• Published 5th Jan 2012
  • 4,836 Views, 53 Comments

My Little Pony: Background Ponies are Magic - AbsoluteXero

  • ...
2
 53
 4,836

Episode 1: Showing Off is Magic Pt1A

My Little Pony:
Background Ponies are Magic
By: AbsoluteXero

Episode one: Showing Off is Magic Pt 1A

Once upon a time... in the.... magical land of.... Equestria... snore...” Trixie’s head drooped down. She had been nodding off for a while, but a sudden noise had woken her up. Looking around Trixie realized it had been her snore. She attempted to stifle a yawn. “Why is Princess Celestia having Trixie read this book?” Slowly standing up and stretching Trixie reached out and picked up the book with her magic and slipped it into her saddle bag. Slowly walking away from the tree she had been reading under Trixie muttered to herself. “Nightmare Moon is just an old mare’s tale anyway....”

Trixie started down the main path though Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns. Further down the path she saw three unicorns approaching on the path, all three froze as she drew near. Trixie had seen them around the school before, she was vaguely certain the blue one was named Colgate, or was that a nickname? As for the white one and the yellow one she had no idea.

“Oh! Hi Trixie, what are you doing around here?” ‘Colgate’ flicked her tail nervously and looked around.

Trixie flipped her mane. “Trixie was mearly passing some time in the garden?” She then smiled somewhat sinisterly. “Though Trixie has to ask, why does it matter to you where Trixie spends her time?” She then got up very close to ‘Colgate.’ “Is there something you want to tell Trixie?” Leaning in close she lightly blew into the filly’s ear. ‘Colgate’ gasped in complete horror and seemed to fly back several hooves. Trixie laughed again. “Do not fear, Trixie was just having a little fun. Go along now, Trixie has other matters to attend to.” With that Trixie continued down the path with her nose in the air.

The three unicorns waited until Trixie was out of earshot before turning to each other, the white one turned to the other two. “It’s a good thing she didn’t know about Moondancer’s party.” The other two nodded quickly before they all set off hoping Trixie would not be returning anytime soon.

***

Trixie slowly dropped her head as she approached the spire that was her home. She grumbled to herself. “Trixie does not like all these steps...” She slowly began to make the trek up. “Trixie should not have to do all this walking. There should be an elevator for Trixie’s use.” She nodded at this thought. “Perhaps Trixie should make her assistant install one? Yes, Trixie likes this idea.” Her monologue concluded Trixie stood in front of her door.

A minute passed.

Two. Trixie started to tap her hoof.

Three. Trixie’s face started to turn very sour.

Four. Trixie started to pace back an forth.

Finally on five Trixie yelled in a voice that caused a small earthquake in Appleloosa. “Trixie does not wish to be kept waiting!

Behind the door there was a loud yelp, followed by the sound of somepony’s hooves running before a loud crash that sounded to Trixie like a lot of her worldly possessions meeting an untimely demise.

After a few seconds Trixie heard hooves slowly approaching the door, she heard the lock from the inside clattering open before the door opened to reveal a rather battered looking Snails. “H-hello your Great and Powerfulness.”

Trixie slowly walked into her home, it was not as bad as she had feared, only two book cases had been knocked over. And most of the items on the ground were books, and books are not easily damaged by falling. Having assessed the damage Trixie turned back to Snails. “Why did you take so long to open the door for Trixie? Trixie specifically put an enchantment to notify you when she approached the door.”

Snails pawed the ground with a hoof. “Well, your Great and Powerfulness, you’d only just left, so I thought I had time for a quick nap.” He looked up at Trixie sheepishly. “You’re usually gone for much longer.”

Trixie flipped her mane again and walked up the stairs to the second floor of her home, up there were her more valuable items, as such Snips was very rarely allowed up there. Trixie briefly turned to him. “You may come up, I’ll need you to take a letter.”

“Oh! Right away your Great and Powerfulness!” This news brightened Snips’ face and he quickly dashed off behind a bookcase to get a quill and parchment.

Trixie settled herself in front of a glass case while she waited. She sat there staring at the case longingly. Inside it was Trixie’s most prized possessions, a matching hat and cape, both purple and covered with stars. Trixie smiled slightly thinking of the last time she wore that outfit.

***

“All right everypony! Watch in awe!” a filly Trixie waved her hooves as her horn glowed and a bouquet of flowers appeared. Trixie smiled out at the audience her eyes beaming, “Well? Who would like these magical flowers?”

“Actually those flowers aren’t magical.” a young filly’s voice in the crowd called out.

“What?” Trixie looked around in the crowd but could not tell who had said that.

“The flowers aren’t magical, you just teleported them, simple magic really.” the filly’s voice continued, “Almost any unicorn could do it.”

***

Trixie shook her head, her smile having turned to a scowl, now was not the time to remember that. That had been so long ago, years ago, besides, she did not want to scare herself out of performing for another year.

“Here I am your Great and Powerfulness.” Snips slowly cantered up behind Trixie, struggling to hold the parchment, quill, and ink in the air with his magic.

Trixie sighed and rolled her eyes. “Here, let Trixie.” She reached out and took all three items with her own magic. Setting them down on the ground neatly Trixie turned around and started to dictate.

“Dear Princess Celestia,

Trixie is unsure why you insist Trixie reads these old mare’s tales, Nightmare Moon is a tale that is only told to scare little foals. And Trixie is no foal. Trixie feels that she has much better use of her time. As it is,” Trixie paused for a moment, then continued, “Trixie would like to request that you let Trixie go on tour again. Trixie feels she is ready to face her fear.

Your Student,

Trixie (Great and Powerful)”

Trixie turned around to face Snips. “Did you get all of-” Her words caught in her throat as she look at Snips, she had been so caught up in her thoughts she had not heard the clatter behind her, but looking at the aftermath Trixie could piece together what had happened.

Shortly after Trixie had started dictating Snips had reached over to grab the quill with his hoof, why he did so instead of with magic was beyond Trixie, realizing he could not grab it with his hoof, big surprise, he reached over with both. This of course took out support from underneath him crashing down his face hit the ink well which shattered and ruined the page, now having a face covered in ink, he also realized that he had not been listening to what Trixie had been saying. Panicking he brought a hoof up to his face to get some ink on it, he then brought it down to the paper to try and write the rest of her message; sadly however a hoof is not a very good writing instrument and he promptly ripped the paper. Now panicking he tried to run down the stairs to grab another sheet, only to slip on his now ink covered hoof and fall. That was when Trixie turned around.

Snips quickly realized Trixie’s eyes were on him. Slowly turning to face her his eyes began to water. “Um... *sniff* … y-your Great and... *sniff* ...P-p-powerfulness, I-I-I’m... sorry!” At this he began to openly weep.

Trixie slowly came over to him, sitting down next to him Trixie sighed then pulled him in briefly for a hug. “It’s okay, Trixie will fix it, you go wash up.”

Snips slowly wiped his tears. “R-really? *sniff* It’s okay?”

Trixie raised an eyebrow slightly. “Well, Trixie wouldn’t say ‘okay.’ But manageable is a fine word to use.” She then nudged him in the direction of the bathroom.

Snips smiled weakly and wiped away his tears. “Oh-okay, I- *sniff* I’ll just go and get cleaned up.” With that Snips quickly cantered off.

Trixie watched him go, then turning down to look at the mess she shook her head. “Thank Celestia for magic.” Slowly her horn began to glow, as it did the ink that had been spilled slowly lifted off the ground and was carried over to the trash. She then quickly flipped her head and the ruined paper followed suit. Trixie then reached out and pulled another ink well and piece of parchment to her.

Sitting down Trixie began to rewrite her letter. “Dear Princess Celsestia...” It had not been the first time Snips had failed to take a letter down, and it would probably not be the last. He could be so clumsy sometimes, and was honestly more trouble than he was worth. But, it is not like Trixie could just throw him out, it is after all her own fault he needed to be looked after. Trixie finished her letter. “Your Student, Trixie (Great & Powerful)” She slowly rolled up the scroll and set it on the table next to her, now she just had to wait for Snails so she could send the letter.

***

Snips was sitting quietly in the tub. Even a bubble bath, which was his favorite, could not lift his spirits. He felt bad that he had failed Trixie. “You gotta do better Snips.” He said to himself. He lowered his muzzle underneath the water and blew to make some more bubbles still feeling depressed.

After another minute of wallowing Snips finally got to scrubbing the ink out of his coat and mane. Finally clean he got out of the bath, drained the water, and shook himself dry.

***

Trixie heard Snips approaching and quickly took her eyes off of her hat and cape. “All Clean?” she asked. Snips nodded his head. “Alright then.” She lifted the scroll over to him with her magic. “Send this off to the princess.” Snips looked at the paper intently, slowly he started to look as though he was going to be sick when suddenly a belch of green flame escaped from his mouth and incinerated the letter.

“Do you think the princess will reply soon?” asked Snips.

Trixie nodded briefly as she started to head down the stairs. motioning for Snips to follow her. “Trixie would expect so. The nature of Trixie’s letter is one that she would find most pressing.” Trixie tried to smile.

Snips looked as though he was about to ask a follow up question when he started to be overcome with a familiar feeling. If asked to describe what it felt like he would say nausea, but that was not quite right. It was like feeling sick, but knowing you are not sick. The end result of this feeling was always the same, he belched green fire, and then suddenly a scroll formed. Trixie caught it with her magic.

Unrolling it Trixie read aloud.

My Dear Student Trixie,

I cannot begin to say how proud I am you have worked up to courage to go back on the road. I realize that after that incident several years ago you have shied away from such actions as you used to love.

If you wish to do a show though, may I ask that it be for my benefit? Tomorrow I will be holding the Summer Sun celebration in Ponyville, would you be willing to do your show the night before? If you would, you may head out right away. I have already made arrangements for your cart to be polished and set up, it should be waiting for you outside.

Also if you do decide to do a show in Ponyville I’ve attached a list of local ponies who may be able to help.

Princess Celestia


P.S. And as far as reading about Nightmare Moon, I believe stories can have very real effects on ponies, even one-thousand years later.

***

Trixie could not help but smile as she entered into Ponyville, true she was completely terrified of what she was doing, there was a part of her that still wanted to just run back to Canterlot Castle. “Maybe Trixie could run... only Celestia knows of Trixie’s intent, and she would forgive Trixie, let her back in and- No! This way of living could no go on. True that filly had ruined things in the past, but that was the past, this is now, and tomorrow will be the future! Trixie will not going to let the past ruin that future...” Trixie was posed dramatically hoof in air. Slowly she lowered back to her haunches. “But what if it did?”

As this debate raged on Snips slowly approached her. “Umm... your Great and Powerfulness?” Snips prodded her lightly with a hoof.

“Ahh!” Trixie exclaimed as she was startled out of her monologue.

Snips jumped back a hoof. “S-sorry, your Great and Powerfulness.” He said dropping his head to the ground.

Trixie turned to look at him. “It’s alright, you didn’t do anything wrong, you just startled Trixie.” She then glanced in front of the cart, not seeing anypony in front of her she decided to let the cart continue unguided for a while. Turning back to Snips Trixie asked. “What did you want to ask Trixie?”

Snips bounded back to his hooves, he had the quickest rebound Trixie had ever seen. “Well, I was a bit excited when I found out we were going to Ponyville, see... umm... I have a pen pal here.”

Trixie looked at Snips a bit confused. “You send letters here? To who?”

Snips smiled. “To my pen pal!”

Trixie stared for a moment, realizing this was all Snips was saying she motioned with her hoof and prodded. “And this pony’s name is...?”

“Oh!” Snips exclaimed. “Snails!”

“Snails?” Trixie thought for a moment. “Trixie has not given him a day off in a long time...”

Snips sat patiently as Trixie thought out loud, it was a common occurrence, the rare times were when she thought quietly. Usually if that was happening, something was wrong.

“...though Trixie might need him...” Trixie continued.

It was a nice day Snips thought, Ponyville was a much calmer place. Snips had never really liked Canterlot, too busy. This was more his style, calm; it reminded him of home even. Where was home again?

“Alright.” Trixie said as she reached a decision; Snips snapped to attention. “Trixie will let you go see your pen pal, but Trixie requires that you stay out of trouble, and you return before dark.”

“Yes ma’am, your Great and Powerfulness!” Snips saluted then scampered off the side of the cart.

Trixie watched him running off, sighing she turned around to face where she was going only to be met with the sight of an oncoming collision. “AHHH!” Trixie used all of her energy to arrest her cart’s momentum before it hit the strange object that had appeared in front of her, she barely succeeded.

Trixie inhaled deeply for a few seconds before turning her attention to the object, she had been to busy panicking to take in any details before, but now she was looking she was able to tell the object in front of her was a strange blue box. On top it read, Police Public Call Box. “What is this?Trixie would swear that this had not been here earlier.” As Trixie sat there the doors suddenly burst open and out rushed a slightly singed looking brown stallion.

“Alright, that’s the last time I mess with the wibbly lever.” he gasped as he exited, his coat seemed burned in places.

“Who are you?” Trixie asked eyeing the stallion uneasily. “And why were you in a small blue box?”

“Huh?” The stallion turned to her. “Oy! You’re Trixie!”

Trixie looked taken aback, she had been off the show circuit for several years, and even when she was she had only been a filly, she had not expected anyone to still recognize her. “Yes, Trixie is herself. Would you like an autograph?”

“Oh yes that would be-” The stallion started before interrupting himself. “But wait, you’re not supposed to be here, not for a while yet, it’s only...” he looked at the sky as though trying to judge something. “...Oh my... it’s just about be be the one-thousandth summer sun celebration.” He looked back at her slightly worried, but more excited.

“Yes.” Trixie nodded. “And...?”

“Well...” the stallion looked slightly embarrassed. “You’re not supposed to show up in Ponyville for a while.”

Trixie was starting to get irritated. “Yes, Trixie will just leave then. Trixie will just send a letter to the Princess explaining that some strange brown stallion with an hourglass cutie-mark is telling her she shouldn’t be in Ponyville yet.”

“Wait. Princess?” The stallion asked looking completely confused.

“Yes.” Trixie spat out her words like venom. “Trixie’s teacher. Princess Celestia.”

The stallion gasped. “What!? I fell into a parallel dimension?” He started to look more panicked, “How...? Was this the wibbly lever? Or did I accidentally bump the...” his voice trailed off as he started to wander around the box, stroking it like a pet... or a lover.

Trixie stood quietly for a moment before getting irritated, but just as she was about to say something the stallion turned back to her. “Have you met any other ponies yet? Like a pink one?”

Trixie was confused for a moment. “No. You’re the first pony Trixie has met.”

“What!? No! That isn’t fair!” The stallion looked positively panicked. “I refuse to be this dimension’s Pinkie Pie!” He quickly ran around to the other side of the box as though to check something, he then yelled out. “Pinkamina Diane Pie!!!!”

There was silence.

For a minute.

Slowly the stallion returned to Trixie, he seemed... deflated. “...Fine...” he looked up at her slowly, then suddenly jumping into the air he gasped with his eyes wide then turned a fled into the box again.Trixie quickly looked over her shoulder to see if anypony was behind her, seeing nopony she turned back and just stared as strange sounds started to be emitted by the strange object. Vworp! Vworp! Vworp! Slowly the box faded away to nothing.

“What was that all about?” Trixie wondered aloud.

Author’s Note: Thank you for reading (rereading) this first chapter. A bit more original then the first version, I also now have an idea of what I want to do other than just rehash the episodes. I apologize again for the delay (I really do). I really (really) hope it doesn’t happen again. But even if it takes forever I will finish this story. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my ey- OW!!!