• Published 25th Feb 2024
  • 493 Views, 22 Comments

Out of their Elements - setiell



Wallflower Blush managed to erase the memories of the rest of the six girls. Now they have no memories of the friendships that were made in CHS. How is Sunset going to fix this? (An alternative touch to EG special: Forgotten Friendship)

  • ...
3
 22
 493

Chapter 1

Sunset slowly walked towards her friends. Not sure of what just happened, she slowly opened her mouth.

“Girls.. Do you remember me?”

All of them stared at her hesitantly. After a moment of silence, Fluttershy stepped out.

“It’s hard to forget you after everything you’ve done.”

“What am I even doing here?” she whispered to herself. After giving Sunset the final glare, she walked in the direction of the school building.

Seeing Fluttershy walking away, the other girls started to mumble too.

“I think I have to go somewhere.”

“Me too.”

With an agreeing nod, they all turned around and started to get away from the scene. Everyone, except for Twilight. Twilight looked into Sunset’s eyes, her pupils trembling. The look on her face made it clear that Twilight was very uncomfortable with this situation.

“Twilight..?” Sunset reached a hand.

“I.. have to go too.” Twilight said, trying to avoid Sunset’s hand.

Twilight started to run, not giving Sunset a chance to say anything else.

“Twilight! Wait!”

Sunset grabbed Twilight’s hand with a firm grip. With a flash in her eyes, Sunset’s whole world turned white.

—------

Twilight Sparkle slowly descended from the sky. Her body was back to her usual form, and the monster-like horns and wings were gone. Everyone watched with fear and pity on their faces.

“I’m.. sorry.”

Twilight waited for anyone to say anything, but nothing came. Silence was the only thing the slicing wind was carrying.

It was a week after the friendship games. At Crystal Prep, the hottest topic of the week was the nerd student’s demonic transformation. There were rumors like it was all Principal Cinch’s fault that Twilight made that choice, but no one knew the truth, or rather, they were pretending to be ignorant of the actual truth, keeping their distance from all their sins and faults.

I just want to get away from all this, and it isn’t even possible since there’s no chance that Principal Cinch would approve of my application after last week’s events.

Twilight kept her head down, walking towards the science lab. All she wanted now was to be alone. She kept on walking, until she bumped into a tall figure.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to -” The girl quickly said. She raised her head, only to meet the stern face from her school’s very own principal.

“Twilight Sparkle, just the girl I wanted to see. Follow me to my office.”

Principal Cinch sat on her chair, gesturing to Twilight to sit facing her. She opened her mouth with a winner’s grin on her face.

“Twilight Sparkle, Do you realize that you are one of my most prized pupils?”

Twilight wasn’t expecting that.

“Well, but after last week’s rather.. disturbing event, I’m afraid I have to decline your application for the Independent study course in Everton.”

“I…”

At least Twilight expected that to happen at some point. Seeing the sad expression emerging from her student’s face, Principal Cinch continued.

“Also, I’m afraid I have to expel you from CPA.”

Twilight wasn’t definitely expecting that. Tears were starting to form around her eyes, and she started to breathe heavily.

“What?? But that can’t be! How can I hold full responsibility for what happened at the games! You were the one who told me to do it… I… It isn’t fair...”

“Nothing is fair in life, dear. I’ll give you a choice.” Cinch stood up and started to walk slowly around Twilight. “You can either get expelled from this school, and get a permanent record about all these events,” Twilight looked at her principal’s eyes with disbelief and terror. “or, you can just transfer to CHS,” She raised her index finger and continued to talk. “Only if you agree to tell anyone else that this was none of my fault, but all yours. If you do the latter, I’ll make sure that none of this would get into any of your records.”

“So, what’s your choice?”

Twilight answered with a shaking voice, sobbing quietly.

“I’ll… take the latter..”

Cinch looked down at the crying girl with a huge smile on her face.

“Very good. You are free to go now.”

Twilight walked down the hallway with her head down.

“Is that.. Twilight?”

“No, she’s the other Twilight who turned into a monster at the games. Don’t you remember?”

“Oh right.”

Twilight tried to block out the others’ hurtful words that were directed at her. It turns out CHS wasn’t that different from CPA. I guess no one wants to be my friend. Not that I need friends. After all, I’m better when I work alone. Right?

—-------------

“What..?” Sunset took her hand off the purple skinned girl, trying to process what she just saw in the vision.

“I’ll be going.”

Twilight Sparkle ran away, leaving the red headed girl consumed in her own thoughts, alone in the parking lot. The sky was colored in red and orange, and the wind was howling through the heavy atmosphere.

—————-

Sunset Shimmer started to scribble down words in the journal. Her hand was shaking, and her handwriting was all messed up due to this.

Twilight. Can I go to Equestria right now? I have an urgent matter to talk about, and I think it’s better to meet and discuss rather than write.

Of course, you can. Did something go wrong with the memory stone?

Yes. Something went wrong. Very wrong.

—————-

“What??? So you’re saying that she got new magical powers and actually erased their memories?”

Twilight started to walk back and forth, panicking, and repeatedly breathing in and out of a brown paper bag.

“Don’t forget the part where the geodes absorbed all the memories and my geode merged with the memory stone.” Sunset said, in a pretty hopeless voice. She wrapped her hooves around her head.

“Seriously Twilight. What am I gonna do???? When I read my world’s Twilight’s memory, it was different from what happened. Before you say anything, Yes. I know the use of memory stone affects and alters other memories. But this was just drastically different! I can’t even compare this to the change I saw when Wallflower used the memory stone for the first time.”

Twilight was quiet for a moment, probably thinking about the whole situation, and she started to talk.

“Can you show me your geode Sunset? Maybe I can run some tests and figure out what happened to the memory stone. It might actually give us some answers about how we are going to get the girls’ memories back. You know, since we don’t have the destroying option left anymore.”

“Oh. sure.”

Sunset reached her hooves to her neck. She easily removed her geode and handed it over to the alicorn mare. Twilight grabbed it with her telekinesis, closed her eyes and mumbled some words, which Sunset figured it was a magical signature examination spell. After a while, Twilight opened her eyes again and talked.

“It doesn’t seem to hold any memories inside. So, since the memories aren't contained inside the stone, I doubt that the memories will be gone permanently after 3 days.”

“Then they are probably contained inside the geode of theirs.” Sunset said.

“Also, this actually has a very interesting magical energy contained inside it. I’ve never seen anything like this!” Twilight said, looking very excited.

“What does it mean?”

“Uh.. That part is the problem. I have no idea!!!! But, don’t worry Sunset, I’ll make sure to analyze and get some results we can comprehend in a few days-”

“A few days??” Sunset shouted. She wasn’t expecting to give up her geode, even if it was for a short while.

Twilight closed her eyes and continued.

“Yes. It will take at least a week to properly analyze them without getting affected by any possible side effects. Also, Princess Celestia went to the Crystal Empire with Princess Luna for some royal decree. She really wanted to stay until your circumstances got better, but she had no choice. To show her all this and get some advice, we have to wait 3 more days for them to come back to Canterlot. I’m sorry about this, Sunset.”

Sunset sighed, knowing that she didn’t have any choice if she wanted some answers.

“It’s okay Twilight.. Aside from how much I don’t want to give up my geode, especially in this kind of circumstance, I understand the importance of proper research too. Just.. make sure to let me know any new progress. Okay?”

“Of course.” Twilight smiled.

Sunset started to pack her things. Being curious, Twilight asked.

“So.. what will you be doing in the meantime? We have a spare room in the castle if you want.” She offered.

Sunset considered staying, but she quickly chose her mind.

“I think I should be going back. We don’t know how long this situation will last, and if what I saw in Twilight’s vision happened similarly in others' memories, it can’t be good. I can’t just stand here and watch everyone suffering from the fake past all by themselves.”

“So?” Twilight asked.

“I’ll try to befriend them…Again.” Sunset said in a sad, but determined tone.

“You really are a good friend Sunset.”

—————-

Sunset stood in front of the schoolyard. It was a new day. A very new day. She walked down the hallways, lost in her thoughts. What will my friends be like? How am I supposed to approach them? How do I know what happened in their fake pasts if I don’t have the geode? Well, I guess there’s only one way to find out. Now, where would the girls be?

She continued the endless train of thoughts until she bumped into a smaller girl.

“Oof. I’m sorry.”

“Uh.. Okay?” The girl answered. She looked at her friends and whispered.

“Did she just say ‘sorry’?”

“I guess so.” Her friend said.

Sunset, hearing all this conversation, turned around to see who the voices belonged to. She was able to see some familiar faces, which she immediately recognized as Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo.

“Oh it’s you girls. How is it going on with your little club?” Sunset managed a small smile.

“We’re.. fine..?” Sweetie Belle answered.

“Why is she talking to us..?” Scootaloo whispered to the others.

Oh. I was so focused on others’ memories that I almost forgot that no one remembers that I am nice. Sunset realized. She sighed and continued to talk.

“I’m not trying to do anything, girls.”

“Okay? We’ll be going.” Apple Bloom said.

“Yeah. We probably should.” Scootaloo seconded.

The three girls started to walk away. Watching them go, suddenly, an idea struck in Sunset’s head.

“Wait!”

“Huh?” They turned their heads.

“Can we talk somewhere private? I have something to talk about. It’s very important. It’s about your sisters.” Sunset said.

“Are you trying to do something to them again?” Sweetie Belle asked reluctantly.

“No. Not at all. Meet me at the band practice room in ten minutes. Just let me go and grab something real quick.” Sunset started to run, leaving the three girls confused.

—————-

“So, why did you call us?”

Sunset sat down and started to talk in a serious tone.

“Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo. I’m going to tell you something, and no matter how ridiculous it sounds, this is all the truth. I want you to hear me out, so, No running off being scared that I’m crazy and making this all up.”

“Okay..?” The girls answered.

Sunset sighed before she continued.

“The memories about your sisters’ friendship were all wiped. What you know about their high school life could be all fake and -”

“Whoa whoa whoah.. I know you said to us to just hear it out, but do you really think we would believe that?” Scootaloo interrupted.

“Yeah. After everything you’ve done?” Apple Bloom added.

Sunset knew there was no way to get out of this. So, she decided to face it.

“I’m sorry for what I did to Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash. I’m sorry for everything I have done in the past, and I can swear I have changed. Now I’m trying to make up for them. I can’t just -”

“Wait. Did ya just say Applejack?” Apple Bloom cut in.

“Uh.. Yeah..? She’s your sister.”

“How did ya know she’s mah sister? Are ya tryin’ to blackmail her?“ The small girl started to ask.

“Everyone knows that you two are sisters! How can this possibly be blackmailing??” Sunset said.

“Because everyone doesn’t.” Sweetie Belle said as if it was a matter of fact.

“What..?”

“Applejack told me to keep it a secret that she and ah are sisters. Not many know about it, ya know.”

“Oh..”

“So, how did ya know about it? Have ya stalked us?!” Apple Bloom said.

Sunset continued in a sincere voice. “I haven’t. Girls, I know this is really hard to believe. But what I’ve told you, it’s all true. Someone called Wallflower Blush has wiped out some important memories from everyone. First, It started with her erasing everyone’s memories about my redemption, and now, she stole everyone’s memory about your sisters’ friendships that were made after CHS.”

“You’re saying that..”

“Yes. Everything you remember could be fake. I knew those things because I used to be friends with them. See?” Sunset pulled out her phone and showed the girls all the group photos they’d taken.

“But.. How can we trust you? How do we know if you’re telling the truth?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“Because I have proof.”

Sunset reached her backpack and pulled out a drone. She connected it with her laptop, and played a video. A video that Wallflower Blush was admitting all her sins. When the video ended, the room was filled with heavy silence. It was a while before Apple Bloom opened her mouth.

“So.. it’s all true then.”

“Yeah, and I really want to help your sisters. My friends.” Sunset said.

“How were they like in your memories?” Sweetie Belle asked in a small voice.

Sunset smiled and closed her eyes, thinking about her friends. “Well, I honestly don’t know what they are like now, so this can have no difference from what you know.” And I really want it to. “Rarity is caring, fashion forward and generous. She can sure be a drama queen, but she’s probably one of the most giving people I’ve ever known. Applejack.. She is very hardworking, has a lot of pride in her farm and Sweet apple Acres stuff. She loves her family very much, and she is honest. Very, honest. And for Rainbow Dash, she loves to play sports, and is brash, hotheaded, boastful, and can be a bit handful. But at the end of the day, she’s the most loyal friend you can ever ask for.” Sunset finished with a bitter smile.

When she opened her eyes again, she was able to see tears streaming down the little girls’ faces. It was obvious that they weren’t aware of it.

“Are you girls.. crying?”

“No I’m not..” Scootaloo said as she wiped down her face with her hands.

“Maybe..?” Sweetie Belle said.

“Um.. Ah think It just reminded me of what it used ta be?” Apple Bloom added.

Sunset saw the girls astounded for a moment. She then approached them with a sad look. Sunset hugged the girls, comforting them in her embrace. The girls sniffed as they let their tears flow freely.

“I really want mah sis back.. it’s not that she’s not there anymore.. but she’s not like she used ta be..” Apple Bloom said.

“Yeah. It’s just like she’s suddenly distant. Every time I try to talk to Dash about it, she just avoids me, and pretends everything is fine. But I know she’s not. She doesn’t act like her old self anymore.” Scootaloo said.

“Rarity isn’t all that different, but she did become a bit distant. I wanted to know what happened, but I guess she doesn’t want me to.”

“I’m sorry that happened girls. But I know what they need, and I’m going to need your help for it.” Sunset said.

“What is it that they need? How can we help?” Scootaloo asked.

“You can start by telling me how they act, or anything you know about what has been going on. All they need is a true friend.”

Author's Note:

Cutie Mark Crusaders Sister Helpers! Yay! :scootangel: