• Published 18th Apr 2024
  • 151 Views, 31 Comments

Ad Astra Per Derpy Aspera - SparklingTwilight



Lightning Dust strands herself in space. With no way to move her rocket, she'll die unless Equestria's Best and Brightest find a way to bring her home despite sabotage, snobbery, limited resources, and bureacratic incompetence.

  • ...
 31
 151

Prologue: Derpy Ascends

When I was a foal, my parents took me to the highest iridescent nacreous clouds north of Canterlot, near the forbidden Crystal Empire, and on them we watched the stars. My father struggled to breathe, since it was high in the stratosphere, and we were bundled up tightly. But I didn't have much trouble.

"It's because you're a champion, Ditzy," my father smiled when I asked why I was okay and he was not.

"Mommy and me are champions?" I smiled at my mother, who laughed.

"No, no, darling. I just have good lung capacity and endurance. It's helpful. Especially in spotting. But I can't be a champion."

"You're going to be a star," my father said. "A Wonderbolt. Up there among the constellations like Flash Magnus--you can see his helmet in the East. And if not that, then a leading weather coordinator or the nation's best search and rescue mare."

"I'd rather be like you," I said, meaning both of them.

"No," my mother shook her head. "You'll be better." My father and I had helped her get to the top--her wings were shriveled, ever since she'd been a foal.

"Yes," my father agreed. "Better. Don't set your sights so low."

"Mother is already the highest--"

"Yes, yes, the lookout position, with her semaphore. Aim higher though--the stars--go farther than any pegasus has ever gone. You have boundless talent. You were Equestria's top young flyer last year!"

"But only second this year... And you lost a lot of bits on--"

"I shouldn't have gambled. Don't gamble. Don't tempt fate. Don't brag. Or else curses can arrive."

He looked at my eyes, one of which was already starting to drift.

"Don't take risks."

I nodded. "But this is a risk?"

Father wheezed. "We're... I can't do this when I get older. Maybe not even in a few months."

"Are you ill?" I asked.

He waved it off. "But I wanted to go up here. One last time. Your mother and I--we had a wonderful night." He smiled over at my mother.

"You were conceived in space, Dear." My mother said, without too much effort.

I cocked my head.

"Some ponies consider this space. The very edge," she explained.

"And now we're here... again... as a family," Father wheezed.

I nodded. "I'll need to take risks to be a star."

Father sighed, "You'll soar among the stars if you find a good grounding. Keep that grounding in mind. Don't lose your way. Care about others, be good, and try hard. Keep trying. Be humble. Be purposeful in what you choose to spend your time on--no need for frivolity. Don't show off unnecessarily and don't take shortcuts. Do favors for others and you'll get benefits," he wheezed. "Your goodness will be rewarded."

"Or," Mother added in her soft voice. "Do favors because it's kind. Goodness isn't always rewarded by others. But if you know it's right and feel it's right, then it will be so."

"Of course your mother's right. Just know--please, Ditzy... please, know that even if we can't provide you all the monetary care you deserve... that we care about you and we'll always be there to support you." He ruffled my feathers and then we flew back, full of hope and joy and ringing ears from the pressure of a rapid atmospheric descent.

And the joy was tripled when I got my cutie mark, as we started the descent. A field of bubbles. Celebrating my hope and joy at being together with my family.

Six weeks later, Father and Mother were dead. My condition with my eyes was much, much worse. And, I was on my own.

Author's Note:

Clip from the Parental Glideance episode of Derpy's condition and performance getting much worse over time: https://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepony/comments/ws622j/rewatching_parental_glideance_and_just_noticed_as/

Success like:

Soon turned to...