• Published 5th Jan 2013
  • 4,116 Views, 58 Comments

Reconditus - Vulpibard



Lunaris- a once legendary sorcerer- is now trapped in a peaceful world of ponies. Oh the irony.

  • ...
12
 58
 4,116

Ch. 3: Blowing Off Steam

It wasn’t ten minutes later that I blew away the smoke rising from my ceramic cup and took a long sip. Ah, now that's how you blow off steam. I sighed, stretching my rear legs out in front of me and breathing deeply, enjoying the heat from the raging fire before me.

It was fairly simple to light, too: I just had to focus all my rage from earlier events and channel it through my horn and the image of an igniting flame. Now I was sitting in a mildly contented state, sadly without strong emotions to back up any more spell casting. Nonetheless, I wiggled my hooves and enjoyed the fire. Though I found myself turning as I heard galloping nearby.

"My stall!" The yellow pony, Miss Carrot Top, shouted as she skidded to a halt next to me, staring at the fire in sheer terror, "What happened to it?”

“It appears to have combusted.” I answered plainly, careful not to lie. Lying only ever complicated matters. But no need to tell the truth, either.

Instead I pointed to the mound off to the side, where I moved all the carrots so they wouldn't burn too. What? Did you, dear readers, really think I would burn my only possible source of income? Well almost my only source, but it was best to start small. Burning stalls today, looting incinerated peasants tomorrow.

"It's too late to save your stand," I pointed out, as the merchant still stared into the blaze.

"Oh," her tail drooped and she pawed at the ground. The shadow of her hair covered her eyes, but I swear I could hear sniffling.

Honestly, what an annoying sound, I complained inwardly, but looking over my teacup I saw something else; a degree of fear. Like the Twilight creature? No, that fear was directed at me and I knew it well, this was different. Genuine despair, which I also recognised all too well. I normally enjoyed it, but for an unknown reason this time I did not. Maybe I should do something, I thought, times like these were generally a crossroads in life, and I should make it count in my favor. Just after the plan clicked in my mind, I patted the ground next to me and called out to her.

"Come now! It's not all bad. Just look- we have this lovely fire, let's enjoy it a while!" She glared at me pitifully through her bangs but consented to fall down next to me with a flop, sniffing again.

"Now how am I going to sell my carrots? I really needed that money. The apple family has been pushing me out for years, already, and now they'll finally have the edge they need. Not to mention my rent and all the debts I have to pay, and -" She could've kept on like this for a while had I not interrupted her.

"Please, ignore the apple family- their half bit, worm infested apples won't last long. But so long as you have your carrots, why would you need a stand? You can always sell them without one." Harpy’s tongue, was I really trying to give a motivational speech? If this didn't pay in my favor I'd have to burn her house down, too. The golden maned pony sniffled again.

"Do you really think so?"

"Of course, and look: now you can sell roasted carrots! Not to mention invitations to a bonfire party," As though it wanted to prove my point one of the support beams of the stand toppled over. I tilted my head in thought, Come to think of it, it really wouldn't be a party without plenty of helpless creatures to throw in...

The mare stood up swiftly with a determined scowl on her face. "You're right, I won't let this get me down! Never let it be said that Carrot Top is a mare to give up without a fight!"

You're kidding, it worked?

With the blazing fire reflected in her eyes, she turned to me and stuck out a hoof, "Will you help me?"

I sighed and gave a soft smile. At least the potential was still there. Grabbing her hoof, I hoisted myself up.

"Certainly, I could always use the coin," I responded, and the start of my next plan began to form in my head. I wasn't going to stay in this world long, but I might return after a while to see how it's doing- it would be better to have someone on my side.

Carrot Top nodded at me.

"Great, you can start by spreading the news: Carrot Top`s fireside buffet, tonight!"

Even if they think they're the one in charge. I returned the nod and trotted off without a further word.

Luckily there were no witnesses to have seen me incinerate the stand, so I was free to learn who this 'Apple Family' was and get to work. I just loved destroying major businesses, especially when it's family run! Maybe once I was done with them, I could turn on Carrot Top. I squashed that idea as soon as it arose- the plan, Domin.

A thought still nagged at me, however. This land with all it's magic; surely someone must be as powerful a mage as me- perhaps even a threat. I shook my head, mixing agents of vast power never worked well, so banish that thought as well and be off to 'Spread the word.' However one does that. Maybe some posters?

Which would be easy if I could get posters by tonight. I supposed word of mouth could work, Oxblood that'd be tedious. No matter, being a man of my word, I put one grey hoof in front of the other and plastered a determined look on my countenance. Very soon I was rewarded with the sight of a large red stallion waiting in the street. Judging by the clothing in the door it was a rather high society tailor’s shop, but I ignored it for now.

The stallion was a large fellow, powerful and tall. His proud and upright posture was in stark contrast to the heavy looking yoke around his neck. Was it fashion? Or is this some sort of draft horse? By his brawn and weathered fur, I’d assume he’s working class. So why venture to a boutique? Carefully trotting over to him, I found myself checking his ‘cutie mark’ just in case. An apple, was he part of the family?

I had far too many questions for this curious fellow, and it was time to answer them.

"Well well, you look like a respectable member of society- you wouldn't happen to be interested in produce, would you?"

"Eeyup," He answered around the wheat sprig in his maw, and with a tired look in his eye as he casually stared down at me.

"Oh I see, that wouldn't happen to be your area of expertise would it?"

"Eeyup," He commented.

Oh, a quiet one. And I couldn't quite place his accent either. Offering a shrug to myself, I decided my business was finished and trotted away- shortly before I remembered why I was there in the first place and turned back to him.

"Say, if I were trying to hand out invitations for a produce themed party, who would be the best creature to see?" His eyes lazily drifted down to meet mine once more and he raised a brow.

"Ah suppose mizz Pinkie Pie, she’s well known here ‘round Ponyville."

“And where would I find Miss Pie?” I inquired, not desiring to waste any time searching the entire town for one horse.

The stallion nodded his head in the direction of a large… need I say garishly decorated house. A few chimneys in the shape of candles bellowed a white smoke into the air. A baker, of course, her name would imply that in this world.

I had to wonder if these ponies chose their name after their profession, were given professions to match their names, or if it was all an insane coincidence. With an inward groan I realized that, given everything else I’ve seen, it was more than likely the last.

"Many thanks," I graciously nodded at the giant draft horse and trotted a short distance away. Then ducked down an alley. Just what had he been waiting outside that store for? I leaned closer to the corner as a door opened.

"Darn it, she ain’t seen him neither, how hard is one stallion to find?" A feminine voice- of the same dialect as big red, I noted. "I swear, finding that gold-eyed galloper is like tryin' to rope a coilin’ copperhead." There was a pause, then some trotting, "Well, come on Big Mac, we ain't gonna find him sitting around all day."

"Ah'v never known him to sit 'round anyway," A pause. Perhaps as their drawling accent suggested, the speaker had to think a while to get ‘Big Mac’’s joke. Or she was just unimpressed.

"Yeh know what I mean, Mac," The voice was farther off than before so taking their example, I too began slinking away down the alley- But stopped with I felt something beneath my hoof.

An advantage to no shoes! I’m beginning to take to this form. I looked down at the strip of parchment I stepped on. Levitating it to eye level, I read it aloud;

"We know what you are, you have been warned.

H.S."

Huh, so the local rogues gallery already has it in for me. With raised eyebrows and a nod of my head, the letter was enveloped in smoke, More bridges to burn, then.

Author's Note:

It's here! It's complete! And it's time to work on the next chapter!

I promised it several weeks ago, I know. I really should have checked the calendar, because before I knew it finals week had broken down my door and looted my house of all clocks and watches in search of spare time.

It really snuck up on me, and I apologise. The bright side of things is that I have a brief break from college for a little while, and can focus a lost more of my free time on writing without fretting over late assignments.

(fingers crossed I don't jinx myself. Already knocking on wood.)

Regardless, comments are much appreciated. If you see an errors or what not, point them out! I'd love a chance to improve. If not, don't worry about it- just keep enjoying all the stories you can read and we'll call it even.

Till next time.