• Published 31st Oct 2012
  • 1,243 Views, 118 Comments

Bounty Hunters 3: Genesis - Jasper77W



Rainbow and Octavia plunge into a terrifying new reality in this final story of the trilogy.

  • ...
9
 118
 1,243

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 4: Washed Away

"Only Dainty could crack the terminal..." Octavia sighed.

"She finally got her cutie mark, didn't she?" Rainbow asked, looking down at the necklace.

"She did." Octavia nodded. "There's another filly that came with us. Lily. We found her on the way here... Her parents were already turned into those monsters by then."

"I thought the surface was already a wasteland way before?"

"Yeah. But it's possible for the infections to spread. Best just to keep the dead and the monsters away from you." Octavia said. "Anyway. About the rumor... It says that the space fleet is grouping around the sun, and would fire on any unit, no matter what faction; that approaches the sun."

"The sun?" Rainbow asked incredulously.

"Yeah. There's something about it that they're trying to protect and keep away from us... But we're meant to find out what it is. There's a research facility hidden in the Foal Mountain range. We're meant to head west and find it- it is said that the facility acts as head quarters for the science faction here on earth. Then we can go to the sun and do whatever we need to do there."

"The sun, eh... But how are we going to get there?" Rainbow asked.

Octavia smirked. "Not all magic faction ponies are descendants of magic. Some are science, sided with magic." she said, standing up. "In fact, we have control over twenty percent of the space fleet. It's not enough to take down the science faction, but if the sun is really worth a shot- then they could hold off long enough for us to do what we have to do."

"Right. And we get thrown into this reality just as the crap hits the fan? Just great. Simply, great." Rainbow sighed.

"We should probably go find the fillies." Octavia said, getting up. "The warehouse shouldn't be far from here. If we stay indoors... We should be fine."

Rainbow looked out the window. "We could make these jumps, easy."

Octavia heard a loud bang on the rusted door behind her. "Don't have to ask me again." she said, charging at the window and leaped out, tucking her legs in and rolling into the building on the other side, four meters away. She left a small dust cloud behind her as she slid on the age old carpet of a hotel living room. She got to her hooves; dusting off some ash from her dark clothes. She turned to Rainbow, waving. "What are you waiting for?"

"Nothing." Rainbow shook her head. All the sudden change was starting to give her a headache.

She backed up a few steps, ignoring the pounding on the door behind her. She started running forward, her hooves making solid thuds as she sprinted for the window, leaving behind her a haze of dust.

The pounding on the door had ended in a loud crash, and Rainbow heard a small object clatter into the room with her.

"Shuck- don't stop! KEEP RUNNING!!" Octavia yelled, drawing her pistol.

Rainbow used her wings to assist her and boost her speed, the wind running through her mane. She placed a hoof firmly on the edge, and pushed off. There was a loud bang behind her, and a strong shockwave hit her full in the back. She fell short, clipping her forehead on the ledge before tumbling down below.

Blood seeped out of her injury and floated around her in small crimson bubbles, falling down at the same speed as her. The world was a blur- all dull grey, all but the red droplets of her own blood floating around in her blurry vision. Then everything seemed to snap back- and her mind sharpened instantly.

She splayed out her wings, swinging down and busting through an old window, the glass crisp and shattering on contact. She tumbled onto the carpeted floor of a hotel bedroom, her blood smudging into the soft floor. She slowly got up, a little painfully. Blood continued to drip from her forehead, sliding down her face and merging into the carpet below. There was no sound but the glass sliding off her back as she stood up, her breathing slowly stabilizing.

"Rainbow! You there?" Rainbow didn't realize she had an ear piece on.

"Yeah, I'm here. A little battered though." Rainbow sighed, groaning as her back let out a series of cracking noises.

"You sure? I've got this really big splatter of red on the window ledge." Octavia said worriedly.

"Don't worry... I'm fine." Rainbow said.

"Meet up somewhere? The bastards threw a grenade at you."

"Yeah, I noticed."

"They blocked off that area you just jumped from- so you won't be flying up that way. Try the stairs- this place looks like a hotel. I'll meet you in the reception room, if there is one." Octavia said.

"Will do." Rainbow said, walking slowly to conserve energy and making her way out.

The door wasn't much of a struggle- after seeing all the destroyed crap, it really did surprise Rainbow to find a door that still worked. It squeaked a little when she pushed it open, but that was it. The stairs were dark, and her own hoofsteps were driving her insane as she continued down the stairs- hearing nothing but her own breathing and echoing hoofsteps.

*

Rainbow Dash abruptly woke up, springing to her hooves and looking around her.

"What the hay..?" she looked around at the white emptiness around her.

She was in a white space, with absolutely nothing here. She looked down below, but she was standing on nothing.

She slumped into a sitting position, rubbing her head. She looked down at her hooves- the bright color long faded as harmony slowly died away in the wasteland. Now her skin was just a shade of grey, and her mane that drifted down her shoulders spelt the same fate. Nothing but grey- but unlike Daring Do's, this grey was unhealthy- that of an ill pony. She shook her head vigorously, trying to clear her thoughts. Harmony was long dead in this world- and it's only survival that matters. She started tracking back the events that led her to this empty white dimension.

The science faction was after her a second ago- and she was with Octavia. Lily and Dainty had left for the warehouse to stay away from the fight- and they were all in Manehatten. They had just been dispatched from rebellion headquarters, a secret facility located in the Crystal Mountains- but now where is she?

"Octavia!" she yelled, looking around her. "OCTAVIA!!"

Her voice echoed she didn't know how far- as there were no visual guides to suggest depth. But one thing was certain- there was no response.

"Must be hallucinating." Rainbow said aloud, rubbing her head.

Or, she could've died. Yes, that sounded more likely- but she wasn't about to believe that yet. She did remember hearing the scream of a mortar shell behind her when she was knocked out- but that was it.

Suddenly there was a strong gust of wind that knocked her off her hooves, and she fell on her back; the air leaving her lungs.

"What the hay..!?" she gasped.

She felt a wave of air pass over her, and was instantly blinded by the vibrant colors and bright sunlight that followed. She tried to open her eyes, but the bright colors made them sting.

The laughter and happy chattering of ponies were like music to her ears- it was a beautiful sound she hadn't heard in decades of being simply alive. Her eyes finally adjusted, and they sprung open.

She was in Ponyville, on a sunny day. It was nothing like she remembered it- instead of being completely destroyed, the buildings all rotting in decay; it was vibrant and beautiful- like it was meant to be. Blue skies and white clouds covered the atmosphere, no barricade; and not a shade of grey but one particular crossed-eyed pegasus.

"Pinkie...?" Rainbow asked. It had been such a long time since she'd seen those laughing faces- Twilight, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity...

Rainbow tried to talk to them, but they didn't seem capable of acknowledging her presence. They continued chatting and talking and laughing, like she wasn't there. She walked up to them, but still they didn't even look at her.

"Girls-" she said, then everything thing faded. She tried to reach out and ruffle Pinkie's mane like she always did back then, but before she could everything was gone. The blue sky, the vibrant colors, her laughing friends- all fading back into that white nothingness.

Rainbow stared at where the rest of the mane six were a second ago, her hoof still outstretched. Slowly, it fell down and slumped back at her side. She took one soft sniff, slumping down onto the ground.

"I really wish I could see you all again." she sobbed, a single tear drifting down her cheek as she slowly slid a hoof along the emptiness.

There was a gentle thud ahead of her, and she looked up. Slowly walking away from her, nothing but a dot in the distance. The pony seemed to be wearing identical clothes to her, and had a flowing rainbow colored mane and tail. Blue skin peaked out from under the clothes, and two wings lay folded on her back.

The figure looked vaguely familiar, but Rainbow couldn't remember. Only one way to find out- she got up, and started following the rainbow maned pegasus.

*

"Made it." Rainbow said, walking into the reception.

"Glad you-" Octavia stopped dead when she saw Rainbow's wound. "We really need you bandaged up. Too bad Thyme isn't here... She could get you all fixed up in no time."
"Who the hay is Thyme?" Rainbow raised an eyebrow.

"She... Is a friend of yours. Suppose you don't remember." Octavia lowered her head, her expression seemingly saddened.

Rainbow looked down at the ground. She didn't feel particularly good about anything right now... And she didn't think she wanted to meet Thyme. She was certain that this pony would be nice, but she didn't think she could stand the look on anypony's face when she tells them that she doesn't remember them. It would only hurt more feelings and make things worse.

"They're still after us. Head across the road- let's just hope the barricade doesn't notice us." Octavia said, diverting the topic.

They started walking towards two double doors, the golden framing almost worn away and the glass in shards. Rainbow pushed one open, causing a few pieces of glass to clatter onto the dusty marble floor.

"They're retreating." she said as she exited the building, watching several large drop ships depart the roof high above, engines blaring and sending waves of ash drifting down onto the street.

"That's never good." Octavia said, turning and beginning to walk away.

Suddenly there was a loud bang, and a bright light dropped from the barricade. It was just a bright yellow light spot on the horizon, slowly dropping towards the sea.

"Bomb?" Rainbow asked.

"Doesn't look like one of those explosives... But yes, a bomb. Different kind though- it looks like one of those weather control ones? Can't be sure." Octavia frowned, squinting at the object.

Then it disappeared into the water, causing nothing but a big ripple where it hit the surface.

"Maybe it's nothing." Rainbow said.

"I wouldn't keep my hopes up if I were you." Octavia said. "We really should get the fillies and get the hay away from the coastline."

Then there was a loud but dull thunk, coming from deep underwater and miles away. The amplified sound wave followed by a weak shockwave shook the dust and ash off some of the buildings, also rattling their worn walls in their rusting frames.

At first there was nothing. Then they started hearing the churning of the sea, splashing and roaring. It was distant at first... But slowly it grew louder and louder. Rainbow and Octavia could feel a slight breeze coming from the coast, brushing gently against their skins. The breeze made a hollow sound as it passed the gaping windows of the buildings, like a ghostly whisper.

"This is not good." Rainbow whispered.

The splashing noise had grown to a full roar now. It was a bombardment on their ears, as it still continued to grow- it was as if the sea was a giant monster being constantly fed.

Then a huge dark blue wall towering twenty meters and outlined by white slammed through the buildings, knocking them down like Lego blocks. The wall of water churned and writhed, flooding onto the streets and washing everything away. Old, unused cars were over turned and swallowed into the infinite darkness of the water, drifting away and followed by many other things.

The bomb had triggered a mega tsunami from deep under the sea.

"Shuck! Run! RUN!!" Rainbow yelled, taking off.

Octavia galloped for a building, but the wall of water was faster than the both of them. At first all Rainbow felt was a big wet slap on the back, then before she could take in a breath the water dragged her completely under.

The water was thick, and blocked out almost all traces of sunlight. All Rainbow saw were different shades of a dark greeny-blue. She struggled, trying to take in air- but none was found here in the water. She held a hoof to her throat, trying to hold the air in- but the strong currents and pressure down here was squeezing her lungs. Her mouth opened in a silent scream, a large cluster of bubbles escaping her throat and thwarting her desperate efforts to hold her breath. She gasped, and couldn't help but take another breath- but all there was was water. She kicked around in the water, hitting some debris occasionally.

Then her head suddenly broke the surface, and she gasped. Fresh, beautiful air flooded into her lungs as she sucked in a huge breath. She tried to flap her wings, but the water had made her feathers heavy. She tried to fly, but couldn't as the water weighed her down. She looked around her- Manehatten was crumbling all around her.

The concrete buildings fell as their support structures were knocked down by the water. There was a loud crack and groaning as the city's tallest skyscraper started tipping, slowly falling towards the water. A huge splash amongst hundreds others exploded outwards as the skyscraper slammed onto the water's surface, then exploded into chunks of metal and concrete as the tsunami smashed it into another building, reducing both to nothing but rubble that was continuously carried downstream.

Rainbow was struggling to stay afloat- there was constantly an undercurrent trying to drag her under. She grabbed desperately at the debris, but they did little to keep her on the surface. Then something clamped around her hoof, and dragged her under.

Through the darkness she saw two glowing red eyes, and a metal body that resembled a sea snake. It cut through the water, dragging Rainbow deeper down.

Rainbow gurgled, and launched a kick at the robot. Hell- these guys are everywhere! She lashed out again, but it wouldn't let go- and Rainbow had a feeling that it won't until she breaks it. She hammered it with her hooves again and again, but the metal was holding together.

Rainbow quickly got her cleaver out from her pocket, the red glow of the Element of Loyalty illuminating the darkness. She slid the handle forward, and aimed it down at the robot's head.

See you in hell, asshole. She thought, and pulled the trigger.

The recoil made her tumble back, and the bullet blew the robot's head into shards. Rainbow quickly packed away the cleaver, swimming up to the surface. But there was debris everywhere down here- all tumbling through the water because of the currents.

She finally broke the surface, and saw that she was nowhere near Manehatten- she was in the sea, the entire city being completely flushed away from one side to the other.

There was a deep whine that shook her bones, traveling up in deafening sound waves from the bottom of the sea.

Whatever it was- it didn't sound friendly. At all.

Rainbow started swimming as fast as she could through the water, pieces of debris starting to bubble up on the surface. Then she felt a strong current draw her back as a huge creature broke the surface behind her, roaring loudly.

"The hay..?" Rainbow was then washed away from the creature as the surface smashed back down, sending her drifting away from the creature in a huge wave.

"Rainbow! Shuck- Rainbow! Can you hear me!?" Octavia's voice came through the miraculously still-working mic.

Rainbow spat out a mouthful of water. "Yeah. Loud and clear. You injured?"

"No- and you don't sound like you are. Are you out at sea!?"

"Well, yeah..."

"I just got info from the fleet- the bomb that was launched earlier was another one of those bio bombs! Get out of the water- now!" Octavia yelled.

"I think I figured that out." Rainbow turned around in the water, looking up as a huge mutated killer whale leaped out of the water; arching smoothly through the air and sliding back under the surface without so much as a splash. It made a dull thud as it slid deep under the sea, leaving nothing but a large ripple behind it.

Rainbow heard it roar underwater again. She started swimming as fast as she could for the nearest land, which was about thirty meters away. Adrenaline pumped through her body, greatly raising her oxygen consumption level. She started slowing down, somehow her body feeling much heavier than it was before.

There was a huge roar behind her, and a loud splash as the killer whale leaped out of the water behind her again, its jaws lined with rows of sharp teeth opening wide enough to swallow a bus without chewing.

And a triple decker at that.

PreviousChapters Next