• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 1,424 Views, 42 Comments

Derpy Who? The Story of My Life - Cabral095



Derpy has fled her home of Cloudsdale, and found a tiny town called, Ponyville.

  • ...
2
 42
 1,424

Home

Chapter 4 - Home

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even though it was dark, I decided to take a look anyways, surprisingly there were a few rooms still lit in the Apple Family home. So I flew down to the front door and knocked. After a few seconds, the door was opened by an elderly green pony.

"Yes?" She asked, "How can I help you?"

"Oh hi, is um, is Applejack here?"

"Why of course she is. APPLEJACK!" Screamed the old pony as she turned around, "GET YOUR FLANK OUT HERE! YOU HAVE A FRIEND!"

Applejack came trotting down the stairs, "Yeah Granny? What's goin' on?"

"This gray mare wants ta see you."

Applejack peaked out the door, "Well hey there Derpy, what brings ya to sweet apple acres?"

"Oh, well I ummm, I was wondering if I could buy some apples from you."

"Buy some apples?" She questioned, "You ain't gotta worry about that. Just go out into the orchard, and pick a few. I know you're new, and still trying to settle in. so, go ahead and take as much as you need."

"Really?"

"Of course" she said, "go on out and take some, we don't mind a bit. Now," She began to yawn, "It's about time I hit the hay. G'night Derpy, I'll talk with ya later."

"Oh, well goodnight Applejack, and thank you so much!" I replied back.

With that, she closed the door, and I went to collect a few apples. The sun by now had set, and I was getting tired. I picked the last few apples, and flew off towards Ponyville to look for a place to rest; however, the sky was clear of clouds that night. So, I went and found the tallest building in Ponyville, and fell asleep on its roof.

The next day went by fairly quick. I helped out Drew, my boss, with the early morning letters. Afterwards, I went out and delivered the remaining letters to the citizens of Ponyville. It was a good thing I still had a few spare apples from last night, I don't know how I would've survived if I didn't have something to eat. I worked all day, and made sure I did my job right.

By the time I was done, the sun was readying to set. I said goodbye to Drew, and went to find a cloud to sleep on. This would be my usual routine for the next month, or at least until one day, when I received some interesting news.

"Ah Ditzy! Early as usual." Drew said to me as I entered the post office.

"Well of course sir, I wouldn't want to be late for my job!" I said with a cheerful smile.

"That's good." He said.

Raindrops then walked into the office. "Why hello Ditzy." She remarked, "Just the mare I was looking for."

"Oh really? What for?" I asked.

"Well," She began, "I heard that you were still looking for a house to buy right?"

"Well yeah." I started, "But I haven't made much progress with that. Even with the help of some of the other ponies around here, I always seem to be short on bits."

"Well, I have some good news for you. A friend of mine, Golden Harvest, is selling her old place. On top of that she's asking for a low price. I mentioned your name, and she would be more than happy to let you look the place over; and maybe even give you a discount on it."

"Really?" I asked gasping, "I c-could finally buy a house here?"

I was so excited, *Living on clouds and roofs hadn't been the most fun; especially during lightning storms. Besides, fall was nearing its end, and I was going to need a warmer place to stay.*

"OH THANK YOU SO MUCH RAINDROPS!" I said, as I ran over and hugged her with a tight grasp.

"It's really no problem Ditzy, after all, you're one of my friends." Raindrops said smiling.

My eyes began to well up, *friend?* I thought. *I hadn't had somepony call me that in many years.*

I could slowly feel tears of joy welling up inside, though I resisted the urge to cry, as I didn't want to look silly. However, the fight was soon lost, and the dam broke. I began to sob in my friends' arms.

"Ditzy!" Raindrops exclaimed with a surprised look, "Are you alright?"

I cried another minute before I spoke up, "I am now. Thank you, thank you so much!"

After one last hug, I finally composed myself and went off to finish the day's work. At least tomorrow was Saturday, and I didn't have work. Drew went ahead and gave me the day off so I could go and visit Golden Harvest. He knew this was very important to me. That morning, I rushed over to Golden Harvest's house as fast as my wings would let me. I reached the house, and knocked on the door.

It seemed like an eternity, but after a long wait, Golden Harvest answered the door, "Well hello there Ditzy." She said greeting me warmly, "Raindrops mentioned you were interesting in viewing the house, would you like to come in?"

"Oh yes, please."

"Oh good, come on inside, I'm sure that you will like it."

I entered her home and looked around. There wasn't really all that much to look at, in my opinion at least. I had never really taken the time to look at a house before. I had only lived in and on clouds for most of my life. The house was a single story, with a kitchen to the right, a living room to the left, and a hall dividing them, which led to the master bedroom, the spare bedroom, and a closet towards the back.

"So why are you moving out of here?" I asked Golden Harvest.

"Mostly because it's so small, and I have finally saved up enough bits to buy a larger house. So once I did, I figured I would sell this one."

We spent another 10 minutes touring, she told me what she was looking for in price. My ears drooped when I came to the realization of what was it would cost. I was just short of the price; but even if I had the right amount of money, it would still be everything I had. This was a risky offer.

"Well, I'll tell you what Ditzy." She said, "How about, you give me what you have. I mean, I know you're already having a hard time as it is, but you can always pay me back at a later time."

"What? No!" I interjected, "I couldn't possibly do that."

"No no, I insist."

Tears of joy began to well up in my eyes again; I simply said thank you, and went to get what money I had. I returned, paid Golden Harvest, and said a last thank you as she left. She had already moved everything out, so the house was empty. Save a few remaining chairs, and a table. I didn't mind.

I did a bit more exploring of the house. Walking into the main bedroom, I could see it was completely bare; the same for the closet. The spare bedroom at least had a bed left behind from Golden Harvest, as she said she didn't have need for it. By the time I finished looking around, it was very late. I walked into the spare bedroom, and laid down on my new bed; in what was now, my new home.

The next months went by much faster than the first few. Thankfully the post office had been hiring more employees, and I had even gotten a couple of pay raises. I seemed like a gift from heaven to Drew, who had thanked me so many times; he was now saying that without a doubt the mail service might have gone under if it hadn't been for me.

This was flattering, but being my usual modest self, I didn't let it get to my head. While this was going on, I had still neglected adding on to one thing.. my home. It was still quite bare at this time, though a few additional things were added from my neighbors. Pinkie Pie often came over and dropped off extra sweets, but these were mostly cakes and pies. Applejack would also come and drop off some apples as well as some other snacks, like apple fritters, apple pie; I couldn't ask for better friends.

As Fall neared its end, many of the towns ponies began to talk about the start of Winter Wrap Up. I was clueless as anypony could be, so I figured I should ask at some point. One evening at work, I overheard Raindrops talking with Drew.

"Oh." Raindrops said worriedly, "I hope we can find another pegasi to help out with the bird migration this year, I think we're a few short."

"What bird migration?" I asked.

"The migration of the birds that have gone south for the winter, we help bring them back up this way. Though we've hit a bit of a snag this year. We're short a few pegasi for this necessary part of Winter Wrap Up."

"Winter Wrap Up?" I asked innocently.

Raindrops and Drew simply stood there staring at me with their mouths agape.

"Do you really not know what Winter Wrap Up is?" Questioned Drew.

"Nope." I replied cheerfully.

Raindrops began to explain it to me, "You see, every year, at the end of winter. The ponies of Ponyville gather together, and clean up winter in order to bring spring. Many ponies will wake up the animals from their hibernation, retrieve the southern birds, break up the ice in the ponds and lakes, and clear clouds up from the skies."

"Huh. That's interesting." I said, "Is there anything I can do to help out?"

"Well, you've heard the basics of the bird migration; would you be interested in joining us?" Raindrops asked.

"I would love to!" I exclaimed.