• Published 4th Nov 2012
  • 4,126 Views, 110 Comments

Equestria Noir Case 14 "A Glimmer of Hope" - Jacoboby1



A kidnapping mystery in white tail woods, covers the return of one of Private's most vile enemy

  • ...
2
 110
 4,126

Chapter 7 "Element of Kindness"

Chapter 7

“Element of Kindness”

I leaped out of the way as Genova tried to tackle me. She glared at me and hissed angrily. I looked at the kids. “Get out of here! Go to the police!”

“I’m not leaving you!” Tailspin shouted as I set him down.

“I’ll be fine” I smiled at him “I’m an Eye; we do this kind of thing all the time”

“That’s my bro,” Tailspin said as Scootaloo picked him up, and the kids ran out the main door.

“Don’t let them get away, Genova!” Glimmer shouted, from her position at the top of the stairs.

Genova was about to run, but I aimed Blackbird at the Alicorn, and shot her in the leg. She let out a howl of pain, and glared at me again. “You aren’t going to get my brother on my watch.”

Genova growled and charged at me, but this time she was hit in the leg by a buckshot. I looked over and saw Big Mac, shotgun in his hooves, smiling. “Came tah save ya, Private.”

“Where’s Fluttershy and Twilight?” I asked, while reloading Blackbird.

“They’re right behind me, we took care of 'em zombies with this bad boy.” He held the shotgun proudly.

“You know how to use that?” I asked.

“Eeeyup,” he looked as Genova started to get up. “She’s just a really big Timber wolf.”

Genova growled again. She flapped her enormous wings and flew towards me. I fired a couple of shots that missed, but Big Mac had better luck, hitting the beast in the wing. Genova howled in pain and came crashing down on the smoldering carpet. As she got to her feet slowly, her horn was beginning to glow.

I aimed Blackbird and hit her in the horn. Whatever spell she hoped to cast, it didn’t matter if her horn got hit. The bullet grazed the horn and Genova screeched in pain.

“You useless thing!” Glimmer shouted. “You can’t even kill two stallions?”

“Mother, I’m sorry…” Genova said slowly.

“Kill them now!” Glimmer pointed at us. “Prove you are worthy of being called my daughter!”

Genova growled and slowly rose to her feet. She looked ready to tackle me. I aimed my gun at her heart…

Genova was stopped as Fluttershy jumped in between us. Big Mac looked at Fluttershy in shock “Shy?” He asked, looking confused.

Fluttershy’s aqua eyes looked at Genova with sympathy “Geny, I know you don’t want to do this.”

“You,” Genova said, looking at Fluttershy, her eyes slowly returning to normal. “You said you were going to help me…”

I tried to aim my gun at the distracted beast but Fluttershy got between my gun and the Alicorn. “Fluttershy! Back off!”

She shook her head. “No! She doesn’t know what she’s doing!”

“In case you failed to notice,” I pointed out, “that thing is the reason all those kids almost got killed!”

She looked at me with soft aqua blue eyes. “Stop trying to be a vindicator, and try and be a healer”

I slowly understood, if I killed Genova, I’d be no better than Glimmer. Genova didn’t deserve to be killed for not knowing another way of life.

Kindness….

A healer…

Fluttershy…

Chanting…

A bright light came from my horn and a cord of light shown from it and met Fluttershy’s chest. Fluttershy closed her eyes and a necklace formed on her, a pink butterfly like her cutie mark. Slowly we rose into the air and Fluttershy turned to Genova. Her voice and mine seemed to be in sync…

Little one, do not be in pain anymore. You will soon be free…

We lifted our hooves together and Genova seemed to be growing smaller. Her wounds began to heal as she slowly turned back into the filly she once was. Her eyes opened, no longer the evil ones of the monster she was., but those of a normal frightened filly.

When we landed back on the ground, Genova ran to Fluttershy. She hugged the pegasus’ legs tightly “I’m sorry! I’m so sorry”

Fluttershy gently nuzzled Genova on the head “It’s okay, you aren’t a slave anymore.”

“You bitch!” Glimmer shouted. “You destroyed my plans!”

“YOU!” Fluttershy said with all the rage of an angry bear “HOW DARE YOU! YOU WHO WOULD ENSLAVE THESE CHILDREN FOR YOUR OWN SICK GAIN!”

“No!” Glimmer shouted “I will not be denied!”

Glimmer pulled a strange syringe from her pocket. “If you want something done right, you should do it yourself. I’ll kill you all!” She stabbed the syringe into her leg.

I watched in horror as Glimmer transformed into a huge black and violet Alicorn. Her mouth opened to reveal sharp teeth inside. She extended her large mutated wings, her eyes reflecting her true madness.

I looked to Fluttershy “Get out of here!”

Fluttershy shook her head. “I’m not letting her get away with this!”

“Private!” I turned to see Twilight coming out with Pip. She saw in horror that Glimmer was advancing on me. “We gotta get out of here,” She cried, gesturing to the fire, “Before that hits the gas!”

I nodded “Come on!”

Fluttershy scooped up Genova, and we all made a break for the door. Big Mac turned and fired the last of his buckshot at Glimmer’s leg. Once more he scored a hit and Glimmer let out a screech of pain. Big Mac slammed the door behind him, and we all were outside, just as the sun was starting to rise.

I saw all of the kids among the trees and Fluttershy placed Genova with them. “Take good care of her,” she instructed them, softly.

All four of us looked on as the mansion burned. I turned to the kids. “Go get help kids! Tell them where the mansion is!”

Rumble nodded. “We’ll hurry, Private!”

The kids ran into the woods at blinding speed. I looked as the door burst open and out came Glimmer. She howled madly, and fired a bolt of magic at us. All four of us dodged and I returned fire with Blackbird. Both shots hit the beast in the chest. She screeched in pain even though the bullets didn’t penetrate into her flesh.

“Damn!” I cursed loudly, as I started to reload.

Twilight fired her own magic at Glimmer, hitting her in the chest. The beast howled, and howled even louder when Big Mac tackled her. He slammed his hoof into her face and yelled, “Nopony takes mah family ya hear! Nopony!”

Glimmer kicked Big Mac off her and the workhorse slammed into a nearby tree. Glimmer roared as a strange claw formed out of her hoof. She swung it towards me and the claw cut me across the chest. I yelled in pain as Glimmer bucked me into a tree.

Twilight ran to me and looked at me worriedly. “Are you all right?”

“I’m fine” I said, getting up, I saw Big Mac get thrown off again by Glimmer. The mad Alicorn pressed her hoof down on the stallion and raised her claw to stab him…

All of the sudden, Fluttershy tackled Glimmer, knocking her off Big Mac. She flew to her special somepony and looked at him lovingly. “Are you okay, Big Mac?”

“Ah’m better than okay,” Big Mac said, smiling up at her. “Ah think Ah’m in love.”

“Oh, Big Mac,” Fluttershy said, a blush coming to her cheeks.

“Uh, guys!” I interrupted, looking at Glimmer. “Big scary Alicorn still here!”

Fluttershy stood protectively over Big Mac. She glared right at the Alicorn and spoke firmly “HOW DARE YOU!”

Glimmer was taken aback by the Pegasus’ sudden aggressiveness.

“LISTEN HERE! JUST BECAUSE YOU HAD A SORRY LIFE DOSEN’T MEAN YOU CAN HURT OTHERS! I’M SICKENED BY THE FACT THAT I EVEN SHARE THE SAME AIR AS PONIES LIKE YOU! YOU MAY BE BIG AND STRONG, BUT YOU DO NOT, I REPEAT, YOU DO NOT HURT MY FRIENDS!!!”

My jaw dropped, Twilight just closed it with a bemused smile.

Glimmer fell back as Fluttershy’s eyes opened wide. The power of the stare was disabling Glimmer. This could be my chance!

“Private!”

I looked up and saw Shining Armor on a sky carriage, with a pair of royal guards pulling it. He looked down at me with a smile. “The Calvary has arrived!”

“No time for flashiness, Shining!” I shouted. “Do you have any heavy weapons?”

Shining nodded, and threw down a rocket launcher. It landed at my hooves. “Destroy the monster with this! Twili, Your magic can amplify the rockets to take that thing out!”

“Right!” Twilight affirmed, nodding.

I levitated the rocket launcher as Glimmer snapped out of her stupor and advanced on Fluttershy once again. Suddenly a barrier formed around Glimmer, trapping her inside a pink ball. She tried to slash at it with her claw, but to no avail. I looked up and saw that Shining was causing that shield to hold.

Twilight’s magic entered the weapon, and I aimed it at Glimmer. If I aimed it just right…

“Hey, old hag!” I yelled.

Glimmer glared at me with reptilian violet eyes .

“Say hello,” I smirked, as the Rocket launcher loaded a missile, “to my little friend!” I used my magic to pull the trigger.

The missile fired out of the launcher and hit the ball, causing an explosion that shot the pink barrier inside the burning mansion. Shining jumped down from his carriage and we all huddled around him. A shield came up just as I fired a second rocket into the mansion. Glimmer gave one last screech of pain before the entire mansion burst into an inferno.

After almost five minutes under Shining’s Shield I looked on. The mansion was nothing but smoldering ashes. Ironic really, fire almost destroyed me. Now it destroyed Glimmer. I guess it got tired of being used by her as well.

Fitting…

________________________________________________________

“This is all so crazy Private” Shinebadge said after the cops came “Zombies, crazy unicorn bitches, and some kid who’s a clone? Here I thought your other cases were crazy”

“It’s all true, Chief,” Shining Armor said, as he stood beside me. “My men have found the remains of the lab in the wreckage. We couldn’t recover any of the lab notes or equipment, but I think its best that way.”

Shinebadge nodded his head and looked at me. “Never thought I’d miss the days of simple lost fillies in cake shops.”

“At least Glimmer is truly gone,” I said, with a nod. “I would’ve liked to have arrested her, but some things can’t be avoided.”

Shinebadge turned and went to talk to some more uniforms. The police and royal guard would continue to investigate the charred remains of the mansion. As Shining and I walked together, he turned his alabaster head to me. “Look Private, I just want to say thanks for looking after Twili.”

“It’s my pleasure,” I said, smiling at him. I ran a hoof along the bandaged area where Glimmer clawed me. Rarity was going to be ticked that she would have to fix my trench coat, again. I’m going to need to find a secondary tailor at this point. “I’d do anything for her”

“Not many guys would throw themselves at monsters to protect kids like that,” Shining said, with a small smile. “Wish I had more guys like you on the guard.”

“You flatter me” I said, closing my grey eyes. “I just do my job.”

“Just make sure Twili doesn’t get hurt too much okay?” He winked at me. “I wouldn’t want you to have an accident, now would I?”

Still remembering how Shining had just as much magical potential as his sister, I smiled nervously. Shining and I may be friendly, but that didn’t mean I wasn’t scared shitless of him at times. I guess it just came from being a big brother.

I wonder if I would be like that if I had a sister?

Shining turned to see a guard beckoning him over. “I gotta go, Celestia will want to hear about all of this.”

I nodded. “Say hi to Cadence for me, will you?”

“I will, and,” he just smiled, “thanks.”

“For what?” I asked, tilting my head.

“For making sure I had a wife to come home to,” he replied, as he walked off.

I guess in his mind he will always owe me for freeing him from jail like that. Not one of my prouder cases, but I did get two very good friends out of it.

I left the police and royal guard to their investigation and walked to where Twilight was standing. She walked to me and looked past me at Shining “What were you guys talking about?”

“Oh, you know, guy stuff.” I shrugged.

She rolled her eyes “Stallions…”

____________________________________________________________

“Miss Cherilee!” All of the kids shouted, as we brought them back to their teacher. Cherilee looked at them and ran to them with open hooves. The kids ran over to her. Everypony gave the teacher a group hug as Big Mac, Fluttershy, Twilight and I watched.

Cherilee looked down at all of the kids, tears were in her eyes. Sweetie Belle was the first to speak up, “What’s wrong Miss Cherilee?”

“I couldn’t stop that monster from taking you all,” the grape earth pony said, wiping her eyes. “I’m your teacher; it was my job to look out for all of you.”

Diamond was about to say something, but everypony gave her a glare that got her to shut up. Tailspin slid off Scootaloo’s back and looked up at Cherilee. “You did look out for us.”

“Tailspin?” Cherilee said, looking down at my brother.

“You got my brother over here, didn’t you?” Tailspin asked, with a smile. “You also called the police, and Twilight’s brother to help us. Sure you may not have stopped Tyran when he took us, but you helped put an end to Glimmer's evil schemes.”

Applebloom spoke up, “Yer our teacher, Miss Cherilee. We still love ya, no matter what happened. You’re still the best teacher in mah mind.”

Everypony else nodded in agreement and Cherilee pulled all of the kids into a tight group hug. That’s when I noticed Tyran looking on nervously from behind me. I looked up at Cherilee. “Cherilee? You got a minute?”

She let go of her kids and I slowly revealed Tyran and Genova. The Alicorn child was hiding behind Fluttershy’s legs. Fluttershy gently pushed Genova into view before Cherilee. I looked at the teacher with a smile. “This is Genova and Tyran, victims of Glimmer’s cruelty.”

Tyran looked up at Cherilee then bowed his head in shame. “I’m sorry I took everypony. Grandma was very mean for making me do that. I’ll accept whatever punishment you could think of.”

Cherilee simply smiled at the colt and patted him on the head. “From the stories I heard, it was you who helped save the children in the end,”

“Ya should’ve seen him, Miss Cherilee!” Applebloom shouted. “He came out of nowhere and whammed Glimmer, just like Big Mac!” She then looked concerned at Tyran “Shame he ain’t got a home now…”

“Is that so?” Big Mac said looking down at Tyran “Well, if ya ain’t got a place tah stay, we could use somepony like you on the farm.”

“You’d take me in?” Tyran asked, looking up at Big Mac with wide eyes.

“Eeyup!” Big Mac smiled at the colt. “Ya deserve better than what that witch put ya through.”

Tyran ran and hugged the big stallion tightly around the leg. Big Mac bent down and nuzzled the colt on the head. Tyran looked over at Applebloom with a smile. “Thank you Applebloom, I wouldn’t have gotten this chance without you!”

“Nuh problem,” Applebloom said, suddenly looking at the ground. I noticed a faint blush on her cheeks.

“What about you, Genova?” Cherilee asked, looking at the Alicorn with concern.

Genova looked down for a minute, and then over at Fluttershy. She looked up at Fluttershy and blue eyes met aqua ones. “Mommy?” She asked, pleadingly.

Fluttershy looked at me nervously. I simply smiled. “Looks like you have a very different kind of critter to look after.”

“I guess she’ll need somepony to look after her until we can find her a good home,” Fluttershy smiled and nuzzled the Alicorn child. “It’s all right, Geny, I’ll give you a nice warm home.”

I looked around; everypony was just coming together after this hell of a day…

Still I wonder, where did Glimmer get those bodies…?

__________________________________________________________

Perspective:???

“My master!” The pitiful creature in front of me cried plaintively. The poor thing had lost its ability to transform into an Alicorn. All of this whining and groveling was really getting quite annoying. No wonder dear Celestia can’t stand it.

“I see you failed to kill that bothersome detective,” I growled.

“Give me another chance master!” She begged, groveling before me. “I promise, I won’t fail you again!”

“Funny,” I said, with a smirk. “You just read my mind. I really have to stop being so predictable. It's so unbecoming.”

“So, you’ll give me a second chance?” she asked, hopefully.

“No,” I said, smiling wider, “I’m just going to make sure you can’t fail me again…”

My magic lifted Glimmer into the air and with a flick of my wrist, I snapped her neck. I tossed her body aside with my magic, my thoughts already moving on to more important matters.

This Detective was really becoming bothersome. Always ruining my plans before they even have the chance to take off. Oh, but it won’t be long. He may have faced Nightmare Moon and come out on top, but he has yet to face me. After all, I came closest to defeating those bothersome Elements…

Time to sow a little Chaos…