• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 5,054 Views, 98 Comments

Dashed Thoughts - Chevan



Sometimes when you have a crush on somepony who you need help from, strange things can happen.

  • ...
10
 98
 5,054

Chapter III - Dashed Memories

Dashed Thoughts
by Chevan

Chapter III – Dashed Memories

Rainbow Dash loves flying. You don’t have to be wise to see it, anypony who has seen her flying high above the ground at subsonic speeds, and doing amazing tricks is sure to know about it. She loves the feeling of the wind against her, transforming her prismatic mane and tail into many different messy shapes. The Pegasus magic flowing through both of her wings, all the way up to the tip of her feathers make her feel like a lord of the skies. Each flap of them make her accelerate even more, further increasing the amount of adrenaline her body produces.

Her cyan wings. A pegasi’ treasure. What would she do without them? Flying is her whole life, joining the Wonderbolts is her life’s destiny. What’s the point of being a Pegasus if you can’t, or don’t want to fly? The thought of being unable to fly and being grounded for the rest of the life always makes her wince and shiver.

None of her dreams would be possible without her wings. She wouldn’t be able to do what she always loved. Thanks to Twilight, she’s flying right now, her wing was healed by her magic after an accident she had. She didn’t have to suffer anymore because of the pain and the inability to fly, and she didn’t have to wait the whole two weeks to come back to her aerial world. She started to care about her wings a lot more. She decided to preen them twice a week and check their condition very often by practicing, perfecting her moves, and going to the doctor from time to time.

The lavender unicorn appeared in her imagination again. That damn lavender unicorn, all the time having that smiling face and sparkling, crystal clear magical wings. Her awesome lifesaver and… her love. Rainbow couldn’t get her out of her mind; she got completely distracted by the view of that stunning purple figure. She wasn’t sure if it was oka- *PWUFF*

She was cut off by a suddenly-appearing fluffy obstacle in her way, which she hit against. It made a thunder strike instantly because of the strong impact with a hard body of the Pegasus.

“Waaa! Ponyfeathers!” She growled. Opening her eyes, she was welcomed by a snow-white color - The color of the not-so-big cloud.

She dismounted from it, rubbing her forehead, “Darn it, at least clouds are plush…” She said to herself. She made a mental note to look straight and not get distracted again. She resumed her flight to her cloud house.

After she arrived, she flew into her room through the window, like she always did. She gently placed her hooves at the fluffy ground just beside her bed. Next to it, there was a small nightstand with a drawer. The Wonderbolts alarm clock was placed on it, showing 7:28. She turned to face it, and smiled a little. She placed the feather on the nightstand, just beside the clock, and opened the drawer below using her teeth. Inside, she found a picture. Her eyes got wide as she picked it up with her hoof, and examined it closer.

It was a picture of her and Twilight…





“Rainbow! Want to come to the lake and swim a little?” Asked Twilight, a huge grin painted on her face.

Rainbow loved sunbathing, but she wasn’t a huge fan of swimming. However, she liked to immerse herself in the beautiful lake from time to time. She thought that having some fun on the lake with Twilight was a very good idea after the long day taking care of weather in Ponyville.

“Of course! How could I say no?” She said happily, “Just… lemme bring my sunbed and my totally awesome shades! I'll be back in ten seconds flat!”

When she was about to get back into her house, she realized something strange. How is a unicorn standing in front of her house on a cloud?

She faced Twilight with a slightly surprised face, “Twilight? How did you…” She paused for a second. It just now hit her. It was so obvious since the beginning. She chuckled, “Heh, n-never mind. I’ll be back in lightning speed!”

Twilight put her forehoof to her mouth and responded with a quiet chuckle.

As Rainbow said, she was back in exactly 10 seconds. They were both ready to go.

“Okay, I’m ready to go!” Rainbow exclaimed, going out from her house.

Twilight smiled, “We three are going to have sooo much fun today, don’t you think?”

Rainbow grinned, “Yeah! It’s going to-” she made a confused look, “Wait… three?”

Twilight instructed her with her hoof to look down and see for herself who this third somepony was.

Looking down, Rainbow noticed a certain pink pony, dressed with various swimming accessories and bouncing in place like… like Pinkie Pie.

Rainbow looked at Twilight, “She’s coming with us?”

“Yes, she is,” Twilight responded, nodding.

“Ow yeah! I know it’s gonna be so awesome!” Rainbow beamed.

They caught up together on the ground, Twilight by teleporting Rainbow’s sunbathing accessories and herself back, Rainbow by flying off her cloud home to the ground. They quickly greeted each other and happily made their way towards the lake. They arrived there in almost no time, since it was very close to Rainbow’s house.

Rainbow quickly deployed her sunbathing equipment. Just when she was about to lay on her sunbed and lose herself in the huge ocean of sun rays, she was stopped by a certain overjoyed pink pony.

“Hey Dashie! Wanna come swim with us? This is gonna be so much fun! All three best friends playing in water, weeee! I’m sad that the other girls couldn’t make it but I’m sooo sure we’re going to have sooo much fun together! We can sunbathe, swim, play with a ball, and make sandcastles… but how we’re going to make sandcastles if we don’t have sand here? What do you think Dashie? I don’t think we can make sandcastles with grass, and mlrphhhh-“ Pinkie was silenced by Dash’s hoof. She continued speaking into it with no satisfying results, she was just mumbling into it.

“Okay Pinkie, I don’t know! Let’s go play in the water first.” Rainbow Dash said.

They both got to the edge of the lake, in which Twilight was already in. “Come on girls! Get in and let’s have some fun in the water!” Twilight said, grinning.

Suddenly, Pinkie gasped and exclaimed, “Be right back!” She disappeared, leaving the white dust shape of Pinkie Pie, which disappeared after a second.

Rainbow looked in the direction Pinkie was heading, but she was nowhere to be seen anymore.

“Oh Pinkie Pie, you’re so random!” Rainbow said, laughing.

She touched the surface of the water with the tip of her hoof, checking the temperature of the lake.

“The water’s perfect Rainbow! Come on, get in!” Twilight exclaimed.

The spectral Pegasus didn’t have to be told twice. She smirked to Twilight, “Well, if you insist.” She clapped her hooves together and squealed happily. She flew straight up like 10 meters, closed her wings, and curled herself up into a ball.

“Coming in hot!” She screamed as she hit the lake with a huge splat that completely startled and sunk the unicorn underwater. When Rainbow emerged and saw the completely wet and angry Twilight, she started to laugh. Twilight finally joined her a while after. Rainbow smirked at the still laughing Twilight and splashed the water towards her, making it splash loudly in her laughing face, making her recoil back.

There was a flash…



Great memories... It felt to her like it was just yesterday. Tears started welling up in her eyes, but she didn’t want to cry. She couldn’t, it wasn’t in her style!

“Rainbow Dash doesn’t cry!” She growled, and tightly shut her eyes. She dropped the picture to the floor and jumped on the bed. She couldn’t help it anymore. She started to sniffle loudly.

“Come on, Rainbow! S-Stop it! R-Rainbow D-Dash... does... NOT... CRY!” She screamed sobbing, her face buried in the soft cloud pillow, which was constantly absorbing all of her tears. She was rapidly hitting her fluffy bed with her hoof; she was so broken, she was fluctuating between love and fear. It was indifferent to her right now if she cries or not, she just wanted everypony to leave her alone right now. She didn’t want anypony to see her in that state.


After some minutes that seemed like eternity, she rose from the bed on her front hooves. She was hyperventilating, looking around the room, searching for any “hostile” ponies. She was completely destroyed. Her eyes were red, her face completely wet. The cloud pillow was filled to the brim with her tears.

She hit the cloud mattress of her bed with an insane force with her hoof and screamed at the top of her lungs, “NO! YOU ARE BRAVE, RAINBOW DASH! STOP BEING SO SCARED! YOU WILL TELL HER!”

She buried herself in the pillow. “But HOW?”

***

Fluttershy, after a long day of animal care, was on her way to Sugarcube Corner to Gummy’s party. She was so happy, she always loved parties hosted by her party pony friend. She was flapping her wings very gently, creating a very small and calming breeze behind her. She was humming a very catchy tune.

When she was flying near Rainbow Dash’s home, she decided to drop by and pick her up, so they could fly there together.

She looked through one of the windows. What she saw made her elicit a small “Eep!”, but she made it quiet enough to not catch her attention.

‘Is she... crying?’ She thought to herself. It was strange to Fluttershy, she had never seen her friend in that bad state before. She decided to wait for something to happen, staring at her crying best friend on the bed through the window.

***

Rainbow Dash didn’t know what to think about it right now. On the one side Twilight was her best friend, the Element of Magic, but on the other, she loved that unicorn for life, she wanted her to be her marefriend.

She growled and started exclaiming again, “Why does it have to happen to me? Why ME?” She hit her cloud pillow with an insane force that made it start to rain her tears to the cloud mattress below.

She hid her eyes behind her hoof and sniffed, “Am I... Am I a...” she stopped, and started crying even more, “A f-fillyfooler?” She fell on her back, and burst into tears, sobbing loudly.

She heard a loud gasp coming from the other side of the window. She stopped weeping immediately, and looked in the direction where the sound came from. Her vision was too blurred to see anything clearly, so all she saw was a yellow and pink blur passing through her window for a split second, disappearing as soon as it appeared.

Her mouth was agape. She didn’t think somepony was looking at her through the window, she regretted she didn’t check it out before.

She rubbed her eyes, and rushed to the window and looked out, just to see a disappearing light pink tail around the corner of her house in the nick of time. Was it... Fluttershy?

“Oh buck...” She frowned and sighed, “Now she knows... This will not turn out good for me…”

Rainbow was thinking about being watched by Fluttershy in that state. ‘For how long was she standing there? How much did she hear? Is she going to tell Twilight about that? I hope she doesn’t… I hope she’ll understand…’

She came back to her bed, and, still frowning, picked up the photo from the ground. She kissed it, and smiled a little, “I love you, Twilight...” she whispered to herself, and placed the photo in the nightstand, still sniffing from time to time. “You have no idea how much...” She said, picking up the feather from the nightstand. After examining it closer, she placed the feather into the drawer, and closed it, “I’ll have to tell this to you… but not yet…”

Rainbow realized that she needed a shower after so much crying. She made her way to the bathroom, in order to refresh herself and clean all the dilemmas off her coat before going to Pinkie’s party. She bucked the cloud, which started raining first an enormously cold, which made Rainbow wince, but then very hot water, which ran down her body, washing her coat ever so gently. She let the water wash her multi-colored mane and tail, wash away her dashed thoughts, and calm her after the very long weep she had. It was all she needed right then.

After drying herself she flew out the window, and headed towards Sugarcube Corner.

‘I hope Fluttershy will understand…’


A/N: The chapter is much shorter, but has some feels. I'll update this story more frequently now with shorter chapters.

This time, the chapter was proofread by my friend, BigMacDavis. Huge thanks to him! Go check out his stories!