• Published 7th Mar 2024
  • 246 Views, 22 Comments

Unsafe Room: A Detective Rarity Mystery - RB_



"A locked-room mystery? For moi? You shouldn't have!"

  • ...
4
 22
 246

Prologue: The Inciting Incident

"And I do say, my dear, that the inclusion of these new saddlebags into Equestria's military operations will increase their efficiency tenfold!" General Bristle said, before downing another gulp of sherry.

"How fascinating," Crystal Bright replied, still looking at the volume she'd pulled randomly off one of the shelves of the heavily-book-laden study they'd found themselves in. It was, coincidentally, also about warfare—all the books in the study were. There was no escaping the topic in the house of the Baron, it seemed.

"Yes, quite!" the General replied, with much more enthusiasm than she had. "And now let me tell you about these new horseshoes we've been developing—they allow you to run about 1.08% faster on muddy ground, and I really feel that this is the advantage we need over the—"

Bang!

Crystal laid her book down on her lap and looked around. "Was that a firework? Strange time and place for a fireworks display, isn't it?"

But the General was white as a sheet. "That was no firework!" he exclaimed, leaping from his chair with more dexterity than his age should have allowed. "That was a gunshot! I'm sure of it!"

"A gunshot? That seems a little far-fetched."

"I assure you, I can detect the sound of a gunshot," he said. "I've got experience in griffon-made weapons, you know!"

"Well, if you say so," she said. She put the book aside and slipped daintily to her own hooves. "You're the expert in killing. Where do you suppose it came from?"

"I might have an idea! Quickly, before it's too late!"

He scrambled out the doors, and she followed him down the hallway. "Too late for what?"

"That's top-secret!" he shouted.

"Half the things you've been rambling about to me for the past hour have been top secret," she replied, "and you had no qualms then."

He paused. "Yes, well, um... this is top-TOP-secret! And classified! So there!"

They continued down the hallway at high speed. After a while, another figure came into view, also heading that way.

"Obtuse!" the General shouted.

"That was a gunshot, wasn't it?" the younger unicorn stallion said.

"Yes! We must hurry!"

They continued on, Obtuse taking the lead. General Bristle, however, was beginning to pant behind his moustache.

"Why must... the Baron... live in such a big house!" he gasped.

"It's an unwritten rule that all nobles, no matter how minor, must try to one-up Canterlot Castle for housing," Crystal replied. She was having no trouble keeping up; she was used to long hallways. The ones in her mansion were twice as big.

Soon, a fourth figure came into view.

"George!" The General gasped out between heavy breaths.

The rotund griffon looked up from the plate of ham he was carrying. "Hm? What's the matter?"

"Did you not hear the gunshot?" Obtuse asked.

"Gunshot? You mean the bang just now? I thought that was just a firework going off outside."

"No, you enormous ignoramus!" The General said. "That was clearly a gunshot!"

George blinked.

"Oh, forget you!" The General shouted. They moved on, leaving a confused George behind. Together, they rushed down the seemingly infinite hallway, until at last the General pointed to one of the many doors.

"There!" he said. "That's it!"

He stopped, his knees buckling, his prized moustache wilting. Obtuse ran ahead. His horn lit, and a magical aura rattled the handle.

"It's locked!" he exclaimed. "Here, stand back!"

He backed up, turned around, and with a shout, bucked the door with full force. It burst open with a loud bang.

He turned around and looked inside. A moment later, Crystal walked up and peeked in too. After a third moment, the General, too, dragged himself to the door to see.

Inside was the Baron, lying facing away from them atop a deep red stain in the carpet.

Dead.

"Oh dear."