• Published 15th Dec 2012
  • 525 Views, 16 Comments

The Great Equestrian War - Lightning Cloud



This Story Is About A Pony named Lightning Cloud who loses his family, and is caught into a long war

  • ...
6
 16
 525

Prelude to war

He awoke from his sleep and looked around, walls of stone where around him with iron bars in front of his cell. All that could be seen was a few ponies with weapons standing guard by the door. He knew no whereabouts of his squad members or if they were alive. His wings were tied and he was in shackles, he muttered an insult and the guards yelled for him to stay quiet. He was now a prisoner of war.


It was a great mourning for a walk in town, besides the half hangover I had gotten last night. I had woken up at 7am and Tasha was still asleep, so I decided to leave because of what happened. I left a note on the table saying ‘Tasha I’m sorry about last night I wasn’t myself talk later?’ The crisp air was delightful and you could smell the pastries from sugar cube corner for miles. As I walked by the Apple family farm, I was greeted by a few familiar faces from the major meeting held by Princess Celestia. “Hello” said Rareity with a smile, I decided to stop and chat.
Apple Jack, Rareity, and Twilight continued into conversation with me chatting along, but Twilight turned to me and a look like she just remembered something came to her face. “What are you doing walking around, didn’t you get that message this morning I sent you?” I had a feeling it was important so I decided it would be best to agree with her and then be on my way. As I turned and was a few feet away Twilight called my name. I stopped but didn’t turn to face her, “You do know why that had to happen, Right?” she said. My head hung low as I sighed, “yes Twilight I know, now that you’re a princess you have responsibilities and need to do what you need to do.” I walked off with a sigh of relief but grief was still upon me.
I reached my house and opened the door to find one of my old pals on the table holding my letter from Twilight. It was my pet Phoenix from when I had to go to the castle to see Princess Celestia as a colt. He was two different shades of purple but he could change any color he wanted too. When I named him all I could think was Shiek, and he seemed to like it too.
I stuck out my hoof and did a high pitch whistle through my teeth, it was my way of telling him to come to me. Using its small talons, he threw the message my way, and then a blur went from the table to my hoof. He then caught the message in his talon, gave it to me then bowed. He had always been faster than the target. I saw the royal symbol on it and immediately opened it. ‘Dear Captain Cloud’, I smiled and laughed, she finally had put some decency in this one, I went back to reading.
‘Dear Captain Cloud,
It’s been a terrible week trying to get your attackers to give us any information. In a new attempt I’m sending you an order to go and interrogate every one of them; you will also have another in the room with you during this process. So you are hereby announced to be there at 12:00 pm, no later. I hope it will be easier than the time we have been having. Good luck.

-Princess Twilight Sparkle
Eleven rings came from the clock symbolizing that it was 11:00 am. It took twenty minutes to get there by train, so I opened a window and put some crackers on the table for Shiek and left for the train station.


“Jason?” a voice called, “Jason?” I got up and looked around. “Zeke is that you?” I replied, “Where are you”? His face appeared near the bars on the upper right side of my cell. It was a relief to see one of us here especially Zeke, he and I had been friends for a long time. “Do you know what has happened to Zachary”? I sighed, “No what happened to Dirk”? His face turned full of sorrow and I immediately knew what had happened to him, “did he at least die fighting”? The look in his eyes were unknown, “yes but he didn’t deserve to die the way he did”. Anger and hate started to fill my head, “they will pay Zeke”.

There were a few minutes of silence, not even a noise in the room, just full silence. “Jason what was it like fighting the rebel group up in the mountain a couple years ago”? I pondered the question for a moment to figure out an answer. “Well there was really no chance for them to win, they were never organized and never trained, so we almost no loses”. He sighed, “Did they ever talk about what we believed was wrong”? It never hit me whenever we captured a rebel and he always shouted that we were in a shroud of lies, or that it was wrong. “Yes all the time, why do you ask”? “Well” he said, “Right now what we’re doing, it doesn’t make any sense, why do we have to fight”? “I’ll tell you why” a voice came from the next cell to my left. “These ponies are a savage race, they attack without reason then think it’s alright and everything will be fine, they need to be brought to justice, and-”. “Hey, shut the hell up down there!” a guard yelled. We all scowled and gave a look at the guard but stayed quiet.

A door opened and a few ponies were talking with the guards, I caught glimpse of somepony who looked like the target we came to kill, was that Lightning Cloud? They left the room and then two guards came and unlocked Zeke’s cell, and took him out the door. I hoped that this wasn’t an execution; please don’t let it be one.


I looked around the interrogation room; I quickly noticed the one way tinted window, that was really it. There was one of the Lunar Republics soldiers here to help me out, so while we waited I tried some small talk. “So how was your train ride here?” I asked. He gave me an irritated look, “I didn’t have to ride one I have wings, if you have any insults say them now”. “What in Equestria are you talking about?” I asked, “Why would I insult you”? He gave me a puzzled look, “you mean you’re not going to insult me or do anything demeaning to me”? Shaking my head I said “no”, and a smile quickly came to his face. “My name is Grant, and sorry I thought you were like some of the other ponies out there”. Not understanding I asked “what do you mean like some of the others out there”? He then began to tell me a story about some of the ponies were not too fond of the Luna Republic, and how usually they were treated like jerks, and that is why there were two separate armies. “Wow I didn’t even know about this, this should be took up with the princesses”.

A group of guards then walked in with one of the griffons from the attack and set him across the table. He was chained up so he couldn’t move, the guards saluted then went and guarded outside the door. We looked at the chained up griffon, his head hung down with a grim look on his face. “Ok” Grant said as he pressed the button on a recorder. “Prisoner 935115 attempt #4”.
“So” I asked, “I hear from high places that they can’t get any of you to talk, not even get your name”. The griffon remained silent, but he started to bring us into his sight. “What’s the matter, cat got your tongue”? “My name” he said, “Is Zeke, and I already know yours”. “Skip the names” snapped Grant, “why were you here, what’s your next move? We need answers”! “We were here to kill him”, as Zeke pointed at me. I looked at the griffon as he turned and mumbled something. “I will talk but only if I have my chains removed and only Lightning Cloud can be in the room”. Grant was about to protest, but I said deal before he could. Grant left the room, and I hit a switch on the wall that made the chains unlock and fall to the floor. Zeke began to stretch, while I sat down across from him.

“I am a Corporal of the Griffon Empire, along on a mission to kill you Cloud. We got detail that you lived in Ponyville and what we read was that you were currently in training, so we infiltrated and realized our intel was off.” I thought for a moment as he paused, “But wait how did look like ponies” I asked. “The Empire has sources, magic was used to cloak us, but that was our mission”. “Why tell me this?” I said puzzled. “You will realize soon, you may put the cuffs back on, but I ask only on my feet”.

The room got quiet again with Grant and me sitting in the table. Zeke remained in the corner with his head down. The guards walked in with the other two prisoners, the guards went behind us and leaned against the wall. A guard then lost his balance tripping one of the switches, releasing the griffon closest to me. He pounced on me as another griffon yelled “finish him Jason”! I seen him raise his claw and knew I was finished. But then he was tackled over, Zeke had just saved me. “Do you want to die now!?” he yelled. They were both chained up and Zeke was instantly thrown into a corner, leaving the other two at the table.

“Jason is it?” I spoke to my attacker, “I’m guessing you’re the one calling the shots”. No response from him, I looked at Grant and he began to talk who I knew was Zachery. “We want answers and we know you’re an officer, why did King Listo not accept peace”? The Griffon laughed, “you don’t even know who you’re talking too, and that king is no longer in rule. He was overthrown the week of the incident”. There king had been overthrown? By whom I thought, I decided to learn more. “Who is the new leader?” I yelled. “Do you remember his son you idiots, I am now King Zachery”! It now just hit me King Listo had had a son; I was blinded this whole time. “You Ponies will all fall, I will make sure of it which is why the Crystal Empire has fallen to our control”! I sped to the speaker by the one way window and pressed the button. “We have a Code: Black, The Crystal Empire has been possibly attacked”. A Siren started blaring in the distance, I looked out of one of the other windows into the sky, there were griffons everywhere. I went into panic mode, “Secure the room I want no-” The wall next to me engulfed in an explosion broke it. I was flung toward the other wall and was knocked out.


Tasha continued to take cover behind a tree; she peaked around it and observed her enemy. They stood in a circle formation and waited. What looked like a commanding officer then came out and started giving orders, and then they started to look for any civilians in the area. Tasha started to hear movement in front of the tree she was behind; she drew her knife and waited. The Griffon leaned against the tree not knowing of her position. She quickly covered he beak and slit his thought, brought the body back to the ground behind the tree, then got back in her position. She observed the bottle and lighter the Griffon had sticking out of his knap sack, she seen the cloth sticking halfway in and out of the bottle and immediately knew what it was. The Griffons were being called back to the formation they had been in before, this was perfect. She flicked the lighter and a flame emitted from it, she lit the cloth, then through the bottle. The whole formation engulfed in flames, along with pain and screams of agony. Three of the Griffons had all of a sudden appeared and were confused and trying to help. Tasha sprang towards the closest one to her, tackled it and drove her knife into its chest. The other two seen Tasha and rushed to attack. She readied her knife but was tackled to the ground. A blur of blue struck the griffon that had her pinned her to the ground, she quickly got up and killed the other attacker.
Rainbow Dash grinned, “Sorry I was late for the party”. Sounds of shuffling armor came from all around them, they had been surrounded. Tasha sighed and reached back into her knapsack and pulled out a syringe. “Tasha what is that for” she questioned as the griffons came closer. Tasha looked at the syringe of blue liquid, then injected herself with it. “Rainbow Dash” Tasha said, “no matter what you see, I want you to know I’m still the same person this is only temporary”. Rainbow Dash turned to see Tasha her eye color was red, then Tasha was a blur while many griffons were torn to a major bloodshed and fell to the ground.


I coughed as a piece of rubble was taken off me, “What happened Grant”? “Sir they got away, were under attack we need to get to General Shadow Moon’s counter attack”. I nodded and we ran for the frontlines.
We entered a house with more cannon ball holes than a pirate ship at the bottom of Davy Jones’ locker, I was surprised it still held. “Sergeant I need you and your men at this position” Shadow’s voice rang. “Still using run-down joints as HQ’s I see” I said, Shadow laughed “well looks like I found my runner”. Grant saluted Shadow “Sir reporting for duty!”, Shadow looked at me then back to Grant, “at ease runner number two”. Grant looked as confused as I was, “excuse me sir”? Shadow Moon looked back and forth, “I need you two to blow up the enemy artillery with these”. He pulled out two bricks of timed explosives, I grinned in excitement, I always enjoyed explosives. A scared look came to Grant’s face “Sir this is normally work for higher military personnel”. Shadow Moon grinned “what are you talking about Sergeant”? Grant smiled “thanks for the promotion sir, but are we gonna have any back up”? “Are you ever!” a voice came from behind us, it was Red Cross. “Shadow permission for Zeta Squad to back up Lighting Cloud”? “Permission granted Red”.
We ran out of the building and toward the battle line, “Are you ready for this Grant”? He looked at me confused, “what do you mean sir”? A smirk came to my face, “you’re about to serve with 2 of 3 of the most badass soldiers, and the most badass squad in this army”.
We fought our way through a good 50 griffons before actually finding the first cannon we had to destroy. We made Grant plant the bomb since it was going to be his first time. He set the time for ten then we ran. We came up on the second without a problem. “Stop” I said, “something’s not right, check the area”. A loud scream came from a man from Zeta squad, we all ran to see what had happened. A griffon in heavy armor had drove a sword threw the member of the squad and thrown him to the ground. Somepony turned and yelled “Juggernaut”! The giant figure ran our way, another member of Zeta squad charge at but was instantly knocked to the ground. The Juggernaut was about to finish him, I shoulder charged him and the Juggernaut staggered. I started to help up the downed Zeta squad member, “look out!” he screamed, I turned as the Juggernaut raised its heavy sword. A sword pierced through its chest then went back through it’s back. The Juggernaut fell over as it gave away its last breathe standing behind it was Grant. “Thanks I thought I was a goner”, the Zeta member said.
I went to plant the last bomb and set the counter for 10 seconds then we ran. Red Cross turned to me, “hey Lightning I got an idea if you are up for it”. “You’re kidding right? Lay it on me”. He explained what we should do, the plan was simple, attack the enemy from behind (which we already behind them), and win.
We charged the enemy from behind and instantly shit had hit the griffons fan, they were confused and wondered how we got in and where their artillery had gone. And if it wasn’t bad enough one of their line were then broken by our frontline assaulters. What looked like a commanding officer then flew in and ordered a retreat because all griffons took to the skies and flew off. We had won.


The Next Day
I looked around the battle field most of the dead bodies away to be buried, all the families who had lost a member of their family would get immediate notification, we had won but at what cost.
I came into the camp of ponies wounded; some were really bad, like missing limb bad. There was experimental auto mail that had been created before this all started, it was supposed to be for ponies born with limb disabilities, but now if the soldiers wanted they could get back in the fight.
I walked to Shadow Moon who was standing on a makeshift stage; he had invited me to make a speech. I was joined by Zeta squad, Red Cross, and Grant. As Shadow called to all ponies to report to the stage, more started to gather and I had seen many give Grant dirty looks. I leaned to Shadow Moon, “We need to fix this” I whispered, “All the Luna’s Republic keep getting treated like crap it’s not right”.
Shadow Moon went up to the microphone and announced about one hell of a job we had done, beating the griffons. He continued and told that Grant and I had something to say, I let Grant speak first. “I’m glad we were able to win this fight and defend Equestria. I’m glad I was able to fight alongside Zeta, Red Cross, and Captain Cloud”. “You should be honored, darkie” rang a side comment. Angered, I grabbed hold of the microphone, “which one of you two bits said that”, no answer. “This ‘darkie’ saved a member of zeta and me today so you need to shut your trap and stand in line”. I gave the microphone back to Shadow Moon, “And with that I would like to make an announcement” he said. “Due to the events shown today Luna Republic soldiers will be joining forces with several of the ranks in the Royal Equestrian Army”. “Dismissed”!


“Mom what exactly is the Genesis project”, said Morning Star. Princess Celestia looked at both Rainbow Dash and Morning Star. Rainbow Dash feared what Tasha had done to herself and had asked Morning Star if he had knew what it was, but he himself couldn’t give her a reasonable answer. “Morning Star, Rainbow Dash, how do you know about Genesis”? Rainbow Dash came forward “Tasha injected herself with a syringe labeled Genesis in yesterday’s fight”. Princess Celestia’s face became worried “Tasha will be fine, but you can tell no pony else about what Tasha did yesterday”.