• Published 16th Jan 2024
  • 782 Views, 30 Comments

LOVE, SUNSET AND OTHER DELUSIONS ! - KozLeMage



When she was in middle school, Sunset Shimmer suffered from what is called 'Middle-second syndrome'. Finding her past embarrassing, Sunset will try everything to start her high school journey quietly after moving out from her city.

  • ...
3
 30
 782

IV - Shining Armor, the black knight of the evil organization

As soon as the bell of lunch break rang, Pinkie Pie turned around and faced Sunset with a mischievous grin.

“So, Sunset.” Pinkie Pie started.

Sunset rose her glare to her pink haired friend as she put her notebook in her bag. “Hm?”

“I was wondering…” Pinkie continued, “Who do you think is the cutest in our class?”

Sunset raised an eyebrow. “The cutest? You mean the cutest boy?”

“Boy, girl, whatever.” Pinkie Pie shrugged. “It’s twenty twenty-three, I’m not judging.”

Sunset rolled her eyes, “Well I don’t know, I didn’t put much thought into it.” Sunset replied with a lie, as Rarity’s head popped up into her mind.

“Liar!” Pinkie chuckled, “I know you did! And to be fair, we have a good batch this year.” She said with the eyes of a predator. “Between Flash Sentry, Thunderlane or even Soarin!” She stated, pointing to the three boys who were chatting in front of the class.

Sunset stared at them, unimpressed. “Well, why don’t you tell me who you think is the cutest first?” She smirked.

Pinkie frowned and pouted, “Hey! Not fair, I asked first!”

“Don’t care.”

Pinkie narrowed her eyes at her friend but soon retrieved her cheerful composure. “Well…” She started as she looked around the classroom to be sure no one was listening. “To be honest with you… There is this… One guy…” She finished with a small taint of a blush on her cheeks.

‘Uh? That’s the first time I actually see her-Wait is she… Blushing?’ Sunset thought as she realized her friend was about to confess something really important.

“Wait, Pinkie.” Sunset quickly added before her friend could say anything. “I was joking. I don’t want to put you in an uncomfortable position, you really don’t have to tell me.”

“But we’re friends!” Pinkie joyfully stated, “That’s what friends does!”

“What? Put each other in uncomfortable situations?”

“No, silly!” Pinkie Pie giggled. “We talk about our crush! That’s what high school girls does!”

“Really?” Sunset doubtfully asked.

“Really!”

“Well…” Sunset finished putting her school stuff away in her bag and leaned her elbows on her desk. “Go ahead Pinkie, tell me. Is he in our class?”

Pinkie’s blush quickly came back as she vigorously nodded.

“Yup!” She stated.

Sunset waited for a few seconds but Pinkie Pie patiently stared at her, a smile on her face.

“Well… Are you going to tell me? Or…” Sunset said.

“I was going to.” Pinkie chuckled. “But now that I have to, I can’t!”

Sunset just blankly stared at her.

“Weird, uh?” Pinkie laughed harder.

“Sunset Shimmer?” An unknown voice behind Pinkie Pie asked.

Sunset looked up and saw a girl that, Sunset guessed, was at least two or three years older than her with black hair tight into a bun. She wore thick glasses on her nose.

“Yes?”

“Oh, hi Raven!” Pinkie greeted.

The girl, apparently named Raven, glanced at Pinkie before her gaze turned back to Sunset again.

“My name is Raven Inkwell.” She presented herself. “I’m in the disciplinary committee.”

‘Disciplinary committee?’ Sunset thought as she became livid. ‘What did I do?!’

Seeing Sunset’s expression, Raven quickly added, “You are not into trouble by any means, if that can reassure you.”

“Ooooh…” Pinkie seemed disappointed. “For a moment, I thought you were a thug.” She said at Sunset.

Sunset decided to ignore her, “Can I help you with something?”

“Actually, yes.” Raven stated as she put her glasses back in place with the palm of her hand. “I looked into your files and saw that you had good grades in literature back in middle school.”

“Wait, I thought only the school president could-” Pinkie started, but was quickly cut short by Raven.

“And I thought that,” The black haired girl continued. “You maybe wanted to join my club.” The girl stated as she handed to Sunset a paper.

Sunset grabbed it and saw it was a poster for the literature club of the school.

‘Oh right, Pinkie told me there was a bunch of clubs in this school.’ She thought. ‘I guess it wouldn’t hurt to join one.’

“Last time I heard of a literature club… It didn’t end very well.” Pinkie looked quite serious, mimicking putting a rope around her neck.

Once again, Sunset decided to ignore her.

“Uh, thanks! I’ll keep that in mind!” Sunset stated, as she put the paper in her jacket’s pocket.

Raven Inkwell slowly nodded. “On that note.” She turned around and left the classroom as soon as she came in.

“That was weird.” Pinkie stated.

“Coming from you, that’s-” Sunset’s eyes caught a disrupted Twilight Sparkle at the front of the class, frantically searching something in her bag. “Uh, I’ll be back Pinkie.”

Sunset got up from her chair and walked toward Twilight. Twilight saw her and jumped at Sunset’s feet.

“Woah!” Sunset exclaimed with surprise.

“God Princess of Flames, it’s terrible!” Twilight cried out.

“What is going on now?” Sunset knew it wasn’t that serious, after a week and a half in her company, she learned how Twilight Sparkle could be. “And if you tell me you forgot your wallet again…”

“Worse!” Twilight exclaimed.

“What is it then?” Sunset crossed her arms, looking down at the girl at her feet.

Twilight mumbled something but it was too quiet for Sunset to hear anything.

“I didn’t quite catch that.” Sunset stated.

“I forgot my lunch…” Twilight said, a bit louder.

Sunset raised an eyebrow and shrugged, “So? What’s the big deal? Just go to the cafeteria.”

“I… Don’t have any money on me right now…” Twilight admitted.

Sunset stared at her and made a mental note to ask her mother if it wasn’t too late to change school.

“Of course you don’t.”


Sunset finished her half of the sandwich she shared with the glasses wearing girl and watched as Twilight was enjoying her own half.

“You owe me.” Sunset stated.

“Hm-hm.” Twilight Sparkle nodded.

They were both sitting on a bench near the entrance of the school.

“So, care to tell me how you managed to forget your lunch?” Sunset asked her.

“I woke up late this morning, and since the Black Knight had an early shift at work today, he wasn’t there to wake me up.” Twilight admitted, “I spent the night chasing down a Nocturna.”

“A… What now?”

“A Nocturna! It’s a magical being that only appears at night!” Twilight joyfully explained, “I wanted one as a pet!”

Sunset gritted her teeth. ‘Keep calm, Sunset.’

“Twilight, I’m pretty sure this animal isn’t real.” She stated.

“Of course it is, I saw one, near the park two blocks away from where we live! I even took a picture!” Twilight said as she grabbed her phone. She handed it out to Sunset.

Sunset grabbed it and narrowed her eyes, “Twilight… It’s pitch black, I don’t see anything.”

“Well…” Twilight chuckled. “It kind of was the middle of the night.”

“Are you sure it wasn’t, like, a black cat or something?”

Twilight put a finger on her chin as she thought. “Hum, I’m pretty sure I would recognize a mere black cat if I saw one.” Then, Sunset could swear she saw a lightbulb appeared on top of the purple haired girl’s head. “I know! What if, you come with me tonight?! I’ll show you it’s real.”

Sunset made a forced laugh, “Yeah, sure.”

Twilight narrowed her eyes, “You’re being sarcastic again, aren’t you?”

“No, no, I’m serious!” Sunset replied.

Twilight beamed with hope in her eyes, “Really?”

“And that, was sarcasm.” Sunset smirked.

Twilight frowned and was about to say something unpleasant to Sunset, but she felt someone gently tap her shoulder. She turned around and faced a tall pink haired girl. It wasn’t the same shade of pink as Pinkie Pie’s hair, it was a paler kind of pink.

“Hum, excuse me I…” The girl seemed uneasy.

Twilight quickly jumped to her feet and took a fighting stance.

“Are you from the evil organization?!” She shouted as she grabbed the nearest stick of wood and used it as a sword.

“Hum… No?” The pink haired girl squeaked as she tried to hide her face behind her very long hair.

Sunset quickly grabbed the stick Twilight was menacingly pointing toward the poor girl and threw it away.

“Excuse her.” Sunset stated as she glared at Twilight. She turned around to face the girl, and now that she was standing up, Sunset realized this girl was easily a head taller than her. “What can we do for you, uh…”

The shy girl looked away and whispered something.

“Uh, one more time please.” Sunset tried.

“My… My name is…” It almost looked like the girl was about to cry.

“Fluttershy?” This time, it was a voice Sunset could recognize. When Sunset turned around, she saw Pinkie Pie walking towards them, a bag of candy in her hand. “You’re already making friends with Sunset?! That’s great! I told you she was nice!” She stated as she put candies in her mouth.

“Oh, hum, no I wasn’t...” Fluttershy’s eyes grew wide. “You’re Sunset Shimmer!”

“That’s how my parents decided to call me, yup.” Sunset nodded. “And I guess you’re Fluttershy.”

“Y-Yes, hum sorry about… that.” Fluttershy quietly cleared her throat and looked at her feet. “I kind of heard your conversation with your friend… Not that I was eavesdropping or anything!” She quickly added.

“I knew it!” Twilight jumped in front of Sunset, making the shy girl flinch. “She’s a spy! Quick, God Princess of Flames weed need to-Oww!” She whined in pain as Sunset grabbed her by the ear and pushed her out of the way.

“Stop that!” Sunset ordered at Twilight. She then looked back at Fluttershy and tried to put the most welcoming smile she could on her face. “Please, continue.”

“Hum… As I was saying…” With a drop of sweat on her forehead, the shy girl continued with such a small voice Sunset had to concentrate to actually understand what the girl was saying. “A… A friend of mine lost her cat. A black cat. So… When I heard you two talking about a black cat, I got curious and then I, hum…” She looked away. “I’m sorry.”

“Oh, right! Rainbow Dash did mention her cat disappeared two days ago… She was kind of worried.” Pinkie Pie put a hand on her friend’s shoulder, “And don’t worry Fluttershy! Sunset here hasn’t a mean bone in her body, right?”

Sunset raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms.

“Or, maybe she does.” Pinkie Pie added, suspiciously.

Both girls exchanged a smirk. “It’s okay Fluttershy.” Sunset chuckled. “Well, I don’t know about that cat, but maybe Twilight here can help you with that, she’s the one who saw it after all.”

“It was a Nocturna! And a powerful one! It was, at least, level eight or nine!” Twilight stated, now standing next to Sunset. “And I don’t know if it’ll be a good idea to share this kind of information to the… Enemy.” She finished, glaring at Fluttershy.

The poor girl hidden herself behind Pinkie Pie. “Enemy?” She squeaked.

Sunset sighed, “Alright, I have an idea.” Sunset explained. “After school, Twilight and I will go get that cat-”

“Nocturna!”

“-and will see if that’s the one you’re looking for.” Sunset finished.

“Oooh! I have a better idea!” Pinkie called, raising her hand. “The four of us can go! It’ll be fun!”

“I don’t see why not.” Sunset shrugged. “It’s not like I have something better to do anyway.”

“Well… If that’s okay with you…” Fluttershy whispered.

“Of course.” Sunset beamed at her.

“Aww, Sunny you’re so sweet!” Pinkie Pie giggled as she grabbed Sunset’s left arm.

At that sight, Twilight pouted and jealously grabbed Sunset’s other arm. Sunset rolled her eyes, but the frown on her face almost seem forced.

Once the school day was over, Fluttershy waited for the three other girls in front of the school’s gate and the four of them started heading toward the designated park Twilight talked about earlier.

“Is this the place?” Sunset asked when then four girls finally arrived.

It was small park with a few trees and games for kids, like swings and slides. Sunset thought it would be a great place to have a picnic if the weather would allow it.

“It is…” Twilight replied with a serious tone, watching her surroundings. “I can feel its evil presence!”

“Yeah, yeah…” Sunset looked around but there wasn’t any cat in the horizon.

“What are we waiting for?” Pinkie exclaimed as she took the lead in front of the three other girls. “Let’s go look for it!” She then started running toward the nearest swing installed next to a tiny sand box designed for kids.

‘You just wanted to play.’ Sunset thought as she watched the girl climbing on top of the swing.

“P-Pinkie be careful!” Fluttershy called, following her friend to be sure she didn’t get in any kind of trouble.

Sunset then felt something rub against her shin. “Woah!” She exclaimed, taken by surprise.

“Meow!” A small black cat looked at her.

“Nocturna!” Twilight beamed as she pointed it with her finger. “See?!”

“And like I guessed,” Sunset started, grabbing the cat and petting it on the head. “It’s just a cat.”

“Don’t be fooled by its illusions spell!” Twilight warned. “I can sense its power from here!”

“Hey Fluttershy!” Sunset called, “Is that your friend’s cat?”

Fluttershy, who was helping Pinkie Pie get back on her feet after falling from the swing, quickly joined them and grinned at the sight of the cat.

“Luna!” Fluttershy exclaimed as she rubbed the cat’s ears.

“Meow!”

“So, I guess it is then.” Sunset handed the cat to Fluttershy, but just when the shy girl was going to take it in her arms, the cat managed to get free from Sunset’s grip and ran away.

“Oh no…” Sunset started.

Pinkie Pie barked out of laughter, grabbed Fluttershy by her wrist and started running after the cat. “Quick!” She called. “Everyone! Grab the Nocturna!”

Poor Fluttershy had a hard time following Pinkie’s pace, “P-Pinkie wait!”

Twilight Sparkle quickly followed them with enthusiasm, “She’s right! Come on Sunset!”

Sunset grunted but did as she was told, “Pinkie! Don’t start getting into her delusions!” She whined.

After a long and hard three hours’ chase, Sunset finally managed to catch the cat. “I’m not letting you go this time!”

All the girls seemed exhausted excepted for Pinkie Pie, who was still full of energy. The sun had disappeared into the night sky half an hour ago.

This time, Sunset carefully handed the cat to Fluttershy who took it into her arms.

“T-Thanks again girls.” A thankful Fluttershy stated with a genuine smile. “I’ll let Rainbow Dash know what you did for her.”

“My pleasure.” Sunset smiled back.

The girls parted ways and Sunset Shimmer headed towards her home, Twilight Sparkle hanging tight on Sunset’s arm as she was sliding on the ground with her wheel shoes.

“We had fun today.” Twilight jovially stated.

“As much as it pains me to admit it,” Sunset started. “We did.”

“We should do that more often!” A high pitched voice came called behind them.

“Gah!” Both Sunset and Twilight flinched in surprise.

Sunset turned around and faced Pinkie Pie. “Don’t do that! I almost had a heart attack!”

Pinkie’s only reply was a giggle.

“Why are you following us?” Sunset asked, resuming her walk.

“I just had this ‘Pinkie feeling’ that something interesting is going to happen!”

“I don’t know if I should be afraid or not.” Sunset replied at that statement.

When the three of them arrived at Sunset’s home, they entered the living room and Sunset noticed a man she didn’t know sat at the kitchen table, speaking with her little brother. He was a lot taller than the girls and had pale skin with blue hair.

“Oh, here they are!” Sunburst greeted as the man quickly jumped to his feet, staring intensely at Twilight.

Twilight let out a small gasp as she jumped in front of Sunset and took a fighting stance. “The Black Knight!”

The ‘Black Knight’ just patiently glared at Twilight as he was waiting for her to make the first move. Sunset could feel the intensity in the room.

“Uh, what’s going on?” Sunburst asked.

Pinkie seemed like she was having the time of her life though. “Are they going to fight?!” She asked to Sunset.

Twilight smirked and ran toward the man, she tried to land a kick but the man easily dodged it. She then grabbed a lamp on a small table and threw it at her target. “Thunderous Nightmare!” She called as it was some sort of special attack.

The man deflected it and the lamp smashed on the nearest wall.

“Hey!” Both Sunset and Sunburst called, outraged.

“Don’t worry. I’m used to this.” The man calmly stated. “It won’t take long.”

Twilight ran towards him again and jumped on the kitchen table.

“Twilight!” Sunset called, afraid the girl was going to hurt herself.

Then, she jumped from the table and launched herself, aiming for the man’s face with her fist. “Nightmare Punch!”

“That’s enough!” He yelled, slapping Twilight right in the face as she was still in the air.

She fell on her back with a whine of pain, stunned.

The man sighed and put a hand through his hair, “I’m sorry about that.” He stated, then he pointed at the lamp. “I’ll pay you back, of course.”

“Uh, don’t worry about that but…” Sunburst stated, “What just happened?”

The man faced Sunset, “So you’re Sunset, uh?” He pointed to Twilight, still on the ground behind him, with his thumb. “You are a friend of this fury?”

“Uh, I guess I am.” Sunset replied, scratching the back of her head.

“I don’t know how you do it.” He said with a chuckle. “I’m Shining, by the way. Shining Armor.”

“Nice to… Meet you?” Sunset tried.

“Listen,” Shining Armor started. “I know she’s crazy, with all her delusions about that Nightmare Moon thingy, or those invisible borders but…” He sighed. “What I’m trying to say is, thanks for taking care of her.”

“Uh, you’re welcome?”

Shining Armor grabbed the knocked out Twilight and threw her on his shoulder. “I’ll see you guys around.” He stated as he left with his sister who was still dazed from the blow she received.

Sunset and Sunburst stared as Shining closed the front door behind him. They both exchanged a look before looking back at the door again.

“I told you something interesting was going to happen!” Pinkie’s high pitched voice exclaimed from behind them.

“Gah!” Both Sunset and Sunburst yelped in surprise.

Sunset forgot she was there.