• Published 9th Feb 2024
  • 193 Views, 8 Comments

A New Spark - emerald_shine



A test subject is sent through a strange portal to find a whole new fantasy world.

  • ...
 8
 193

Chapter 2: God of Lies

"Shit shit shit shit!" Twilight was pacing around the room quickly.

"Twilight! Snap out of it! Panicking won't help anything!"

Twilight turned to face Starlight. "You're right. Why shouldn't I be concerned about the fact that two ponies are trapped on the other side of that portal and we have no way to get them home!"

Starlight put a hoof on Twilight's shoulder. "Twilight. The portal was set for Canterlot High. Just go use the portal upstairs!

Twilight sighed and looked down at the ground. "I should have thought of that."

* * *

"Are you okay?" Lyra Back up a little from Kaya as she moved closer.

"I haven't seen someone with such a vibrant spark since...." She paused and thought for a second. "Damn! Since the war of the spark! I haven't come in contact with anyone like me for a while."

Lyra held up a hand. "Hang on. Back up. Explain."

Kaya took a deep breath. "Sorry. I was just a little excited. I can't believe you have an active spark!"

"Spark?" Bon-Bon had jumped into the conversation. "You can't just keep saying random nonsense that we don't understand. We need you to explain."

Kaya smiled. "Fine. When people are born, there is a chance that they will be born with a spark inside them. For most, they can live their entire lives without even knowing about their spark. But for some, their spark can ignite and become active! Your spark interests me. It wishes to ignite but it hasn't yet."

Lyra tilted her head. "What does the spark do?"

"It gives you the ability to walk between planes." The trio began walking again as Kaya continued talking. "If you tag along with me, you might be able to ignite your spark. Often times, your spark will ignite in dangerous situations."

"What caused your spark to ignite?"

Kaya hesitated for a second. "I don't really like to talk about it. Just hang out with me for a bit. I can teach you both things you could never dream of."

Bon-Bon tilted her head. "What do you mean?"

Kaya smiled. "I can sense a magical aura coming off of both of you. But it's not the same as the magic we create from our drawn mana." Kaya then began to glow an eerie blue-green color and she phased through Lyra and got in front of her before returning to her normal appearance. "See?"

Bon-Bon and Lyra stared at her with amazement. "What was that?" Lyra asked.

"Ghostform. Most planeswalkers specialize in something specific. I specialize in my ghostform. It's extremely useful in combat."

Lyra nodded. "I want to learn how to use that kind of magic!"

"I'm not the best teacher honestly. There are all kinds of magic planeswalkers can use. The best place to learn would be Strixhaven of course. Or Ravnica but Strixhaven is much safer."

"How do I get there?"

"Good luck. Strixhaven is a different plane. You're too heavy for me to bring you with me when I planeswalk and you don't have an active spark. The only way there would be through the planar bridge and there's no way I'm going near that thing."

"Why not?"

"Long story." They had reached the mouth of the cave at last. Just as the man had told Kaya, there was a boat there. The trio climbed in and the boat began to move magically. An orange portal opened up in front of them. "What the hell is that?" Kaya asked.

The boat went through the portal and they stopped in a completely different area. An underground cave of sorts. Kaya drops to the ground and begins inspecting the rock.

"What are you doing?" Bon-Bon asked.

"Looking for the praetor. I didn't know I was hunting that thing but I might be able to get a little bit more money out of my client if I can bring him a praetor's head."

"Praetor?" Lyra had learned more words today than she had since she was three.

"Vorinclex. One of the Phyrexian Praetors. I don't know why he's here but it must mean trouble. I've been thinking that the Phyrexians are up to something for a while. Now I'm sure of it."

"I thought you were going to help the plane?"

"Nah. I just said that so Alrund would leave me alone." Bon-Bon and Lyra follow Kaya through the cave as she continues to track the monster they had seen earlier.

"Hey! Look!" Bon-Bon pointed ahead of them at a spot of light coming from one of the cave's branching passages. Kaya put a finger to her lips to signal silence and gestured for them to follow quietly. They crept through the caves and soon reached a clearing.

Hundreds upon hundreds of ugly green creatures were gathered in the clearing. They were chanting and yelling. There was a man standing in the middle of all of it. Lyra couldn't make out the details. All she could see was that he had pale skin and his face was obscured in a black cloak that was inscribed with golden runes. A glowing blue sword was strapped to his back.

"Fucking trolls." Kaya was grumbling under her breath as they surveyed the scene before them. They had emerged on a wooden platform overlooking the clearing below them. The man in the middle stopped for a second. He seemed to hear something. He looked up to see the trio staring down at him.

He began speaking again. He was speaking in a language that Lyra couldn't understand but it certainly was getting the trolls below riled up. They started moving in a hoard towards the ladder leading up to their wooden platform. Kaya looked at Lyra. "Okay. I'm gonna teach you a spell. I can't cast it myself because I'm bound to Black and White mana. Since you haven't ignited, it will be easy for you to draw any color of mana.

Lyra tilted her head. "What?"

Kaya continued. "I'm gonna teach you a red and white spell. Here, take my hand." Lyra took her hand as a couple trolls began ascending the tall ladder. "Okay. Dual color spells are difficult so let me help you. I'll produce the white mana. You produce the red."

"What the hell? I don't know how to produce mana!"

Kaya put her other hand on Lyra's shoulder. "It's okay. I'll walk you through it quickly. The philosophy behind red mana is a sense of adventure. Focus on your emotions. Think of what makes you sad, angry, happy." Lyra's hand began to glow a faint red. Kaya smiled. "Okay. Now, stop thinking about all of that and try to channel your magic without thinking. It's the way to produce the strongest red mana. Through impulse and a lack of control."

Lyra did as she said.She didn't know how, and she didn't know why, but the red glow coming from her hand grewbrighter and brighter. Kaya used the hand she was grabbing Lyra's with and drew the white mana she required for the spell. They two colors mixed together above them and collided.

"Guys? They're getting closer."

"Quiet!" Kaya yelled. Bon-Bon quieted herself. "Now! Think of lightning! The unpredictability, the anger, the wrath that comes with it! Now!" When Kaya yelled that, Lyra could feel something coursing through her body. At first, she thought it was adrenaline but then she realized. She had drawn the red mana she needed. Even more importantly, however, was the effect the mana had in collision with Kaya's white mana. Lightning shot out of their hands and did a double helix. It began to direct itself towards the trolls on the ladder.

The spell's effect finished with a giant bolt of lightning falling in the middle of the hoard. Afterwards, Lyra fell to the wooden floor, exhausted. Kaya hoisted her up to her feet. "No time for rest! He's getting away!" Bon-Bon looked around to see that thee man had fled.

Lyra watched as Kaya drew white mana and spread an aura across herself. She then jumped down from the platform. Lyra watched in amazement. They had to be at least thirty feet up!

Lyra and Bon-Bon opted for using the ladder instead. Lyra, who was getting much better control over her elven body than Bon-Bon jumped onto the ladder and lightly grasped the bars on the side, allowing her to slide her way down. Bon-Bon began to fall behind as she slowly took the ladder towards the ground. Multiple times, her foot slipped as she looked down at the ground below.

"Hurry up Bonnie!" Lyra called from below.

When Bon-Bon had finally reached the ground, she felt her stomach get queasy at the smell of the charred bodies all around her. It seemed hard to believe that Lyra had something to do with it.

Bon-Bon ran quickly towards the place that the other two were running towards. She couldn't see it from above, but there was another small tunnel in the wall. She began to run through it, finding it to be very short. She stopped when she saw Kaya and Lyra standing still. The tunnel had been a dead end and the man was now cornered.

"Who are you?" Kaya asked.

The man chuckled. "You have a lot of nerve girls. You've interfered with the plans of a god!" The man stood up. All that was visible under his cloak was his malicious smile.

Bon-Bon backed away, unsure of what he was going to do. Kaya, however looked a little closer at the man. She held up a hand. "Hold on a second. I don't think we have. Because you're not a god are you?"

The man's smile turned to a snarl of anger as he proclaimed, "What lies! You dare defy me mortal?"

Kaya smiled. Not her usual warm smile but more of a deadly smile. She said, "Did you really think I wouldn't recognize you? That damn smile gives you away.

The man smiled. "There truly is no fooling you is there?" He pulls back his hood to reveal himself. As he does, his form begins to change into what seemed to be a half-devil, half-man. Kaya gave a small sound that sounded a lot like a growl.

"The fuck are you doing on this plane Tibalt?"

The devil smiled. "Making a legacy." With that, he drew the sword from his back and swung it towards Kaya. Kaya swiftly pulled out her daggers and clashed them against the sword. The glowing sword made quick work of her daggers as they shattered and fell to the ground. Kaya was almost knocked down by the blow and Tibalt smiled. "What a reunion." He said. He raised his sword to thrust downwards as Lyra and Bon-Bon stood frozen in fear.

As Tibalt began to lower his sword towards Kaya, Lyra heard footsteps coming quickly towards them. Lyra saw a creature with pointy ears just like hers running towards them. He had a sword attached to his arm and he had purpole tattoos over his body. He crashes into Tibalt, knocking his sword off course. The elf quickly slashed at Tibalt's face but Tibalt dodged quickly.

Tibalt raised his sword but not in the direction of the elf. Bon-Bon and Lyra watched in awe as the sword began to glow a brilliant blue. He slashed the sword at nothing but to their surprise, the sword seemed to rip through reality. An orange tunnel, very similar to the one that the had gone through in the boat. On the other side, they could see a barren wasteland and a large tower-like structure in the distance.

Tibalt flees into the portal and seems to disappear. Lyra, Bon-Bon, and the elf all bend down to make sure Kaya is okay.

Kaya stands up slowly and looks over the elf that had saved her. "Who are you?"

The elf held out his hands. "Tyvar. Tyvar Kell. It's nice to meet you."

Kaya cautiously takes his hand. "Okay. Why are you here?"

"I'm from Alfheim. It's one of the realms connected through the world tree. That man appeared to us claiming to be Valki, the god of lies. He told us we should prepare for a war between the other realms. I didn't quite trust him especially because he calls himself the god of lies. I followed him here."

"How did you cross the realms? We've needed a special boat just to get this far."

"I've been able to cross realms pretty easily since I was like six."

Kaya looks confused. She wondered, If I couldn't cross realms without the longboat, how could he? She observes Tyvar closer and notices a small pendant he wears around his neck. I know I've seen that before. Kaya recognizes it as something from the plane of Zendikar. He hasn't been traveling through the relams. He's been traveling between planes!"

This realization makes Kaya a little uneasy about Tyvar. From her experience, planeswalkers are often only out for themselves. She keeps her composure and continues the conversation. "Listen, I'm here hunting a monster for a bounty. Have you seen something that looks like a mixture between flesh and machinery?"

"No. I'm more concerned about what that devil has planned for this realm. He's doing something. But I'm not sure what."

Kaya looks over towards Lyra and Bon-Bon. "I think we should follow him." Lyra says. "He's up to something and I don't think it's anything good." Kaya thinks for a second and nods. She gestures towards the portal and the four of them step through it.

What they heard next sent shivers through Lyra and Bon-Bon's heads. A loud shriek echoed through the air. They saw multiple winged beasts flying in the sky in the distance. "I think our first goal here should be to get that sword away from Tibalt. I think whatever he's planning will involve that thing so we have to make sure he can't use it. Also, We need to help her learn magic." She pointed at Lyra. "I felt it. She has extremely high mana concentration and I think she can be an extremely powerful weapon if we teach her."

Bon-Bon then spoke up. "Is there anything I can do to help?"

Kaya turned towards her. "What are you good at?"

Bon-Bon smiled. "I worked for an agency back on Equestria. I have all sorts of random skills." She looked around and took a specific note of the double bladed sword attached to Tyvar's arm. She ran over and grabbed a broken piece of a metal pipe. She grabbed a large stone. She ran over to Tyvar and began sharpening the rock quickly against his blade. "Is there some kind of magical spell I can use to attach these together?" She asked once she was done. "Normally,I'd do it myself but I don't see any sufficient binding materials around here."

Kaya looked at her intensely. "I'll admit, the speed was impressive. I don't sense an incredibly strong connection to the mana of this world coming from you. Not to mention the mana I can sense radiating around this plane is mostly red and black. Maybe, I can teach you a binding spell but it might be hard without a strong connection to blue mana.

Bon-Bon nodded and walked over. "Okay. For this one, you're going to want to close your eyes. Just like with your friend, you want to focus on the core values of the color you wish to draw. Think of opportunities and possibility. Blue is very heavy with manipulation spells. They believe that everything exists without purpose or meaning. Channel that as you think of what spell you want to cast."

Lyra watched as Bon-Bon's hand turned a very faint shade of blue. She smiled as her marefriend was making progress. Suddenly, Bon-Bon channeled the magic into the two objects she was holding. They were soon attached tightly with a magical blue-green substance. Kaya picked up the newly made axe and hit it hard against the ground. "Nice job. That's not going anywhere."

"You can have it! Since your daggers broke." Bon-Bon smiled and Kaya accepted the gift.

Suddenly, two monstrous creatures landed near the party. Tyvar raised his blades and Kaya drew the axe out in front of her.

The monsters roared loudly and the battle began.

Author's Note:

Aw yeah! Demons are great. The realm pf Immersturm is a twisted one indeed. Next chapter, we're gonna have some real fun with that sword :)