• Published 28th Oct 2012
  • 768 Views, 18 Comments

The Frozen Soul Chronicles - Frozen Icewind



Ice, snow, and cold weather always seems to follow a certain pony...

  • ...
 18
 768

A Cold Truth

The Frozen Soul Chronicles


A pony walked into town for his bi-weekly supply run. The sounds of doors shutting and locking could be heard as he walked by the shops. The pony sighed and held his head down in disappointment. He turned around and began to walk back the way he came. Once everypony was sure he was gone, they opened everything back up again and resumed what they were doing.

“Ah wonder why every pony is scared of that fellah?” A yellow Earth Pony Filly asked her friends.

“They say that he’s a dark omen that brings death wherever he goes...” An orange Pegasus said to her, “Isn’t that right Sweetie Belle?”

A white Unicorn filly nodded, “Yeah, they also say that there’s no head underneath that hood, only a skull!” She replied, her voice squeaked a little as she talked.

“Why would they say that?” Applebloom asked, giving Sweetie Belle a confused look.

“He looks scary, it makes sense he’s have a skull for a head!” Sweetie Belle squeaked, the thought of a pony with a skull head scaring her.

“This is almost as bad as Zecora...” Applebloom said with a hoof on her face, remembering how everypony had treated Zecora because she was scary.

“Well then, why don’t we follow him and see if he’s bad?” Scootaloo asked, “Like what you did with Zecora”

“But what if he does something to us?” Sweetie Belle squeaked. Applebloom and Scootaloo looked at her, barely able to contain their laughter. They never knew Sweetie Belle was such a scaredy cat.

“Don’t worry Sweetie, we’ll protect you!” Applebloom said while giggling, making Scootaloo burst out in laughter. Sweetie Belle glared at the two of them as they rolled around laughing, but after they finished she gave them a sweet smile.

“If you’re going to protect me then why don’t you go first?” Sweetie Belle said sweetly, making Applebloom and Scootaloo look at each other worriedly.

“Ah’m not goin’ first” Applebloom said defensively, “I went first for Zecora”

“That means you have experience!” Scootaloo argued.

“Uh, girls?” Sweetie Belle said quietly, getting angry looks from them.

“What?!” they shouted angrily, making Sweetie Belle shrink back.

The air around them seemed to get colder and colder. A familiar cloaked figure walked past them, an odd purple glow coming from under the hood, “Excuse me...” the figure said, his breath coming out as puffs. He continued to walk past them, walking farther and farther away from the trio.

“Woah...” Scootaloo said slowly as she shivered.

“What was with that purple glow?” Sweetie Belle said as she watched the pony walk further away.

“Maybe it was his skull glowin’” Applebloom said, looking at the pony as he turned a corner up ahead.

“Should we follow him?” Sweetie Belle asked tentatively, giving the other two a worried look.

“Of course we’re going to follow him, we have to find out what’s wrong with him” Scootaloo said arrogantly, starting to walk towards the pony.

“I guess we should go after her” Sweetie Belle said in defeat, getting a nod from Applebloom as they started to trot so they could catch up to Scootaloo.

The pony continued to walk, unaware that he was being followed by the three fillies. He continued his journey, eventually making his way towards a somewhat well kept house on the other side of the railroad tracks.

“Why does he live so far out of town?” Sweetie Belle asked quietly, her eyes going over every inch of the house.

“Maybe he’s like Zecora” Applebloom said innocently, before Scootaloo started walking towards the house.

“Let’s go find out what his deal is” Scootaloo said in determined voice as she stepped over the railroad tracks. Sweetie Belle and Applebloom quickly got up and walked after her when she stopped.

“Why is it so cold?” Scootaloo said with a shiver, quickly joined by the other two.

“Feels like winter right now...” Applebloom said as she moved closer to Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle doing the same on the other side.

“What are you two doing?” Scootaloo asked, being weirded out by her friends as they pushed against her.

“Getting warm” Sweetie Belle said, her horn touching Scootaloo’s chin as she tried to warm herself up.
Suddenly a cage made from Icicles sprang from the ground, ensnaring the trio of ponies.
The hooded figure came back outside of the house, “Who dares intrude upon my property?” He said the air around the house rapidly dropping, causing frost to form on the grass. As he walked towards the cage, he noticed the three fillies cowering in fear, “Oh... Just three young ‘uns...” He mumbled, “Let me get you out of there...” He said to them, an ice blue glow coming from under the hood. The ice cage broke apart into a fine powdery snow, “Now tell me, why are you on my property?” He asked.

“We were, just, uh...” Sweetie Belle stammered, not sure what to say to the mysterious stallion.

“How, how did you do that?” Applebloom asked, looking at the snow around her.

“Ice Magic...” He said flatly, “I use Ice Magic.”

“Ice Magic?” Scootaloo asked innocently, raising an eyebrow at the stallion.

“Yes, Ice Magic... I use magic to control the temperatures around me and cause the water vapor in the air to solidify and shape it the way I want it to.” He explained to the young Pegasus.

“Wow...” Sweetie Belle said slowly, amazed at how nonchalantly he explained his magic.

“So do you start winter every year?” Applebloom asked, poking the snow around her inquisitively.

“No I don’t, my magic isn’t that strong. The Pegasi still do that.” He told Applebloom, laughing a little.

“Awww, I was going to ask if we could skip winter this year...” Applebloom said sadly, kicking the ground lightly.

“So you want to skip winter? Why so? Because it’s too cold?” He asked, wondering why the young Earth Pony didn’t like winter.

“Eeyup...” Applebloom said with a blush, making her friends giggle.

“Hmm... So you’d deny a creature the cold it needs to survive just so you could stay warm?” The stallion asked, giving her a difficult question to answer.

“Uh, yeah, forget I asked...” Applebloom said, looking at the ground in embarrassment.

“It’s okay, you can tell me the truth. Just know, all four seasons exist to match each other. They work in harmony to allow the planet to live on. Just as Spring brings life and Fall let’s it go away... Winter allows the planet to absorb nutrients for the Spring and Summer growth.” He explained to her.

“Ok, so I guess winter isn’t that bad” Applebloom said quietly, “You’re really smart”

“Well, when you study such a dangerous art as Ice Magic... You kinda have to be smart.” He said to her, drawing more questions to the young ponies minds.

“How dangerous is it?” Scootaloo asked innocently.

“Very...” He said, his mood darkening quite quickly.

“Are you okay?” Sweetie Belle asked, getting an ominous feeling from the stallion.

“Well... most of me is...” He said to Sweetie Belle, glancing over at her, the purple glow starting to emanate from under his hood.

“Uh, mister?” Applebloom said slowly, as she tried to look under his hood.

“Yes?” He asked, looking over towards Applebloom.

“Uh, okay...” the three fillies said slowly, giving each other worried looks.

“What is it? Is something wrong?” He asked the three of them, looking at each of them.

“Uh, it’s...” Sweetie Belle started, looking at the other two for help.

“We just remembered something, that’s all” Scootaloo said quickly, giving the stallion a sincere smile.

“Ah... Well, I guess you’ll be on your way then.” He said to them, slowly turning around.

The three fillies watched as the stallion went back to his house, leaving them alone outside. Just as he closed the door Scootaloo turned to Applebloom and Sweetie Belle.

“We need to figure out what’s wrong with him” Scootaloo said, determination in her eyes.

“But I don’t think he wants us to...” Sweetie Belle said, looking at the house worriedly.

“He doesn’t have to know we’re doing it” Scootaloo said, rolling her eyes, “Are you in Applebloom?”

“Uh, sure I guess” Applebloom said with a shrug, and the two of them started walking towards the house. Sweetie Belle quickly followed after them.

“This is a bad idea” Sweetie Belle said, only to be shushed by Scootaloo.

The stallion sighed, as he walked through the empty house, unaware that he had three sets of eyes watching him, “It’s always the same... They all get scared because of what happened... To Tartarus with you Trixie, you caused all this to happen to me...” He said, shouting a little. He cast his cloak off to the side, revealing the scars on his body and on his face. However, the most disturbing feature the three fillies saw was, instead of a normal left eye, there was a piece of rounded purple crystal in it’s place. In a fit of rage and anger, he caused the house to start to freeze from the inside out.