• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 1,904 Views, 27 Comments

Shattered Dreams and New Beginnings - Brian Jacko



Rainbow Dash meets a new competitor who may be able to outperform her.

  • ...
21
 27
 1,904

The New Rumor

It was a beautiful summer day and Rainbow Dash lay peacefully on a cloud soaking up the sun's rays. She took a bite of an apple and wiped the juice off her mouth. She was enjoying this day and relaxed as the wind blew her colorful mane around. She finished her apple and tossed the core away. She sat up and sighed. She was bored now and decided to go see what her friends were up to.

Rainbow Dash took off from her cloud and flew across Ponyville. She heard a familiar sound of giggling and laughing and looked down at the ground. There she saw Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootlaloo. They appeared to be carrying stacks of papers with them. Rainbow sighed and muttered to herself, "I wonder what those fillies are up to now. I'd better go check to see what they are up to." Rainbow Dash zipped down and stood before them. "Hey squirt! What are you all up to today?"

Scootaloo ran towards Rainbow and threw her front legs around her body. "Rainbow Dash!" she called out. "We hoped to run into you sometime today! We have been busy posting these fliers all around town."

Rainbow Dash cocked an eyebrow and asked, "What's the occasion for, squirt?"

Scootaloo proudly held up one of the fliers just inches away from her face.

Rainbow backed off a bit and read the flier. It was the annual series of race events for pegasus ponies. "Oh, so you girls are excited to see me win gold this year again, huh?" Rainbow said with a smirk.

Scootaloo closed her eyes and nodded yes proudly.

"But we are also excited about a new rumor going around!" Apple Bloom said.

"A new rumor?" Rainbow asked.

"Yeah!" Sweetie Belle yelled. "Ponies all across town have been talking about this new mysterious competitor who is supposed to be really good. Every pony has been talking about how this new pony is supposed to win the competition with ease."

Rainbow Dash threw herself on the ground and started rolling around while laughing. She put her hoof to her head and said, "You girls seriously think a pony can defeat Rainbow Dash? The fastest and greatest flier in all of Ponyville? Give me a break!"

Scootaloo had a confused look on her face. She walked closer to Rainbow and asked, "You mean you're not afraid of this new pony, Rainbow Dash?"

Rainbow put her front leg around Scootaloo and messed up her mane with her hoof. "Afraid?" she asked. "Are you kidding me, Scoots? Did you seem to forget that I win first place in this silly little competition every single year? I promise you that I'll do the same again and that I'll pass by all those ponies with flying colors just like I do every single time."

Scootaloo grinned at Rainbow's confidence. She looked into Rainbow's eyes and cried out, "And I'll be cheering for you the whole way through! I'm still your number one fan, aren't I Rainbow?"

Rainbow giggled a bit and said, "You sure are Scoots, I don't know if I'd be able to win without your cheering, so you'd better cheer for me like you have never cheered before if you want to see me dominate the race this year."

"I'll do my best, Rainbow. I know my hero won't let me down!" Scootaloo said.

Rainbow Dash patted Scootaloo on the head and said, "Have you girls seen Twilight around?"

Sweetie Belle pointed with her hoof and said, "Oh, we were just talking to her at the library a few moments ago. I'm sure she's still there."

Rainbow Dash hovered above the ground and said, "Thanks girls, I'm going to go see what she's up to. I expect you all to practice your cheers for me. That includes you Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom."

The three fillies yelled out in unison, "We will!"

Rainbow Dash gave them a salute and took off in the sky. "They really think some pony can beat me in an air race. Oh, just wait until I tell Twilight this!" Rainbow giggled to herself. Rainbow Dash touched ground and knocked on the library door.

Spike opened it and said, "Greetings Rainbow, come right on in."

Rainbow walked in and was surprised to find all five of her best friends talking around a table and having some tea.

Twilight shot up when she noticed Rainbow and said, "Hi Rainbow, come on in and join us."

Rainbow sat down next to Fluttershy and said, "Girls, you're not going to believe this, but I just saw Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo posting fliers around town about that annual upcoming series of race events for pegasus ponies. They told me that there is some kind of crazy rumor going around that some mysterious pony is supposed to dominate the race this year. Can you believe that? They truly think that a pony can defeat me in the air."

All the girls stared at Rainbow without saying anything.

Rainbow stared back at them and said, "What's the matter? Don't tell me you all actually believe those crazy rumors too?"

Fluttershy nervously spoke up, "Umm Rainbow, that's what we were all talking about here. Those rumors are true."

Rainbow became slightly annoyed now and said, "Well I don't believe it! No pony is going to even come close to stripping my title away as the greatest flier in all of Ponyville."

"Rainbow, just because you're currently the fastest flier in Ponyville doesn’t mean you're the fastest in all of Equestria. The world is a pretty big place and there are thousands of other pegasus ponies who want to be number one as well. Ponyville is such a small town compared to other cities like Manehatten and Las Pegasus," Twilight said.

Rainbow Dash fumed. "Hey, I'm not afraid. I can take any pony on. I am the best! I have proved it many times before, and I'll prove it again. You girls just watch me. I'm already tired of hearing about this new pony. See ya!"

Rainbow Dash got up and left the other five mares. She slammed the door on her way out.

"Well, golly!" Applejack said. "I reckon some pony needs to have a lil' time out. Can ya girls believe how cocky she is about this race? I think she forgot her lesson about bein' humble and everythin'. Maybe she needs a good swift kick in the backside again."

Rarity sighed and said, "I think the poor dear just feels threatened a bit and needs time to cool off. You do know how important it is to her to be able to win."

Pinkie Pie leapt in the air and cheered, "Oh! Oh! Oh! Can I throw a special party for her to cheer Dashie up? I can bake my special Pinkie Pie cupcakes. No pony can refuse a smile while eating one."

Twilight Sparkle took a sip of her tea and said, "Pinkie that's very thoughtful of you, but I don't think Rainbow is in the mood for a party right now and sometimes you can be a bit much, Pinkie. I think you girls better let me check on her."

Eventually, all the other girls went home and Twilight searched around Ponyville looking for Rainbow Dash. It didn't take her long to find her friend. She was napping on a cloud. "Rainbow Dash, wake up!" Twilight called out.

Rainbow Dash opened one eye and peeked down at Twilight. She picked her head up and asked, "What do you want, Twi? I'm in the middle of a nap here."

"You sure have been sleeping a lot lately. What happened to practicing for this years race, Rainbow?"Twilight asked.

Rainbow shot her an annoyed look and replied, "Hey! What did I just tell you not too long ago? I'm not worried at all about this race and I don't need any practice because I'm going to dominate every pony regardless of who competes."

Twilight smiled awkwardly and said, "But Rainbow Dash, what happened to your lesson about being hum.."

Rainbow Dash cut her off. "Twi, I'm really not in the mood to talk about this anymore. I already told you I'm going to win this race. I'm going to go home now. Don't bother me with this talk again." Rainbow Dash flew off to home as Twilight watched her disappear into the distance.

Twilight kicked a rock with her hoof and sighed. "Maybe Applejack was right. Maybe she did forget her lesson about humility and needs a new reminder. I just hope that she'll be ok." Twilight went back home and fell asleep. Maybe she would talk about this another time with Rainbow when she was in a better mood.