• Published 4th Apr 2024
  • 105 Views, 1 Comments

The Final Account of the Dark Arts (Anniversary Edition) - JinxTJL



The title is thickly branded onto the torn cover, and the pages are faded and wrinkled with age immemorial, yet still faintly legible.

  • ...
 1
 105

Chapter R2.4: Domination

Necromancy cannot be mentioned in these times without notice of its worst impulse: that of domination. For all the gifts that undeath and the sight may provide, on the opposite spectrum of desire verses discontent, more may yet be done with both of these powers. For knowing what a soul is comprised of, and knowing that the soul is the truest essence of life, the soul may be twisted out of shape and made into something else.

More accurately, beings may be made into someone else.

Will is, perhaps, the most important facet of spellcasting in any form, much more so in many of the dark arts, and so it is for Necromancy. Within Necromancy lies the power for joy and salvation, yet an equal amount of sorrow and heartbreak, for the threads that a being is represented by are not inviolable. It is only a matter of will and the correct pressure of mana, and these threads may be changed. The soul may be changed.

With the soul’s change comes change in the individual it represents; whether on a small scale or large, any correction made to a soul’s existence will reflect on its owner. There is no virtual or literal limit to the extent these changes may go, from memories to behaviors to entirely new beings erased and built again from scratch. If the soul may be regarded as the sum structure of individualism, then Necromancers possess the ability to deconstruct and reconstruct that structure in any way they so please.

All it takes is mana and the will to make it happen, and in this way, Necromancy is truly divine.

For there is nothing so divine as complete domination.