• Published 6th Nov 2012
  • 1,165 Views, 31 Comments

Gestalt - The Writer's Group



The Writer's Group Collaboration

  • ...
3
 31
 1,165

Dreizehnte

Merc the Jerk was given only the twelfth chapter and was asked to write this thirteenth chapter.


“Oh my,” Twilight quietly said, re-reading over a letter Princess Celestia had sent moments ago. “This does seem to be a problem.”

The night suddenly seemed far darker and ominous than it was mere moments ago--the late night letter suddenly arriving from the Princess not helping the unicorn’s ease in the slightest. Twilight took to pacing in an effort to calm down.

Spike glanced over at the mare. “That letter was pretty vague on why it was so important to get to Canterlot. What do you think this is about? Is Discord free again? Chrysalis?” His face paled. “M-maybe they’ve finally ran out of doughnuts at Joe’s,” He put a shaky hand to his face. “I-I need to sit down. I'm having a panic attack.”

“Spike, stop joking! This is serious!” Twilight snapped. She rose, heading towards the front door. “I'm going to gather everypony!”

The group sat at Twilight's library as the mare came back with Applejack. Dash was nodding off at the corner of the expansive floor, Rarity was drinking from a cup of warm coffee, the pink curlers and pink bathrobe a stark contrast to her normally ladylike demeanor, Fluttershy was quietly speaking to Owlowiscious, and Pinkie Pie was... being Pinkie Pie—she had squeezed into one of the bookshelves and watched Twilight enter the room with childlike wonder.

“Now, I ain't one ta ask too many questions but--” Applejack stifled a yawn. “What in the hay ya need us out an' 'bout here for?”

Twilight marched forward, using her magic to levitate a scroll penned in Celestia's urgent writing.

Dear Twilight,

Your presence is required at the royal castle in Canterlot

immediately. Should you so choose, you may bring your friends.

There’s a train leaving Ponyville at 06.00 tomorrow. I can not

stress how important it is that you come as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Celestia and Luna.”

Applejack raised her brow, scratching at her blonde mane. “Sounds pretty grim, sugarcube. I can't say I'm happy leavin' Mac with the lion's share of chores tomorrow, but I'm comin' with. Seems like it might be somethin' one pony alone can't handle.”

The unicorn nodded her thanks.

“Sounds like it could be dangerous, and exciting, and thrilling and totally awesome! In!” Dash smugly smirked, tapping her hoof to her chest.

“I-I dunno... it could be dangerous and exciting and... m-most of what Rainbow Dash just said,” Fluttershy quietly whispered, hiding behind her mane.

“Well, that may be true, but I for one am not leaving this poor soul alone with only two ruffians for company,” Rarity pointed out, holding her head as high as possible. She levitated a drink of coffee towards her lips and sipped at it once more.

“After we take care of... whatever we need to take care of, let's throw a party!” Pinkie giggled. “Victory parties are best parties!”

She paused, putting a hoof to her chin and gazing towards the corner of her sight. “Well, no. Maybe birthday parties? Anniversaries? Barn mitzvah's? Winter wrap up parties? Everyday parties?” Her face grew panicked. “Weekend parties? School parties? Maybe traveling parties? Jewelry parties? C-Celestia, I don't know! There's too many of them to count!”

“Every party's the best party when you're involved,” Twilight offered, trying to calm the energetic ball of energy.

“I like that answer!” the pink pony replied, nodding chipperly.

“Well, since you girls are here, we might as well throw a slumber party!” Twi exclaimed, smiling euphorically.

Applejack and Rarity exchanged an uneasy glance.

“Uh, a-alright, Twi. But ya gotta remember: we gotta get up bright an' early ta catch that train. So I'd say we should jus' hit the hay right about now.”

“A valid point, Applejack.” Twilight nodded, turning and trotting up the stairs. “I'll get some spare blankets, make yourselves comfortable, everypony.”

“Excellent save,” Rarity whispered under her breath to Applejack.

“Every once in a while I can do alright,” the farmpony quietly said back.

The train came at six'o'clock on the nose and the mares boarded it, none of them having a clue what they were about to go up against.

The castle town of Canterlot was busy as usual, even at this early morning. Bakers, bankers and brick-layers all pleasantly bid one-another a good morning over a cup of coffee and a newspaper. Up ahead in the distance, the castle stood proudly, a gem among a town of gems. Twilight gave a nod to her friends, and they traveled towards the distance.

Luna tensely paced inside the deserted throne room, glancing repeatedly at the imposing double doors leading to the rest of the castle. She felt like a clock far too wound up, and every click of her hooves on the well polished, white marble was a reminder that time was of the essence.

Finally, those double doors opened and in came the six elements of harmony.

“Good morning, Princess,” Twilight said. She gave a low, humble bow, as did everypony else in the room. The goddess of the night shook a hoof in protest.

“Hold thine head high, young Twilight. 'Tis foolish to believe thineself or thine friends below me. If anything, I should be bowing to thou.”

“How about we all jus' stop with the formalities an' get on with it?” Applejack suggested, rising her head.

“We concur,” Luna said. She sighed, moving to take a seat at the royal throne. “As thine group can tell, Celestia is absent from the royal throne room.” The dark mare stared hard at everypony present. “She has fallen ill.”

Twilight raised a brow. “She can get sick?”

“Not naturally. Disease and fever do not grace the brow of the Sun Goddess.” Her face scrunched up in troubled thought. “T'was a curse brought upon by a creature called Gestalt. One that shall grow stronger with each day it remains unchecked.”

“Gestalt, huh? Sounds like the name of a Daring-Doo villain,” Rainbow Dash quipped.

“He is an ethereal being of great power, and a monster of malicious intent. Using a magical hand mirror, he possessed the body of a guard and struck down Celestia with a bolt of magic.”

“Is she...?” Twilight trailed off, afraid to voice her thought. Luna wanly smiled.

“Nay, Twilight Sparkle. As mentioned, she is merely struck with a debilitating affliction. One that no balm or rest can hope to reverse. In order for her body to recover, and to preserve the safety of Equestria, the creature known as Gestalt must be slain.”

“Then what are we waitin' fer? Let's start ourselves a lill' posse an' round the fella up,” AJ said, stamping a hoof to emphasize her point.

“'Tis not that easy, unfortunately. The body Gestalt possessed was none other than our brave captain of the guard: Shining Armor.”

Twilight visibly winced, flattening her ears as a black pit formed in her stomach. “N-no,” she quietly whispered.

“I'm sorry, Twilight, but we might have to...” Luna let her silence speak volumes.

“Why not just use the elements of harmony? I-it worked when you were all... scary,” Fluttershy offered, flinching when she saw everyponies attention drawn to her.

“Because this beast is beyond redemption. Even upon my darkest hour, I had no blood grace my hooves. That creature, however, knows nothing of harmony. In fact, the last words he spoke as he feld out a window to parts unknown were, 'We are the land, and very soon, it will burn.'

“He is a creature of no remorse. And that is why we may have to end the life of Shining Armor in order to bring out his incorporeal form again.”

Twilight looked down, concentrating. “One night,” she said.

“Would thou repeat your words? We did not understand.”

“Give me one night to study before we begin looking for him. I know my brother's magical aura, I could follow it like the back of my hoof. J-just give me a night in the royal library—I'm sure I can find a spell that could separate Gestalt from my brother, somehow. Please.”

Luna gave pause, then nodded, magic surrounding her horn for the briefest of moments. “Twilight Sparkle: We have sent a message to the guards of the archives. The entire room is open to you—do as you see fit. On the 'morrow, We humbly ask that thou begins your quest. We would accompany you, but We--I” she corrected, “Find myself unable to, due to Celestia's illness.” She gave a nod towards the door. “You and your companions are dismissed for now. I may speak to everypony later today, if time allows.”

“Thank you, Princess,” Twilight said, bowing deeply once more. She turned to leave.

Luna seemed to reconsider. “Actually, young Twilight; We would ask that thou speak to us alone for the briefest of moments.”

The unicorn turned around once more, giving a nod over her shoulder to the rest of her friends. They went on without her, exiting the room.

“Was there something else, Princess?”

Luna rose from the royal seat, moving toward the large windows. Sunlight spilled through the glass, the alicorn winced at its brightness. Twilight wordlessly joined Luna by the windows.

“Thou truly are an amazing mare,” the black mare said. “Despite thine youth, you've proven thineself on numerous occasions to be a reliable friend, and a more than adequate leader.” She turned, staring at the unicorn. “There is power in threes, Twilight Sparkle, thou can see it even in untouched nature.” Luna shook her head, her mane falling gently at her side. “What I'm saying, Twilight, is that some day, one sooner than later; thou will become our third—thou will live up to thine namesake and become the bridge between the land of day and the land of night.”