• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 1,984 Views, 55 Comments

Sunshine and Rainshine - SteamFluttershy



HiE story and the Humand gets rain-teleported into Equestria

  • ...
15
 55
 1,984

Chapter 5 (Nightmares & Tours)

I was home, upstairs in my room. It was about 5:30 PM and I asked myself; why hadn’t I been called down to eat yet? We usually eat at 5:00 PM. I decided to go and check if everything was still okay, and I went downstairs into the dining room. The normally short and quick trip took longer than normal, like something was trying to hold me back. I finally made it to the dining room and saw that everyone except me was eating.

“Hey, mom and dad, why haven’t you called me down to come and eat?”

No answer.

“Hey, guys! Why are you ignoring me?”

No answer. Now it was really starting to get on my nerves.

“Hey dad, answer me please!”

They all finally turned their heads and dad spoke; “You, you left us, left us to worry, thinking you’d be dead and such, and you even have the nerve to come back!”

“Huh? B-but…”

“No buts!” He screamed. “You decided to leave us for some weird pony world and never come back! You’re not part of this family anymore, we never want to see you again, and we disown you!”

“W-what?” I stammered.

“You heard me, now go away!”

Slowly but surely the entire room and house were sinking farther away from me, and no matter how hard I tried to get back to the table, it seemed as if it kept going faster and faster, no matter how fast I tried to run.

“NOOOOOOOOOO, DOOOOOOOOOOON’T!”



“NOOOOOOOOO, DOOOOOOOOOOON’T!” I screamed as I shot upright and awake. I was covered in sweat and breathing heavily.

“Oh, good, it was only a dream, though it seemed very real.”

The thought of me not being able to get home was doing a number on me, but I couldn’t let it affect me. Then I heard a soft knocking on my door followed by a soft angelic voice.

“Umm… Brendan? A-are y-you okay?”

I still had my clothes on from yesterday, so I walked up to the door and opened it, revealing a concerned looking butter-yellow Pegasus.

“Oh, hello Fluttershy, yeah I’m okay, just a nightmare is all.”

“Oh, o-okay then, a-are you sure you’re okay? Because when I passed by your door I heard you scream in your sleep and shout; no. So I thought I’d check up on you to see if you were okay. Umm… I-if that’s okay with you.”

“Yeah, I’m okay with it, thanks for your concern, but I’m fine now.”

“O-okay.”

At that moment my stomach decided to give its point of view and grumbled. I lightly laughed and Fluttershy gave a small giggle, until her stomach decided to do the same which made her blush lightly.

“Well,” I started. “Looks like it’s that time in the morning again, I think we should get some breakfast. Do you want to walk with me to the breakfast hall Fluttershy?”

“Y-yes, I’d like to.” She said with the light blush still on her face.

That’s just so cute. I thought.

I closed the door behind me, locked it, and joined up with Fluttershy towards the breakfast room.

Thank goodness for signs! I’d probably get lost trying to find the breakfast hall without. I mentally sighed.

“So how did you sleep last night Fluttershy?” I asked.

“Oh, I slept just fine, although I’d rather sleep back home.” She answered.

“Yeah, there’s no place like home, huh?”

She nodded and looked at me, smiling, immediately noticing that my smile had sunk.

“Oh, what’s wrong? W-was it something I said? Oh, I’m so sorry” She whimpered and hid herself behind her mane.

“Oh, no, not at all, my statement just made me think about home, that’s all” I sighed.

“Oh, I’m sorry for reminding you, I shouldn’t have.” She whimpered, still behind her mane.

“Oh Fluttershy,” I said putting my hand on her head and removing her mane from her face so I could see her and she could see me. “It’s not your fault, and don’t you think it was, it couldn’t have been your fault, you didn’t know it would’ve led to this, you were just curious is all. I couldn’t possibly blame you.”

We looked at each other and she smiled once more making me smile.

“Thank you, I can overreact sometimes thinking I did something bad.” She said.

“Oh Fluttershy, how could you do something bad?”

“Umm… thanks.” She blushed at the compliment and quickly retreated behind her mane again.

I mentally shook my head thinking; Oh boy…

We finally arrived at the breakfast hall and everypony else was already there.

“Are we really that late?” I mockingly asked.

“Ugh, no!” Rainbow groaned. “We’re just early. Why couldn’t we sleep longer?”

“Because, Rainbow.” Twilight stated. "We all have work to do. We can’t nap all day like you do!"

Rainbow groaned in frustration and just buried her head in the chair’s pillow.

Fluttershy and I laughed at the sight and took a seat at the table.

The waiters came by and gave us the breakfast menu, and I looked at it hoping there’d be something of interest to me.

Please have eggs, please have eggs, please have eggs. Yes, they’ve got eggs and toast with it! Now if they had bacon it’d be even better, but… well…

I trailed off into thought, not noticing that the waiter was waiting for my order.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I’d like the eggs and toast please.”

“Very well sir.” He said, taking the menu back and walking into the kitchen.

The service in this place was almost instant, and within minutes we all had our breakfast in front of us and we all dug in.

“So, Brendan, how was your night?” Celestia inquired.

“Not the best ever but it was good.” I answered. Not wanting to worry everypony with the nightmare, but it still brought a question to mind.

“Excuse me, princess Celestia, but do you think there is a way for me to get back home?”

Celestia sighed and answered; “We’re going to look into it as soon as possible to find a way to get you back home. In the meantime though, I think you might be staying here for a while.”

“Oh, that won’t be a problem.” I reassured them. I was really hoping that they could find a way to send me back, but I still had my doubts bugging me.

“So, what do you think of the night?” Luna cut in.

“In all honesty, I love the night way more than the day. No offence princess Celestia.” She just smiled and waved it off and I continued; “But there’s so much more to see at night than there is in the daytime, the sky is absolutely beautiful with all its stars and one bright moon. I was looking out the window quite some time before I fell asleep.”

“D-do you really mean that?” Luna asked, all of a sudden being happier than I could even think somepony could be.

Well, her smile could rival Pinkie’s just about now. I thought.

“Every word is true” I responded.

Luna all of a sudden jumped up and hugged me. I was in total shock right there; she really caught me off guard. I was hesitant to return the hug, but eventually I lightly did. I didn’t know somepony could become so happy of the thought about someone loving the night more than the day.

“See dear sister, I told you somepo-, someone absolutely loved your night as much as you do.” Celestia said to Luna.

Luna broke the hug and blushed as she realized what she was doing and retook her seat.

*Ahem* “Well, sorry about that. I think I was just a bit overjoyed there.” She said.

“Don’t sweat it; I didn’t know anypony could become so happy with such a simple compliment.” I said.

Luna simply nodded, and we all ate the remainder of our meal in relative silence.





After we all finished breakfast the waiters came along and cleared the table of our plates.

“Alright, it was nice meeting you Brendan, and I hope you have a pleasant stay in Equestria for the time being. I promise we’ll look into your situation as soon and quickly possible.” Celestia said.

“It was nice meeting you all as well, and thank you for trying to find a way home for me. I’m pretty sure I’ll enjoy my stay for as long as it’ll last.” I replied.

It was then that it hit me. I didn’t have a place to stay nor did I have any money, well, I did have money, but I didn’t think they’d accept Euros or Dollars here in Equestria.

“Umm, excuse me princess Celestia, but I don’t have a place to stay nor do I have any of your currency. How should I get around?”

“Well, normally I could loan you money, but lately there have been so many ponies asking for loans that the land isn’t able to afford it right now. I’m terribly sorry. As for your lodging…”

“I don’t think he could stay with me. Twilight started. “The library is a mess at the moment.”

“We’re all havin’ a renovation goin’ on at the house and barn, so we’re cramped up right now too.” Applejack informed.

“Oo! I’d like to invite you to stay at Sugarcube Corner, but with the cake's babies being all wild I don’t think they’d appreciate the extra occupation.” Pinkie added.

“Sweetie Bell has messed up my guest room and it’s a drama. I’m sorry, I can’t either.” Rarity said with regret.

“And I don’t think you can stand on clouds now can ya?” Rainbow said.

“Huh? You live in a cloud?” I asked pretty amazed.

“Yeah, it’s a pegasus’ special ability to stand on clouds, so we build our houses out of clouds too. They’re very easy to move around too.”

“Wow, I never thought I’d really see could houses. It just gets better and better.”

“He could come and stay with me, I’m sure my animals won’t mind! Umm… I-if t-that’s okay with y-you.” Fluttershy piped in.

“Are you sure Fluttershy? I’m pretty sure I’d be able to find another place to stay. I wouldn’t want to intrude.” I replied.

“Oh, no, I’m sure, I’m mean, I c-couldn’t leave you out there if you couldn’t find a place to stay.”

“Well I very much appreciate your offer, and it’d be rude for me to refuse. Thank you for being such a kind pony Fluttershy.”

“Oh, i-it’s n-not a problem, not at all.” She said, slightly blushing and hiding behind her mane.

She’s just so cute when she does that. I thought.

“Well, now that that is settled. I’ve arranged a train back to Ponyville; it’ll be leaving shortly, so you’d best all be going.” Celestia said.

We all thanked the princesses both once more and left the castle towards the train station.





We finally arrived at the station, but not without me receiving lots of awkward glances from everypony. Some ponies waved nervously and I waved back reassuring them that I was friendly. Some just stared wide eyed at me, and some even ran away. Hey, what would you do if you saw someone strange looking walks by and he’s almost twice as tall as yourself?

As if on cue the train arrived as we arrived and we immediately boarded the train’s fist class coach. It was a splendid site; it could’ve been the princess’ private coach if it wouldn’t have been for the lack of a throne. The interior was almost as good as that from in the castle.

I took a seat in one of the private compartments and stared out the window as the train let out a beautiful whistle and started leaving for Ponyville. I’ve always loved trains since I was a baby, and the fact that they had trains here in Equestria made me happy.

I sat alone in the compartment just staring out of the window, enjoying the scenery for about two hours of the four hour trip, when I heard the compartment door open and a yellow head with pink hair poked inside.

“Umm, c-can I-I, Umm… c-can I…”

“Can you come in and sit here? Yes you may.” I said finishing and answering her sentence for her.”

“Oh, o-okay” She said, coming into the compartment and taking a seat across from me. She noticed me staring out of the window and she did the same. We sat in complete silence until I started.

“I want to thank you again for being so kind to me. Letting me stay at your place.”

“Oh, it’s nothing really. I don’t mind.”

“Do you like watching the scenery when you’re travelling?” She asked.

“Yeah, I do, I love it. I’ve always loved train rides in general, and this beautiful scenery makes it all the better.” I replied.

“So, I heard you have lots of animal friends back at your house?”

“Oh yes, I have many kinds, I love taking care of my little animals, and they love me for taking care of them. It makes me happy to see them happy.”

I chuckled. “I bet you make a great caretaker if not the best.”

She blushed once more. “Thank you.”

“So, tell me something about your animals and what you do around your house.”

We spent the last hours of the ride talking about her, her animals, and even some of my own animal experiences. I only had some fish at one point which I loved, and I told her about the time I once found a wounded little bird while mowing the lawn and took it inside and patched up and let it heal and let it go again. She seemed very happy about this.

Stepping out onto Ponyville station very late in the evening, the train ride was longer than four hours due to a switch problem, Twilight started; “Why don’t we give you a quick tour of Ponyville while we all walk home, at least you’ll know the basic points of Ponyville and you’d be able to find your own way through, and you’ll know where we all live should you need us?”

“That’s very thoughtful of you Twilight, of course I’d like to.

And so, we set off on my tour of Ponyville, but, of course, not without me receiving the same kinds of stares like I had in Canterlot.

The first place we arrived at was a carrousel like house with purple lining.

“I’m guessing this is your place, Rarity?”

“Indeed it is. You sure have a keen eye on details don’t you?”

“I’ve always had, but sometimes it’s more of a burden than an advantage, especially if you always see the details, but luckily I’ve resolved that problem.”

“That’s a good thing to hear. Anyway, you should pass by one day so I can make you some more clothes. Only having one of each seems… horrid.”

“I have to admit; you’re right, but I don’t have any money on me. How in the world am I supposed to pay for it?”

“Oh I’ll have none of that; I’ll do it for free. Consider it as a gift welcoming you to Ponyville.” She insisted.

“That’s very generous of you, but I insist that I repay you in some way.” I pressed on.

“No, you have not to. Just come by when you have the time and I’ll get it sorted you as soon as possible.” She insisted once again.

“Okay then, I’ll see when I can stop by.”

We all said our goodbyes to Rarity and set off towards a big tree house in the middle of town.

“This is Ponyville library and where I live.” Twilight stated.

I wouldn’t have expected different.

“If you ever need a book on something, or you need me, then this is the place to be.” She finished.

“Will do Twilight, will do. Thanks for showing me.” I said.

We left Twilight and set off to a house that looked like it was made out of pastries.

This reminds me of Hansel and Gretel, but with ponies instead of a witch.

“Let me guess, this is Sugarcube Corner and where Pinkie Pie lives and works?” I started.

“Righty you are.” Pinkie began. “And you should totally come over and have a cupcake some day or a cookie or cake or anything baked by me!”

“I’ll be sure to come over and taste some of your wondrous pastries Pinkie!” I said with eager.

“Woohoo, alright, see you later Brendan!”

“See you later Pinkie Pie!”

She shot inside faster than I even thought was possible. I was about to question it when I thought; don’t ask, it’s Pinkie Pie.

“I’m gonna go from here on too” Rainbow Dash said. “I’ll see you later Brendan. Maybe you can come and see me do some tricks someday. You’ll be blown away by their awesomeness!”

“I’m pretty sure I will Rainbow.” I said challengingly.

“Oh it’s on! Just you wait!”

We waved goodbye and she shot away into the clouds.

Man, I’d love to fly! I thought.

With just me, Fluttershy and Applejack left we set off into the outskirts of Ponyville, and eventually we passed by a huge apple orchard.

Applejack needn’t say anything. She knew I knew she lived there. We walked up to the house and she threw me a small bag of apples.

“There ya go! Consider it a welcomin’ gift, some of the best apples in the whole of Equestria!” Applejack said.

“Why much obliged Applejack!” I said mimicking her southern accent at which she just smirked.

“Yer accent ain’t half bad, guess you were right about being a slight southerner yerself. If ya ever need some work, you could come over and we could get ya started on the farm.”

“I’m sure I’ll take up on that offer Applejack. Much obliged!” I replied.

Me and Fluttershy waved goodbye to Applejack and left the farm further out of town.

“You sure live far away from town Fluttershy.” I concluded.

“Yes, I do. It’s so that I can be closer to the forest for my animal friends, and, well, I don’t really go out that much. I’d rather stay at home with my animals.”

I knew the feeling. I wasn’t a whole lot different back in my elementary school days.

“I understand Fluttershy. I used to be the same, not wanting to go out, just staying at home all day doing things with the family."

"Rainbow Dash was the first friend I ever made, that was during flight camp, but she was the only one too. I eventually got four more friends you’ve met after Twilight came along. I was alone a lot before.”

“We’ve got friends now and we should be happy that we do!” I happily said.

“Yes, and I am.” She said smiling.

We arrived at a quaint cottage and Fluttershy led me up to the door and we entered.

“This place is just amazing Fluttershy!” I told her.

“Thank you. I know it’s not much, but it is home.” She smiled.

There were so many different animals that I couldn’t even count them. What stood out though was a snow white bunny eyeing me.

Fluttershy noticed our staring contest and introduced us.

“Angel, this is Brendan. He’s going to be staying here until he finds a way home. Brendan this is Angel, my pet bunny. He can be a handful sometimes, but he means well.”

Angel shot her a glare at the latter statement, but soon returned his gaze to me.

I walked up to him and stuck out a hand, he eyed it suspiciously until he took it in both paws and we shook. He smiled, did what looked like a salute and hopped off elsewhere.

“Looks like you two will get along just fine.” Fluttershy said.

I nodded and let out a yawn, but not without covering my mouth of course.

I and Fluttershy laughed and both decided to get to bed.

“You can take the bed; I’ll sleep on the couch.” She offered.

“Nonsense Fluttershy, I’ve already taken your hospitality of staying with you, but I’m not going to rob you of your bed! You can go sleep in your bed and I’ll take the couch.” I objected.

“Oh, umm… Okay.” She whimpered.

“I’m sorry Fluttershy, but I don’t think it’d be very respectful of me to just take your bed.”

“Oh, well, thank you.”

“No, thank you.”

She blushed again and hid herself once more behind her mane.

We said our goodnights and she went upstairs, and I lay down on the couch keeping my clothes on. Fluttershy then came back with a blanket. I thankfully took it and she went back upstairs.

I rested my head on a pillow, pulled up the blankets, and easily drifted off to sleep, without worry, just a nice deep sleep. No more nightmares, no more worries, just a feeling of relief of having made so many new friends already. Without further ado, I left for dream world.