• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 1,116 Views, 11 Comments

Answering the Call - Sigil Flare



Spitfire is sent to collect the Element Bearer's to come to Equestria's rescue once more.

  • ...
8
 11
 1,116

Chapter 9

  "Okay i think I've got it" said Rainbow Dash panting from exertion She'd been giving it her all for about 8 hours straight. She'd been practicing with the Wonderbolts for four years and never had to work this hard. She just hoped that she was able to keep up with her mentor. He may be blind but he was incredibly agile.
  
  "Good then show me what you've got" said Gear egging her on with a hoof He was quite impressed with the sheer amount of determination Rainbow Dash had put into this training session. He had expected her to pass out from exhaustion about 2 hours ago. "Maybe this has something to do with her elemental alignment?" he thought to himself
  
  Rainbow Dash steadied herself on her back hooves taking a deep breath to stabilize herself. When she'd first been shown this she asked "why two hooves?" Steam Gear had explained by using the muscles in your back while standing up you can put more force behind your punch. She drew her hoof back and positioned her other in a defensive position.
  
  "Good form" complimented Gear doing a stance of his own His was different however. He was on four hooves, with his left front hoof raised slightly his other hooves spread out equally for balance and stability.
  
  Rainbow Dash threw a quick jab feeling the extra power her upright position gave her as it whizzed past Steam Gear's head catching some of his mane. Using her wings she took off just as Steam Gear launched his raised hoof towards her legs to trip her. Using the momentum from take off she did a flip and brought a back leg down on Steam Gears head.
  
  Using both front hooves to block the kick and grunting in the strain from doing so, Steam Gear wrapped his hooves around it and stood up spinning Rainbow Dash around in the air. As he pulled back a hoof for a well-placed punch however, the spinning pegasi stuck out a wing at a 45 degree angle altering her spin just enough to get a hoof flying towards her opponent.
  
  "Nice job" replied Gear as his hoof met with Rainbow Dash's he jumped backwards as she hit the floor "Countering that spin was no easy task"
  
  "I've done a lot of tricks that involve spinning" said Rainbow Dash ruffling her wings "It's all about timing and momentum. With the fulcrum of my wing I was able to alter the direction of the spin slightly. Simple as that"
  
  "For those of us without wings Rainbow it's quite a sight" said Twilight trotting up to her marefriend She looked at Steam Gear and added "We've reached Las Pegasus"
  
  "Then this training session is over" said Gear nodding acknowledgment "Let's get up on deck"
  
   "Rusty!" screamed Spitfire from down the hall "Get up here fast your going to want to see this!"
  
  Once the four reached the deck of the Albatross, they were greeted to a vision of horror. Las Pegasus was on fire and slowly falling out of the sky.
  
  "What happened?!" yelled Rainbow Dash
  
  "I don't know" answered Fluttershy an expression of sheer terror on her face "it just exploded"
  
  "Cities don't just explode Fluttershy" replied Twilight "Who could have done this?"
  
  "Erebus" growled Gear angrily "He knows we're coming after him. Guess he didn't want to wait for us to bring the fight to him" He ran up to the rudder and turned on a collision course with Las Pegasus.
  
  "Your going to ram it!?" yelled Rainbow Dash In the nick of time Steam Gear heaved right skimming the side of the falling city. Fang tossed an anchor over the side and hooked it on one of the buildings that were still standing.
  
  "Every pony listen up" Gear said in a commanding tone "I'd say we have about an hour before the cloud holding this place up melts through. Let's get in there and see what we can do to help. Be careful if this is Erebus's work, there are bound to be some very un friendly tourists"
  
  "Rusty is right" agreed Spitfire in similar tone of voice "Twilight Rainbow Dash. Fluttershy Fang. You are teams now stick together and watch each others backs"
  
  "Take these" said Gear tossing them small metallic devices. They realized them as watches. "Keep an eye on your time you only have a little under an hour to be back here or you'll fall out of the sky with this city"
  
  As the four friends charged into the burning city, going in two different directions, Spitfire looked up at Steam Gear. He had a blank look on his face. In his hooves he was holding a long metallic cane.
  
  "We're going in too right?" asked Spitfire gesturing at the burning city
  
  "Go ahead" said Gear ushering her to depart "Look after them for me. I have some unfinished business to take care of." With that Spitfire launched into the sky and was lost from view.
  
  "Erebus.." said Steam Gear in a low voice "You'll pay for this..."
  
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

  Fluttershy dug her hooves into Fang's fur as he thundered through the flaming streets. They hadn't seen one pony yet and it's been nearly 15 minutes. "What's going on?" thought Fluttershy to Fang "Where is every pony"
  
  "I wish I could tell you" replied Fang "This smoke is clouding my senses. I'm as blind as you are"
  
  Fluttershy didn't notice the figures hiding in the shadows. Fang was unable to dodge out of the way just as a dark figure launched a fireball in his direction. Fluttershy was shaken as he was hit in the side. Letting out a grunt of pain Fang was flung sideways into a burning building. Fluttershy let out a squeak of fright as she fell to the ground. Looking up she saw a familiar figure looming in the distance.
  
  "Trixie!" yelled Fluttershy getting back to her hooves
  
  "Fluttershy" responded Trixie her voice sounding darker than usual "How long has it been since I've seen you?"
  
  Fang emerged from the remains of the building he was launched into. As he pushed himself out of the rubble, he shot a dark glance at Trixie. He planted himself firmly between the dark mage and Fluttershy.
  
  "Still having others fight your battles for you I see" remarked Trixie laughing "Poor Fluttershy. Still to weak to protect herself"
  
  Fang darted forward brandishing his claws in an arc, aiming at Trixies face. Raising a hoof she erupted a wall of cloud, blocking the attack and enveloping Fang's paw. It soon worked it's way all the way around Fang's body entangling him as he struggled.
  
  "But how?" asked Fluttershy frozen in disbelief
  
  "Wonderful isn't it?" asked Trixie with a dark thrill "I've made the clouds stronger than steel. Even with his strength he's no match for them" She moved her hoof and the clouds tightened around Fang. He refused to howl in pain though.
  
  "Stubborn fool" remarked Trixie glaring at the wolf darkly "Just scream already. Beg for mercy"
  
  "Let him go" said Fluttershy running at Trixie "Don't hurt him" She threw a punch at Trixie
  
  "Stupid foal" Laughed Trixie as she dodged Fluttershy's flailing assault and punched her square in the face. Fluttershy reeled back as a blast of force flung her backwards a few meters. She hit the wall of the building behind her back first, jarring her. With her vision blurry and hooves shaking Fluttershy tried to stand up. "Your so weak it's pathetic. Can you ever do anything for yourself"
  
  "Your wrong" said Fluttershy tears rolling down her cheeks "I am not weak" She looked at Trixie with unwavering focus "I do rely on others" Fluttershy began to glow with a faint light as she continued "They stand up for me, because I'm nice to them"
  
  "Your lieing to yourself foal" laughed Trixie hysterically "They stand up for you because you can't stand up for yourself" She raised a hoof and more clouds rose up and began to constrict Fluttershy.
  
  "I am not weak" repeated Fluttershy her tears now falling to the ground in a stream She opened her eyes and what she saw amazed her. She could see everything. It was as if she could see the very essence of the things around her, the flow of life itself. As the clouds began to wrap around her she reached out a hoof and gently touched them. They froze in place.
  
  Fluttershy watched around her as the very strength of nature itself flowed into her, filling her up, making her feel warm and strong. "I'm nice, but there comes a time when a girl's gotta put a hoof down"
  
  "Enough of this lunacy" yelled Trixie "The great and all powerful Trixie has had enough fun. Now die" She raised a hoof in Fluttershy's direction but nothing happened. She tried again and again but the clouds wouldn't move. "What trickery is this?" Trixie cried looking at Fluttershy
  
  "No tricks Trixie" said Fluttershy raising a hoof in fang's direction The clouds entangling him retreated letting him down softly on the ground. "Your just too mean, and I don't like meanies" As if on cue Fang launched himself at Trixie fang's bared. She managed to side step, Fang's jaws crushing together where her neck had been moments ago.
  
  "So you have some strange power" mocked Trixie summoning a circle of fire around her "I am still more powerful than you could possibly imagine!"
  
  "Let me get that for you" said Fluttershy sweetly She let out a breath in the direction of the flames and a gust of wind blew out the flames. "There we are" She raised a hoof in Trixie's direction. With a look of annoyance Trixie struggled as her hooves began to sink into the clouds.
  
  Trixie's horn sparked with magic as she fought against the clouds. Rending the clouds open, she gained her freedom, just in time to dodge a swipe from Fang's claws.
  
  "What's the matter Trixie" chuckled Fluttershy "Would you prefer to have your hooves on the ground?" With that the cream colored Pegasus drew a circle on the cloud in front of her.
  
  "This is impossible" cried Trixie as the clouds beneath her disappeared as if cut out from underneath "I will not be defeated by the likes of you" She tried desperately to hold on to the ledge of clouds.
  
  "Your right Trixie you won't" said Fluttershy with a nod "Fang would you kindly do the honors?" Fang smiled as he walked over to the unicorn, dodging one or two more desperate fireballs. He then dug his claws into the cloud Trixie was hanging on and ripped it off. Trixie let out a scream as she fell through the air. Her voice fading into the distance as she fell out of sight.
  
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

  "Twi do you see anypony?" yelled Rainbow Dash ducking inside another house
  
  "Not a single one" replied Twilight using her familiar's once more to scan the other side of the street She put a hoof to her forehead in thought "This doesn't make any sense, where is everypony?"
  
  "We only have 20 minutes left" said Rainbow Dash looking at the watch hanging around her neck "We should start heading back"
  
  Twilight winced as one of her familiars blinked out. The rest soon followed suit, one by one. Twilight was left with only her eyes to go on now. "Rainbow" she yelled "We have company"
  
  White masked dark figures emerged from the flames around Twilight. They looked hollow as if they were only half there, or drawn from somewhere else halfway. One tried to lash out at Twilight with a clawed hand.
  
  "Incoming" called Rainbow Dash dropping out of the sky flipping once and slamming her back leg into the dark figure. It retreated in what looked like shock, but not in any kind of pain. As it lashed out again Rainbow Dash hopped backwards, it's claws narrowly missing her face.
  
  "Well that didn't work" said Twilight her horn igniting "Let me have a go" She gathered magic in her horn and channeling the air in front of her to move faster and faster, adding heat and friction till it burst into flames. Then she launched the fireball at the horde of monsters. It flew through three of them making flaming holes and exploding on the wall behind them.
  
  The creatures extinguished the flames and the holes soon closed shut. It was as if the fireball never happened. The creature that Rainbow Dash kicked lunged towards the cyan pegasus trying to grab her.
  
  "No you don't" she yelled dropping to her back dodging the grabbing arms She then kicked both her back legs up into the bottom of what she believed to be the creatures face: the mask. The mask cracked and broke in half, as the creature cried out and withered away.
  
  "The masks!" cried Twilight launching another fireball "Aim for the masks" Hitting her mark another mask was broken in a fiery explosion, dissipating another of their adversaries.
  
  "Don't need to tell me twice" replied Rainbow Dash grinning as she threw her hoof, uppercutting and shattering another mask
  
  Twilight raised a hoof sending bolts of lightning into the mob hitting one mask after the other. Soon all that was left were charred pieces of mask and a dark mist.
  
  "What were those things?" asked Rainbow Dash poking some mask fragments with a hoof
  
  "I don't know" said Twilight retreating "and I'd rather not stay to find out"
  
  "I hear that" said Rainbow Dash getting cut off halfway A look of confusion went was printed on the cyan pegasus face as she fell face first into the clouds. One of the creatures had not had it's mask completely broken and had grabbed hold of Rainbow Dash.
  
  "Rainbow!" screamed Twilight slamming her hoof into the mask. On contact an explosion of force erupted from her hoof shattering the mask to dust.
  
  Once she was sure that there were no more of those things around, she looked at her marefriend. She didn't seem to have any wounds on her at all. What's weirder is that she was ice cold. Twilight put her ear to Rainbow Dash's chest to listen for her heart beat and found it slow and weak.
  
  Twilight had to jump back as Rainbow Dash began to flail wildly.
  
  "Rainbow what's happening?" asked Twilight in absolute terror With all the books she'd been reading, Twilight thought she could handle anything. Nothing, however, had prepared her for this.
  
  "Twilight!" called Spitfire dropping down from her viewpoint up above the battlefield
  
  "Spitfire, what's happening?" cried Twilight hoping the flame colored pegasi would know something more
  
  "I don't know" Spitfire replied looking at the twitching cyan pegasus "But we need to get her back to the Albatross. If there is anyone who can help it'll be Rusty."
  
  Twilight lifted Rainbow Dash's now limp form with her magic and sprinted with Spitfire back to the Albatross.
  
________________________________________________________________________________________________

  Steam Gear had been waiting only forty minutes when he heard hoofsteps on deck.
  
  "It's been a long time" said Gear with a forced coolness to his voice
  
  "I'm sorry if I kept you waiting" chuckled the intruder "I'm not surprised your still alive, but trying to train these pathetic fools to stand against me?!"
  
  "The only reason your hear is to see what they're capable of" said Gear "Isn't it?"
  
  "Oh you've seen through my little raid party have you. Hmm..." said the intruder licking his lips maliciously He was getting gradually closer.
  
  "I knew you would be here in some form Erebus" said Gear forcing his blood to cool "I just didn't expect you to take a hostage" Steam Gear could feel the heat coming off a real pony's body, something Erebus didn't have.
  
  "Hey don't blame me" said Erebus in a mocking tone "He came to me seeking control. Wanted to make the voices stop. That's all I did"
  
  "Sounds like a deal you'd make" replied Gear standing up
  
  "Now what are you doing?" laughed Erebus "Surely you don't plan on fighting me alone?"
  
  "I'm not the pony you once knew Erebus" said Gear jumping down to land in front off his adversary, causing to take a step back "I've done a lot of growing up"
  
  "Appearances can be deceiving" said Erebus his horn glowing with a pitch black light "But they only go skin deep. I'll find out for myself how much you've grown up. If it's a duel you want it's a duel you'll get."
  
  Erebus jumped back and slammed his hooves into the ground, causing black tentacles to shoot up and try to entangle his blind adversary. Steam Gear pulled out a long metal rod and swung it at the tentacles. As he did so it transformed itself into a scythe, cutting the tentacles in two.
  
  "A nice trick" chuckled Erebus darkly "This may last longer than last time" the dark unicorn clapped his hooves together sending a shockwave of energy directly at Steam Gear. Planing the top of the scythe into the deck he jumped and pulled a trigger on the side of it, Firing the hidden gun inside. The force of which carried him over the wave and within striking distance of Erebus.
  
  "Your right" said Gear flipping the scythe around "This time I win" With that he plunged the scythe into Erebus's side. Steam Gear waited for the cry of pain that would normally come at this point, but it never did. Instead Erebus let out a laugh.
  
  "If that's all you've got, I'm afraid you still have a lot of growing to do" laughed Erebus punching Steam Gear in the chest sending him flying into the Albatross's railing. He followed it up by pulling the scythe out of his side and letting it drop to the deck with a clank.
  
  "You bastard" coughed Gear pulling himself to his hooves "That's a mortal wound, just let that pony drop already. Fighting anymore and there is a good chance he won't survive this"
  
  "You sound as if I should care about this wretched worm" said Erebus hysterically "I don't care about whether it lives or dies. It offered itself to me, so it is mine to use as I see fit"
  
  "Rusty" called Spitfire landing on deck "We have a problem" Erebus stamped the deck sending a giant black sword flying at Spitfire.
  
  "Look out!" cried Gear jumping in front of it, taking it hilt deep into his shoulder. He dropped to his front knees out of pain. "Get off the ship, It's not safe here"
  
  "Yes, please do" said Erebus clapping his hooves together now sitting on a throne made from clouds "You've already given me the edge in this duel of ours"
  
  "A duel?" asked Spitfire letting out a yelp of pain as she was dragged by her tail off the ship She met the gaze of a very agitated looking Fang when she landed on the cloud below.
  
  "Do you still think you can win?" mocked Erebus "Seems to me like your in a great deal of pain"
  
  "No amount of pain" said Gear ripping the sword out of his shoulder and icking up the gun scythe now at his feet "Could ever equal" He got to his hooves dropping the cartridge from his gun scythe. "To what I felt all those years ago" Gear took out a new cartridge and let his trench coat drop from his shoulders.
  
  The cartridge gleam of red energy with dark purple diamonds flowing through. "Gun-scythe technique Overdrive" said Gear locking the cartridge in place He clicked the reloader once and there was a burst of energy. Pointing the barrel behind him he fired once and was launched through the air near super sonic speed.
  
  "What the?" cried Erebus putting up a barrier as his blind opponent disappeared before his eyes "Where did you go?" Sparks flew as the scythe continually struck the barricade from all sides, again and again.
  
  Gear could see the energy flowing through Erebus's body. As he could keep track of that he could go as fast as he liked. Gear fired again launching his scythe forward into the very base of Erebus's barrier. It struck fine, but it took another shot to shatter it.
  
  "How in the world?" cried Erebus launching another sword into Steam Gear's chest It hit with a sickening crunch. Erebus had time to smile as blood poured from the wound to the deck, before a hoof landed on his shoulder "There's no way you should be standing.."
  
  "If that's all you've got" replied Gear putting his hoof on the silvery mask covering Erebus's face "Then you've got some growing up to do" With a smile he poured all the energy in his arm to his hoof and fired it like a cannon straight into Erebus's mask. It blew straight through the mask frying it to dust.
  
  It also ripped right through the unicorn's body, blew a hole in the deck, and ripped a hole in the bottom of the Albatross. Both Steam Gear and the now white unicorn fell to the deck.
  
  "What was that sound" asked Fluttershy looking over the side of the ship, upon seeing the results of the battle she let out an "eep" and called to the others. After a few panicking moments of touch and go, Steam Gear was up on his hooves again. As Fluttershy was wrapping his chest in a bandage he looked at the unmoving form of Rainbow Dash.
  
  "What's happening to her?" asked Twilight impatiently tapping her hoof on the deck
  
  "She's in the touch of a shade" replied Gear lifting his arm so Fluttershy can do another circle "That is the name of those masked creatures you two fought. They are creatures from a different dimension, brought here in Erebus's employ"
  
  "So what do we do?" asked Spitfire looking for something more to go on "How can we save her?"
  
  "I'm not sure" said Gear with a sigh "When in the touch of a shade, you are forced to relive your worst nightmares over and over again, slowly draining the life out of you. Until you die"
  
  "But Rainbow can't die!" yelled Twilight furiously "She just can't!"
  
  "Twilight" murmured Fluttershy stopping in her wrapping "Kiss her"
  
  "What?!" cried every other pony and wolf on deck starring straight at the cream colored pegasus
  
  "Oh come now" said Fluttershy with a giggle "Surely you've all read the stories. What can overcome a ponies worst fear's than trying to get back to their heart's one true desire?"
  
  "You know" said Spitfire facehoofing herself out of stupidity "She has a point"
  
  "It's so simple though" said Gear the words "why didn't I think of that" written all over his face
  
  "If your sure?" asked Twilight looking at her unconscious mare friend
  
  "I am the Element of Kindness after all" winked Fluttershy
  
  Taking a deep breath, Twilight pressed her lips to Rainbow's. She tried to put as much feeling as she could, and it didn't take long until she felt a response. Shakily Rainbow Dash's hooves rose to wrap around Twilight embracing her and bringing her down on top of the cyan pegasus.
  
  She broke the kiss to see a pair of magenta orbs looking back at her.
  
  "Twilight don't move" begged Rainbow Dash shivering "I'm really cold for some reason"
  
  "I'm not going anywhere" replied Twilight looking to Fluttershy with a face which could express more thanks than words ever could.
  
  "It seems we have a one survivor" said Spitfire tapping the unconscious white unicorn with a hoof "What do we do with him?"
  
  "Tie him up to the main mast" replied Gear rising to his hooves "We need to depart before this city drags us down along with it"