• Published 10th Nov 2012
  • 1,177 Views, 40 Comments

Darkness Abound - thefulkboy1

  • ...
3
 40
 1,177

4-Applejack

Applejack, having bought a cure for Applebloom’s disease, decided to leave Pinkie Pie and Stormfax and return to the farm, where she could help Applebloom recover. She still couldn’t get over what Stormfax had told them earlier, before Rainbow Dash had attacked.

“I hid in the mountains when Equilarsous disowned and banished me. For about six months, I wandered the seemingly empty terrain. I was, tired and hungry, and I had no clue on what to do. After those long months of helplessness, I finally collapsed and gave up… Until I saw a light, shining as bright as the sun.

“This light carried me to a shelter, deeper in the mountains than even I dared to tread, and fed me. It let me sleep for days, and when I finally awoke, I saw the graceful Princess Celestia, staring at me with a worried expression.”

“Wait,” Pinkie Pie had jutted in. “Why was Princess Celestia in the Foal Mountians? I thought she left with Luna to a different country to retire.”

Stormfax shook his head. “That’s what Equilarsous told you. In truth, he banished them, believing that, with enough force, they would leave the country and he would be able to rule without any trouble.

“But just the opposite happened. Celestia, after tending to Luna’s wounds, went throughout the country searching for ponies still loyal to her. When she had found a decent amount, they went into the Foal Mountains and created a colony, where they began to plan Equilarsous’ downfall. About a year later, another six months after I arrived, an elite group of fliers who called themselves the Wonderbolts appeared to the colony, telling them all that occurred while they were gone. Celestia and Luna had been angered by this. They wanted to begin a war, but one of the Wonderbolts, Spitfire, told them that the new king had made many technological advances, including weaponry. Celestia told me to go to Ponyville and acquire a few of these weapons. So I did.” Stormfax glanced around the shop, as if checking to see if they were being watched, and continued. “I collected about twenty blades and three guns, which were only prototypes at the time. The Wonderbolts, now fully accepted into the rebellion, began training us on how to use the weapons. Luna had been more than ready to learn, since she had wanted her revenge on Equilarsous ever since they were banished. Celestia, however, was less enthusiastic. She felt that fighting with weapons was wrong, that magic should be used. Spitfire then told her that the days of magic were coming to an end. So the princess reluctantly agreed to use the weapons.

“I trained with Luna, as we were both equally ready to fight Equilarsous. Spitfire herself trained us, and I immediately grew to like her. She was smart, and She knew a lot about Equestria. So, in between fighting lessons, she told me everything she knew, even why she and the other Wonderbolts were banished. No, they had not simply left. They had been framed for murder.” Stormfax paused to take a breath.

“So… who did they kill?” Applejack asked him.

“A young pony named Scootaloo,” Stormfax responded. Applejack gasped. Scootaloo was Rainbow Dash’s student… or had been, at least. “But they hadn’t killed her. Equilarsous had, and he framed them. Why, they didn’t know.”

“Equilarsous was trying to get to Rainbow Dash…” Applejack murmured. It made complete sense. If her student and role models were out of the way, then Rainbow Dash would have no choice but to do one thing- join Equilarsous.

“That’s probably correct.” Stormfax said. “Now, once Luna and I finished our training, we began to grow… attached to each other,” Was he blushing? “But… that doesn’t matter. What matters is that I’m back, and so the war has begun.”

Applejack finally arrived at the farm. The place was nice and quiet, unlike the streets of Ponyville. But she still hadn’t gotten used to the eerie silence that had suddenly replaced the loud sounds of work. They hadn’t farmed in months, and nopony bought their goods… was this really the end of magic, and everything that went with it? Were machines and weapons really taking over? Applejack couldn’t see Equestria transforming into some type of industrial wasteland. But it was happening right before her eyes, so she had to accept it.

Applejack entered the house and yelled, “Applebloom, I have a cure! You can go to Canterlot now! You can-”

“Oh, welcome back, Applejack,” a doom, booming voice growled. “You took your time, to say the least.”

Applejack peered into the gloom. “Who… who’s there?” she asked timidly.

“No one, really. Just your fearless ruler.” The pony stepped out of the darkness, and Applejack saw that it was Equilarsous. He stood tall and bulky, with a glowing metal eye and a robotic foreleg. He had Applebloom on his back.

“What are you doing with her?” Applejack growled, tensing.

Equilarsous chuckled. “Taking her away from this…” he glanced around the room, looking for the right word. “…Place.”

“Why?”

“Because she is sick,” Equilarsous responded. “She needs real medical treatment. Besides, she’ll be leaving for Canterlot in a few days, won’t she? I see no reason why she can’t leave now.”

“She hasn’t finished her education yet,” Applejack snarled. “She’s staying here.”

“Why must you be so resistant? Don’t you trust me?”

“No, I don’t trust you. I know who you really are, Equilarsous. You banished you son, thinking he would die out there. But guess what? He’s back, and he’s ready to fight.” There was silence for a few moments, then Equilarsous smiled. He set Applebloom down and began toward Applejack. Once he was just a foot away from Applejack, he unsheathed a diamond blade and swung at her. Applejack pulled out a newly purchased bronze blade. The weapons clashed together, flinging sparks around the room.

“What’s this?” Equilarsous asked, genuinely surprised. “Who gave you that blade, pony?”

“Your son,” Applejack growled. “I also got a cure for Applebloom’s disease.” She swung the blade at Equilarsous, but he nimbly dodged it. He hit Applejack in the back of the head with the hilt of his blade, and she collapsed.

“Not even he can stop me, Applejack,’ Equilarsous said, placing Applebloom on his back. “And you won’t be alive to tell him!” He shot a ball of fire from his horn, which caught the wooden wall on fire. He ran outside, disappearing from Applejack’s view. She smelled smoke, and finally passed out, only one thought flashing through her mind.

‘I'm sorry, Applebloom…”