• Published 16th Nov 2012
  • 1,116 Views, 11 Comments

Answering the Call - Sigil Flare



Spitfire is sent to collect the Element Bearer's to come to Equestria's rescue once more.

  • ...
8
 11
 1,116

Chapter 10

  It's been a week since the incident at Las Pegasus. The crew of the Albatross, have gotten into the swing of things. Twilight trains with Rainbow Dash and Steam Gear. Fang does the night watch, on nights when training last longer than usual. Fluttershy treats any injuries sustained during training. Spitfire on the other hand feels a little left out.
  
  On their stop at the southern border to pick up supplies, Spitfire figured she'd confront Steam Gear about it. She watched as he sent the others off to go pick up the things on their supply list. Before he could follow however she called out "Hey"
  
  Gear turned and replied "Oh hey there Spits" he tilted his head a bit and added "Why didn't you go with the others?"
  
  "I needed to talk to you" said Spitfire nonchalantly
  
  "Oh" replied Gear doing a mental time check "I hope you don't mind walking and talking"
  
  "That will work just fine" said Spitfire looking at the bandages covering his chest She could still remembered how he had taken a sword for her. When Erebus had stamped the deck sending a giant black sword flying at Spitfire. Gear had jumped in front of it, taking it hilt deep into his shoulder.
  
  "Are you still thinking about these bandages?" asked Gear with a chuckle
  
  "No" said Spitfire looking away momentarily She always forgot that Steam Gear could practically read your mind sometimes.
  
  "You know that it would take a lot more than a wound to the shoulder to stop me" replied Gear rounding a corner into the main market place "Besides I couldn't let you get hurt now could I?"
  
  "You didn't have to do it you know?" answered Spitfire bumping him with her shoulder
  
  "I know" said Gear "but it was the right thing to do"
  
  "Just like leaving me out of the training?" countered Spitfire shooting him a dirty look
  
  "The others came and asked me to train them" said Gear defensively
  
  "Training?" said a white unicorn walking in from Steam Gear's left side "What training could you possibly provide?"
  
  "I could say the same to you" replied Gear hoof bumping the new arrival
  
  "Vinyl Scratch?" cried Spitfire in disbelief "What are you doing here?" To her recollection Vinyl was a disk-jockey. Why in Celestia's name would she be all the way down here?
  
  "Geez Fire, don't act so surprised" laughed Vinyl "I'm not here to rekindle an old flame. I'm here making a little business arrangement"
  
  "Wait... you two?" asked Gear curiously looking form one mare to the other
  
  "Yes we dated a bit" answered Spitfire a cross expression on her face "It was a long time ago. Let it drop"
  
  "An acute choice of words Fire" laughed Vinyl "I remember when you said I rocked your world too" Spitfire was about to sock the chuckling Dj right in that smug grin of her's, if Steam Gear hadn't done it for her.
  
  "That's enough of that" said Gear in a commanding tone "I thought you said you were here to make a business transaction"
  
  "Geez" replied Vinyl resetting her glasses "Your punches sure have gotten better. Fine, I'll let Fire go for now. What is it you wanted to talk about."
  
  "I have a unicorn aboard, who you would be very interested in" said Gear

  "Hey dude just cause we're college room mates, don't mean you can try and set me up on dates" said Vinyl with a menacing glance
  
  "He says he can hear the Melody" finished Gear disregarding the earlier comment Spitfire locked that comment away and figured she'd get an answer later
  
  Vinyl' ears shot up and she got a very serious look on her face.
  
  "The... Melody" asked Vinyl in a skeptical tone "Your not pulling my leg?"
  
  "Not with something this important" answered Gear "Are you interested?"
  
  "Aren't you just making port?" asked Vinyl curiously "Why call me all the way down here?"
  
  "Isn't it obvious?" replied Gear with a snicker "I want you to join us"
  
  "That's crazy I have gigs to go to still" cried Vinyl "I can't just drop everything and come with you"
  
  "I've already informed Tia" said Gear as if he had rehearsed it "She's taken care of everything. So how does 1 million bits to come aboard sound?"
  
  "Sounds like you planned this from the beginning" growled Vinyl shaking his hoof "I'll come aboard then, but I get my own room. Don't what a repeat of our college adventures do we?"
  
  "I wouldn't mind pranking Octavia again" laughed Gear "Though i could without you masquerading as a stallion. Got awkward trying to find times where I didn't walk in on you coming out of the shower."
  
  "Wait what?" asked Spitfire now dreadfully confused
  
  "Your the one who wanted to take morning showers" shrugged Vinyl "I'm surprised you didn't try anything with the way you were eyeballing my flank"
  
  "Hey it's not like you were trying to hide anything" groaned Gear punching Vinyl in the shoulder "I don't care how sexy you tried to look flinging around that wet mane of yours. I told I wasn't gonna date my roommate"
  
  "I think I'm gonna find the others" said Spitfire trying to escape this conversation in any way possible Steam Gear and Vinyl Scratch waved goodbye as they continued to reminisce.
  
________________________________________________________________________________________________
  
  "Hey Spitfire" called Rainbow Dash she had one wing wrapped over Twilight, in a very obvious display of affection
  
  "What's up Rainbow?" answered Spitfire trotting over to the cyan pegasus
  
  "Rainbow was thinking of taking me on a date" chuckled Twilight leaning into her marefriend
  
  "Oh really" replied Spitfire with a smile "How cute"
  
  "Ah it's nothing special" said Rainbow blushing a bit "Just taking to a restaurant I used to go to down here. I was wondering if you could find where Fluttershy ran off to?"
  
  "Sure I'll find her" said Spitfire giving Rainbow Dash a playful punch in the shoulder "Have fun you two"
  
  As Rainbow Dash and Twilight walked off Spitfire decided to head towards the center of town. She didn't have to wait long before she found them standing in a crowd surrounding a central platform. A greenish Stallion was on top yelling about something in the center of the platform...
  
  On the center of the platform was a pony of some kind frozen in place. He was trapped in solid crystal. He was snowy white with what appeared to be blue armor on. In his hooves was a giant black scythe. Spitfire shook her head to realize she wasn't seeing things and the speakers voice found it's way to her.
  
  "Listen up everypony" said the announcer "This is the forever stone. No pony has every been able to break this stone, and set free the mysterious figure inside. No pony knows how long he's been trapped in there or if he's even alive anymore"
  
  The crowd let out an "Wow" A rather large white pony let out a startling "YEAH"
  
  "For a small fee you come up and test your mettle" continued the announcer "See if you can break the crystal the Princess herself couldn't"
  
  Spitfire was a little shocked to hear that. If the princess herself couldn't crack that crystal who could? A creamy yellow hoof raised skyward.
  
  "You miss would you like to try?" asked the announcer calling on the pegasus
  
  "If I could" replied Fluttershy having Fang jump up to the platform "I would be ever so thankful"

  "Miss I must inform you that only ponies are allowed to participate in this event" said the announcer doing his best not to flee in terror of the wolf now towering over him "It is tradition"
  
  "Alright" said Fluttershy dismounting Fang "I'll follow your rules" Fang sat down and watched as Fluttershy trotted up to the big crystal and tapped it with a hoof. It let out a dull ring.
  
  "Would you perhaps like a hammer or something?" asked the announcer trying to be of help
  
  "Oh no that won't be necessary" said Fluttershy giving the announcer a smile
  
  "Fluttershy what are you doing?" asked Spitfire landing on the platform beside Fang, who gave a grunt in greeting
  
  "I'm breaking the Forever Stone" Fluttershy replied laying a hoof on the stone She pressed on it lightly and said "Break please" The crystal began to stir. It glowed with an eerie light and then shattered like glass. The pony inside fell out onto the floor gasping for air.
  
  He stood up using the scythe to regain his balance. Looking around he wore a look of confusion. His gaze fell upon Spitfire and he relaxed a little bit.
  
  "Suni?" the stallion asked looking directly at Spitfire "What are you doing here? You've done some growing since the last time I saw you."
  
  "Are you talking to me?" asked Spitfire pointing a hoof at herself
  
  "Of course" replied the stallion "It's me Snowfall. Don't you remember? I know it's been a few years but come on.."
  
  "Listen Snowfall I think there might be a misunderstanding..." started Spitfire as Snowfall's gaze landed on Fang She was cut off as Snowfall flung himself at the dire wolf.
  
  Fang had to jump back to avoid the reach of the glistening black scythe. He retaliated with a swipe of his claws, which Snow dodged with a flap of his wings and a twist.
  
  "Hey" said Fluttershy in her normal tone of voice, which is the equivalent of a soft whisper The two combatant didn't hear her at all. They continued they're combat. Fang caught Snowfall with a well placed paw, sending him down into the crowd. This drove the crowd to scream and retreat from the now battlefield.
  
  "Leave these nice ponies alone you foul demon" cried Snowfall blocking Fang's bite with his scythe With a mighty heave he lifted Fang off the ground and threw him sideways into a local fruit stand. Returning to his paws now dripping in fruit juice, Fang growled in rage. He ran into Snowfall, once again being blocked by the scythe. This time however he pushed downwards, knocking lose the stallions footing.
  
  Seeing his opportunity Fang rammed his shoulder into Snowfall's chest sending him flying backwards. He did a backflip in the air, using his wings to slow his momentum. Unwinding the chains on his arm he charged Fang again, slashing with his scythe. Fang dodged by jumping over it, only to get tangled in the chains connecting Snowfall to his scythe.
  
  Fang was caught but not trapped, he hauled on the chains and dragged Snowfall back trapping him under a paw. The stallion had brought the scythe back up to block the talons and had it aimed towards Fang's throat.
  
  "Stop it both of you" yelled Spitfire landing a safe distance away Fluttershy beside her "Your acting like idiots"
  
  "But Suni, this Dire wolf was about to attack you!" yelled Snowfall managing to throw off Fang's paw "The Captain would never forgive me if I let that happen"
  
  "Fang wouldn't attack any pony" said Fluttershy flying over to her woodland friend "He's a nice wolf"
  
  "Stand back madam" ordered Snowfall raising his scythe "I need to take care of that beast"
  
  "He's not a beast" yelled Fluttershy forcefully the ground seemed to quake and both Spitfire and Snowfall had to fight to keep on their hooves
  
  "Calm down Fluttershy" said Spitfire stepping in front of Snowfall "I want you to stand down"
  
  "Suni you know I can't do that" replied Snowfall "The Captain told me to protect as many innocents as I could"
  
  "Indeed I did" replied Gear from his vantage point on the platform a few feet away
  
  "Captain?" said Snowfall his jaw dropping in disbelief as Steam Gear approached "What happened to you?"
  
  "You've been gone a long time old friend" replied Gear in a sorrowful tone "You've been imprisoned in a crystal prison for nearly 450 years"
  
  "That's impossible" replied Snowfall confused He pointed at Spitfire "Suni is right here"
  
  "I was trying to tell you earlier" said Spitfire "I'm not Sunishia. My name Is Spitfire"
  
  "Then..." said Snowfall his expression deadpanned
  
  "I'm afraid it is so" said Gear putting a hoof on his comrades shoulder
  
  "450 hundred years" mouthed Snow trying to come to terms with this must unfortunate turn of events "Every pony I knew is gone."
  
  "That's not true Snow" said Gear in a comforting tone "I'm still here"
  
  "Brothers till the end?" asked Snowfall looking at his old friend
  
  "Brothers till the end" replied Gear with his usual smile "Come on Snow. I have something I'd like to show you"
  
________________________________________________________________________________________________
  
  
  Once everyone had returned to the Albatross Steam Gear and their newest member Snowfall addressed the rest of the crew.
  
  "Everypony I would like to introduce to you my old friend Snowfall. He was my second in command, back when I was Captain of the Wonderbolts. He has been frozen in crystal for nearly 450 years" started Gear
  
  "Hello everyone I was going to introduce myself but It would seem the Captain here did that for me" continued Snowfall obviously not used to giving speeches "I admit a lot of the things I've seen so far have confused me, but I'll do my best to fit in around here"
  
  "That's great" said Spitfire bumping Steam with a hoof "But where is he gonna stay you just gave Vinyl your last room remember?"
  
  "It's okay I'll sleep on deck if I have to" replied Snow with a shrug of his shoulders "I'm just glad to have a place to stay really"
  
  "Actually Snow I was thinking you should stay in Fluttershy's room for now" said Gear
  
  "Are you kidding" asked Spitfire with a "are you joking" look on her face
  
  "It's true" said Fluttershy landing next to Snowfall "After all I was the one who saved him. I figured he could share my room for awhile. There's no harm in friends rooming together, right?"
  
  "If the lady insists" replied Snowfall with a bow
  
  "Then It's settled" said Gear addressing everyone again "Get some sleep for tomorrow we set out to the Gate of Shadows, and then start our journey into the Shadowlands!"