smell nothing but cinnamon. His eyes were closed but he was allowed to trace her form. He mentally filed away her shape as well. Another detail he couldn’t forget. He would never forget so many details about her. Her taste for example. Slightly spicy, he could taste that now as well. But he wanted to know more, to know it all.

Oooohhh

He was falling. He could still see her and wanted nothing more than to go to her. But for some reason his wings wouldn’t work.

Thunk!

“Ooohhhh, what-?” Soarin groaned and sat up blinking. The room came into sharp focus. He was cold and speckled with sweat. Light spilled into the hotel room from a square window. It played across the bed and over the sheets. He was on the cold, hard floor beside his bed. And now he had a small lump on the back of his head from the fall. He rubbed his mane and felt the lump, touching it made him wince. He could still faintly smell something like cinnamon and taste something spicy.

He blinked again, he really was cold. Only the sheet covered him as it has gotten tangled in his limbs and a good portion of it was still wrapped around his lower body. Why am I so cold? He looked down and noticed the sheets were soaked with sweat. It made his entire body chilly. He surveyed the bedding he had turned into a swamp. He found the reason he felt so cold.

His eyes went wide when he realized just what had happened. His ears burned despite there being no pony around to witness anything. He gulped and thought, I haven’t done that since I was a colt. He kicked the sheet away and tossed it into the corner of the hotel room. He found a spare sheet in the cupboard and replaced it on the bed before he settled back into it. He tried to sleep but found it difficult because every time he closed his eyes his nose caught a whiff of something spicy that made his heart race.

~~~~~

Meanwhile in Ponyville...

“I’m delighted you could make it today. I have several ideas, I’m sure we can find something you’ll fancy.” She flipped open the portfolio to the first page showing a rough sketch of a pony wearing a flamboyant dress. It would make the wearer look something like a cross between a tropical bird and a spoiled debutante. The client looked bored and shook her head without so much as a second glance at the sketch.

Rarity swallowed and wiped away a drop a sweat that had formed behind her ear. She was able to make the motion appear as if she were simply preening her mane. She flipped past several pages in the portfolio trying to find something fresh, something new, something impressive. The waiter approached them. “I am so sorry madames, but the weather calls for rain today. Perhaps you would like a seat inside?”

At this Rarity smiled, “I think not darling. I wanted to have lunch outside today and I have arranged for the weather to cooperate. We shall have no rain till late this afternoon.” The waiter gawped at her, even the client raised an eyebrow.

“Very good ma’am, can I interest you in an aperitif?” Rarity nodded and selected a champagne
she hoped would please her client. They were seated outside of the restaurant. It was an overcast day with several dark clouds. Rain was indeed scheduled but so far not a drop had fallen. The day was still warm and the last minute change in the weather’s schedule created a quiet atmosphere as Rarity looked out over town square. Sunlight bled through the clouds like Celestia herself was giving a spotlight for Rarity and her client. Of course that wasn’t an accident either as a certain pegasus was opening the clouds on Rarity’s command. Now if only the client would cooperate and choose a dress or five, things would really be going her way.

“How did you manage get the rain to stop?” The client asked as the waiter returned with the champagne. Rarity took the opportunity to pour each of them a glass before she replied.

“One of my very good friends is the local weather pegasus, I just asked her to hold off on the rain so we could have a quite and dry lunch while we discuss business. I have quite the eye for detail, I promise not a single button will be out of place if you choose one of my creations. How about this one?” She finally found a piece halfway through her portfolio that was both new and not so flamboyant. It wasn’t a terribly bold design choice as it was influenced by several classics. Rarity prayed the client wouldn’t find the design old fashioned.

“Hmm not bad, but I want something a little more... fresh.” Rarity sighed and continued into her portfolio. There was a particularly good design at the end but she was hoping to sell more than one dress to this client. The client was introduced to her by Fancypants some time ago. He had said she was a model and certainly looked the part. An all white unicorn with a body that would make stallions stare. In fact there was a stallion across the market who was staring at her now, halfway through a transaction with the asparagus vendor. Only the vendor’s exclamation brought his wandering eye back to reality.

By the time the waiter brought them lunch Rarity still hadn’t gotten more than a few passing compliments about her designs. The client sighed and opened a tabloid she had brought with her. Rarity noticed it was last month’s edition. How boring am I that she would rather read a tabloid from last month instead of paying attention to me? Rarity thought to herself. She was starting to get desperate when the client spoke up, “I would like to thank this friend of yours.” Rarity blinked, she didn’t want any distractions but this wasn’t the sort of client she could deny, no matter how inane the request.

Rarity waved a hoof to the break in the clouds. She couldn’t see Rainbow Dash with the sun in her eyes but she knew Dash was there. A normal pegasus would have taken several minutes to reach them from such a lofty perch. Dash landed next to them on the other side of the short wrought iron fence that partitioned off the restaurant from the street in less time than it took for the waiter to return with a refill for Rarity’s drink. The client slapped the magazine closed and slipped it into her saddle bag. For the first time since the meeting started she smiled warmly. She gestured for Rainbow Dash to join them at an empty seat. Rarity’s brow twitched at the intrusion but she could think of no way to prevent it.

“Um, hi.” Dash said as she took a seat. “You don’t have to drag me into lunch, I’m not hungry.” Rarity forced a smile at Dash. The client leaned a bit closer to Dash and began speaking in warm, fluid tones that Rarity wished were directed at her or the portfolio instead.

“Oh it’s no trouble at all dear. I just wanted to thank you for keeping the rain away. It’s dreadful what water can do to my mane and makeup. I could use some of the waterproof brands but they just don’t have the same luster. You know how it is, right?” Rainbow Dash smiled and nodded. Rarity rolled her eyes, Rainbow Dash had no idea what waterproof makeup was. She probably didn’t even know much about regular makeup for that matter.

“How rude of me, I didn’t even introduce myself. My name is Fleur, Fleur De Lis.”

“Oh, uh, nice to meet ya Fleur, my name is Rainbow Dash.” Dash glanced at Rarity with a pleading look asking what do I do? Rarity just gave a weak smile and shrugged.

“Oh non, the pleasure is all mine.” Fleur pushed the portfolio back towards Rarity so there was nothing in between herself and Dash. Rarity stifled an indignant gasp and settled into her seat. Generosity was her virtue, not patience. Today she was going to generously allow Dash to take up some of her client’s attention.

Fleur reached out and brushed a rainbow colored lock of hair out of Dash’s face. To her credit, Dash had the presence of mind not to shrink away but it was obvious to Rarity she didn’t enjoy such close physical proximity to what amounted to a stranger. “You have such beautiful hair. Have you considered modeling?”

Rainbow Dash’s face flashed into something you would expect to see had she bitten down on a rotten apple. She recovered quickly and replied, “Nope, I don’t think I would make a very good model. I hate fril...uh, photographs. Yeah.” If Fleur was offended she didn’t show it.

“Oh such a shame. How did you get to be such a good weather pony?” Dash’s face lit up, this was a subject she could talk about and not fib every five seconds.

“I always wanted to join the Wonderbolts as a filly. Being a good weather pony was just a logical step towards that goal. Besides I love flying, who wouldn’t want to fly as part of their job? I mean...uh, not that there’s anything wrong with being on the ground.” Dash’s ears began to burn and her face was flush. Great job Dash. Why don’t you just shove both hooves into your mouth she thought bitterly.

Fleur smiled and waved it off, “I do wish I could fly sometimes. But we each have our talents, non?” Fleur used her magic to fill a third glass with champagne and placed it in front of Dash. “You know I might be able to help you get admitted to the Wonderbolts. I have a friend of a friend who just might help you with your dream.”

“Really? I was going to submit an application soon but a recommendation would be great! Who do you know that can help me?” Dash’s mouth went dry when she thought about getting into the Wonderbolts. She idly gulped down the liquid in her fluted glass without thinking. Her face flushed as the bubbles burned their way down her throat. She coughed a bit while Fleur took the opportunity to close her eyes and enjoy a sip of her own drink.

“Well I have a few friends in high places. I don’t want to say too much. A girl has to have her secrets.” Fleur looked over her drink at Dash and smiled. “Let’s just say you will owe me a little favor in exchange for a good word, deal?” She extended her glass carefully, the champagne still bubbling. Rainbow Dash clinked her nearly empty glass against Fleur’s.

“Deal.” Dash smiled and downed the rest of her drink in one gulp. Rarity’s mouth was set in a line as she rested a chin on her hoof watching Fleur and Dash make deals while her portfolio sat open in front of her. She blew an errant lock of hair out of her face and called for another glass.

~~~~~

crinkle toss

crumple toss

crinkle toss

sigh

Rainbow Dash missed the wastebasket in the corner of her room yet again. The pile of crumpled up papers overflowed the wastebin and onto the floor. She started with a fresh sheet. She sighed again when she realized her inkwell had run dry. “That’s just great. The store is probably closed at this time of night. Hmm... who will have spare ink... egghead!” Dash exclaimed out loud. She turned to find tank on her bed, holding an empty inkwell in his mouth, looking at her with dark eyes. He blinked slowly and wetly. Dash knew this meant he didn’t want her to leave him alone. Or he was hungry, she wasn’t sure, “Back in a bit Tank. I got an application to write.” She was out the door before Tank could do more than blink. In less than ten minutes she was in front of the Golden Oaks Library.

knock-knock-knock

“The library is closed.” Twilight opened the door at the sound of rapid knocking. “I’m sorry but- oh hello Dash.” Twilight’s face brightened up at the sight of her unexpected visitor. “What brings you here at this hour? I was about to hit the hay.”

Dash rolled her eyes, “Really? You sure you weren’t about to read a book before bed?”

Twilight flushed and replied, “Well it was only one book. And it’s short one, only 450 pages.”

Dash used a hoof to stifle a laugh, “Right, a nice short read. Anyway I came by because I need a little help writing and I’m out of ink. Do you have any extra ink lying around?”

Twilight looked indignant, “I most certainly do NOT have ink lying around.” Dash’s ears fell. “I have plenty of spare ink organized by color and expiration date in the cupboard but none of it is just ‘lying around.’ I’d tan Spike’s hide if I found spare ink out of place.”

Dash’s ears perked back up, “Oh, right. Well, can I use it?”

“Of course you can, I’ll even help you write. What is it you’re writing?” Twilight knew Dash liked to read but she hadn’t ever known her to write anything more than a letter.

Dash trotted inside with Twilight following her. She pulled out a stack of papers, it was a blank form of some kind. “This is my application to the Wonderbolts. I’ve gone through like, a hundred of em’ and I’m still not happy with the results.”

Twilight gasped, “Oh Dash this is so exciting. I know how much you want to join the Wonderbolts. I would be honored to help you write your application.” Twilight found her best bottle of black ink and the two mares began to fill out the blank form one more time.

While they were writing even Twilight could see how nervous Dash was. After the first few rejected forms were tossed into the wastebasket Twilight spoke up. “You’re not nervous just because of this application are you? You’re the best flier in Ponyville, what would you be worried about?”

Dash sighed and her face flushed, “I just don’t want to mess this up. I’ll have to wait a whole year if I don’t get accepted.”

Twilight looked at her friend and noticed her expression. The ghost of a smile that lit her features and the blush in her cheeks. Twilight took out a notebook she hadn’t used in about four weeks and said, “Are you sure this is all about the application and not about say... Soarin?”

When she said his name it was like Dash was hit with a lighting bolt. Her face grew very red and that ghost of a smile became reality. Twilight started to giggle and thought that’s it for sure!

“Well, yeah, I guess I’ll get a chance to see him at the academy. So it makes this application really important.”

Twilight scratched a few more notes into her notebook. Working at the same occupation as a potential mate improves one’s chances for success. She glanced around the library and sighed. Maybe next time I visit Canterlot I’ll spend more time in the library but less time reading. “Don’t worry Dash, we’ll get this application perfect so you don’t have to worry about anything.”

“Thanks Twilight.”

~~~~~

KNOCK KNOCK

“You may enter, state your business.” Spitfire was seated on the couch. The coffee table in front of her was covered with papers. She had a single inkwell in the middle of the mess but several quills. It was midday and the windows were open letting in plenty of light into the suite but Spitfire still had a lamp lit and focused on the mess before her. She adjusted the aviator sunglasses sitting on her nose and straightened her uniform.

Fleetfoot and Soarin entered the hotel suite and gave a short salute. “You called for us colonel?” Fleetfoot glanced at the stacks of papers. Her expression looked as if she had just popped a sour candy into her mouth. Soarin had a faint smile on his lips and his eyes were unfocused as he seemed to stare off into space.

Spitfire rapped a hoof against the coffee table once and spoke, “Sit down you two. You drew the short straws this year. You get to help me process recruit applications.” Fleetfoot sighed as they sat down on either side of Spitfire and picked up a quill. “I don’t want to hear it Fleet, you know this is an important job and I trust your judgment.”

Fleetfoot shrugged and pointed at Soarin with a quill, “What about him? He’s never done this sort of thing before. All he’s done is respond to his fan mail.”

Spitfire took off her aviator sunglasses and folded them before slipping them into her breast pocket. She looked at Soarin who just looked a bit surprised to be the center of attention all of a sudden. “You’ve been going through that overgrown stack of fan mail? And writing back?”

Soarin smiled sheepishly, “Yeah I’ve been trying to read some of em’ and respond when I can. Nothing fancy just a few lines, you know, thank you for your letter, hope to see you soon, here’s a signature and your photo. That sort of thing.”

Spitfire smiled, “I’m proud of you Soarin. This is sort of the same thing but much more serious.” Fleetfoot had already begun scratching notes and either check marks or large Xs onto the applications. “You don’t have to do anything more than read the application and use your best judgment to accept or reject them. Keep in mind the applicants who get two out of three check marks from us will be the fresh new faces at the academy this year. And we need some fresh blood, Fleetfoot is getting ready to retire.” Spitfire glanced at Fleetfoot with a wolfish smile.

“Hey now, I’m not that old. Not yet anyway.” Soarin knew Fleetfoot wasn’t old by any stretch of the imagination. But being a Wonderbolt was a young pony’s job. Once you were over the hill, retirement from the Wonderbolts wasn’t far behind. Sometimes you “retired” to a higher rank that involved paperwork but no flying. Other times you retired to teach in flight school or got command of your own weather team. Private schools and municipalities paid plenty of bits for a retired Wonderbolt to work for them. Soarin and Spitfire still had many years ahead of them but Fleetfoot's career was in its sunset. Soarin thought she would be a wonderful flight instructor. His own foalhood flight instructor was an old Wonderbolt and set him on his life’s path.

Soarin continued to work his way through the stack of applications with a critical eye. Many of them were rejects. He felt bad when he put an X down, like he was crushing a little dream with each stroke of the quill. It always felt good to put the check mark on an application. But some of them were just terrible. One years work as a weather pony, junior grade? Maximum wing power of 8.5? Soarin sighed and crushed another little dream. It would be better this way. He knew all too well how much more painful it would be for Spitfire to crush those dreams at the academy. At least this way there was always the tiny hope they could try again next year.

Hope was important. He glanced at Spitfire and Fleetfoot, they were concentrating on the paperwork. He allowed his thoughts to drift to his dream last night and he smiled.

~~~~

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT’S TOO LATE!”

The mail mare shrunk away from Rainbow Dash. Dash had waited outside all morning for the pegasus to arrive to give her the signed and sealed application. The wall eyed mare just looked at her with an expression of sorrow.

“I’m sorry Rainbow Dash, but Wonderbolt applications have to be post marked by the first of the month. It’s already the third. I think I reminded you a few weeks ago but maybe I forgot. I’m so sorry; I usually remind all of the ponies who want to apply. I just don’t know what went wrong.” She looked sad despite her crossed eyes. A tear began to form in each of those yellow orbs.

Rainbow Dash was about to shout again but recalled the conversation. It was two and a half weeks ago when Derpy had reminded her to hoof over her application before the deadline. She had been so caught up in making the perfect application she forgot the deadline entirely. She let out a breath and placed a hoof gently on Derpy’s withers. “You didn’t do anything wrong. I’m the stupid one. Stupid-stupid-stupid.” She punctuated each word with a hoof to the side of her own head. “I forgot about the deadline.” Derpy’s eyes cleared up but now it was Dash holding back tears.

“Oh, that’s really too bad Rainbow Dash. I wish I had an idea to help you. You should ask a smart pony with lots of ideas.”

Dash’s face lit up, she nearly crushed Derpy in her hug. “That’s it! You’re a genius Derpy!”

“I am? Uh, glad to help.” Dash released her. Derpy continued her mail route with a smile on her face.

Minutes later Dash entered the library. Business was in full swing today. Several earth ponies were wandering aimlessly about the library quietly, several were reading various books around the central table. Twilight was smiling as she worked. She enjoyed seeing so many patrons.

“TWILIGHT I NEED HELP!”

Everypony in the room glared at her, none more than Twilight. She brought a hoof to her mouth and shushed Dash. She spoke in a hushed and irritated tone, “What is the matter with you? This is a library.” She motioned for Spike to take over her post and led Dash outside. The little dragon wore an oversized grin as he got his impromptu promotion. Twilight closed the door behind her.

“Sorry Twilight.”

Twilight placed a hoof against her chin and her eyes rolled up for the moment. “I don’t mean to pry into your personal life but...,” I REALLY want to know “are you going to meet up with Soarin sometime soon?”

“Yeah the Wonderbolts are passing through town on the way home and I’ll get a chance to see him.”

Twilight’s smile was warm and encouraged Dash to think. “Right, and when you see him-” Twilight leaned in just a bit, waiting for the lightbulb to go off.

Dash thought for a moment and right on cue the light bulb lit with a ding. “I can give it to him personally!” Twilight smiled and nodded.

“I hope that doesn’t put Soarin in an uncomfortable position.” Twilight said thinking out loud.

“I’ll make sure he’s comfortable when he gets it.” Dash said with a grin. “I’ll make sure he’s in an awesome mood when he gets my awesome application.”

“Uh, Dash that’s not the sort of comfort I was talking-” But Dash was already gone. Twilight sighed a made another note in her notebook: try not to mix romance with business.

~~~~~

The next day

“Are you sure this isn’t too tight?” Rarity used her magic to pull the girdle tighter around Fleur. It was already pressed tight against Fleur’s form, making the dress show off her lines. But every time Rarity tried Fleur just demanded something even more sheer. It was rapidly approaching the point of being unhealthy.

Rarity popped a kink out of her neck and focused. Her horn glowed with such intensity Fleur had to squint, the fabric around Fleur stretched even tighter. Rarity was sweating when she slipped two pins into place in order to hold the fabric. Fleur exhaled a tiny breath and it was done. Rarity panted out, “How about now?”

“Perfect,” was all Fleur could manage to breathe out. Rarity quickly took the measurements and removed the pins and fabric. You’re CRAZY if you want to wear a dress that tight, Rarity thought to herself. The finished dress would prevent Fleur from doing any talking, or possibly even breathing for that matter. But that was the price models paid for their art. Once the fabric was removed Fleur breathed in and out deeply for a moment before she stepped off of the little platform and settled into Rarity’s favorite red divan.

Rarity continued her work with the prototype dress using the new measurements. She had to use a very slim ponyquin in order to work, a ponyquin that, were a real pony, would have died from malnourishment. She disliked using it but for this client no other frame would do. Fleur was reading from that old tabloid again when there was a knock on the front door. Rarity set down her work and trotted to the front door passing by Fleur on the way. It irked her that she was using her favorite seat. Fleur quickly stowed the tabloid into her saddlebag. Rarity hadn’t read that particular one yet but could have sworn she saw a tiny rainbow colored mane on the front cover. She was about to ask about it when the knock at the front door repeated itself.

“Hello Dash,” Rarity’s tone was flat as she opened the door. She knew Fleur wanted to discuss something with Rainbow Dash and now was a good time. She still didn’t like the fact that Fleur ignored her whenever Rainbow Dash was nearby. At least Dash seemed to make Fleur happy and a happy client tended to spend more bits. The two friends trotted inside. Rarity returned to her work while Dash sat on a cushion near Fleur. The way Fleur and Dash were seated gave the impression that Fleur was some sort of guru and Dash was her disciple. “Can I get you two anything to drink? Perhaps some carrot juice or cider?”

Dash’s eyes lit up, “I’ll take some cider!”

“Just water for me, thank you.” Fleur said in that liquid tone she used when Dash was near. Rarity trotted off to the kitchen to get drinks. Fleur turned to Dash, “I am afraid I must call in that little favor.”

Dash’s ears perked up, “So soon? This is actually good, I don’t really like having debts pile up. You’re sure you can help me get into the Wonderbolts?”

Fleur wore a tiny smile, her soft eyes gazing at her, “Consider it done, trust me.”

“So what’s this little favor? Oh thanks Rarity.” Rarity had returned with the requested drinks. She smiled and nodded at Rainbow Dash. She always enjoyed playing the host.

“It’s just a little thing really, I would like to know a bit of gossip.” Fleur said as she took her own drink. Rarity returned to her work and pretended to be oblivious but she was still listening.

“I’m not really into the whole gossip thing.” Rainbow Dash and Rarity briefly had a memory of a certain gossip column. Rarity involuntarily shuddered.

“I just want to know where the Wonderbolts will be staying at while they are in Ponyville. It will give me a chance to put my little plan into motion.” At the word ‘plan’ Fleur’s smile stretched just a bit wider and her eyes seemed to shine. She took a sip of water.

“Oh is that all? They’re going to be staying at the Four Hooves Hotel.” Dash smiled when she said it. Rarity’s right ear swiveled around toward Dash and Fleur. How did Rainbow Dash know that? And what are you planning Fleur? Rarity thought to herself as a cold knot formed in her stomach despite having nothing to drink.

Fleur’s smile grew wider still, “Wonderful, now I just need to take care of a few things and everything should work out nicely.” Rarity pinned the last piece of fabric into place. The ponyquin wore a magnificent dress, but the slender frame created a result that looked severe.

~~~~~

It was late. The moon had risen hours ago and now most ponies were going to bed. However there was one place that had no sleepers. At least not by design, a stallion who couldn’t hold his cider was slumped against the wall near the bar but he wouldn’t be there for long. The bartender of the Two Bits Pub wouldn’t allow a non-paying patron to take up valuable real estate and would throw him out on his flank as soon as he had a free moment. The place used to be a barber shop but now served drinks over the din of some very modern music. The barber’s pole outside and the name of the pub were the last remnants of a bygone era.

Now the inside boasted a long oak bar and noisy patrons. It was just now becoming rowdy as the crowd slowly sank into intoxication, and the usual debauchery would soon follow. The barkeep was a large tan stallion with a blonde mane and a cutie mark to match his name. Golden Barley filled mugs of cider as fast as he could, sliding them down the polished oak with practiced ease. The pounding bass made it hard to think and the surface of every liquid in the place vibrated constantly in time with the music. Eligible bachelors were jam packed into the pub but the only single mare Golden Barley considered good looking tonight was the DJ. To her credit, DJ-Pon3 kept the beats going and the crowd happy. Her tinted glasses and occasional toothy smile made the patrons happy, but Golden Barley wondered just how long it would be before a drunken stallion said or did something that would cut the music and start a brawl. He hated the damage and the clean up afterwards. He silently prayed for a good looking single mare to waltz in and take some of the attention away from the DJ to keep the stallions happy and drinking rather than angry and fighting.

And there she was, the answer to his prayers. Golden Barley couldn’t stop staring, cider was overflowing the mug he was filling. Every eye in the room followed his gaze to the front door and the sight that had entered like the sun cresting over the horizon. She was a pure white unicorn with a body that could grace the cover of the magazines Golden Barley kept hidden under his bed when he was a growing colt. Every other stallion in the room seemed to agree with him as they began to whistle cat calls at her.

“Check out that flank!” “What I wouldn’t give to have a sip of that, if you know what I mean.” “Can I buy you a drink?” “Hey babe, do you like my mane?” “Two white unicorns? It’s my lucky night.”

Golden Barley slid the overflowing mug to it’s destination at the other end of the bar and shook his head to clear it. His initial reaction was worry, she was almost too beautiful and the crowd was drinking heavily already. If she acted like most mares, that is, to blow them off, then they would get bitter and angry in short order. Pretty mares like that were used to having lots of attention and they tended to ignore stallions in droves.

But not this one.

Golden Barley could hardly believe his eyes. She winked at a few of the more forward stallions and said a few things which he couldn’t hear over the pounding bass. Her technique was flawless and Golden Barley had seen some real pros work a crowd in his day. As the only sober stallion in the room he could see her working one stallion against the others. Keeping just enough interest in each one to keep them happy and competing for her attention. It was a dangerous game to play with drunks; at any moment one might decide to violently get rid of his competition. But she was so good at keeping attention focused on her the males never seemed to really notice.

It took almost twenty minutes but she finally arrived at the other side of the bar surrounded by no less than four stallions. “I’d like a drink.”

“Two bits,” Golden Barley had to raise his voice to be heard over the music. The response was a reflex but this time was quite foalish. She just raised a polished hoof to her mouth but it didn’t hide her grin. Before he knew it, there were a dozen bits on the bar and calls for drinks.

He poured her a drink and leaned across the bar so she could hear him, “I guess you don’t pay for drinks very often.”

“Drinks cost money?” She replied with a tilt of her head and an innocent pout. His mouth almost fell open when he saw her subtly wink at him. He closed his eyes and shook his head. The crowd cheered and when he opened his eyes he found an empty mug in front of him and a wolfish smile on her face. More bits clattered onto the bar followed by calls for even more drinks.

She strode around the bar and walked right up to Golden Barley. The swinging wooden half-door that separated the employees area from the bar proper was a force field against most patrons. She ignored it while still looking at the crowd. She leaned in close to him and whispered into his ear. The music and her proximity was an effective form of privacy. He couldn’t help but blush while she brushed up against him. But the things she said to him...

It took all of his willpower not look startled. There were many sets of eyeballs on him, the stallions in the crowd looked angry since he was getting so much attention from her. When she finished and strode back around the bar Golden Barley spoke up.

“Hey! the lady has asked for a little bet! Any stallion that can out-drink her gets free cider for the night!” He had to shout to be heard but the message got through at the mention of ‘free cider.’ Stallions lined up at the bar nearly crushing her. Bits skipped across the bar so fast it was all Golden Barley could do to keep up. The speed he was moving at before was a snails pace compared to what he was doing now. And he had to be very careful, because she required a special drink.

She snatched one of the full mugs with her magic. It was destined for one of the stallions next to her but it instead ended up in front of DJ-Pon3. “LETS GET THIS PARTY STARTED!” The gorgeous one said to a deafening cheer. DJ-Pon3 took the cider and the cue. The bass started to pound even louder.

Two hours later...

Groan

The pub was nearly empty. Normally this would be the time Golden Barley would say, “You don’t have to go home but you can’t stay here.” But there was almost nopony to say this to. He had just kicked the last stallion out on his flank. He was so intoxicated Golden Barley was briefly worried he would die from alcohol poisoning. How many did that one have? Forty six?

The drop dead gorgeous mare just kept knocking them back like a pro. It took a while but after two hours even the most hardened stallions gave up or simply passed out. Now the bar was empty save for the mare, DJ-Pon3, and Golden Barley.

“Thank you barkeep. I trust you got what you wanted?” Golden Barley nodded, the strong box with the bits was literally stuffed. It was by far the most lucrative night Golden Barley ever had. “Good, now I would like you to leave. I want some privacy for this conversation. I promise I will not break or steal anything. Well, no more than your patron’s hearts.” She laughed, a musical thing that sent a shiver up his spine.

Your promises aren’t worth an iron bit you con mare. Golden Barley felt unclean. He had just helped this mare swindle his patrons. Sure, they all had a choice, and sure they could have stopped at any time. But the opportunity to get free drinks and be the last stallion standing with a drop dead gorgeous and drunk mare was a sirens call not many stallions could ignore. The smart ones just quit while they were ahead and went home. Not like Mr. Forty six, poor guy. He didn’t stand a chance. Outdrinking another pony, even a light weight mare, is exceedingly difficult when your opponent is drinking water.

“Damn girlfriend. I’ve never sheen anypony drink like you ...hic.” DJ-Pon3 spoke up as Golden Barley locked the strong box and put away several of the more valuable bottles of alcohol. “Don’t worry Mr. Barley I’ll clean up fer an extra five bits.” He nodded and started towards the door. The mare just smiled at him and the DJ while he walked out of his own bar but left the lights on.

DJ-Pon3 began to pack her gear. The amps were heavy and the turntable was delicate. The fact that the floor kept shifting didn’t help. It often took her over an hour to set up and break things down. She silently thanked Celestia for the company... for many reasons.

“My name is Fleur. Would you like another drink?” She was standing right behind DJ-Pon3 with two mugs of cider floating near her head.

“What’re ya shome kinda alcoholic? ...hic How’re you shtill shtandin’?” DJ-Pon3 watched her and licked her lips. She was thirsty and the mare in front of her looked like some kind of cider goddess.

“Oh that? Just a little ploy to get us some alone time. I hear you might want some alone time with me, oui?” DJ-Pon3 swallowed. She had been so careful to prevent any rumors from following her from Canterlot. But Fleur seemed to know too much. DJ-Pon3’s mind churned with the possibilities and a haze of alcohol. How was she to get out of this unscathed?

Something in her face must have betrayed her thoughts because Fleur just started to laugh that tinkling, musical laugh of hers. “Don’t worry Miss Scratch, I won’t tell anypony your little secret.”

DJ-Pon3 breathed a sigh of relief and swiped a mug of cider out of the air with her own magic. She downed in in one gulp. “Ya had me a little shcared there fer a minute. The rumorsh aren't true ya know.”

“What rumors would you be referring to?” Fleur’s smile showed joy but it was still sinister.

“The rumorsh that I’m ...hic a...a...filly fooler.” DJ-Pon3 continued before Fleur could say anything. “I’ve never done nothing-I was just curious thish one time. It was nothing an’ I was wrong. I’m NOT a filly fooler. ...hic Sho I’m shorry if you thought...that...I...I...oh...” DJ-Pon3 shuddered as Fleur brushed up against her. Blood rushed to her cheeks and ears. She could smell something sweet, like honey.

“Are you sure it was just idle curiosity? If it was it would be such a shame. I owe a pony a favor and I think she would just love to meet you.” Fleur breathed into DJ-Pon3’s ear. DJ-Pon3 took the second drink Fleur offered her without thinking. Fleur used her magic to levitate two more drinks from behind the bar.

DJ-Pon3 swallowed the lump in her throat while one hoof drew little circles into the floor. Fleur nuzzled her withers making her let out a little gasp. “I don’t want ta damage my career. It’s hard enough gettin’ a gig at a place like thish without ...hic letting everypony know you might want to try playing fer the other team.”

Fleur nuzzled up her neck and whispered in her ear. It made a shiver follow the touch and even more blood rush to the DJ’s head. “Don’t worry I have it on good authority that this mare thinks just like you do. All you have to do is meet her and give her a little kiss. Everything should fall into place after that.”

“What if she don’t like it? Or what if she don’t feel the ...hic way I do? What if-”

“Shhhh,” Fleur breathed into her ear. “Don’t worry, if things don’t work out I might be able to step in and help you in some other way. You’d like that wouldn’t you?” DJ-Pon3 let out a ragged breath, she couldn’t keep it even. She had been luckless when it came to love. Something in her mind tried to warn her that she was being used, but she so badly wanted to believe love was just a short trot away. Not to mention she didn’t want to anger another pony that knew how she really felt. She was quivering putty in Fleur’s hooves.

“Ok.”

“Good!” Fleur abruptly trotted away from DJ-Pon3, almost causing her to fall. She had been leaning into the other mare without realizing it. She removed her glasses for a moment and blinked a bleary set of eyes. When did I drink nine ciders? Somewhere along the line she had polished off all four of the the ciders Fleur had retrieved along with five more over the course of the evening. And now Fleur was getting another pair of drinks. “Let’s drink to love. It brings us everything we’ve always wanted.” DJ-Pon3 held a weak smile and downed her tenth cider of the night.