• Published 21st Jan 2024
  • 152 Views, 0 Comments

The Great War - PioneeringAuthor



The War of All Beasts brings hatred across all nations. Is Friendship or Love still magic?

  • ...
 0
 152

Chapter 1: The Message

“Your Highness, news from Rikuma!”

“News from Rikuma? After five hundred years?”

“Yes, Princess Celestia! See for yourself!”

Celestia took the scroll in her magic and unrolled it, scanning it with her eyes quickly.

“What does it say, Sister?” Luna asked, struggling to contain her excitement as she watched her older sister’s facial expressions closely.

Celestia’s eyes widened and she laughed, “WOW! They’re re-opening their borders! This is wonderful! We should go visit and extend our warmest greetings!”

Luna smiled and straightened up in her throne, and then frowned. “Which of us should go? We can’t all go; perhaps we should send Twilight?”

Celestia put one hoof to her chin and considered it.

“Twilight is the Princess of Friendship, but… she is still very young and new to all this. I’m not certain how it’d look to Rikuma’s royalty if we sent the youngest one. They are cautious toward foreigners, and we don’t want them being offended that we sent a young adult to see them. Then again, she and her friends DID help save Equestria several times, but I don’t know if Rikuma is aware of that.” Celestia murmured as she put her hoof down on her throne and turned to the messengers with, “Tell our finest ship to prepare to depart within a few days.”

The messenger pegasus bowed and then quickly flew out the doors to carry on his duty.

“You do have a point there. I think you should go,” Luna decided with a nod.

“Well, I’d love to go, but what about you? Wouldn’t you like to go? See new sights? Meet new creatures? Learn new things firsthoof?” Celestia asked as she adjusted her crown with her magic.

“I would, but I’m not certain how much they know about Nightmare Moon over there, and I’d rather not press my luck.”

“I see. I feel terrible leaving you behind, but I suppose I am the best choice for this situation. I’ll still be able to raise and lower the sun, so we don’t have to worry about that. Are you sure you’ll be all right without me? Last time we had to switch to each other’s duties, it didn’t go so well on either end, ha ha.”

“HA, no it didn’t, but I think I have a better idea of what to do now, and if I really need help, I can ask Twilight to assist me in the more public meetings and things. I will NOT need Starlight to intervene again, thank you.”

“Twilight has really stepped into her role, hasn’t she?”

“Indeed, she has, and I’m quite proud of her.”

“So am I,” Celestia murmured in a motherly tone as she hopped off her throne, “I guess I better start packing. If I take an airship, we'll arrive in a week, perhaps more, and then I'll have to stay for all the meetings and arrangements. Hopefully I'll be home no later than a month, or month and a half.”

Luna hopped off her throne and said, “Should I send a message to The Council of Friendship?”

“Of course! Thank you!”

Luna paused.

“You really are thinking about this deeply, aren’t you? Normally you’d think of sending out letters yourself,” She noted with a worried frown.

Celestia twitched her wings and sighed heavily, dropping her smile for a brief moment.
“If I make one wrong move… Rikuma could shut out the world again. We’ve always had some vague trade back and forth, as well as some Rikumese citizens coming here, but… all that could stop entirely. Everything needs to be perfect, and I don't know what 'perfect' means to Rikuma now. I can't just smile and be warm to them, say the things I always say. That may work here in Equestria, but I am uncertain what their preferences are in Rikuma. I have to put on my best face and voice, and hope it's enough.”

Luna nodded, and looked away.

“I wish I could offer advice,” the younger sister sighed heavily, “But I know even less about Rikuma than you.”

For a moment, Celestia looked away. Part of her wanted to jump in excitement, but the other part had a sinking feeling that disaster was looming. After so long in isolation, how would Rikuma react to her? Even if she was on her absolute, best behavior, her absolute best COULD seem offensive, and where would that lead?
Indeed, it was a lot to contemplate, and it got Celestia pacing back and forth, talking to herself and her sister.


It wasn’t long before Twilight was reading the news alongside her husband, friends, and their husbands.
Emotions were mixed.

“THIS IS AWESOME!” Rainbow Dash shouted as she hovered in the air alongside Soarin, who agreed with a quick nod of his head.

“This is a mighty big event for the whole world,” Applejack agreed as she adjusted her hat with one of her forehooves.

All the others whispered, shouted, giggled, or cheered in excitement. After five hundred years of Rikuma being mostly closed off, the nation was opening up to outsiders! Wow! History was being written once again.
The news spread like wildfire around Ponyville, Canterlot, and the rest of Equestria.
By the time Celestia was stepping on her royal ship to leave, at least half the nation was aware of the news, and many more were hearing about it every minute.



Of course, Equestria was not the only nation that knew.

Karam Al-Asif, Malik of Saddle-Arabia, was already on his way to Rikuma.

He received word a week or two before Celestia, swiftly made plans, and prepared to leave. Before the vessel departed, Karam's advisor, who followed the Zarfaim faith, blessed the journey with a prayer. Though Karam himself was not exactly religious, the long, calming prayer helped soothe his nerves.
As they sailed, Karam watched over the endless waves meeting the sky above, and considered what he wanted to say to the Rikuman royalty. Like Celestia, he knew very little of the cultures or customs, and what he did know was probably outdated. When he arrived, he had to be observant, proactive, and patient. The land was a country of honor, similar to Saddle-Arabia, so perhaps the emperor of Rikuma would already approve of Karam. Hopefully, all would go smoothly, new alliances could be made, and trade could go between the countries. Any chance for economic growth had to be taken.
One wrong step would destroy it all. Karam took a deep breath.

What were they like?
What was their code of honor?
What kind of food did they serve?

Yes, food was just as important as the other two. Definitely.

In his mind were many questions, and he was excited to get answers with his own eyes, ears, and hooves, instead of sending another ambassador or messenger. No, this time, Karam was going on a mission himself.


ISLAND NATION OF RIKUMA

Everything about it was different from his homeland of Saddle-Arabia. Instead of being inhabited by Equines or similar creatures, this land was filled with the Kirin, a species descended from ancient creatures called Qilin. They had bodies shaped like horses, with some scales, and some fur. Their hooves were cloven like camels or goats, and they all had one long, single horn curving backwards from their Equine-like heads.
Like Saddle-Arabians, they did not go around without clothes. Covering their fur and scales were ornate, layered kimono that came in various styles and patterns. Indeed, every one of the adult citizens were clothed, though the children were still allowed to go around bare, for now. When he arrived, Karam was impressed by the sight of all the colors and patterns of the kimono. As the ship pulled into the harbor, Karam noted how different the architecture of the buildings was from his homeland. The ships were also unique, with different sails and strange hulls. Karam’s blue eyes darted left and right, taking it all in wonder. As for the citizens, they, too, were impressed by Karam and his advisors, and they gathered around the ship in awe. After centuries of isolation with only an occasional trade ship coming through, the citizens were astounded by how different Karam’s ship and passengers looked.

Of course, this moment was interrupted by the royal procession.
The crowds halted and bowed low to the ground as heavily-armored guards clanked and clacked down the stone path leading to the harbor.

Seeing that he was getting a proper welcome, Karam became serious and formal. It was time to disembark, and begin his mission.
With every step he took, his blankets and coverings swayed and moved, and the strong muscles in his legs and shoulders quietly stretched and flexed in a mix of excitement and tension. Everything mattered. Still, Karam tried to relax, and and took a deep breath.
The sunlight caught on his golden tassels, coins, and embroidery on his layered tack that completely covered his back, hindquarters, and sides. The sky blue and black colors contrasted with his yellow-orange, dun coat, and draped down to his dark brown legs. On his head was a matching halter that wrapped around his horn and the back of his head, pushing his black forelock towards his groomed, black mane. Over his flank was an extra, sky-blue covering fastened to his back with a few ornate ropes, and on this covering was an embroidered version of his destiny mark: a sandy tornado.
Once he was on land, he spread one of his golden-yellow wings to signal his advisors to stay back politely, allowing Karam to focus on the royals. The Kirin were giving him a proper welcome, and he was doing the same.

The Rikuman guards filed out and parted, allowing their emperor to gracefully step towards Karam.
Like all other Rikuman Kirin, the white-pelted emperor was robed in a kimono, but his was made of bright gold fabric with silver and jade-colored embroidery, showing ocean waves, cranes, and snake-like Dragons flying and playing all over the fabric’s vast expanse. From a hole in the back came the emperor’s long, lion-like tail, with its wide, fluffy, golden hair that matched the flowing, golden mane on the back of his neck and trailing down his chin. Through inner magic, his mane and tail seemed to be constantly flowing around him like water, and his long, brown horn vaguely glowed with strong power, contrasting the soft look in his brown eyes.
The Kirin emperor offered Karam a shallow bow, and Karam bowed back.
Already Karam was liking this place; they understood respect.
A Kirin male trotted up and waited for something, looking intently at his emperor.
The emperor turned and spoke some words in a language Karam never heard before: Rikumese. In another moment, the Kirin servant nodded and then turned to Karam.
Of course, Karam brought a translator as well, but since he’d never actually set hoof in Rikuma, Karam was relieved that a native speaker was here to translate. Surely, between the two of them, the leaders could speak.

In Saddle-Arabian, the Rikuman translator bowed and said, “My name is Iwa Chikafusa, and I am here to translate for you. Our Most Esteemed Emperor has heard of your coming, and is here to personally inform you that he is glad you are here. He has heard many legends of the power of the Wind-king, and is delighted to meet you.

Karam found it challenging to not laugh at the name “Iwa Chikafusa”, but managed to keep formal as he nodded and then turned to his own translator and whispered, “Was that accurate?

Karam’s translator, who was a white-furred Camel, bowed and nodded in assurance.

Turning back to the Rikuman translator, who was a brown-pelted Kirin, Karam asked, “Am I permitted to know the Emperor’s name?

After a bit of talking to said emperor, Chikafusa answered with, “His Most Esteemed Grace allows you to know that he is called Umi Arashi, and he permits you to call him ‘Emperor Umi.'" He knows that you are King Karam, the Strong Wind. How would you like him to address you?

He may address me as Strong Wind. Tell him that I am equally excited to meet him and learn more about his marvelous country.

The translator carried the message, and once more Emperor Umi bowed to him in respect. The Emperor gestured with his tail, indicating that he wanted Karam to walk beside him, and Karam gladly trotted over. Though Karam was taller than the emperor, he did his best to make all his movements with the utmost respect, and the emperor took note and gracefully walked beside the tall, muscled Alicorn. On the walk to the palace, the translator served as tour guide, pointing out important buildings and explaining things to Karam, answering any questions he had. Karam’s heart raced in excitement as he looked around the foreign city in awe. Truly, it was beautiful, and unlike anything he’d seen in all his centuries of life. One thing that he did note was how the creatures were bowing so low to the emperor.
Did the people worship their ruler here?
Karam decided it was wise to not ask. All he hoped was that nobeast would start worshipping Karam too. Please, no. He had enough of that problem at home.
Besides, he was here to talk trading terms, not philosophy.


“THIS IS INCREDIBLE! I can’t believe it! After FIVE CENTURIES of isolation they are finally opening their harbors and gateways? This is one of the biggest historic events since Nightmare Moon’s redemption!” Twilight Sparkle cried as she began flying around her library, searching for all the books she had on Rikuma.

“Yeah but aren’t there Rikuma Kirin livin' in Equestria? Yes, this is pretty big, but let’s not lose our heads over it,” Applejack pointed out as she adjusted her hat.

“Well it’s an incredibly tiny portion that have moved to Equestria and told us about their nation,” Silver Shill pointed out as he patted Applejack on the shoulder, “So there’s still a lot we don’t know.”

“EXACTLY! Not just reports from the occasional merchant, or the rare few who decided to move, no, now we can GO THERE!” Twilight declared with a wave of her forelegs while she used her magic to lift some books off the shelf quickly.

“WE SHOULD HAVE A PARTY! A HUGE ONE! INVITE ALL THE HISTORY LOVERS TO COME!” Pinkie shouted as she began bouncing up and down.

“TOTALLY! Wait, should we have a party for this? It’s amazing, but is this really something to get excited over?” Rainbow Dash asked as she hovered in the air and crossed her forelegs.

“I’m all up for a party,” Soarin said with a shrug.

“Not too loud of a party,” Fluttershy murmured from where she was in a corner, quietly brushing some of her mane out.

Pinkie Pie was already writing down a huge list of ideas for a Rikuma-themed party, rambling on about cakes and confetti with Cheese Sandwich at her side, throwing in as many of his ideas as he could. Nearby, Rarity and Fancy Pants gave measured, sensible input as well.
It wasn’t long before the excitement spread among the servants in Twilight’s castle, and then out into the town.
By the time Celestia was boarding an airship to fly to Rikuma, the entire nation was buzzing with the news and surprise.

The message was received.