• Published 25th Jan 2024
  • 1,620 Views, 160 Comments

New Moon - Majestic_Donut



"This... is not what I was expecting to happen when Nightmare was defeated..." ~ Celestia

  • ...
3
 160
 1,620

"Foals don't do that..."

"CADYYYYYYYYY!!!!" a voice could be heard in the distance. Please tell me this isn't an emergency... Cadence thought to herself.

"CADY!!! LUNA SAID HER FIRST WORD!!!!" Celestia shouted right in Cadence's face.

"T-That's nice..." Cadence said absentmindedly, rubbing the pain out of her ears. "Wait, what was that again?"

"Sorry," Celestia said, lowering the volume, "Luna said her first word! Luna, can you say it again? Say 'Tia'."

"Tia," Luna said, staring with blank confusion (and possibly a small cry for help) at Cadence.

"See! Isn't this great! I've never been more proud!" Celestia beamed, finally setting Luna down while she immediately went to go play with Cadence's pink teddy bear.

"Oh my gosh really?! That's so amazing and exciting and- wait... how old is Luna again?" Cadence asked.

"What do you mean?" Celestia said, her mood shifting.

"How old is she?"

"Um... (yesterday was Tuesday and if something happens twice every week and we've had -unintelligible murmuring- and carry the two...) About two weeks old," Celestia resolved.

"... Foals don't do that," Cadence stated blankly.

"What?"

"No foal in existence, even mortal ones, start talking at two weeks old. Maybe a word here and there at six months old, but never at two weeks old... and she did have that growth spurt..." Cadence explained thoughtfully.

"So what, she's just aging super quickly or-" Cadence nods affirmatively. "Wait... really?"

"Tia, we need to check this out."


Celestia just sat there, not a little bored while she waited to hear back from the pediatrician about the results of Luna's physical. He finally came back with the results and what he said completely rocked Celestia's world.

"SHE'S SIX MONTHS OLD?!"

"Eh hem... correction, six or seven months old, according to her biology compared to other fillies at her development level," The pediatrician said, ignoring the ringing in his ears.

"But, how is that possible? It's only been about two weeks!" Celestia exclaimed. "Answers. Now."

"We both know alicorns age very very slowly, correct? And ponies age more quickly, comparatively speaking. If my calculations are correct, and they usually are, Luna is currently on course to have aged one pony year in a total time of a month. By the end of the year, I project she'll biologically be about six years old."

"You mean to tell me my sister is aging ONE YEAR EVERY MONTH?!?!" Celestia panicked.

"Yes."

"Do we know if she'll stop?"

"No," The pediatrician stated bluntly.


Back in Cadence's room, Celestia and Cadence sat in beanbag chairs, watching baby Luna sleep on Cady's bed while they spoke in hushed voices.

"So, is Luna officially mortal now?" Cadence asked.

"I don't know. I don't sense any change in her magical signature that indicates that her immortality is gone. As I've told you before, we do age for at least some time. First, one pony year ever 100 years, and then our aging slows down much more dramatically at around our 20's until circumstances kill us, whether an assassin or very harsh illness," Celestia explained solemnly.

"I remember..." Cadence shuddered. "How old was Luna supposed to be when she returned?"

Celestia looked upon Luna, gently stroking her mane while she slept. "About 23, maybe 24. Somewhere in her 20's, though I'm not certain. We honestly stopped keeping track of our age after about a thousand years..." Celestia sighed.

"So... maybe she'll age like a normal alicorn once she has aged back to her real age? Who's to say the magic that regressed her into a foal isn't simply undoing itself?" Cadence speculated.

"I hope that's the case. I can't imaging ever living without Luna in my life again! I cost us one thousand years together..." Celestia sighed, still stroking Luna's mane as she recalled their foal-hood together. It was just the two of us... We only had each other. I should have been there for you more. I'll be there for you now. Celestia promised to herself. "I'll never make that mistake again."


As predicted, when Luna was "one month old" she was biologically a year old. She certainly had a lot more to say, but not yet enough for complete sentences.

"Tiiiiiaaaaaaa!!!!! I pooooped!!!!!" Luna yelled at her sister down the hall.

"Oh, that's nice... I'll come change your diaper in a second!" Celestia promised. I suppose one benefit of Luna aging so quickly is that I'll be able to potty train her in about another month.

"TIIIIAAAAAAA!!!!!"

"I'm coming!!!" Celestia called back, quickly running to Luna's nursery to change her diaper. Lets see if I can make that less than a month. I sure love speed-running parenting heheheh...

Author's Note:

And that's another chapter shorter than the last one by like 100 words :pinkiecrazy: They'll get longer again now that Luna is talking, I promise :twilightblush:

In other news, looks like Harmony has decided Tia will be speed-running parenting. From wanting Luna to just grow up again to wishing she didn't have to grow so quickly. Such is the emotional whiplash Celestia must suffer for her own crimes LOL. I wasn't gonna age Luna up until chapter 5, but I ran out of ideas for things newborn filly Luna could do without getting too redundant (I mean, at this age all they do is eat, sleep, poop, and cry and we've seen all of that already :twilightoops:). Being a little older and being able to do things and talk will make writing more chapters about this stage of life easier.

The older Luna gets, the longer chapters will be and the longer we'll spend in each age :twilightsmile:

Can't wait for more adventures! Things get interesting now :moustache: I did not end up doing any fan art, but here's a random cute Woona image from the internet:

Maybe next chapter :applejackunsure:

As always, do whatever floats your boat and have a great day/night!