• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 5,363 Views, 69 Comments

Sweet N' Spicy - Shahrazad



Hearts and Hooves day is only three days away and some ponies need to find dates in time.

  • ...
10
 69
 5,363

Sweet N' Spicy chapter 2

Sweet N' Spicy chapter 2
By Shahrazad

Flash

The familiar flash of a camera pulled him out of his memories. He didn’t remember walking into the Ponyville market, but he was there now, without an escort. His wings had spread behind him causing his jacket to momentarily reveal his identity. Com’on Soarin, stay in the now. He was thinking he would just pick one of the three mares from yesterday. His figured his chances of falling for them were remote at best.

A small crowd was rapidly forming around him. Dasiy, Lily, and Rose were there, each with their namesake flower proffered. There were others, a mint colored mare tried to sing while playing a lyre to him while her friend offered him candy. Two more mares who looked like pink and blue mirror images of each other were saying something about a free message in a tone which implied…things. Another mare called out to him. She was pure white, with a red cross for a cutie mark. She wasn’t his old flame but had a certain resemblance to her. It sent a chill down his spine. From somewhere in the back of the crowd a cyan hoof with a rose was being forced towards him.

“Here, wear my Lily.” “Free message?” “What’s your favorite song?” “These are the best!” “Will you sign my autograph?” “Let’s get away from here, just you and me.”

We’re perfect for each other.

His eyes shrank to pinpricks.

~~~~~

We’re perfect for each other.” More flashes and pops. Fleur was so close to Soarin they were rubbing against each other, not that he minded. The Fillidephian stadium was behind them creating a regal backdrop with its columns.

Soarin wasn’t wearing a medal or a wreath this time. He kept sucking in air, sweat dripping down his sides. Why am I so tired? He groused to himself. I put in the work didn’t I? Now that the thought was in his head he couldn’t seem to remember doing his regular workout routine in...seven… eight days? All he could remember were restaurants with Fleur, shopping with Fleur, photos with Fleur, and sleeping with Fleur. She kept a hellish schedule and demanded he be there for everything. He didn’t complain, just being near her was like a dream.

A dream that was turning into a nightmare, his performance at the race was terrible. It didn’t look awful on camera, he was moving fast of course. But to his team mates and those who followed the sport his performance was dismal, his worst track time. And he didn’t realize it until the race was over but he suspected he was wearing the wrong goggles for this temperature. That sort of rookie mistake was something fillies would do. It was beyond embarrassing for a professional.

“We will be at a photo shoot tomorrow afternoon, with an up and coming fashion designer by the name of Hoity Toity.” Fleur conducted herself with grace, the journalist ate up every word, every flutter of an eyelash, every kiss, every smile. The cameras miss nothing, Soarin restrained himself, he knew the cameras were watching and didn’t want to anger Fleur.

It took the better part of an hour before they were in the carriage returning home. As soon as the door closed he turned to her. “What photo shoot? I didn’t know there was a photo shoot tomorrow.” He narrowed his eyes slightly, creases appeared between his eyes. She shot him a look.

“I told you about it last week, don’t you remember?” She leaned away from him with her forehooves crossed.

“I have to train tomorrow, it has been over a week since my last session I’m way overdue.” He left unspoken his recent performance.

“Oh please, it’s no big deal, you looked fine, that’s what the crowd wants.” She waved dismissively, as if she could brush away concerns like cobwebs. “Besides you can do better next time.”

“Next time?” Soarin said, his voice rising. “Next time is six days away.” He did not remember a discussion about a photo shoot this week. He certainly wouldn’t have forgotten an unusual name like Hoity Toity. The suspicion she was lying gnawed at him. “I’m sorry I have to train with the team tomorrow.”

“No. you. don’t.” Fleur snapped off each word and gave him a cold glare. “I’ve worked too hard to set this photo shoot up and I promised some very important ponies you would be there. You have to be there, you’re my special somepony.” The last bit elicited a smile from her. But this smile was the same one she used when a journalist was near. Her body language didn’t shift one iota. Soarin didn’t miss it this time.

“Wait a minute. You promised? I never heard anything about important fashion ponies!” He felt tightness in his chest, like he had after the race. But no matter how much he breathed the feeling didn’t relent. He was certain he had never heard anything about a promise or important fashion ponies. More like important airheads.

“WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?” Had he said that last thought out loud? Judging by her expression he had. Oops. She leaned in closer to him, her scowl was nothing short of frightening. Something about it made her features slip past the barrier from beautiful to terrible. Her voice grew very quiet, in contrast to her abrupt shout a moment ago. “You will be there tomorrow, or you will regret it.”

Soarin felt a chill down his spine.

~~~~~

That chill spread all the way to his pinions. His head felt detached from his body. The voices around him melted together, a brass marching band that seemed to all hit the ground at the same time. His heart beat faster and his mouth went dry. With a single beat he was airborne, in seconds he was six blocks away. He didn’t even realize it until he was at the edge of town that he was flying away. At maximum speed, which if this were a race would be quite impressive.

The ponies in the market were stunned. One second Soarin was in front of them, all smiles. The next he lost his smile. The next second he was just gone. Faster than anypony could react.

Well…almost everypony. Rainbow Dash trailed his shrinking form. The speed exhilarated her, yet Soarin was still a shrinking figure on the horizon so she poured on the speed. A shock front began to form in front of her, yet Soarin still wasn’t getting closer. He’s so fast! Her wings burned, the wind whipped past tearing at her eyes. Suddenly Soarnin darted down and landed with a thud in a small clearing. She shot past him and had to circle around.

She landed near him much more softly, almost silently. She approached him the way you would approach a rare and skittish bird. The rose was still in hoof, thank Celestia. As she drew near she could hear the soft babble of a creek. The creek was flowing just past the line of trees and Soarin walked towards it. He stopped at the edge in the shade, the dappled sunlight filtering through the trees made him look 20% cooler in Dash’s opinion. Rainbow Dash grinned, now’s my chance.

SNAP

As is customary when sneaking up on a skittish creature in a forest she stepped on a twig. As is customary for the stalked he turned and froze, she was caught much too far away. However the quarry this time was much more elusive than a fox or raccoon. She held her breath, with her ears flattened. His eyes looked a bit puffy and bloodshot. He sniffed once and said in loud clear voice, “Go away! I don’t want any more flowers!”

She swallowed a lump in her throat. This was not going as planned but Dash was not one to give up. “Uh…sorry I thought you liked roses. Roses are not cool.” She dropped the flower and stomped on it to prove her point. “See the rose has been killed now. All better.”

He looked at her and blinked. “Um…how…did you find me? You didn’t follow me from the market did you?” This was not the only thought on his mind, but he desperately grasped at any subject other than himself.

“You bet I did!” A grin split her face. “You were going so fast, but no pony is as fast as Rainbow Dash!” She puffed her chest out and flared her wings. Soarin could not help himself, he felt…awe. Never had anypony outside of a race track kept up with him. He blinked and shook his head slowly and wished he could clear the clouds out of his head the way he cleared them from the sky.

“That’s…impressive.” Dash beamed. “But I don’t really want to talk right now, not even to you.” Dash’s smile vanished in an instant.

“Hey you still owe me for saving your life. Look, I made a bet with a friend and I need a date for a party.” She furrowed her brow. “Please be my date? It’s nothing romantic we could just have fun.” He looked at her as his nose scrunched up and his eyes narrowed. That’s a horrible reason to go on a date he thought. “Com’on it’ll be fun. Besides we’re perfect for each other.”

At this utterance his expression shifted. His brow shot up, his lower lip opened. His hoof came up as if to cover his face. It only lasted a split second, he stomped and glared at her.

“How DARE you ask me like this! I am NOT some PLAY thing! I am NOT just a Wonderbolt! I am NOT a POSTER ON YOUR WALL! I AM REAL!” His volume rose with every word, by the end he was shouting.

He hadn’t realized it but with each word he drew closer to her. By the end he was nearly nose to nose with her. Her eyes were wide and her body leaned back as she stared at him unblinking. Without a word she left him alone. When she was gone, he fell to his haunches and wept.

~~~~~

Applejack called out. “Heya Dash. Care for a fritter?” Dash was drifting slowly towards the market, her eyes downcast.

“No thanks AJ.” She landed and looked around. “I have to meet somepony.”

“Ya mean a handsome staillion, ya still got time left don’tcha?”

“Yeah I do, it’s just that I was hoping…wait a minute!” Dash snapped around to face Applejack. “How do you know that?”

“Shucks, Spike told Rarity this morning. Then Rarity had a chat with Fluttershy over lunch. That silly mare told Pinkie Pie, trying ta help ya I reckon, but I think it done more harm than good. Cause Pinkie Pie told…uh…everypony I reckon.” Applejack finished and blushed realizing this may not have been the best time for total honesty.

Rainbow Dash softly banged her head on the apple cart and groaned. “Great, that’s just what I need. Dating help from Fluttershy and the Pink wonder. How did Spike find out?”

“I’m sorry I don’t rightly know. Buck up, you want me to rope my brother in ta playing gentle colt for a day?”

“Um…” Dash paused. She lowered her voice, “I’d rather do it myself but let’s keep that plan on standby ok?” Applejack nodded and smiled.

“Just what was it ya'll were hopin' n' prayin' fer?”

Dash sighed. “I might as well tell you, it doesn’t matter now. I tried asking Soarin on a date. I thought it would be a sure win. But he…” She trailed off looking for the words. “He said no.” She left it at that, but Applejack sensed there was more. Dash looked at the ground, hiding her face.

“aww don’t let that get ya down sugercube. Here, take this, it’s gonna get thrown out anyway if’n I don’t sell it in the next hour.” Applejack pushed an apple pie toward Rainbow Dash. “I reckon if’n you want a stallion ta take a shine to ya, go through his stomach.”

The apple pie stirred a memory for Dash. Soarin liked apple pie, at the very least these apple pies. "Thank’s AJ.”

~~~~~

Soarin was in bed staring at the wall. He tried to sleep but such succor was far beyond his grasp. He had been staring at the wall not moving for well over an hour. His mind slowly struggled with his heart, a battle that was interrupted only by the sound of the door shutting. The sound was not loud but in the silence of his mind it might was well have been a gunshot from a starter pistol. He sat bolt upright and turned to see Spitfire again.

“No dice?” His expression told her everything, she sighed softly. “You got even more fan mail, gifts this time too.” It was something that happened on rare occasion, but this time there were a number of gifts which was unusual. “I kinda like this one, classic.” She said as she held up a single rose in a ridged plastic case. The rose was still fresh, globules of water clung to its petals, leaves and the inside of the fragile case. Soarin just snorted.

“Can’t I just skip this one? I’ve had a rough day of R&R.” Spitfire raised an eyebrow but didn’t inquire further.

“Skip what, the party or this conversation?”

“Either… Both... Please?” Now it was Spitfire’s turn to think carefully. On one hoof she could allow him to skip the party and probably save him some grief now. On the other she could force him to keep trying. The second option would save him grief later. One did not become a Wonderbolt by shirking, either in training or in other matters.

She walked to him and placed a hoof on his shoulder. “No.” He didn’t shrink away but looked at his captain bravely. “I understand you don’t want to do this but you need to do this.” She drew in a breath, allowing her a moment to collect her words. “It’s just like doing wing ups. The more of them you do the easier it gets, I promise.” She smiled at him and despite himself he smiled back. “Just pick one of these” she dropped the latest pile of mail in front of him, “and write to the return address. You don’t even have to meet her beforehoof. Just tell her to meet you at the party.”

THUD

The sounds of a scuffle could be heard outside, along with muffled voices. Spitfire turned a curious eye towards the fisheye lens set into the door. Her smile became even wider. She opened the door and cantered out while Soarin just stared at the stack of fan mail. He picked up the rose in the case and opened it, it smelled nice. The return address belonged to the white mare with the two tone red mane. She was the perfect candidate, pretty and bland in his view. Soarin could think of no reason to say no.

Spitfire returned followed by Rainbow Dash. Soarin’s eyes went wide. Dash had a number of scuff marks on her and her mane was disheveled. Spitfire spoke up, “I got her past security, she’s very…determined to meet you.” Spitfire backed out with a Cheshire cat grin. That toothy smile was the last thing Soarin saw before the door closed leaving him alone with Dash again. He drew in a breath and put on his most neutral expression.

As soon as the door closed the normally chipper Dash placed an apple pie on Soarin’s desk. She turned towards him, her head hanging low. One hoof turned slow circles in the cheap carpet. Her eyes wouldn’t meet his. “I just wanted to say I’m...” This was turning out to be much harder to do than Dash imagined. “…sorry.”

There was a long pause. Soarin might as well have been a statue. “Uh…I guess I’ll find another date, so…see you at the party.” She swallowed a lump in her throat. “Please don’t be mad at me.” She said in a tiny voice.

“What?” Soarin was broken out of his stone encasing and his ears flicked forward. He had never had a fan say they were sorry. He was suddenly interested in hearing what Dash had to say.

She cleared her throat. “Please don’t be mad at me, I don’t want a Wonderbolt to be mad at me.” Soarin let out the breath he didn’t know he had been holding in since she walked in. So that’s what it is, not “I don’t want YOU to be mad at me,” but a Wonderbolt.

“Well, thanks. I do like apple pie. But I really don’t need any more fair weather friends or fans.” He wanted nothing more than to be alone with his thoughts now, but damn did that apple pie smell good. His stomach gave off a quite rumble. Dash’s ears picked it up.

She smiled and looked at him in the eye for the first time since she entered. “You don’t have to worry about that. I am the element of loyalty, I’ll never stop being a fan. I’m your number one fan!” He squeezed his eyes shut, but the memory assaulted him again.

~~~~~

“YOU WILL BE MY NUMBER ONE FAN OR ELSE!” Her voice reached a terrifying level. The hotel room appeared to have been ravaged by a monsoon. No less than three vases filled with flowers had been shattered against the walls, soaking the carpet with their watery contents. The flowers had long since been trampled and the petals scattered like leaves. Shoes had been thrown so many times, he lost count (and horse shoes hurt when they hit you in the head). The wall had a crack in it. There were clothes all over the floor, the bed, and any solid ledge they could hang from. Thankfully the door was intact and closed. This argument had lasted over three hours.

“OR ELSE WHAT? YOU’RE GOING TO SCHEDULE MY DREAMS TOO?” He didn’t even remember what started this argument. She had a maddening ability to jump from subject to subject, to connect them in convoluted ways that his brain had difficulty following. Each new subject seemed to increase her volume and propensity for violence. It didn’t help that he always seemed to be one topic of conversation behind.

“YOU MEAN YOU DON’T EVEN DREAM ABOUT ME ANYMORE?” Now came the waterworks. It’s exceedingly difficult to argue when your opponent is crying. It’s even worse when you yourself are screaming at them. “FINE THEN YOU CAN JUST SLEEP ALONE.” She stormed out like a rolling thundercloud, bucking the door so it slammed behind her. Soarin looked around at the devastation around him. He threw the detritus off of the bed and collapsed into it, falling into fitful sleep.

~~~~~

“Are you ok?” Soarin’s eyes opened, they looked as if he had been crying behind his closed eyelids.

“Please, just leave me alone.” His voice was flat and quiet as if he didn’t have the energy to put life into it. Dash hung her head. He turned his back to her and looked at his desk, his eyes unfocused.

“Ok.” The door closed softly after a moment leaving him once again alone with his thoughts. He focused on the picture once more as the smell of apple pie entered his nose. It made his mouth water. He picked up the picture and his eyes narrowed. Why do I have to feel this way? It isn’t fair! With a jerk he threw the frame at the wall. It shattered the glass and bent the frame, the whole mess tumbling into the wastebasket with a tinkling of glass and a crunch. That felt good.

He glanced at the stack of fan mail. The smell of apple pie beckoned to him from inside the package. His stomach rumbled again. I should just write to that white mare with the rose. Cinnamon tinted the apple smell.

He opened the box and the smell became irresistible. The next thing he knew the box was empty and crumbs were all over his chest. He was lying in bed and the clock had skipped ahead 25 minutes. He sighed. Escapes never lasted for long did they?

At least his stomach wasn’t growling. He was left alone with his thoughts, the only things that would never leave him alone. I can’t do this again. I won’t survive another hit like that. That thought overrode all others. Spitfire will not let me out of it. That thought too was impressed upon him. I could try and not go to the party, but the consequences will be... He knew all too well what might happen if he disobeyed a direct order like this one. It would be the start of the end of his career. It wouldn’t happen overnight but it would be the first rock in an avalanche. Spitfire would reprimand him, the tabloids would pick up on it, and from there all it would take would be another derby loss and he would be on his way out. Spitfire had little tolerance for bad press and even less for insubordination. He could argue all day that she had no business in his personal life but that just wasn’t the way she worked.

I have to choose one I have no hope of falling for. And with that the solution was obvious. He sighed and pulled out a fresh sheet of paper. He looked at the empty box which held the apple pie. It had a three apple emblem on it and the name of the manufacturer but no return address for Dash. He facehoofed, of course it wouldn’t be that easy. He took the box under his wing then donned a fresh trench coat and wide brimmed hat he had delivered yesterday. It was time for a little detective work.

~~~~~

Dash looked pleadingly at the stallion, grey with a dark mane. His blue eyes blinked at her query. He started to back up and Dash had a sinking feeling. He seemed to be looking past her. His cheeks grew a bit red. Maybe I have a shot, Dash thought to herself but did not break her expression.

“Excuse me! What did you just say?” Dash turned her head, a cream colored pegasus mare was standing behind her. Her eyes bored into Dash, restrained fury danced behind them.

“I just wanted to bring my friend to a party, is that so wrong?” The mare trotted around Dash, her nose in the air. Dash’s head and eyes followed her around until she stopped and stood next to her target. Very close to him, they were almost touching. He looked sheepishly at the mare next to him. A light bulb went off in Dash’s head. Uh oh.

“A friend? Really?” She turned to the stallion beside her, her smile dangerous. “Is this a good friend of yours, Lucky?”

At the sound of his name Lucky quickly recovered. “Uh no no no, this isn’t anything special” he stammered. He turned to Rainbow Dash, unable to meet Wildfire’s nuclear hot gaze. “I’m sorry but I can’t go with you.” The two trotted off into the market crowd as he gave his special somepony some extra special attention.

Dash took to the air searching for another target. This had been the fourth and each time she was shot down it got tougher to try again. She saw a tan colored earth stallion leaving the library and considered asking him. Maybe Twilight asked him, time for some recon. She was by his side in a flash with a toothy smile. He stopped short, and looked at her with surprise.

“Uh…were you always there?” He said as he put away a book titled "How to Improve Your Memory with Menomics". Dash shook her head.

“So, how ya been Caramel?” She put a wing around him and sidled up close. “Wouldja like to go to a party with me?” She put on her best smile.

“Oh that might be fun.” Dash’s heart skipped a beat. “But…um…I’m supposed to say something here…” Her heart skipped another beat. “I just can’t remember what my marefriend wanted me to say in this situation.” Dash’s heart died in her chest. “Well, uh, I don’t think I should go with you. I don’t think she would forget about it, or let me forget about it!”

“That’s-ok-I-got-to-go-bye-now.” Dash’s words were almost as fast as herself. She was in the air and away before anypony could see the wetness that was forming in her eye. She circled Ponyville twice before slowing down to search for another candidate. I’ve gotta find somepony, anypony!

The entrance to Sofa’s and Quills opened. It was a shop Dash had been inside exactly once to buy a sofa years ago. She recalled the proprietor was a well groomed stallion and sure enough there he was. He had a smile on his face which made his green eyes simply sparkle. He’ll do just fine. Dash looked him over, brown yet well groomed hair (meh), tan coat (nice), sofa and quill cutie mark (obviously), and flanks which…she couldn’t see as a pink mare with a daisy in her mane exited the shop behind him and obscured her view. He waited until she was next to him before closing the shop and trotting down the street together. Dash didn’t even try, their body language might as well have been a forcefield.

Dash hit her special cloud with too much speed, it almost broke it apart. Rainbow Dash sighed into the white cottony softness and squeezed her eyes shut, willing the pain in her chest to stop. It was the middle of the day but she wanted nothing more than to sleep, for this day to be over.

~~~~~

Their faces were different each time. They started young, and slowly got older. Each time the background was different, yet the same. It was Heart’s and Hooves day, she was in her second year of flight school. Or was it the third, or the fourth, or the fifth, or the sixth? Red, white, pink background colors. Couples smiling. She always seemed to be the one asking the question. The faces always shook and mouthed, “no.”

Every time the answer was given, that same night she was flying, it was the only thing that made her happy afterwards. The flight after her third year in school took her to the edge of Everfree and back. After her sixth year she took a circuit of Manehatten and back. After the last time, she flew until the land stopped and yielded to sea, beyond the breakers, beyond the horizon. She almost died, so exhausted she almost didn’t return to land before her wings gave out. Plummeting to the beach she hit the wet sand with nothing left. She lay there, the mournful cry of gulls the only company for what seemed like days. The sobbing had finally stopped when the sun touched the horizon and the cold tide rose to splash against her.

~~~~~

He entered the market on hoof, he didn’t want to risk using his wings and giving away his identity to anypony that decided to look up. His trench coat with its tall collar and hat seemed to be working so far. Luck smiled upon him, as he found a familiar orange earth pony with a Stetson selling apple pie in the market very easily. All he had to do was follow his nose and it brought him right to her. He stopped in front of her and his eyes shifted about the market. It was a bit slow in the market as it was not yet lunch time and most were still preforming their morning routine. The orange mare in front of him gave him a suspicious look.

“Can I help ya?” She tried to get a look at his face but Soarin just tilted his head down allowing the rim of his hat to cover his face. He produced the empty pie box and spoke without looking up.

“This is your stuff right?”

“Uh…I reckon it is. It’s just apple pie, not…somthin’ else.” Her eyes shifted about. It took him a moment to realize what this must look like.

“heh heh, I didn’t say it wasn’t.” Her expression did not change. He cleared his throat, “I just wanted to know if you can get a letter to the mare who bought this from you.” The relief she felt was almost palpable, but then another thought came to her.

“I know er’, but who’s askin’? Some kinda creepy stalker?” She narrowed her eyes at him. “Should I call the police?”

“Wait! No, I just want to give her a letter. I…” What could he say that would convince her he meant no harm? He didn’t think this all the way through and it was going south. “I’d like another pie, I’ll pay you double…triple, to deliver the letter and not open it or read it.” He produced the bits which did have the desired effect on the vendor.

She slid the bits into her bag carefully counting them, checking for counterfeits. Satisfied she placed a fresh apple pie into the empty box. She trotted around the cart to give it to him. “Alright I promise I will deliver the letter, I Pinkie Pie swear.” She did some very strange motions which culminated with a hoof in her eye. He didn’t understand any of that but it momentarily distracted him giving her time to swiftly buck the hat off of his head. She glared at him only for a moment before her eyes went wide, “Soarin?”

The name was like a dinner bell, others started looking in his direction. He thought fast, “Here’s the letter, thanks for the pie, gotta go!” He slapped the letter into her hoof, snatched the pie, and took wing before a crowd could form. Applejack looked on in surprise, standing in the market being stared at by everypony holding a sealed letter. She quickly tucked it away, no sense in drawing attention to it. Thank Celestia Rainbow doesn’t have some weirdo stalking her. Sometimes, it pays to be famous.

~~~~~

Rarity arrived at the front of the cart, eager to buy Applejack’s wares. The food was a bit low brow for her, but she always found bits to spend here and the Apple family always seemed to need them. It’s too easy being generous to a friend. “I’ll have…what’s this?” Rarity pointed at a sealed envelope peaking underneath one of the apple baskets.

“Oh, it’s a letter from-”

Suddenly Pinkie Pie burst from the bucket of apples. A bucket which could hold perhaps half her volume if you squinted just right, “FOREVER…” She crunched into an apple while staring at Applejack.

Rarity looked on with her mouth hanging open. While she did enjoy the latest gossip, she knew better than to cross Pinkie Pie. “You know what, never mind, I am sure it’s not important.” This seemed to satisfy the pink pony as a smile spread across her face.

“Uh…hey Pinkie could ya do me a favor?” Applejack glanced at the letter like it might explode. “I need ta find Rainbow Dash. It would help me keep my…promise.” At that Pinkie instantly perked up.

“Of course I’ll help you, let me just get warmed up.” Applejack completed the last transaction of the day and Rarity trotted off, eager to get away from Pinkie Pie who was doing some very odd stretches.

Pinkie continued to prepare for physical activity, although what kind only Pinkie Pie could say. She ensured her eyelids were flexible, her tail was swishy, and her legs wobbly. Applejack looked on but said nothing. Suddenly Pinkie turned to look at Applejack and said, “are you ready?”

“Ready fer what? Deadliftin’ weights with ma eyelids?”

“No silly to find Rainbow Dash, oh oh oh! Twitchy flank and tail! Lets go!” She bounced off down the main boulevard towards the edge of town. Applejack followed with the letter tucked under her Stetson. In less than ten minutes they arrived at a field when Pinkie started to bounce in a circle around a particularly boring patch of grass.

“Uh…sugercube? I still need ta find Rainbow Dash.” Applejack looked around and up, just to be sure. “I don’t see…”

“She’ll be here.” Pinkie Pie said matter-of-factly.

Applejack snorted and whispered under her breath, “I shoulda known better than to trust…”

THUD

Rainbow Dash slammed into the boring patch of grass, which made it significantly less boring. Applejack just smiled, how could I doubt Pinkie sense? Rainbow Dash groaned and looked up into the faces of her friends. Applejack picked her up and dusted her off, Dash looked terrible as if she had not slept in days.

“heh, I caught a little down draft.” Dash said with bits of grass still clinging to her face and mane.

Applejack pressed on regardless, “I got this here letter for ya sugercube, it’s from…an admirer.” She dared not say more with the pink one so close.

Dash felt horrible both physically and emotionally. But she perked up at that last word. Applejack’s smile grew wider, as speculation ran wild in her mind. But the bits in her saddle bag and Pinkie Pie prevented her from saying anything. Mostly Pinkie Pie. Dash tore open the letter on the spot like a hungry pony would tear into an apple. Applejack was curious and leaned in to get a look at the letter’s contents. Just then she felt herself being lifted off the ground, “what in tarnation!”

Pinkie Pie was lifting Applejack with a strange candy striped flying contraption. “I’ll give you a lift back to town AJ.” She said with a smile, “we wouldn’t want to break any…promises…and look at a letter that belongs to our good friend Rainbow Dash now would we?” She had a very dangerous edge to her voice but her smile was wider than ever.

Applejack’s ears went flat as she gulped. “uh…I reckon not.” Applejack said quietly as she floated away.

Rainbow Dash watched them go for a moment before turning back to the letter.

Rainbow Dash,

I will meet you inside of Sugercube Corner tomorrow. Wear something simple.

-Your date

She hugged the letter and smiled brightly. Maybe one of those stallions I asked changed his mind? She didn’t care, just the fact that somepony out there found her to be special was enough. She flew home, away from the beach, away from the breakers, and away from the setting sun.

~~~~~

The dreams just wouldn’t leave him alone.

They were at a fashion show, and Photofinish was there. There were so many lights, cameras, assistants, clothes, and shapely flanks that Soarin felt like it wasn’t real. Fleur had just finished her photo shoot wearing a white scarf with red stripes, like a candy cane. She was rubbing up against his left flank. She was so warm, and every time he caught a whiff of her scent he rolled his tongue around in his mouth as if he could taste her. Or maybe it was the wine. His head and mouth felt like they were full of cotton. The former because of her, the later because of his hangover from yesterday.

Photofinish had risen rapidly in the last year to become the premier photographer in the industry. In small part, Soarin liked to think, because of Fleur. Photofinish herself trotted up to the couple. “Ah ze lovers are close yes? You,” she pointed at Soarin, “make with the loving, you must make her shine!”

Fluer drew herself up at the words, “yeah, get us a drink Soarin.” His expression soured instantly. He trotted off to get a pair of drinks muttering under his breath about being a big shot Wonderbolt and not a fashionista’s assistant.

When he returned he found some other stallion next to her. And she was flirting with him, the cotton in his brain told him so. Photofinish was snapping pictures of the two of them while Soarin’s blood began to boil. He trotted towards them past a pair of chatting assistants, another aspiring photographer, and a table with a dozen movie posters. He glanced at the movie posters and saw the stallion who was next to her splashed across them. For some reason the posters made Soarin even more angry. “Ah yes, zis will be excellent for the movie magics” he could hear Photofinish say as she snapped more pictures.

Soarin ping ponged down the aisle of photo equipment toward them. The drinks he was carrying were magically empty and he curiously felt a burning sensation in this throat. When he reached them the cotton whispered to him what he should do. He smiled, his heart pounding in his chest. He put a hoof around Photofinish, “hey good lookin, how ya doin?” He swayed on his hooves while he glared at Fluer and her companion. ha, two can play at that little game.

The stallion just looked on a bit surprised, Photofinish even more so. Fluer looked at him the way you might look at a repulsive insect. The next thing he knew there was a stinging liquid running down his face. Apparently the second drink wasn’t so empty after all. He didn’t even remember giving it to her. He stumbled and fell, too woozy to stay standing. He looked up at their faces all having this sort of smirk using only one corner of the mouth. She laughed at him, “you’re pathetic, I never want to see you again.” With that she turned and walked away followed by the pop of photo bulbs.

The pictures appeared in the tabloids the next day, the headlines read, “Playboy Finishes Last Place.” It nearly ended his career, in more ways than one.

~~~~~

Outside it was snowing softly, little flakes of ice floating down to settle on everything. It wasn’t windy so the snow just drifted down to dust everything in a thin coat of white. There was a dull roar of the crowd outside, kept in check by numerous members of security. Occasionally a pony who actually belonged there and had an invitation squeezed past security and entered Sugercube Corner. Mr. and Mrs. Cake were in overdrive, the kitchen was well hidden but anypony that glanced inside quickly left them alone to their maelstrom of bread and sugar. Spitfire was in the center of the party, keeping an eye on her team and the guests, quick to keep everyone happy. Pinkie Pie was belting out a ridiculous song and dance number on a small stage, something about smiles. The fishnet stockings were not exactly the sort of thing that the Wonderbolts were used to, but several secretly enjoyed the change of scenery. Soarin was in the corner, nursing a drink and drawing disapproving looks from Spitfire.

The front door opened and he looked at the newcomer. No, not her, this one was a lavender colored unicorn with a…baby dragon? The little reptile was dressed in a tuxedo and top hat. Soarin had to keep his laughter in his chest. She glanced around, satisfied at what she saw as she took up a position near him with her own drink. The little dragon scampered away to join the party. “He’s cute, is that your date?” He had to lean close to her in order to be heard over the din of the party. Pinkie Pie entered the chorus and drowned out all other sounds.

“Yeah, to be honest I couldn’t find a date on short notice. I just hope I don’t embarrass myself in front of my friend or one of the Wond-” She finally set her eyes on him and immediately jammed a hoof in her mouth. Blush rose to her cheeks in seconds. Soarin felt sorry for her, he knew what it was like to have a hard time with dating.

“Don’t worry about it your secret is safe with me. Besides, I don’t have a much of a date either, I think I got stood up.” Soarin hated to admit it but the party was in full swing and he doubted there would be many more guests arriving. He was going to get a serious lecture from Spitfire, but that wasn’t the worst part. Looking at all the happy couples at the party while he stood off to the side alone, that hurt more than anything.

The door opened again and he forced himself to look up, there she is. She was wearing a white and red scarf, like a candy cane. She looked around but with so many ponies, sounds, and smells Soarin thought he could simply say nothing and get through the night without so much as another word. Spitfire shot him another look, and he knew he was going to pay for it later. He set the drink down, this is stupid, I should just go up to her and spend the evening with her. What’s the worst that could happen? I can’t fall in love with her, she just sees me as a Wonderbolt. Yeah, this can work out, drink a little, dance a little, go home, no biggie.

He waved to her and her eyes went wide when she saw him. She slalomed through the crowd never taking her eyes off of him, she again approached him like a small animal that might bolt at any second. “Uh, hi. I thought you didn’t want to see me anymore.”

“Yeah, well, maybe I was a little hard on you. I just wanted to have a nice evening, and I owe you one for saving my life. We’re even after this.” He wore a small smile but it didn’t reach his eyes. She was at his side looking like a kid in a candy store. Which wasn’t hard because she was in a candy store.

“Great, we can talk about flying!” They actually had a conversation that interested him. By the end of it his smile started to creep up his cheeks. Spitfire tossed him a wink when he glanced her way. Well at least that was one problem solved.

“Get us some drinks will you?” it came out of nowhere like a bolt of lightning on a clear day, the smile dropped from his face.

“Why, can’t you get your own drinks? What am I your assistant?” She leaned away from him as if she had been struck.

“No, I just thought…stallions should…never mind I’ll get us some drinks.” She started to weave through the crowd. Soarin smacked himself in the forehead. Idiot, not every mare is the same. Get that through your thick skull! He looked down at his glass, a single ice cube still melting at the bottom was all that remained, yet he felt clear as a bell. Why don’t I feel like I have cotton in my head?

Before he could finish the thought he heard a commotion on the other side of the room and looked up. His date was in a chase with the lavender colored mare, saying something about winning a bet. She had a look of glee on her face while the lavender mare shrunk away and mumbled something totally inaudible with the noise of the party. Rainbow Dash started to look around for something, something small and scaly. She looked under tables and between legs, the lavender mare blushing with downcast eyes. Pinkie Pie was telling jokes punctuated by rimshots. Dash looked under another table when she bumped into Fleetfoot. Fleetfoot stumbled and fell with a crash onto the punch bowl which launched across the room directly onto Soarin’s head with laser like precision. All he could see was the distorted colors of the party through the glass, all he could hear was laughter, and all he could feel was the cold sensation of dripping punch and horrible memories.

He sat on his haunches his breath shallow, he just wished this night to be over. All I need now is… and there it was, the unmistakable pop of a photograph. He closed his eyes, I can’t do this again. I give up - I’ll quit the Wonderbolts and live alone on a cloud far away. At least I won’t have to feel this way ever again.

Suddenly the punch bowl was lifted off of his head. Rainbow Dash was there, her brows furrowed, “Sorry are you ok?” He looked at her wishing the familiar cotton in his head would tell him what to do, but right now everything was clear. Crystal clear in fact, he could see every detail of her. Her multicolored mane, her cyan coat, her flanks…no no no, eyes up, I don’t need that, I just need to leave and never return.

He sat there frozen, looking pathetic and dripping with punch. Several ponies at the party snickered at him, which was not lost on Rainbow Dash. She whirled on them with her wings flared, putting herself in a protective pose, “next pony who laughs at him is going to get a free punch bowl as a door prize!” The room was quiet for a moment, then Pinkie Pie started in on another song which grabbed everyone’s attention. Rainbow Dash turned to him and pulled him upstairs grabbing a few napkins and a lantern with a dying candle.

The sound of the party was much quieter, muffled by the carpet and door which closed with a soft click. Dash had never been upstairs, but figured the Cakes wouldn’t mind if she had a little alone time, besides they were busy. The room was very dark, but a window allowed a bit of starlight to enter revealing a small nightstand. She pulled him towards it setting the light down. She began to clean him off, the care she showed touched something in him.

No…no no NO! He swallowed hard. This is impossible, this can’t happen, I won’t let it happen.

His expression must have betrayed something. “I told you, I am not gonna leave you in the cold, I’ll always be a fan.” She continued to clean him, working her way past his face, mane, and neck. His heart was beating very fast. He could see every hair on her, every twitch of her eyes, feel every touch. He closed his eyes trying to calm himself.

He could still feel her drying him out with the napkin, moving lower on his body. It sent his heart and mind racing. He opened his eyes and drank her in. It was getting darker, the little candle flame was guttering out. They were so close, all he had to do was lean in. The room was enveloped in darkness.

~~~~~

He was flying down, as fast as he could, the white unicorn was screaming. If she hit the ground it was lights out for sure at this height. He was close and then everything went black.

The next thing he knew he was flying through the air, but he wasn’t moving. He looked up and saw a rainbow colored mane. They were flying so fast. He saw her face, and for the first time in a long time, he felt like he had a clear head, as if the hoof to his head knocked the cotton out. Despite the pain in his eye he could smell something like cinnamon or peppers.

~~~~~

Never in his life had his mind felt so clear. His heart was beating so fast, and he could feel hers beating even faster. She was so warm, like there was a fire inside of her. I love this feeling he thought, and it occurred to him that everything was still crystal clear. He saw only her outline in the dark, but he could feel every heartbeat, he could smell her, taste her. She tasted sweet but slightly spicy, he rather liked it that way.

It took her by surprise, but it was perfect. She couldn’t see anything but she didn’t need to. She closed her useless eyes. This is the most awesome day ever, I don’t ever want it to end. She pulled him closer. He smelled like punch and clouds.

Neither could tell how long they were there in the dark. It was just the two of them, without words, without a past, without memories that tore at them, it was just now.

Suddenly the room was flooded with light. Soarin and Dash broke apart and each fell on their haunches. Their faces were flush, their wings spread, and they breathed as if they had just finished a marathon. The scarf lay on the floor in between them. Pinkie Pie stuck her head into the room. “Time for…hey watcha doing in here?” She bounced into the room. “You didn’t wake them did you?” Soarin swallowed again, silently cursing the Pink one.

Dash looked about the room trying to regain her composure. There were a lot of pastel colors in here, a chest of toys, a crib…wait a crib? Sitting in the crib were two foals, looking at Soarin and Dash with unreadable expressions. Each had a pacifier in their mouth but neither had made a sound or even moved. Pinkie Pie bounced up to the crib and looked in. “Well that’s odd, I guess they were already awake, they would have cried otherwise.” She glanced under the crib, good I have a bag of flour just in case. She popped the pacifiers out and was about to lay them down again when they both started to clap their hooves and giggle.

“What? You want to play? Sorry it isn’t play time…” Pinkie said sadly, but brightened up and started to laugh at the two foals. “No Pound, that’s for mares other than your sister!” Pound was making kissing motions toward his sister and she was laughing and stretching her neck back like a fainting movie star. Pumpkin continued to look at Soarin and Dash, laughing. “Don’t foals do just the silliest things?” Pinkie said without a hint of sarcasm. She laughed again as the two foals tumbled into the blankets of their crib still laughing, “oh, Pound, you’re going to be a heartbreaker in school!”

“Heh, I never could figure foals out. A great mystery, right Soarin?”

“Uh yeah, a great mystery. Uh, thanks for drying me off, should we return to the party?” They left the scarf behind, forgotten, finally.

~~~~~

He was still nursing his drink, but he didn’t care. The drink was unimportant, Spitfire’s glances in his direction were unimportant, the journalists outside were unimportant. He slowly took a deep breath, he wanted to remember everything. He could feel the mare at his side, under his wing, her warmth, her heartbeat, her breath which tickled his neck and promised so much more. He never wanted to lose this feeling of clarity ever again.

Dash nuzzled his neck, drinking in his scent. As long as he kept her close with his wing, she felt no reason to move away from him. He wasn’t very soft, being mostly athletic muscle, but she rather liked it that way. For her, the rest of the party was taken up by the scent of punch and clouds.

~~~~~

Dear Rainbow Dash,

I would like to see you again, no I HAVE to see you again. It will be some time before we are in Ponyville again, but maybe we can meet somewhere else. I will be back in Canterlot in five weeks, please tell me you’ll meet me again. I think about you all the time.

your Wonderbolt,

Soarin

Dash read the letter again, this was the fifth time today. The Wonderbolts had left the morning after the party. They hadn’t separated until it was time for the team to leave, and Spitfire had to separate them. Dash suspected Spitfire had delayed their departure just for the two of them but time marched on. They never got any time alone either, as the Wonderbolt’s schedule allowed for no down time. She smiled and read the letter again. She reached for a quill and paper.

Dear Soarin,…