• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 2,741 Views, 78 Comments

The Meek and the Brave - Rocinante



After Soarin has a bad accident Fluttershy finds her self caring for the injured Pegasus

  • ...
8
 78
 2,741

Coffee is for Closers

Soarin managed laze about the house for half an hour before cabin fever set in. While his injuries made doing anything more than walking slowly impossible, he could at least go outside and get some air. To say she had a lot of pets was an understatement. They had been an ever present background inside the house. Outside the home, it was a comedic scene of animals that had no business near each other. A sleeping bear being used as a bed by a family of hedgehogs summed up the experience.

Pacing about the grounds, he found a hive of song birds near a creek. It was a lovely view and the water and bird song made it all the more tranquil. It was a perfect place to lay down and think. He had just gotten his legs tucked under himself when a white rabbit appeared before him. He had seen this one earlier, Fluttershy doted on it a bit more than the others. It was an expressive little creature. While it was a running joke among the Wonderbolts that he could turn the most vicious pet into a wiggling puppy, the gift to speak with the creatures was not among his talents. By whatever means though, this rabbit had a gift for projecting even complicated ideas by way of body language and sighs.

“...”

“I’m just another wounded bird she’s taking care of.”

“...”

“What!? No, I did no such thing.”

“...”

“Well yes, but it was totally innocent.”

“...”

“I would never do that to somepony. And I’m not sure how I feel about getting called promiscuous by a rabbit.”

“......”

“Sorry! Sorry, I shouldn’t stereotype.”

“...”

“Sure, but mares like that aren’t single”

“...”

“She is?”

“...”

“OK, fair enough Pops. I’ll be on my best behavior.”

He watched the rabbit nodded in satisfaction and bolt into the tall grass. That had been a strange conversation. One part protective father, one part setup.

- - -

Fluttershy had managed damage control with Pinkie. She had gotten her on the topic of a get well party, and that seemed to satisfy the Earth pony’s desire to do something proactive. Still, it was nice to get the confession off her chest, talk it out a bit with somepony.

Of course, Pinkie intended for her to be the date of guest of honor, but she could put that out of her mind for the week until the party was scheduled. And she would need to tell him that he was having a party held for him. Though, she should mention that pretty soon, because he would probably want to get a room as soon as he could walk, and she might not see him again after that. That’s if he hadn’t already gotten sick of her place and just paid for a wagon into town. Or for that matter, a train back to Canterlot. Then she would have to break the news to Pinkie that she had no guest of honor. Though she knew Pinkie would feel more bad for her than the loss of the party. Which means that she would be on the receiving end of a cheer-up party, if not another one of Pinkie’s blind date setups. Those always go so miserably. But, she really does...

“Hey Fluttershy. What’s wrong?” A sharp voice above her, snapped her out of the runaway train of thought.

”Oh, hay Dash. I was just thinking...”

Her foalhood friend landed with a plop beside her. “How’s your Wonderbolt?” There was a implication of something in her voice. The turn of phrase wasn’t lost on Fluttershy, but she had no idea how to respond to it. Had Pinkie already told her she had a crush on him? It hadn’t been five minutes since she left the bakery. No, Pinkie Pie had promised to keep her confession a secret and nopony keeps a secret like Pinkie.

“He had a rough night, but he’s a lot better this morning.” she said, answering only the obvious side of the question. Grasping at a chance to change the subject away from herself “I was surprised you left with the Doctor. Everything all right?”

Dash scoffed at the question with a smile. “Yea, I just wanted to let you and flyboy have some alone time. Three's a crowd ya know.”

The gears inside Fluttershy’s mind spun apart. “YOU WHAT!?”

Rainbow Dash watched her friend’s face cycle through emotions. It had started with anger but had currently settled on confusion. Dash was scared she had really offended her. Letting out a nervous chuckle, she scrambled for the best apology. Before her lips could form a coherent sound, Fluttershy interrupted her.

”Thank you” Fluttershy meeked. Her posture having returned to her normal shy, half curled-in pose.

Dash didn’t waste time getting out a “You’re welcome” and throwing a hoof over her friends shoulder, she poised a confident expression before it sank in “What what!?”

“He’s been nothing but a gentlecolt to me and he’s really cute” her voice bubbled.

Dash slumped with a tsk. “He’s Soarin. He’s not cute. Hot, yes. Handsome, sure. Not cute.”

“But he had the cutest face when he was preening me” Fluttershy pouted.

Dash coughed violently before getting words to come out “He preened you?”

Fluttershy pulled under her own mane a bit. She hadn’t really thought about how intimate the act was normally considered. It had all happened so naturally. “I had to preen his wings, so I could wrap them... and he just started to work on mine at the same time.”

Dash’s face took a lavender hue as she again froze for a moment. A distant gaze and slow blinking, tattled on her vivid imagination. Hugging her friend “I’m so proud of you.” she squeaked. Stepping back from the embrace she had a nervous fidget about her. “I’m... going to go find Mac now. If you see Applejack tell her to stay clear of the east barn.” And with that she was gone in a chromatic streek.

- - -

Her weeks harvest sold and groceries for a few days in her saddlebag, Fluttershy headed back home. She was lost in thought as she neared the little bridge that marked the front of the land. She was jolted out of the trance be the call of “Welcome home.” She jumped slightly at the interruption, but what she saw replaced any fright she had with giggles.

Soarin sat in a thick patch of clover near the stream with his legs tucked under him. He was being held firmly in place by a mother deer, who was diligently grooming the top of his head. A spotted fawn laid curled up against him. “I’m afraid I have been adopted. She will not take no for an answer.” he said with a faux air of indignation.

Fluttershy couldn’t stop bubbling laughter even as she spoke to the deer. “Thank you Ro’ for taking care of him for me. I’ll take it from here.”

The doe nodded at the yellow Pegasus with a whistle sound. Looking back at the tangle of mane she had been working on, she seemed to shrug as if saying ‘I’ll fix that later’. Passing her attention over the stallion, she nudged the sleeping fawn; bringing it to its hooves. She gave Fluttershy a departing sound before the mother and child ambled into the hedgerow.

Fluttershy stood over the prone Wonderbolt in the void left by her deer friend. She was watching Ro’ disappear into the woods when she felt eyes upon her. Looking down she found Soarin looking up at her. Their muzzles were were close enough that their breath mingled. Her eyes locked onto the line of his jaw and mouth. Something in her chest throbbed with desire to lunge forward.

By force she tore her eyes away from his lips and looked into his eyes. Her gaze snapped him out of whatever he was lost in and he returned her attention. The eye contact was far too intense for Fluttershy, she had to find a way to break the tension she felt.

“Did you eat lunch?” she blurted out, looking away from the source of her nervousness.

///

Saorin was lost in the mare’s nervous smile. If his cracked ribs didn’t make him reconsider every movement he would have tackled her right there. But, that was probably for the better. The last thing he wanted to do was alienate the gentle mare that had been so kind to him.

The sudden question jolted him out of his fixation. “Yea, Earth pony special.” he said happily.

She did not quite turn to face him before letting out a “Huh?”

He pointed to a nearby swaf of cropped clover “Clover off the root and water from the stream. If ya want to heal like an Earth pony, eat like an Earth pony.”

The Pegasus mare showed a little surprise at the comment. “Oh. Not many Pegasus will eat off the root.”

The Wonderbolt looked at the clover beneath him. “Yea, I dated an Earth pony for a while. She always insisted that eating off the root would make you heal faster. It’s a habit now.”

“Well she was right. It’s very healthy.” the mare interjected.

“And tasty.” he added with a grunt as he rose to his hooves.

Following her back into the house he kept her company while she put away the groceries. It was an awkward silence that Fluttershy ended up breaking. “Pinkie is throwing a get well party next Wednesday... That is if you’re still in town”

“Can’t think of a better place to be” he replied without thinking. He really hadn’t thought about where he would live for the next two months. His home in Cloudsdale would be far too awkward and the Wonderbolts’ facility would be a lonely place this time of year. If it was good food and fresh air he wanted, nothing compared to Ponyville. So, there wasn’t really any reason to leave, and one very cute reason to stay.

Fluttershy started to ask when he would want to leave and find a room in town. But she couldn’t find a way to ask, without making it sound like she wanted him to leave. Deciding she would just wait and see, she left the question unvoiced. “Good, I’ll let her know then. You don’t mind do you? The party that is.”

“I not going to be doing much dancing, but it sounds like fun.”

- - -

Fluttershy got up from the table to go light the lamps in the house. It had finally gotten too dark to see properly without them. Leaning back from the table Soarin rubbed his stomach. He was still full from the meal an hour ago. Looking at the cards in his hand he wished he was spry enough to peek at the ones she had left face down, without getting caught. She had beaten him three out of four so far.

“I turned down the guest room for you.” She told him as she settled back at the table.

The past few hours had gone so quickly. Ever since she had gotten back from the market they had passed the time talking about one thing or the other. Dinner had turned into a game of cards, and now the sun had set. “I’m sorry. I didn’t realize how late it had gotten. I didn’t mean to impose on you for another night.”

She gave him one of the little smile that he found so beautiful. “It’s ok. I don’t mind. It gets lonely out here sometimes.” She mused as she laid some cards face up on the table; that made four out of five.

- - -

The guest room was on the third floor of the house. Though his ribs protested the incline, they did so less than they had earlier in the day. The hot shower he had stopped for on the second floor had made the whole trip worthwhile. His caretaker had taken his wing wraps off before leaving him to shower; the hot pounding water had felt wonderful.

Now he stood in the cozy room overlooking the back side of the property. Fluttershy was already in the room when he came in, she was straightening something in the corner. “Lets get your wings wrapped again so you don’t sleep on them wrong.” she chimed.

As she took to tucking and binding his appendages he noticed she was placing a towel between the folds of his wings. “What’s that for?” he asked.

“You’re still a bit damp. They’ll wick up the moisture overnight.” she lectured without breaking her concentration.

With the task done Fluttershy gestured towards two glasses on the night stand. “You didn’t seem tired. So I made you a nightcap” Passing one to Soarin she took a sip from her own. “It’s mix Berry Punch taught me”

He knew the name, she was the premier winemaker and distiller that lived in Ponyville. It was an art few ponies approached. The memory of the harsh tincture that he had been given the night before made him pause and examine the cocktail. It smelled sweet of mint and malt. A hesitant taste reminded him of the mint muddle she had given him to wash down the medicine, but there was a caramel malt flavor that accompanied it. A supple burn in his nose told him this was far stronger than it let on.

Fluttershy had settled on the corner of the bed to sip at her drink. It was far sweeter than she normally made for her nightcap. It was good though, she knew it was something he would like. She had no idea what she was doing right now, she was caught in a string of actions that she couldn’t quite justify.

A bit of alcohol before bed was her normal routine, much to Rarity’s chagrin. Her friend insisted that it was a bad habit and a sign of some other problem. But, Fluttershy found no harm in a glass of something strong before going to bed. It quieted her mind and made for dreamless sleep. Offering her restless guest a drink was also perfectly normal. It was a tasty treat that would let him sleep better, heal faster.

But why had she brought both drinks into his room? It was if she was trying to get her self in trouble. She was sipping from her glass lost in thought when the stallion spoke.

“Are you trying to get me drunk?” he asked with a laugh. “This has some buck to it.”

“It’s just two jiggers of distilled wine in it. My normal bedtime drink” she replied to the jest. Give or take a small amount it was true. This was an idle amount of alcohol to her.

Soarin looked wide eyed at the drink. ‘That’d plaster me to the floor!’ he thought. Taking a long sip of the drink, he watched the mare work on hers. She had already put down half the glass. He had no intention of drinking that much, while she was definitely on a mission to the bottom.

Something about her struck him as wounded suddenly. She was a gentle creature, but everything he had seen up to now told him she had an inner strength that few could match. Taking his glass with him he slid closer the the plaintive creature. “You ok?” he asked.

Clutching her drink she gave a smile that held none of the magic that pulled his heart. “Just thinking” she told him.

Taking a last pull from his own drink to savor the flavor, he removed the glass from her hooves and set both the drinks on a dresser. She was giving him a bewildered look when he returned to sitting besides her on the bed. “So, tell me how you met Ro’” he asked the dazed mare.

She perked up at the prompt for conversation. “Oh, it was a few years ago. She had gotten lost...” He pulled his hooves under him as he listened to a story of a small adventure with a lost doe. He was amazed at her willingness to risk herself for others. With a little prompting she segwayed from that story into another one. He was afraid that the liquor was going to leave her drunk, but he soon figured his head was swimming a bit more that hers; though it had definitely loosened her tongue a bit.

He had started to doze off a bit, against his will, when he noticed a long silence; she had fallen asleep between words. She laid limp at the foot of the bed with her head between her hooves. His wings strained at the cloth binding them to his chest, instinct wanted him to place a wing over her. Instead he just laid beside her and let himself fall asleep.

- - -

Fluttershy awoke to her internal clock. Cracking her eyes open she found a wall of blue, Soarin’s back was just inches from her face. His warmth was so close, yet so far. She yearned to press into his muscled back and take in the warmth, but he might as well have been miles away. Sliding onto the floor, her heart hitting the ground with her hooves, she left him sleeping as she went about her morning chores.

She was mostly through with her morning rounds when her guest came out to greet her. “How are you feeling?” she asked with her nursing tone.

“Better. Still hurt though.” He paused a moment to consider his own state. “Would it be ok if I stayed one more night?” His voice trailed off.

Her heart fluttered at the question and it was all she could do to keep her wings and hooves from telegraphing the rippling emotion. “Sure.” she chimed “No problem. I’ll make breakfast in a bit. You should stay off your hooves.” A mothers tone crept into the last bit.

Fluttershy passed the day with idle housework and tending to her animals. Always keeping her ward just in sight. Comfortable silence punctuated with casual conversation. She could tell that was getting fidgety after lunch. So, she found some small tasks around the house to keep him busy. She giggled at how happy he was to have something to do. It reminded her a of how much Rainbow hated being still.

Another dinner was shared between them and the sunlight again began to fade. Fluttershy found herself sitting on her haunches next to the stallion, who laid on his side. They were engaged in the awkward conversations, that hopeful lovers, afraid to confess their hearts, revel in; sharing little secrets, one at a time.

The late hour finally registered to her as she tended her brief nightly ritual of lighting a few lanterns and pouring a drink. “You want something to drink?” she called for across the room.

“Coffee. Black” he responded. It wasn’t the answer she was expecting. But, she wasn’t one to question a pony’s choices.

Placing the hot cup in his hooves and sitting her nightcap on the table in front of them, she sat back on her haunches next to the stallion. She watched him blow across the cup and take a long gentle sip before placing it besides her tumbler, half full with a thin amber liquid.

He hadn’t fully pulled his hoof back when she went to reach for her own drink. The two hooves passed in opposite directions for a moment. The passing was interrupted abruptly when the larger hoof intercepted the smaller one halfway into the motion.

She watched as her hoof was enveloped in a strong fetlock and pulled away. Pulled towards the chest of the stallion next to her, her balance went with the abducted limb, causing her to tip over. The little fall was accelerated when a second foreleg wrapped around her withers and shoulder. She landed against his side, curled half on top of him and half spooned inside his barrel. A foreleg pressed her close to a beating chest and another ran beneath her head and held her hoof.

Frozen, she waited with bated breath for the next action. When seconds passed with no further actions, she wasn’t sure if she was glad or disappointed. Catching her breath she relaxed into the embrace, staring at the crook of the foreleg that she found her head laying on. She felt the firm muscle that held her relax just a bit as she gave in to the embrace.

Long moments passed to total silence. The stillness only broken by subtle movements of two hooves exploring each other without giving up their hold. After a time she felt his other hoof lift from her shoulder, only to return to her on her brow. With a gentle touch it swept her mane from her face and laid in behind her ear. The hoof didn’t quite seem content with its work though. It traced and retraced the lines of her brow, ear and neck. She closed her eyes to enjoy the gentle attention.

A slight shift from the stallion that held her jolted her awake. She had dozed off, though she was sure for only a few moments. The caressing hoof had gone still, finding a job of helping his other hoof hold her. She stretched and moved a bit, rolling slightly on her back, the forelegs never giving up their hold on her. Looking at the stallion’s face, he was so close it was hard for her eyes to focus on him. When he met her eyes, their breaths mingled again. This time she had no thought of restraint. Her neck pushed her muzzle forward across the small space between them.

When her lips found his, she brushed the two together before tilting her head and giving him a proper kiss. It was a short tender kiss that sent her heart into spasms that stole her breath. She felt him chase her when she pulled away, every bit of his expression begged for more contact. Her heart roared at her and demanded passion. Conscious thought left her as she snaked a foreleg around his neck and pressed in for another kiss.

Her lips struggled to explore the mouth pressed against hers, the hard enamel of teeth invited her tongue to join the exploration. The teeth parted and a warm damp tongue found her own. Firm forelegs shifted around her redoubling their embrace. Somewhere deep in her mind she knew she was clutching at him just as tight, twining thick mane around her hoof.

Racing pulse and passion finally robbed her of more breath than she could part with, pulling back she gasped for air. She felt the stupid smile smeared across her face, but didn’t care. She could only hope that it looked as pleasant as the one Soarin wore. He was breathing just as hard and his eyes were locked onto hers with a wild energy.

She made to lean forward again, but he slowed her. “We should pace ourselves” he panted. Her senses scrambled to find hidden meaning in the comment. A loving peck of a kiss snapped her back into the now. “Lets get some sleep. We can talk in the morning”

He was afraid to rush things, she found solace in that. With a shaky voice she managed to steel herself enough to ask what she had been afraid to the night before. “Would you like to sleep in my bed again?” nervously considering her words she added, “Just sleep. Well, and snuggle.”

His wild eyes were replaced with a dopey grin. “Yea, I’d like that.” With a little nudge he motioned for her to lead the way. Her house felt like a dreamscape as he followed her into her room. He was ever the gentlecolt as he slid between the sheets with her, pulling her tight when she rolled to lay her head on his barrel. The drum of his heart sent her quickly to sleep.

Elsewhere

Applejack shucked her hat and saddlebags by the door. It had been a long hard day, the sun had set an hour ago and she was just now getting in. She found the family room quiet, but not empty. Big Mac sat in the corner with a dumb smile on his face, reading a book and drinking that cider of his, that he only brought into the house when he had either a very bad day, or a very good one. “What ya’ readn’?” she asked.

Mac had a caught in the act look for just a moment before shrugging and silently handing the book over so she could read the title herself. ‘Preening and wing massage for the non-Pegasus’