• Published 4th Apr 2024
  • 105 Views, 1 Comments

The Final Account of the Dark Arts (Anniversary Edition) - JinxTJL



The title is thickly branded onto the torn cover, and the pages are faded and wrinkled with age immemorial, yet still faintly legible.

  • ...
 1
 105

Chapter R2: Necromancy

If there may be any prejudice or revulsion levied towards our decried dark arts, then it may very well be Necromancers who bear the weightiest brunt of hatred. For all that I and my kind may defend it as a sanctified pursuit of enlightenment, it may very well be warranted, for Necromancy is the magic that governs the soul itself.

To truly understand the weight their demesnes carries, it must first be understood how gravely solemn power over the soul truly is. There is no artifact that carries more prevalence to life than the soul; the soul is life as it is known. It is the be-all-end-all of existence; there cannot be true life without it, and with it, life may take root in places where it was never meant to be. Beyond and above any vital processes carried out by our earthly forms, the soul provides for our beings in a way that may not be superseded.

The soul is something we are all burdened with, and so we are all in danger from a Necromancer if it comes to pass that they have forgotten themselves. It is a valuable that only they may thieve, and it is a treasure to which only they may bear witness. Weapons may pierce our flesh, and words may break our minds, yet there is no destruction more complete than that of the soul. All that we are is summarized as the soul, and so without the soul, we do not exist.

And so, with the assisted continuation of the soul, existence is made eternal.