• Published 21st Jan 2024
  • 152 Views, 0 Comments

The Great War - PioneeringAuthor



The War of All Beasts brings hatred across all nations. Is Friendship or Love still magic?

  • ...
 0
 152

Chapter 7: Secret Deals

Karam stared at his ship, watching the sailors prepare the last things needed to head out. It was early fall now, and he’d been in Rikuma long enough. The adventure was thrilling, and the business deals were fantastic, but it was time to return home. Through his black mane the cold autumn winds blew, promising that Winter was on its way. Feeling the cold wind, Karam shivered slightly, glad that he wore several layers of tack to keep the bite away.
Though he was glad to be going home, part of him wished he could stay longer. This foreign land was beautiful, filled with unique sights, sounds, and tastes, and it felt like a great shame to leave.
Then again, he had been there for several weeks, and it would take a few more just to return home.
No, it was time to leave.

Emperor Umi had already given Karam many gifts as a finalization of their trading agreements, and the farewell gathering was filled with music and decorations all through the port city of Saikyo. Once more, the townscreatures gathered at the docks, watching the Saddle-Arabian sailors ready to leave.

“We are ready, Sire,” One of Karam’s advisors said with a bow.

Karam nodded to him and trotted over to Emperor Umi to say one final farewell.

“It was most pleasant meeting you, Strong Wind. May this be the beginning of a longer story between us,” Emperor Umi said through translators.

“Indeed, may it be the beginning of something better,” Karam agreed with one final bow.

The Kirin emperor smiled and nodded. His golden-yellow mane ebbed and flowed all around his white pelt and ornate robes, filled with the ancient magic of his ancestors. Something about the motion emphasized his goodwill and gratefulness.
Karam turned, striding toward his ship, and there, just a few yards away, Celestia bowed to him in farewell.
With the sun lighting up her colorful mane, she smiled at him once again. Yet one more time, Karam felt a tinge of competition, which he quickly shrugged away. Certainly, he couldn’t leave without talking to her one last time… mostly to practice his Equestrian speech.
Really.

“It was wonderful getting to know you, Strong Wind. May our nations become closer friends after this meeting,” Celestia said as she lowered her head and neck in a polite bow.
Karam stiffened at the mention of “Friends.”
Something about certain words like that left a bad taste on his tongue.

“Yes, Bright Sun. May we be strong allies for many centuries to come,” he replied with a bow of his own, extending his wings slightly as he did.

“Allies” was much easier to say than “Friends”, yes.

When he looked back up, he found himself studying the exact shade of her purple and pink eyes deeply.
How did one get such beautiful eyes, or such a comforting smile?
...smile… didn’t his mother have such a smile?
He… he couldn’t remember.
It had been too long since he had family.
He cursed himself for being sentimental.
Quickly he pushed away the thought and straightened up, returning back to his ship.

The citizens neared the docks, with Emperor Umi and Princess Celestia at the front, watching the ship pull out of the harbor.
Karam watched the two, memorizing everything about the moment-- the music from the streets, the banners waving in the breeze, Celestia’s mane, everything.
As he watched, Emperor Umi lifted one cloven hoof slightly, and his backwards-curving, white horn lit up with bright teal magic.
Gradually, the sea around the ship swelled, and the waves obeyed Umi’s thoughts.
Karam’s eyes widened and all his sailors halted, watching in surprise as the waves began carefully leading the ship out of the harbor.

Wait, he can control the sea? THAT is his destiny?” Someone murmured in Saddle-Arabian.

That’s incredible for an island nation!” Another gasped.

Karam himself was impressed, smirking quietly and watching as the waves moved them along, ‘till they were out of danger. In the distance, the teal glow of the emperor’s horn faded away, and the waves returned to their usual, rolling motion.
Seeing that it was safe, Karam looked up and made his own horn glow with his golden magic.
The wind picked up, filling the sails and pushing the ship to its top speed, heading for the desert sands of home.
Once more, everybeast returned to their work, leaving Karam staring out at the horizon with his usual, stoic expression.

His mind was still contemplating the Shogunate.
Never once had the shogun or one of his daimyo invited Karam over.
Not once.
Not one.
At all.
Was this usual for Rikuma’s culture?
Karam was a warrior.
He knew something was up.
Or was it?

Sire, may we ask something?”

The voice interrupted his train of thoughts, and Karam turned around sharply.
Standing before him were his advisors.

Speak,” He ordered, adjusting his wings on his sides.

“Considering that our time in Rikuma is over, may we discuss other matters at hoof?”
His advisor of economics, who was an Oryx, asked with a respectful bow.

“Of course. Speak your mind,” Karam said, glad for something to take his mind off the shogunate and politics.

The advisors were a bit tense, but the Oryx was brave and stepped forward.

Why are they being so tense? They should hurry up and get it over with.

Karam thought to himself while watching them all.

“Now that you have met Princess Celestia, tell us… do you consider her worthy for a marriage arrangement? If not, we could find a way to arrange a meeting with the leaders of Konlya so you may….

Karam tuned out whatever the Oryx was saying and thought to himself, These creatures have a race in their minds with only one contestant, which was an old Saddle-Arabian saying.

Raising a wing, Karam cut them off with, “Now is not the time to discuss my eventual marriage and continuing the family line, et cetera, thank you.”

"But, Great One, considering that you have now reigned for more than a millennia alone, when would be the most appropriate time? Should it not be now, when all are at peace and there is great economic growth?" The Oryx politely gulped, with sweat on his brow.

"Furthermore, My Lord, consider this: Celestia, and the Princess of Konlya both are Alicorns, such as yourself, and thus are eternal. You have all the time in the world to know them more personally, and thus, decide which would be a more appropriate bride! It needn't be rushed, but the first steps should be taken, yes?" A Camel advisor added quickly.

"If I have all the time in the world, then LET ME TAKE MY TIME!!" Karam said, his voice booming out at the last words.

All the advisors went flying back, and then quickly hid belowdeck. Karam groaned and folded his wings again, shaking his head in annoyance.
Before they left to Rikuma, RIGHT before the message came, they had pestered Karam about getting married.
Now, RIGHT as they leave, they do it once more.
What did they want to do? Force him into a corner and tie him to a female? He would not be chained! He would NOT be saddled! He most certainly would NOT be... be... be what, exactly?
Why was he so angry?
For a moment, his blue eyes softened, and he remembered a quieter time when the thought of family made him smile, and not shout.
...That was a naive, childish era that had long-ago ended. Now, his anger was constantly waiting in the back of his mind, eager to defend himself, prove himself, assert himself. He would lose nothing to anybeast. If war broke out, may the gods help his enemies.


While Karam was making eventual plans and thinking of long-term problems, someone else, in Rikuma, was making current plans for current irritations.

“No one will know?”

“This is of the utmost secrecy, I assure you.”

"You designed them to look Equestrian?" The Shogun said, examining the strange devices.

"Indeed, based off the armor the guards wore."

The Shogun made his horn glow, and picked up one device in his aura. He examined it over and over, and nodded.

"You truly are a master craftsman. Burn your designs, and if anybeast asks, say they are smuggled goods."