• Published 7th Oct 2012
  • 1,431 Views, 24 Comments

BIONICLE: Toa of Harmony - ToaofTwilightZ



Turaga Vakama finds out the Toa aren't coming, the Mane 6 fill in for them.

  • ...
6
 24
 1,431

Chapter 1: The Toa aren't coming, Toa of Loyalty

BIONICLE: The Toa of Harmony
By ToaofTwilightZ
Disclaimer: It has come to my attention by way of the Fighting is Magic cease and desist that these disclaimers are pointless. I’m still doing ‘em. Why? Because pointlessness is fun. So, ponies is a trademark of Hasbro and Bionicle is a trademark of Lego.

Chapter 1: The Toa aren’t coming, Toa of Loyalty

*****

Turaga Vakama stared into the sacred fire, as he had every day for a thousand years, his eyes looking elsewhere, to the world of his waking dreams. As the Ta-koro elder looked around, he saw he was floating in a blue sky with wispy white clouds above a glittering blue ocean, the twin suns of his world staring down. As Vakama shielded his eyes from the glare, he noticed six silver cylinders falling toward a small volcanic isle. Vakama smiled as he recognized this particular vision, the tale of the six mighty toa that would come to free his people from the shadows of the Makuta. Vakama pointed to the falling canisters and named each hero inside three seconds before the voices of his mind did. Tahu, Toa of fire. Onua, Toa of earth. Pohatu, Toa of Stone.

At this the vision changed to a pit of sand and rocks ringed with the light of torches. The moon was dark and the six metal containers had shifted to become six yellow stones falling toward two larger stones, one black with menacing grimace painstakingly carved into it, and the other stone yellow a stoic, regal expression. The yellow was lying on its side, and the black was standing over its fallen opponent. Vakama was unfazed, he knew this pit; this was where he told the Legend of Mata Nui to his matoran followers every new moon. Every time his vision of the future was the same, the six toa stones would fall around the black Makuta stone and cast it down, so that the Great Spirit might rise from his slumber and restore the island of Mata Nui to peace. Vakama continued to name each of the stones as they fell. Lewa, Toa of air. Kopaka, Toa of ice. Gali, Toa of water.

Vakama lowered his finger to point to the black stone symbolizing the Makuta, only to be shocked as his vision changed for the first time in centuries. The stone wrapped itself in a dark aura and cast a hand of shadow at the falling stones, so dark that the night sky looked like the brightest day by comparison. The arm reached up to grasp the six stones, suspending them in the air, before casting them back up with such force that they hit the moon, forming three craters on its surface in the shape of two unicorn’s heads and a cruciform toa, though Vakama wouldn’t recognize the unicorns. The world once again shifted as he was back to floating in the sky above his island. Looking down, he saw a shadow creep from the center of the island, slowly spreading to cover the entire land mass in darkness.

Distraught over what this might mean, the leader of the village of fire raised his hands to his face and covered his eyes as he fought to free himself from the vision. As such, he never noticed as six marks popped up in the corners of the island, a rainbow colored lightning bolt, three blue diamonds, a red apple, a flock of balloons, a six sided purple star, and a pink butterfly. Nor did he notice as six streams of rainbow shot through the haze and banished the darkness. As he awoke in his hut, the flickering light of the sacred fire casting strange shadows on the walls, he uttered four words with a tone of dread he had not used since the Visorak.

“The toa aren’t coming.”

*****

Rainbow Dash awoke on a sandy beach looking out over a clear blue ocean. Above, white clouds were drifting through a hazy blue sky, and the light from the two suns warmed her wet and sandy mane. Wait, TWO suns?

Rainbow leapt to her hooves and looked around. She appeared to be in some sort of bay. To her right was a forest that looked like a dragon had sneezed on it. To her left was a winding staircase that led up to a giant telescope on a cliff. At least, Dash thought it might be a telescope. Her friend Twilight Sparkle had showed her a picture of some ancient telescopes she found in a book. Dash, of course, was too cool to be interested in that sort of thing. Twilight was a history geek. An egghead. Twi could name all the stars in her telescope if she wanted to, but history and stargazing were undeniably, unquestionably, uncool.

That being said, it couldn’t hurt to get a closer look at her surroundings. After a few quick looks around to make sure no one would see her, Rainbow climbed the staircase and looked around. Aside from the telescope, the only other thing on the cliff side was a pit of sand with a model of an island and 8 stones. From her high vantage point, Dash could see similarities between the model and the landscape beneath her. An island. She was on an island.

As Rainbow started to panic, she looked around and noticed a bright orange filly with a purple mane lying on the beach in front of a giant stone head. RD went from panic to joy in less than ten seconds flat, flying over to her #1 fan and surrogate sister, relieved that she wasn’t the only pony on the island. Scootaloo was no light sleeper, though, as her only response to Dash’s vigorous shaking was to mumble something about dictionaries and snore louder. Dash giggled lightly as the little pony snuggled a Wonderbolts doll with a rainbow mane, the older pony covering her sleeping friend with a few large leaves as she got back up to assess her situation.

Looking back toward the forest, Dash noticed a small red-armored figure with a red, wedge shaped mask stare back at her before slowly walk back into the misty forest. “Hey!” Dash yelled as she shot over to where the interloper had been, only to find nothing but charred trees and a worn path leading to the volcano. She looked around, scratched her chin, shrugged, and decided to follow the path.

Imagine the pegasus’ surprise as, after just a few minutes of walking, a set of sharp wooden stakes shot up from the ground around her and joined over her head, trapping her in a cage she wasn’t aware had existed moments before. A group of red, armoured bipeds popped up from behind a fallen tree. They looked a lot like the figure she had seen staring at her before, though each wore a masks of different shapes. The creature with a gold, helmet shaped mask (obviously their leader) raised a spear in the air and shouted.

“There, see? I told you that muaka would come back again today, and so we were prepared when it did! I told you: Jala, Captain of the Ta-Koro Guard never steers his soldiers wrong!”

One of the soldiers, an individual with a red Kakama mask whispered to his friend “Yeah, except for last time. And the time before that. And the time before that. An- HEY LOOK, HE’S WRONG AGAIN! HEY JALA, THAT’S NO MUAKA CAT!”

“Shut up Maglya, you don’t know what the Karzahni you’re talkin’ abouhouuu-” Jala trailed off as he looked over to find not a rahi lion in his trap, but a cyan Pegasus mare with a rainbow mane and tail. He walked over to poke her with his spear “What in the name of the Great Spirit has Makuta sent against us now? A creature of pure flesh…”

“I don’t think that’s one of Makuta’s beasts. It’s not wearing a mask.”

“That’s good. Means we can probably just scare it of with a bit of torch and a sharp stick.”

Now Rainbow Dash could handle being poked. She could handle being spied on. She could even handle being on a strange island in the middle of nowhere trapped in a cage in a forest under a volcano with a bunch of masked wierdos with spears mistaking her for some kind of monster. But NOPONY called her a scaredy-cat! “Hey, I’ll have you know I’m one of the bravest, fastest, and coolest ponies in Equestria! I don’t know who Makuta is, or what’s a muaka cat, but my name’s Rainbow Dash, and I five friends, two immortal alicorn princesses, a dragon, a tortoise, and the Wonderbolts who’ll come running and beat the bolts out of you if you touch one feather! Not to mention I’m not too bad with my own four hooves! You got that?!”

“Whoa, it talks!”

“Wouldn’t exactly call that talking. Equestria, alicorn, wanderbelts… WHAT IN MATA NUI’S NAME IS A WANDERBELT?”

“What do you think we should do with it?”

“Same thing we always do.”

“And that is?”

“I don’t remember. Ask Kapura.”

The entire tribe turned to look at their companion slowly walking up toward the group with a torch in hand. Rainbow recognized this being as the figure who had watched her from outside the woods. The matoran opened his mouth and spoke two words in a slow, monotone voice.

“Burn it…?”

As the hunting party cheered and ran to grab more torches, Rainbow Dash started to panic as she frantically paced and hovered in the small, cramped space of the trap. The speed at which she made her revolutions around the center of the pile increased until, without her or the diminutive hunters noticing, a mach cone formed around the pegasi as she paced faster and faster. Jala turned around to see a cyan blur with a rainbow trail stirring up shards of volcanic glass and woodchips in a multi-hued tornado inside his trap. Before he could cry out, and bang rang out across the entire island, sending a rainbow cloud of ash and splinters colliding with the pillars of the pegasus’ prison, ripping them to pieces. Rainbow Dash and the all matoran stopped (except Kapura, who continued on at his steady pace of 7 millimeters per second) and looked at each other in shock.

20 seconds later, a roar split the air, startling the poor Pegasus as her limbs straightened like wood and she landed on her back with a frightened goat noise. “Is that a d-d-d-d-DRAGON?”

Maglya shook his head, his eyes wide behind his mask. “No, but remember how you said you didn’t know what a muaka was?”

“Yeah?”

“You aren’t gonna be able to say that anymore. Or pretty much anything else, after it eats ya’.”

Rainbow flew up into the air and looked around to find a large, mechanical lion sniffing around the edge of the forest as the hunting party zipped behind a nearby tree so they could watch from a safe distance. The beast stopped, ears and nose twitching, and pointed its large head toward a snoring pile of leaves on the beach before heading in that direction, licking its lips. “Oh no you don’t!” Rainbow muttered to herself as she darted in front of the monster’s path and gave it a solid buck.

The Muaka blinked, rubbed its snout with its paw, then snorted and pounced at the cyan Pegasus. “Omygosh omygosh omygosh NOT GOOD!” Rainbow cried as she dodged and shot back up the path to the volcano, the large cat chasing after her swinging its clawed forelegs and snapping its fangs. Dash darted between charred trees with an aptitude reminiscent of her last stunt practice with Fluttershy before the young fliers competition, hoping to lose the beast as it tried to follow in the narrow gaps between trunks. The muaka stopped in front of the trees with a look of puzzlement for a second, causing RD to beam at the thought of how brilliant she was. Her pride turned to dismay, though, as a lightstone appeared above the feline’s head and the beast charged through the brittle, burnt remains of the forest as if they were made of clouds.

“Horseapples!” Rainbow cursed as her rainbow-colored contrail was snapped at by her rapidly closing pursuer. She turned to look forward again as she rocketed off a cliff straight above a lake of lava. The muaka leapt off the cliffafter her, only for its eyes to widen as it flailed its leg through thin air and fell a good 60 hooves to land head-first on a lower tier of cliff side, grey pegasi with yellow manes flying around its dazed head. The beast got up, shook its head, then ran away, deciding to find some easier prey without wings. The cyan Pegasus rode the thermal updrafts from the pool of lava back up to the higher cliff side, where a group of red matoran threw their spear and torches on the ground and bowed to their heroine.

“Only a mighty toa-hero can best a wild muaka beast! Please forgive us, Toa Rainbow Dash, for our earlier treatment!” Jala cried out with his face inches above the dirt. “The Makuta has been relentlessly attacking us with fresh waves of rahi everyday, and has even been known to cloud the mind of a good matoran to attack their friends and fellow villagers. That is why we did not trust you at first! Now that you have proven your courage and strength to us, might we humbly ask you to help us free our island from the shadow of the Makuta?”

Just then, Vakama, the turaga of the village of fire ran up to his Captain of the Guard with flailing arms and a look of terror. “My villagers! I have horrible news! The toa are-“

“We know! The toa are here! And the mighty Toa Rainbow Dash here has come to our village and single-hoofedly defeated the Muaka that has been threatening us for weeks! She’s has to be at least ten times cooler than anything we expected!”

Rainbow drew herself up and with mock humility said “Oh, I don’t know if I’m all that. Maybe about 20% cooler, tops,” she smiled at the villagers, who resumed bowing down to her.

The village elder, on the other hand, did his best to hide his shock, and with barely concealed skepticism, said “Yes, well, that is exactly what I was about to say that I discovered about the ancient prophecy. It said we should not expect our heroes to look like any form of tall matoran or turaga. But tell me, ‘Toa Rainbow Dash’, what is your elemental power? Every Toa has a particular element that they control. What is yours?”

“Oh, that’s easy! I’m the Element of Loyalty! My friends make up the other elements with magic, honesty, laughter, kindness, and generosity. Speaking of which, I should probably start looking for my friends so I can find out why I’m here and what I’m supposed to do…”

“Oh, I can tell you EXACTLY what the Toa are destined to do here…” Vakama smiled as he realized the perfect way to prove this new ‘Toa’ for the fraud she was.

Author's Note:

Welcome to the reboot of the century! The decade? The past two weeks? No? Ok then.
So for those who don't read my blog posts (don't feel bad, I'm not sure why you read any of my stuff, tbh), I gave up on this fic about a year or two ago for reasons that were, and are total bs. After getting frequent comments from one reader who literally devoured my baby last week (you know who you are) I decided to look back over my old work, reminding myself of everything I hated about it.
And you know know what? I decided that not only were those problems fixable, but I like to think that I've matured enough to where I won't leave you guys hanging again (assuming my fans are in fact plural, and I'm not just deluding myself XD). I also have a much better idea for where I want this story to go. I've got basically up until the Tarakava fight completely redone, and will get to posting all of those as fast as I can.
For those of you who are new readers, I hope I haven't spoiled anything, and welcome...to my baby. Wait, that sounded weird, don't go away!
Also, don't read the comments here, they're about chapter 9 from the old version of this fic.