• Published 24th Nov 2012
  • 1,324 Views, 50 Comments

What's Out There? - Sharky White



Hi! I'm Star Watcher. Do you know where I belong?

  • ...
6
 50
 1,324

Chapter One

"Are you kidding me?! He could never make it on his own! Especially not... like he is..." My mother shouts at my dad, dropping her voice to mutter the last few words. I roll my eyes, she never really figured out how thin the wall between our bedrooms was.

"Well, I think he should get to try. After all, we can't expect to keep him locked up like he is forever! If we don't let him go, he'll just leave on his own." My dad counters. I smile a little, he always had my back.

"Do you know how ponies would react?! Don't you remember how we reacted?!" Mom was getting angry, that didn't bode well for me or dad.

"Of course I do sweetie, but we got over it. I'm sure he can get others to like him, he'll be fine. After all, he may be different, but he's kind and smart. Nopony will mistake him for a monster or something like that." Mom pauses for a bit. That meant she didn't quite know how to reply. Dad had her on the ropes now.

"Well... No, no! Forget it! He's staying. I don't want him to go out and get himself hurt and lost!" Mom shut down the argument firmly. I flinch, there was no way dad could get through to her now. I roll over in my bed and sniffle a little.

"C'mon honey, he's been here 18 years..."

"Scotch, I said no!" Mom shouts. I could hear her stomp over to their bed and jump in. My dad sighs. I mimic his sigh and roll over further to smoosh my face into my pillow. I let out a small scream, it wasn't fair. I had heard other colts and fillies playing off in the distance my whole life. I never got to join them. I had heard of 'school', but my parents made me learn at home. I had memorized every single detail of our home. Every nook and cranny was etched into my brain, just waiting to be replaced with memories of the outside world.

"Well... I guess I can't do anything about it..." I muttered into my pillow. It wasn't so bad here I suppose. My parents were always nice, I had all the food I could need... I couldn't shake the feeling that I was always missing something though. I gave another sigh. Before I knew it, I found myself falling into an uneasy, reluctant sleep with my clothes still on.


****************


"Star! Wake up!" My dad hisses, suddenly shaking me from my sleep. I jump out of bed quickly, slamming my head into the ceiling. I crouch back down as fast as I had jumped up, rubbing my head and squinting one eye in pain. I look at several butter-yellow unicorns as they whirl around in front of me. My vision quickly returned to normal and I was left looking at my dad.

"What?" I hiss back, rubbing my head in annoyance. Suddenly some saddlebags are tossed into my lap.

"Son, you're leaving." My dad informs me quickly. I look up to him in shock and almost burst into nervous laughter.

"L-leaving?"

"Yeah. You wanted to go, and you're going. Your mom is out cold, and I'm getting you out of here. I'm probably going to sleep on the couch for the rest of my life for this, but it'll be worth it."

"D-d-dad?"

"C'mon! You've been asking for this for years! I moved out of the house when I was fourteen. I think it's about time you finally got to see something other than the walls of this house and the stars in your window. I would love to be going with you... to show you some things and help you around. Toffe would never let that happen though."

"Really? Y-you're letting me go?"

"Quit asking questions and just leave! I packed all your favorite books, a bunch of food, and some pictures of us just in case you miss us."

"What about my clothes?" My dad rolls his eyes.

"Ugh, I have no idea why you insist on wearing those all the time..."

"It just--"

"Feels right, I know. Look, there isn't any more room in the bags. You need to get going now! That bump you made might've woken your mother! Now, be careful, be smart, and be understanding. Not everypony out there will react positively to you. I want you to just be patient with them and be yourself. If something goes wrong and you need to use magic to defend yourself or something, dont hesitate."

'T-this is all so sudden... Shouldn't we wait for mom to agree?"

"Look, unless you want to be stuck here until we pass away, you need to go!" Dad started butting his head against me, pushing me towards the door. I took the hint and started trotting on my own. We soon reach the front door, and I reach out to the knob with my strange hooves. I had seen mom and dad twist this knob and trot out on their own many times, but this was the first time I would ever do the same thing. My dad gives me a gentle nudge and I force myself to twist the knob and push the door open. I'm met with a cold gust of wind and complete darkness.

"Now son... Just remember, even though I'm not really your dad... I love you with all my heart. Your mother does too, and if you can't make things work out here... please come right back home. I'll welcome your mother's 'I told you so's just as warmly as I'll welcome you, ok?"

"T-thanks dad... Bye..." I reply nervously. I step outside, and pause. I stand up all the way, cautious to avoid the roof I knew would come. It didn't. For the first time in my life, I was able to reach my full height. I look down at my dad and he gives me a brave smile. Then he closes the door on me, effectively seperating me from my entire life up to this point. I took a few deep breaths and tried not to scream. I was lost now. It was cold, even through the ragged clothing my mother had made. The ground was covered in grass, which I saw all the time. I had never felt it though. Suddenly, I heard my mother's voice in the house.

"Star?!" I heard her shout. I had an urge to run back to the house and fling myself back into my room. I could barely feel it though. There was an even greater urge to leave. I turned and started walking away as fast as I could. Eventually I managed to get my limbs to move faster, and I wasn't walking anymore. I believe this was called 'galloping'. I couldn't do it in the house, but it felt... good. Also hard. My hindlegs began to burn, my breathing became harsh and forced, I felt lightheaded. It didn't matter though. Because...

"I'm free!" I whoop. I keep running. My heart raced, my body ached, and it was all glorious. Eventually I fall flat on the ground, unable to move from sheer exhaustion. I brush my legs against the grass I had landed in. It was soft... and wet. Dew, it had to be dew. I had read about dew, but it was much more cool and pleasant than it was made out to be. I manage to lift my head and look around. I see what I can only identify as 'trees' all around me. Large cylindrical chunks of wood, like what my home was made of, but unrefined. Judging by the amount of them, I guess I had collapsed in a forest. I couldn't just stay in a forest, I'd have to find a town. Luckily, dad had packed my favorite books, and one of my favorite books was actually more of a collection of maps. I would always pick places on it and try to imagine what they were like. I sift through the contents of the saddlebags, and eventully pull out my 'Big Book of Maps'. "Not the most imaginiative title..."

"Hoo!" Something erupts into action near me, disturbing the 'leaves' on the trees. I struggle not to scream my head off in surprise. After a few more deep breaths, I manage to return my focus to my map.

"Let's see... closest town... Ponyville." I mutter to myself after a long look at the world map. It was north, and after a quick star check, I realize I'm already heading that direction. With a few more minutes of self-preparation, I stand up and continue on the path to my dreams. I was finally going to do...

Something!