• Published 19th Oct 2012
  • 1,219 Views, 62 Comments

What Lies Dormant - goodbyecruelworld



Twilight Sparkle's magical prowess is threatened by a mysterious ailness. Is her magic worth the risk to delve into the unknown in search for a cure?

  • ...
5
 62
 1,219

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Twilight felt a second wind as she briskly made her way to Zecora's hut inside the Everfree Forest. I've been going at this all the wrong way. This isn't something everypony goes through. Of course there wasn't going to be information on it in some book. Twilight had many thoughts like these trying to reassure herself that going to Zecora was the right idea. Though the skies were cloudy before going into the forest, it only got worse inside. She remembered back to a time where all of her friends were fearful of the forest (even she was afraid though she didn't care to admit it). Those times seemed so long ago as she walked into the forest almost carelessly. Zecora had been her friend for some time now and knew that she would try to help Twilight as best she could.

As she made her way to the hut she was hoping that Zecora wasn't off on one of her many escapades to find ingredients for her potion stock. She gently knocked on the door and was surprised when Zecora almost instantly swung the door open to greet her.

“My oh my what a surprise. Though I already detect gloom in your eyes.” Zecora said.

“Hello Zecora! How are yo-... how could you tell?”

Zecora extended her hoof as to invite Twilight in. “Come in come in and have a seat. It is my pleasure for me to err... greet you?”

Now THAT is unusual. Twilight thought. Zecora had never had trouble rhyming before. Her mind began racing, wondering if Zecora had something wrong with her as well. But she instead decided on getting to the problem at hand. After explaining to Zecora what had been happening, all the while met by nods of Zecora, she hopefully looked upon Zecora for a solution.

“Well Zecora, what do you think?” Asked Twilight with a glimmer of hope in her eye.

“Well thankfully for you my friend. This is not the day your magic will end!” Zecora exclaimed.

Twilight was ecstatic and began to beam with joy before even being explained what would be happening.

“Now now, slow down Twilight. This process will take us into the night. We must be careful with this ancient remedy or your next sunrise will not be met with glee.” Zecora said.

Twilight sensed that something wasn't quite right. She seemed to be trying harder than usual to come up with her rhymes. It appeared to come so naturally to her in the past. Again, Twilight brushed this aside as she instead focused on her issue.

“Right. Well then Zecora what will we be needing?”

The list of ingredients was not too long and most of the things were quite common. She could easily find 80% of the ingredients just in Zecora's garden alone. She certainly knew where to get a dragon's talon-nail too. But this list seemed to just take more time than anything else. She wondered why Zecora said it would take all night.

“So Zecora, this list doesn't look too difficult. I'd say we could have everything gathered and ready in just a couple hours!”

Zecora shook her head, “The most essential ingredient is far more rare, and the journey to acquire it we cannot share.”

Twilight figured it would be up to Zecora to gather that essential ingredient and she would be left to gather the others. It would be quite a bore, but to attain her focus there was no chore too tedious. She followed Zecora as they left the hut and they went their separate ways.


A Few Hours Later


After much searching and digging, Twilight finally acquired all the ingredients. The most interesting one being the talon-nail she acquired from Spike. She found it quite entertaining to watch Spike grumble to himself as Twilight oh-so-carefully snipped off the end of his talon. But with all that running around out of the way Twilight was excited to get back to Zecora's and get to work on making the potion. As she happily trotted towards Zecora's hut she was hoping that Zecora would be inside waiting for her. She opened the door though and was met by silence and an empty home. Oh well, she thought as she started to unload the ingredients on the table next to the cauldron. Then she heard the strangest noise. Well, it wasn't really strange, it was closer to eerie. If she listened carefully between the gusts of wind moving the hut around she could swear she could hear something. A knocking sound. It was extremely faint and she couldn't even be sure if it was really there or not. All of this worry disappeared when Zecora swung the door open in a hasty manner. Twilight's was beaming with excitement and she showed Zecora her haul. Everything on the list was gathered, that only left this mystery ingredient which Twilight was more than curious about.

“So Zecora, what took so long for you to gather? Was it pixie dust? Or a rare flower? A snail turned to stone by a cockatrice? YOU MUST TELL ME!” Twilight exclaimed, as it was clear her excitement and curiosity were getting the better of her.

“Settle down Twilight and ready your eyes, for what you see will be sure to surprise.”

Twilight could have exploded from anticipation right then and there. Her not-so-silent wishes were finally answered when Zecora reached into her saddlebag with her mouth and yanked out an odd looking vial.

“Uh Zecora, you spent all that time going to get a vial? You have dozens here on your shelves! Please tell me there is something special about this vial.”

“You see Twilight to restore your magic, we needed a vial that could handle a kick”

Twilight could almost groan at how poor that rhyme was but decided against starting any sort of aggression and began to be mesmerized by Zecora stirring all the ingredients together in the cauldron. Finally there was a bright blue stew brewing in the cauldron as Zecora lined it up with the special vial and began pouring. Almost immediately Twilight could sense something magical happening. Just as the brew filled up the vial to the top, the vial pulsed a ghastly green color followed by a flash. When Twilight looked upon the vial again, the entire brew inside of it had changed into a color of bright green.

Twilight's mouth was left agape. She had never seen anything like that. She assumed it was the vials doing but her questions were again dismissed by her excitement.

“So it's all ready Zecora?”

Zecora nodded and Twilight could sense that she was fatigued. The journey to get the vial may have been more treacherous than first thought and Twilight was sure to be very thankful.

Twilight loomed over the vial, staring down at it as if she felt intimidated by it. She glanced to Zecora for re-assurance that this was in fact safe to consume and Zecora answered with a simple nod. Getting the vial to her mouth without magic was more troublesome than she expected but finally she was able to get the angle correct and start drinking. This is REPULSIVE, Twilight thought as she used all of her willpower to refrain from vomiting over Zecora's hut wall. She was able to muster it down and took some deep breaths as to assure her taste buds that the assault was now over. She looked around the room and down at her hooves but noticed no real change. Zecora interrupted her thought process, “Let time fly to take care of the rest, in the meantime perhaps help me with a pest.”

Zecora explained that a rabbit has been devouring her lettuce supply non-stop and no matter what she tried to do, it always returned and filled his stomach with her valuable lettuce supply. Twilight explained that she couldn't feel her magic coming back to her but Zecora insisted she go outside and give it a shot. Twilight walked around to the garden and sure enough, there was a rabbit there going to town on her lettuce. Twilight tried shooing the creature away with her hooves but it quickly leaped back over to continue eating. Finally she decided to use some magic. She focuses on the rabbit and the place she wanted to move the rabbit to, just twenty feet away, let the magic flow and then...

Twilight squeed with joy as she watched the rabbit get teleported from it's position to exactly where she envisioned it going. She was too busy jumping and hollering that she failed to notice the rabbit hop right back over and continue eating. Fine then, let's see you get back from there! She focused on a hill well over 500 feet away and with a simple zap, there went the rabbit. To her amazement, she watched as the rabbit took just but five minutes to swiftly hop back to Zecora's precious lettuce. Twilight sighed in frustration. She just wanted to get on with her life and start using her magic again! She just wanted to get out of this forest and go enjoy the sunshine. She didn't want to have to deal with this annoying rabbit anymore! And with another zap, the rabbit was gone.

Twilight observed high and low but could not find the pest. She waited fifteen minutes before deciding she must have teleported it so far away that it must have been lost. She started to wonder further why her magic had acted without her thinking of exactly where the rabbit would go or even willing her magic to move it. Her thoughts began filling with ecstasy. She could finally cast magic again! She was so excited that she decided to immediately go say goodbye to Zecora. Zecora insisted that it was her pleasure to help out her friend and seemed just as excited to see Twilight's magic return. Twilight decided she had seen enough of the Everfree forest for a good long while and started galloping back to Ponyville at full speed.

She arrived in Ponyville just at sunrise. She really had taken all night just to get that concoction made. Her excitement began to wear off and she could feel fatigue creeping into her mind. All she wanted to do was spend all day casting magic but she knew that would not go well if she wasn't rested. She had the rest of her life to cast magic now! She opened the door to the library and was surprised to find Spike already awake and making breakfast for himself.

“There you are Twilight! I was starting to get worried. You only came home for a few minutes yesterday to get a piece of my talon and you were gone before I even turned back around! Where have you been all night?”

Twilight had forgotten all about this part. She hadn't told anypony other than Zecora about her problem. She really hated lying to Spike so instead she told a half-truth. “Well Zecora mentioned to Fluttershy that she had a problem with a rabbit but when Fluttershy said she wasn't sure if she could make it out to Zecora's to help her, I volunteered to go in her place and we needed the talon for an experimental zoning potion to use on Zecora's garden.” She was sure that would suffice.

“Well then why did it take all night?!” Spike questioned.

“You could say that the rabbit was more than stubborn.” Twilight let out a fatigued giggle. She really needed to get some sleep before coming up with any more falsehoods, lest they be left with holes. “I really need to get some sleep Spike but I'll wake up around midday and we will figure out what to do after that. Until then just spend the day however you would like since the library looks so clean.” She could see that did the trick as Spike perked up.

“That works out great! Rarity was asked me to help her tidy up the boutique but I wasn't sure if I would have any time but now I do! Thanks Twilight!”

As she left the room she could hear Spike hurrying through breakfast to get to Rarity's even faster.

She was more than happy to be back in her own room. She got into bed and turned to look at the lamp still beaming bright. She reached her hoof over and turned off the lamp leaving only the rising sunlight to fill the room. She stared up at the curtains and thought, go on, you've earned it. And with her horn aglow, the curtains closed themselves shut. Twilight dozed off into sleep with a smile that could rival Pinkie Pie's on her greatest of days.


Ten Miles Away.

The field on the other side of the Everfree forest gained a new occupant. It's been a while since an animal moved in to this field, though the new arrival wasn't there by choice. Lying in the middle of the field was a rabbit, or what was left of it. Its body completely maimed and distorted. It was still sparking and all of its hairs were either on end, or singed off. A gruesome sight to behold. But how did it get that way?

It's entire body and most of the cells in it was destroyed.
By magic.