• Published 21st Oct 2012
  • 3,590 Views, 92 Comments

A New Friend - Shadowflame



Rowan was an ordinary guy... that is, until he was sent to Equestria as a unicorn. Now armed with extraordinary magical powers, he must stop a massive force from entering Equestria. Book 1 of the Shadow Magic Series.

  • ...
20
 92
 3,590

Courage

Rowan's mouth would have been hanging open if he could move it. Right now, he was looking at the seventh Element of Harmony, which was the head piece of Chrysalis's throne.

He continued to stare at it while Chrysalis sat on her throne, searching through the Liber Tenebrarum. Rowan looked back down at the changeling queen, The seventh element has been here this whole time, yet it doesn't seem that Chrysalis has discovered it, yet. If I can get the book back, as well as this new element, then the changelings wouldn't stand a chance.

Rowan turned his eyes towards his friends, wondering if they'd seen it yet. None of the others had noticed Rowan's discovery as they all were trying to get free from the shadow bind.

Rowan looked at Twilight until she noticed his eye contact. He could see worry in her eyes, but he disregarded it as he pointed his eyes towards the seventh element. Twilight followed Rowan's gaze until her eyes rested on the stone head of the throne. She glanced back to Rowan, confusion in her eyes.

Rowan rolled his eyes and pointed his eyes promptly at the element, trying to get Twilight to look closer at it. The purple unicorn looked back at the headpiece of the throne, squinting as she inspected it. After a minute or so, her eyes widened to the size of dinner plates as realization dawned on her.

She glanced back at Rowan, restricted from speaking due to the shadow bind. Rowan's eyes narrowed, We have to get out of this bind. He looked closely at Chrysalis, A bind this powerful requires complete focus from the user. If she falters in her focus, then I might be able to use *my* shadow magic to cancel out the rest of the bind. He glanced at the rest of his friends, Although, there's one problem. How are we going to distract Chrysalis?

As Rowan thought hard, he saw something in the corner of his eye. He turned his eyes as far as he could to see Shade, who was positioned just behind him. The wolf was actually twitching with movement. Rowan's eyes went wide, Shade got out of my bind in Ponyville, though I don't know how. But maybe he can get out of this one.

Rowan watched as the shadow wolf began to slowly bend down as the bind slowly lost it's hold.

"What's this?" Rowan cursed as Chrysalis looked up to see Shade trying to escape, "Oh, it seems that your pet wolf has found a way to break through my shadow bind." She chuckled, "No matter. I'll simply place another bind on you, my little wolf." Her horn glowed with green light as she prepared the shadow bind spell.

When the spell was ready it shot from the queen's horn and zoned in on Shade.

Time seemed to slow down at what happened. Rowan saw the spell fly through the air towards Shade, but as it neared the wolf, Shade began to exert a shadowy aura. The shadow wolf then sunk into the floor, melding with his shadow. In the blink of an eye, the spell hit the spot where Shade had been before.

Having avoided the spell, Shade ran as a shadow with blinding speed, heading straight for Chrysalis. The wolf neared the changeling queen, melding out of his shadow, and leaped at her, teeth and claws bared. The chamber echoed with a scream as Shade dug his teeth and claws into Chrysalis' body.

As Shade attacked the queen, Rowan felt the bind around him falter. With no time to lose, he quickly sent out a pulse of shadow magic. The bind on all of the ponies vanished, letting them move again. With the bind gone, Rowan quickly charged at the throne, his horn glowing with magic.

Chrysalis screamed in rage as she knocked Shade away onto the ground. The wolf landed with a painful whine, making Chrysalis grin. But then she turned to see Rowan charging towards her. She glared at him, "You fool. You will never get the book back!" She spread her insect-like wings and took to the air with the Liber Tenebrarum in her grasp. She flew over the center of the chamber and lighted down on the other side among her changelings.

The changeling queen turned and was surprised to see that the gray unicorn was still running towards the throne. She sneered at him, "Oh, have you lost all interest of getting your precious book back?" But then Rowan jumped onto the throne, grabbing the head piece of it. Chrysalis's eyes narrowed, "No? Then I suppose you won't mind if I end your life now."

Rowan gasped as he tried to pry the seventh element loose from the throne. Behind him he heard Chrysalis beginning to charge her horn with a powerful spell, which he assumed was meant for him. Come on, element. Just come off already! He grabbed onto the element with his magic and began to pull with his horn and his hooves.

As Rowan struggled to free the element from its base, he heard Chrysalis cackle as she finished charging her spell. She laughed horribly, "Goodbye, you little pest." Rowan pulled even harder as he heard the spell fire at him.

Suddenly, the element broke away from the throne, making Rowan fall backwards from the throne with the stone in his hooves. The spell that Chrysalis had cast burst against the place where Rowan had been before, destroying the throne.

Twilight ran up to Rowan and helped him up, "Are you all right?"

He nodded as he held up the seventh element, "Yeah, I'm fine."

Chrysalis laughed at him from her position, her horn still aglow with magic, "You fool. You'd get yourself killed for a little stone. I must say that I'm impressed by your courage to oppose me, but I am curious. Why would you waste your efforts for a piece of my throne?

Rowan narrowed his eyes at the changeling queen. In his hooves he felt a small pulse emit from the element, warming his entire body. His mouth slowly turned into a grin, "Tell me, queen Chrysalis. What do you know of the Elements of Harmony?"

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Back in Canterlot, two royal guards stood in the hall of the elements. Their names were Waymaker and Martial. They stood in front of the vault that contained the fabled Elements of Harmony. Although, since the castle was already heavily guarded, and because of the fact that anyone who stole the elements would receive the full extent of Celestia's wrath, the job of guarding the elements was always a bit uneventful. This lead to the guards to become very bored.

Waymaker stifled a yawn as he muttered to himself, "Can't wait for Javelin to relieve me of my post. I'm exhausted."

Martial's eyes narrowed at his fellow guard, "Oh, suck it up. It's an honor to be guarding something as sacred and powerful as the elements. Their safety is just as high of a priority as protecting the princesses. You should be grateful to get this job assigned to you."

Waymaker smiled a bit, "Yeah, I suppose so. At least while guarding here, I don't have to stay erect all of the time."

Martial smiled too, "That's the spirit." Suddenly a thought occurred to him, "Say, why don't we grab a bite to eat after we're relieved from our post? With the rest of the royal guard gone on their way to help Ponyville, there'll hardly be anyone in the soldier's barracks."

Waymaker shrugged, "Sure, why no-"

Suddenly the doors to the vault burst open, sending the two guards flying across the room. They both got up to see light pouring out of the vault.

Martial scratched his head, "What in the hay..?"

The two guards watched as the light died down until they could see into the vault. There floating in the doorway of the vault, were the elements of harmony, glowing in their power.

Waymaker gasped, "The... The Elements!"

Martial shook his head, "What's going on?"

Suddenly, the elements lit brightly, becoming like six different colored stars, and shot out of the hall with blinding speed. The two guards stared in awe as the objects vanished from sight. They both glanced at each other, jaws dropped open.

"Uh,... Did you see that?" Waymaker asked out of the corner of his mouth.

"Um,... No. Did you?"

"No."

A brief moment of silence, but then Martial asked,

"So who's going to tell the princess?"

Waymaker shrugged, his mouth still agape, "I don't know."

Little did the two soldiers know that the elements were flying rapidly out of Equestria, answering the call of a new element that was soon to be awakened.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Rowan stood in the middle of the swarm of changelings, holding the seventh element, glaring at the changeling queen, Chrysalis. The unicorn's friends stood around him, ready should another fight break out.

Rowan asked the queen again, "What do you know about the Elements of Harmony?"

The queen rolled her eyes, "Bah, the elements of Harmony are one of the most powerful items in Equestria. Everyone knows that, even outside of its borders. Although, they are irrelevant at the moment, seeing as you all are going to die now."

Rowan shook his head, "I'm sorry, Chrysalis. But you're wrong." He gave her a slight smile, "You see, you aren't the only one who studied the Liber Tenebrarum.

Rowan cleared his throat, "While I was in Ponyville, I came across a passage in the book by accident. It contained information concerning the elements. I read it and found that the elements were incomplete, and that their power could become even greater."

Chrysalis glared at the unicorn colt, "What are you talking about, you pest?

"I'm saying that the elements aren't at their full power, yet. There are more elements hidden throughout the world."

Everyone let out a collective gasp.

Applejack glanced towards Twilight, "Twi? Is that true?"

Pinkie Pie gave a huge smile, "Wow! More elements! That means I'm going to have even more friends! This is going to be so fun!"

Rainbowdash poked up her head, "Um, that's great and all, Rowan. But why are you bringing this up now?" She gestured a hoof towards the changeling swarm that surrounded them.

Rowan grinned as he held up the seventh element, "Then Chrysalis, why do you think I was so intent on getting this?"

Chrysalis's eyes went wide, "No, that can't be..."

Rowan nodded, "Yes, it is. The seventh Element of Harmony."

Suddenly the chamber was lit in blinding light as six multicolored stars appeared in the air above the ponies. The stars slowly fell until they were just above the ponies surrounded by changelings. Each star floated above a specific pony and then flew down into their user. When the light receded, the six besides Rowan were wearing the Elements of Harmony, which still glowed brilliantly.

Then the seventh element floated out of Rowan's grip as he grew brighter until it was a pure white star. Suddenly, the seventh element dropped down onto Rowan and began to form itself around the unicorn. The white light dimmed a bit and Rowan looked down to see himself wearing a full suit of golden armor. The seventh element was embedded into the chest plate, which was now a pure-white color, crescent-shaped gemstone.

Rowan smiled as he looked at the changelings, who were beginning to draw back in fear. Rowan looked back towards the other elements, "Let's do this."

Twilight nodded and closed her eyes as she activated the element of magic. Her eyes lit up in a bright, white glow. The others began to activate their elements as well, adding their power to the element of magic. Finally, Rowan closed his eyes as he activated his own element. The crescent on his chest plate shined with a white aura as, for the first time, it added its power to the Element of Magic.

As the power of the elements joined, Rowan and the other elements were lifted off of the floor of the chamber. By now several of the changelings had turned and fled out of the chamber, trying to get out of the hive as fast as possible.

Chrysalis firmly stood her ground, as she screamed at her changelings, "Come back, you cowards!" The queen raised her horn towards the floating group of ponies and fired multiple spells. However, the spells were deflected away from the power of the elements. Chrysalis's eyes widened as a massive amount of energy surged around the elements and their bearers.

The energy surged, building up in its center, until it finally exploded in a wave of colors. Instantly, the wave spread throughout the chamber, knocking Chrysalis against the far wall. The changeling queen tried to shield herself from the powerful magic of the elements, but she was quickly overpowered as the wave of energy spread throughout the rest of the hive.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Naractia flew as fast as her wings would allow, following the swarm of changelings that fled from the power of the elements. She still held the page of the Liber Tenebrarum in her mouth. She and the changelings weaved through the tunnels of the hive, flying towards the only exit.

The changeling princess thought to herself as she flew, The elements would destroy anything in their range that is evil and impure. But with Rowan having found the seventh element, who knows how powerful their magic could become.

But as the swarm flew up through the tunnels of the hive, Naractia was relieved to see the exit up ahead. However, her relief was short-lived as an explosion echoed through the tunnels of the hive. She looked back to see a bright light, made up of all colors of the rainbow, coming from the tunnels behind her.

Naractia gasped, The magic of the elements! I have to get out of here! She put every last bit of strength into her wings, propelling her through the flying swarm of changelings. Not wasting anytime, Naractia weaved through all of the changelings in front of her, quickly flying to the front of the swarm.

She past the changelings at the head of the swarm right as they all flew out of the hive and into the open air. Just then, the power of the elements shot out of the hive, brightly lighting the night sky. Naractia quickly dove down to the ground and landed, avoiding the oncoming wave of magic.

Resting her wings, Naractia watched as the wave hit the swarm. The changelings who had been near the front of the escaping swarm were propelled through the sky and flew helplessly away into the distance. The few changelings who were at the rear of the swarm, however, were vaporized on the spot, with not even a bit of ash of them left.

But, just as quickly as it had come, the magic of the elements vanished as it was dispersed in the night sky. The changeling princess sighed a breath of relief as she stood alone on the desert floor, thankful to have survived the power of the elements. Now she was truly alone.