• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 831 Views, 13 Comments

Into the Mind of a Simpler Mare - harrytheneat



These are the progress reports of the experiment to increase Derpy Hooves's thinking power.

  • ...
3
 13
 831

I'm gonna try to be smart

Into the Mind of a Simpler Mare
Story based on Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
Edit by me
After the operashun Im
gonna try to be smart. Im gonna try awful hard.

Progris riport 1 martch 3.
Twilite says I shoud rite down what I think and remembir and evrey thing that happins to me. I dont no why but she says its importint so she can help me. I hope she can help me becaus mr whooves says mabye they can make me smart. I want to be smart. My name is Ditsy Hooves im not releted to mr whooves but our nams are similer I werk at the ponyvill post offis were grumpy gives me 11 dollers a week I am 26 yeres old and next munth is my brithday. I tolld Twilite and Spike I cant rite good but thay sed it don’t matter thay sed I shud rite just like I talk and like I rite in mr whooves nite class at Cheerilys school where I go to lern 3 times a week on my time off. Twilite says to rite a lot evrything I think and evrything that happins to me but I cant think anymor because I have nothing to rite so I will close for today...
yrs truly ditsy hooves.


Progris riport 2 - martch 4.
I had a test today. It wasn’t like Mr Whooves tests I think I faled it and I think mabye now Twilite wont help me. What happind is I went to see Spike at lunch time like Twilite said. I sometimes have truble reeding but mr whooves says im exselling I dont no what that meens but it sownds good.
in the test Spike showd me cards but i think he spilld ink on them. he had a wite coat like a docter but I dont think he was a docter because he dint tell me to opin my mouth and say ah. All he had was those wite cards at ferst I dint know what he was gonna do and I was holding on tite to the chair like when I go to a dentist onley Spike aint a dentist but he kept telling me to colm down and that gets me skared because it always means somthing bad will hapen he sed Ditzy what do you see on this card. I saw the spilld ink and I was very skared even tho I got my lucky coin becos when I was a filly I always faled tests in school and I spilld ink also.I tolld Spike I saw ink spilld on a wite card. he sed yes and he laffed and that maid me feel good. He kept shoing me all the cards and I tolld him somepony spilld ink on all of them. I thot that was a easy test
When I got up to go Spike stoppd me and said now sit down ditzy we are not thru yet. Theres more we got to do with these cards.
I dint understand about it but I remembir Twilite said do anything Spike telld me even if it dont make no sense because thats testing. I dont remembir so good what Spike said but I remembir he wantid me to say what was in the ink. i saw nothing in the ink but Spike sed there was picturs there. I coudnt see picturs. I reely tryed to see. I holded the card up close and then far away. Then I said if I had my eye glassis I coud probaly see better I usully only ware my eye glassis in the movies or to watch
TV but I sed maybe they will help me see the picturs in the ink.
I put themon and I said now let me see the card agan I bet I can find it now. I tryed hard but I still coudnt find the picturs I only saw the ink. I tolld him mabey I need new glassis. He rote somthing down on a paper and I got skared of faling the test. So I tolld him it was a very nice pictur of ink with pritty points all around the eges but he shaked his head so that wasnt
it neether.
I asked him if other ponys saw things in the ink and he sed yes they can imagen picturs in the inkblot. He tolld me the ink on the card was calld inkblot.
Spike is very nice and he talks slow to me like mr whooves dose in his night class were I go to lern reeding and righting for slow mares and staleons. He explaned me it was a raw shok test. He sed ponys see things in the ink. I said show me where. He dint show me he just kept saying imagen theres something on the card. I tolld him I imaggen a inkblot. He shaked his head so that wasnt rite eather. He said what does it remind you of. pretend its something. I closd my eyes for a long time to pretend and then I said I pretend a bottel of ink spilld all over a wite card. And thats when the point on his pencel broke and then we got up and went out. I dont think I passd the raw shok test.


3d progris riport. Martch 5 -
Twilite and Spike say it dont matter about the ink on the cards. I tolld them I dint spill the ink on them and I coudnt see anything in the ink. They said maybe they will still use me.
I tolld Twilite that mr whooves never gave me tests like that only riting and reeding. She said Mr Whooves tolld her I was his bestist pupil in his class and I tryed the hardist becaus I reely wantd to lern. I wantid it even more then ponys who are smarter then me. Twilite askd me how come you went to Mr Whooveses class all by yourself Ditzy. How did you find out about it. I said I dont remembir. Spike sed but why did you want to lern to reed and spell in the frist place. I tolld him because all my life I wantid to be smart and not dumb and my mom always tolld me to try and lern just like mr whooves tells me but its very hard to be smart and even when I lern something in Mr Whooveses class at the school I ferget alot.
Spike rote some things on a peice of paper and Twilite talkd to me very sereus. She said you know ditzy we are not shure how this experamint will werk on ponys because we onley tried it up to now on animils. I said thats what Mr Whooves tolld me but I dont even care if it herts or anything because Im strong and I will werk hard. I want to get smart if they will let me. They said they got to get permissen from my familie but my uncle deedle who use to take care of me is ded and I dont remember much about my familie. I dint see my mother or father or my littel sister Dinky for a long long long time. Mabye their ded to. Twilite askd me where they use to live. I think in manehatin. She sed they will see if mabye they can find them.
I hope I dont have to rite to much of these progris riports because it takes along time and I get to sleep very late and Im tired at werk in the morning. Grumpy hollered at me because I droppd a bag full of letters in a pudle. They got derty and he had to dry them off. Grumpy hollers at me all the time when I do something rong, but he reely likes me because hes my frend. Boy if I get smart wont he be serprised.


Progris riport 4.Mar 6 -
I had more crazy tests today in case they use me. Spike tolld me the name and I askd him how do you spell it so I can put it down rite in my progis riport. he askd Twilite and she sed THEMATIC APPERCEPTON TEST. I dont know the frist 2 werds but I know what test means. You got to pass it or you get bad marks. This test lookd easy because I coud see the picturs. Only this time he dint want me to tell what I saw in the picturs. That mixd me up. I tolld him yesterday he said I shoud tell him what I saw in the ink. he said that dont make a difrence because this test is something else. Now you got to make up
storys about the ponys in the picturs. I said how can I tell storys about ponys I dont know. he said make beleeve but I tolld him thats lies. I never tell lies any more because when I was a filly I made lies and I always got hit. I got a pictur in my bag of me and Dinky with uncle Deedle who got me the job to be malemare at ponyvil local post offis before he dyed. I said I coud make storys about this picture because I livd with uncle Deedle along time ago but Spike dint want to hear about them. he said this test and the raw shok was for getting persinality. I laffd. I tolld him how can you get that thing from cards that sompony spilld ink on and fotos of ponys you dont even no. he lookd angrey and took the picturs away. I dont care.
I gess I faled that test too. Then I colored some picturs for him but I dont drawer so good. Later Spike took me to a diferent room in the library that said PSYCHOLOGY LABORATORY on the door. Spike said PSYCHOLOGY means minds and LABORATORY meens a place where they make spearamints. I thot he ment like where they made the minty chooing gum but now I think its puzzels and games because thats what we did.
I coudnt werk the puzzels so good because it was all broke and the peices coudnt fit in the holes. One game was a paper with lines in all derections and lots of boxs and litle halls. On one side it said START and on the other end it said FINISH. He tolld me that game was amazed and I shoud take the pencil and go from where it said START to where it said FINISH withowt crossing over any of the lines. I dint understand the amazed and we used up a lot of papers. Then Spike said look I'll show you something lets go to Flutershys lab and mabye youll get the idea.
We walked a long time to Flutershys home. Flutershy is very kind but she seemed reely shy and i felt nervus. there was a room with lots of cages and animils she had monkys and some mouses. It had a funny smel like old garbidge. And there was som other ponys in wite coats playing with the animils so I thot it was like a pet store but their wasnt no customers.
Spike took a wite bunny out of the cage and showd him to me. Spike said that Angel can do this amazed very good. I tolld him you show me how he does that. Well do you know he put Angel in a box like a big tabel with alot of twists and terns like all kinds of walls and a START and a FINISH like the paper had. Only their was a skreen over the big tabel. And Spike took out his clock and lifted up a slidding door and Flutershy said lets go Angel and the bunny sniffd 2 or 3 times and startid to hop. First he went down one long row and then when he saw he coudnt go no more he came back where he startid from and
he just stood there a minit wiggeling his nose. Then he went off in the other derection and startid to hop again. It was just like he was doing the same thing Spike wanted me to do with the lines on the paper. I was laffing because I thot it was going to be a hard thing for a bunny to do. But then Angel kept going all the way threw that thing all the rite ways till he came out where it said FINISH and he made a squeek.
Spike says that means he was happy because he did the thing rite. Boy I said thats a smart bunny. Spike said woud you like to race against Angel. I said sure and he said he had a differnt kind of amaze made of wood with rows skratched in it and an electrik stick like a pencil. And he coud fix up Angels amaze to be the same like that one so we could both be doing the same kind.
He moved all the bords around on Angels tabel because they come apart and he could put them together in differnt ways. And then he put the skreen back on top so Angel woudnt jump over any rows to get to the FINISH. Then he gave me the electrik stick and showd me how to hold it in my mouth and to put it in between the rows and Im not suppose to lift it off the bord just follow the little skratches until the pencil cant move any more or I get a little shock. He took out his clock like he was trying to hide it. So I tryed not to look at him and that made me very nervus.
When he said go I tryed to go but I dint know where to go. I didnt know the way to take. Then I herd Angel squeeking from the box on the tabel and his feet thumping. I startid to go but I went in the rong way and got stuck and a littel shock in my mouth so I went back to the START but evertime I went a differnt way I got stuck and a shock. It didnt hert or anything just made me jump a littel and Spike said it was to show me I did the wrong thing. I was haffway on the bord when I herd Angel squeek like he was happy again and that means he won the race. And the other ten times we did it over Angel won evry time because I coudnt find the right rows to get to where it says FINISH. I dint feel bad because I watched Angel and I lernd how to finish the amaze even if it takes me along time. I dint know bunnys were so smart.


Progris riport 5 mar 6.
They found my mother who lives with my sister Dinky in manehatin and she gave permissen for the operashun. So their going to use me. Im so exited I can hardley rite it down. But then Twilite and Spike had a argament about it frist. I was sitting in Twilites room when spike came in. Twilite was worryed about using me but spike tolld her I looked like the best one they testid so far. Spike sed Mr Whooves rekemmended me the best from all the people who he was teaching at the
his night class were I go.
Spike said I had something that was very good. He said I had a good motor-vation. I never even knowed I had that. I felt good when he said not everpony with an eye-Q of 68 had that thing like I had. I dont know what it is or where I got it but he said Angel had it too. Angels motor-vation is the carat they put in his box. But it cant be only that because I dint have no carats this week.
Spike tolld Twilite somthing I dint understand so wile they was talking I rote down some of the words in my notebook for keeping my progris riports. He said I know ditzy is not what you had in mind as the frist of your new breed of intelek** coudnt get the word*** supermares. But most people of his low intele** are host** and uncoop** they are usally dull and apathet** and hard to reach. Ditzy has a good natcher.
Then Spike said remembir she will be the first pony ever to have her intelijence increesd by sergery. Twilite said thats exakly what I ment. Where will we find another retarted mare with this tremendus motorvation to lern. Look how well she has lerned to reed and rite for her low mentel age. A tremendous achievement.
I dint get all the werds and they were talking to fast but it sounded like Spike was on my side and Twilite wasnt. Spike kept saying docter whooves feels she has an overwhelm" desir to lern. she aktually beggd to be used. And thats true because I wantid to be smart. Spike got up and walkd around and said I say we use ditzy. Twilite skratchd her head and said mabye your rite. We will use ditzy. But weve got to make her understand that a lot of things can go wrong with the experamint.
When she said that I got so happy and exited I flew in the air and shaked her hoof for being so good to me. I think she got skared when I did that. she said ditzy we werked on this for a long time but only on animils like Angel. We are sure thers no fisical danger for you but there are other things we cant tell untill we try it. I want you to understand this mite fale and then nothing woud happen at all. Or it mite even succeed temperary and leeve you werse off then you are now. Do you understand what that meens. If that happins we will have to send you bak to the equestrean home for mentley chalenged. I said I dint care because I aint afraid of nothing. Im very strong and I always do good and beside I got my luky coin and I never breakd a mirir in my life. I droppd some fernichor once but that dont count for bad luk.
Then Twilite said ditzy even if this fales your making a grate contribyushun to sience. This experimint has been successful on lots of animils but its never bin tride on a pony. You will be the first. I told her thanks doc you wont be sorry for giving me my 2nd chance like Mr Whooves says ill have. And I meen it like I tolld them. After the operashun Im gonna try to be smart. Im gonna try awful hard.